Quickfire Questions and Answers Thread (Tactic and Training Questions Only)

What factors influence a player's chances of successfully learning a player trait? Is there an age limit to that? Consequently, which is the ideal time to teach PPMs to a newgen (when he's in u19s or when he's an impact sub for thr first team)?

Any links/articles on this topic would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

• Replies 17.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

13 hours ago, aritra14 said:

What factors influence a player's chances of successfully learning a player trait? Is there an age limit to that?

Not my area of expertise, but one thing I know is that younger players are more likely to successfully adopt a new trait than older ones and learn it more quickly.

As for your other questions, hopefully someone more knowledgeable on the subject will jump in to help :thup:

Your coaches will tell you if they're too old, I can't remember the exact wording but it's something like "it'll be a waste of time trying this". I did read, trying to teach a young player a PPM will take away training time from them so 19+ would probably be a good age 

14 hours ago, aritra14 said:

What factors influence a player's chances of successfully learning a player trait? Is there an age limit to that? Consequently, which is the ideal time to teach PPMs to a newgen (when he's in u19s or when he's an impact sub for thr first team)?

Any links/articles on this topic would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

13 minutes ago, Experienced Defender said:

Not my area of expertise, but one thing I know is that younger players are more likely to successfully adopt a new trait than older ones and learn it more quickly.

As for your other questions, hopefully someone more knowledgeable on the subject will jump in to help :thup:

8 minutes ago, Johnny Ace said:

Your coaches will tell you if they're too old, I can't remember the exact wording but it's something like "it'll be a waste of time trying this". I did read, trying to teach a young player a PPM will take away training time from them so 19+ would probably be a good age 

Age can certainly be a factor.  "You can't teach old dogs new tricks" as the saying goes.

Conflicting Traits will prevent new ones being learned, so (silly example) a player with the Trait "gets forward often" won't be able to learn "stays back at all times".

A player's Versatility can influence how many and how quickly Traits can be learnt.  Check the coach reports for an indication of this attribute.

And speaking of attributes, they can impact which Traits may be learned.  So more technical players may have a greater propensity to learn technical Traits for example.

Players can pick Traits up from other players, either via Mentoring groups or naturally by training closely with them day in day out.

And finally the quality of your coaches can have an impact.  Don't expect rubbish coaches to teach many Traits.  Likewise don't expect defensive coaches to teach attacking Traits.

TL;DR - listen to your coach advice and use your common sense.  If a coach doesn't think a player can learn a certain Trait he's probably right, and if you think it'll be a waste of time, you're probably right too :thup:.

1 hour ago, herne79 said:

Age can certainly be a factor.  "You can't teach old dogs new tricks" as the saying goes.

Conflicting Traits will prevent new ones being learned, so (silly example) a player with the Trait "gets forward often" won't be able to learn "stays back at all times".

A player's Versatility can influence how many and how quickly Traits can be learnt.  Check the coach reports for an indication of this attribute.

And speaking of attributes, they can impact which Traits may be learned.  So more technical players may have a greater propensity to learn technical Traits for example.

Players can pick Traits up from other players, either via Mentoring groups or naturally by training closely with them day in day out.

And finally the quality of your coaches can have an impact.  Don't expect rubbish coaches to teach many Traits.  Likewise don't expect defensive coaches to teach attacking Traits.

TL;DR - listen to your coach advice and use your common sense.  If a coach doesn't think a player can learn a certain Trait he's probably right, and if you think it'll be a waste of time, you're probably right too :thup:.

Thanks man, very helpful, didn't know the quality of the Coach and thei orientation were important.

В 12.12.2020 в 16:30, NotSoSpecialOne сказал:

How fast your team attacks in transition. 

With Counter your team will look to attack quickly during transition, to try and exploit potential space in the opposition formation after winning the ball back. The downside is that players can be become isolated and also potentially lose possession again.

Hold Shape has your team approach the transition with more patience. Slow things down so your teammates can get into position before launching an attack and players are less likely to be isolated. Downside is it also gives the opposition a chance to get back into their defensive shape.

How my team will build attacks if I dont tick this options? 

On 11/12/2020 at 23:56, Footix said:

Playing as Newcastle, first season, no transfers. Is it remotely possible to play an even game against Liverpool at Anfield? I've been trying various things now but they always play me off the pitch. Worst result so far is 8-0, "best" 5-0. Mane, Salah, Firmino ... those guys are ridiculously OP. 

Any advice? 

I've been using a 4-4-1-1 but I'm on FMT so I can chop and change without worrying about familiarity. So, open for input!

I don't usually replay matches, but this particular game is so insanely hard it's funny. Just trying for learning here. I don't mind losing, but not in this manner!

I know that feeling! 

I had my best results using a 4-4-2 with PF(s) am AF up top and wingers on attack. Wingers also set to mark their super fullbacks. Attacking mentality with standard loe and dl, mixed passing and tempo. Hold shape and counter. Then pray. 

13 minutes ago, rtnn said:

I know that feeling! 

I had my best results using a 4-4-2 with PF(s) am AF up top and wingers on attack. Wingers also set to mark their super fullbacks. Attacking mentality with standard loe and dl, mixed passing and tempo. Hold shape and counter. Then pray. 

That's a bold set of instructions against them, close your eyes and pray sounds about right!

2 hours ago, rtnn said:

I know that feeling! 

Ha! I managed to get a 2-1 (good goal and last minute peno vs deflected goal) victory at Anfield. We kept them to outside shots and headers off corners for most of their shots and play a 523 that tries to have possession and be positive. In FM20, I spent the first 3 seasons getting absolutely thumped by them though. This season City blitzed us 5-0 so maybe they'll be the bullies for a while.

image.png.ccbeb251943cd82b93d1f0d2aa1c452a.png

Edited by CaptCanuck

On 16/12/2020 at 01:05, rtnn said:

I know that feeling! 

Being on FMT I decided to give the "instant result" button a try. Result? 11-1. :lol:

At least I have WBA and Fulham in the next two, should be possible to win both. 

This will probably be a shot in the dark, but does anyone have any insight into developing staff attributes?

Curious to know if there's anything we as managers can do to push their growth towards their staff PA ceiling or guide their attribute growth? Be it working in a specific role, gaining coaching badges etc. I posit the question because I'm a fan of bringing in loyal and usually noteworthy players into my backroom staff when they retire and usually they start on the bad side as you'd expect. 

13 hours ago, NotSoSpecialOne said:

This will probably be a shot in the dark, but does anyone have any insight into developing staff attributes?

Curious to know if there's anything we as managers can do to push their growth towards their staff PA ceiling or guide their attribute growth? Be it working in a specific role, gaining coaching badges etc. I posit the question because I'm a fan of bringing in loyal and usually noteworthy players into my backroom staff when they retire and usually they start on the bad side as you'd expect. 

Coaching qualifications should definitely improve their ability, so encourage that as often as possible.

37 minutes ago, kingjericho said:

image.png.087a0a76d646c40a93cf42b7181e399d.png

xG against should be a low value, right? 

I'm currently 2nd best in goals conceded but I think this value looks high.

In a perfect world the polygon should be like the red I drew, is that correct?

The polygon would actually be like it is for good. A smaller circle is bad. So on the xg yes you want a lower number for xg against, but the polygon will be wider for lower compared to the league. A little counter intuitive

10 hours ago, 04texag said:

The polygon would actually be like it is for good. A smaller circle is bad.

I believe this has changed in the 21.2:

- Team stats showing goals conceded to be 'worst' when it should be 'best'

Don't quote me on it, but I'm pretty sure my Conceded per Game part of the polygon is now correctly smaller (low value = good, high value = bad). Would be good if someone else could confirm though, since that Changelist note could be meant for something else.

Is the "Move Into Channels" a contradicting PI for striker roles that drop deep (F9,DLFs,TQ)? Does the instruction cause them to be in higher positions than they need to? I've tried to observe it by watching full highlights but couldn't figure out tbh :lol:

8 minutes ago, Halbraum said:

Is the "Move Into Channels" a contradicting PI for striker roles that drop deep (F9,DLFs,TQ)? Does the instruction cause them to be in higher positions than they need to? I've tried to observe it by watching full highlights but couldn't figure out tbh :lol:

DLFs & TQs are locked into Move Into Channels, so definitely not a contradictory instruction by any means. F9 doesn't start with it but I see no reason why it would be an issue when it isn't for the others.

The roles don't always drop deep and moving into channels can help them generate overloads.

19 minutes ago, NotSoSpecialOne said:

DLFs & TQs are locked into Move Into Channels, so definitely not a contradictory instruction by any means. F9 doesn't start with it but I see no reason why it would be an issue when it isn't for the others.

The roles don't always drop deep and moving into channels can help them generate overloads.

I felt like they leave themselves isolated so often by going wide instead of dropping off into AM strata, especially while i'm using 4-1-2-3 DM Wide. Maybe my expectations from the roles are wrong or unreasonable :lol:  

Edited by Halbraum

5 minutes ago, BedeviledEgg said:

Is weak foot training just not possible in FM21? It doesn't seem to be an option anymore.

If I have a wonderkid striker who is very one footed, am I now just out of luck on improving that aspect of his ability? Seems unrealistic.

It's gone as an option in PPMs.

Training sessions that work on technique affect it now (apparently).

In general, is there any harm in completely flipping the roles of your tactic? Meaning, say the left sides as IFsu, CMde, FBat, and the right side has Wat, DLPsu, FBsu. Could I completely switch sides without any adverse effects?

54 minutes ago, Gbrexiton said:

In general, is there any harm in completely flipping the roles of your tactic? Meaning, say the left sides as IFsu, CMde, FBat, and the right side has Wat, DLPsu, FBsu. Could I completely switch sides without any adverse effects?

Tactical cohesion is the only thing I can think off

2 hours ago, mernild said:

In my 442 I want my right fullback to offer overlaps for my WM.
How do I decide if I want a FB(A) or a WB(S)?

That depends on whether you need him up early during the build-up or not and in case of a turnover whether there is a player behind him to delay opposition's potential counter-attack. By the way, you should also take your team mentality into account when deciding on this.

Edited by frukox

1 hour ago, luuktk said:

What do you guys think is a good role for the striker in a bottom heavy formation?

It depends on your system. If you want your striker to do an early push, attacking duty strikers could do the work for you. If you want him to hold up the ball and create space around him support duty strikers may be better. However, nothing is in isolation when it comes to a good system. Please keep this in mind.

5 minutes ago, luuktk said:

What do you mean with this?

I mean your team and player instructions with all roles/duties. They should be considered as a whole. So if you need detailed help, you are better off opening a separate thread. There are lots of nice knowledgeable guys happy to help you with the problems you encounter;)

Currently managing in Spain, which means a B club in the league structure and a potentially good source of competitive football for youngsters.

Looking to make more use of this and am wondering if there is a difference between A) Having a player in the first team squad but made available for B team and B) Prospect player in the B squad but added to first team positional training units?

On 12/12/2020 at 22:09, kingjericho said:

I think I'm yet to score a goal from a corner this year. Any feedback on recommended routines (near/far post, etc)?

I've been scoring quite a few, you just need tall players with good jumping. Eric Garcia and Umtiti (good defenders, but 6'0") barely ever scored for me. 

4.png

2 hours ago, aritra14 said:

I play on positive mentality with short passing and standard tempo. What in-game events would lead me to change the tempo? In other words, when should I tinker with the tempo?

A)If they press you high in your third and your players lack in such attributes as first touch, composure, balance, you should increase your tempo not to lose the ball during transitions.

B) When you want to exploit space after you get the ball in opponents half with a high block system because you don't want your opponents to withdraw into a deep organized block.

C)When you want to play a fast counter attacking tactic with other instructions like hit early crosses(requires early attackers) and etc.

9 minutes ago, frukox said:

A)If they press you high in your third and your players lack in such attributes as first touch, composure, balance, you should increase your tempo not to lose the ball during transitions.

B) When you want to exploit space after you get the ball in opponents half with a high block system because you don't want your opponents to withdraw into a deep organized block.

C)When you want to play a fast counter attacking tactic with other instructions like hit early crosses(requires early attackers) and etc.

In all 3 cases you are thinking in cranking up the tempo to launch those long balls right?

2 minutes ago, interferemadly said:

Guys, any general tips to avoid conceding from long shots? 

Increase DL. Min Standard and have a proactive defensive unit filled with bravery and determination instead of a group of bystanders.

Edited by frukox

14 minutes ago, Sharkn20 said:

Well you didn't specify why and in what direction you would move the tempo in your 3 examples.

Could you expand on that?

A) If I have a couple of runners aiming to get behind the def line, then direct long balls or balls over the top.

B) If I have a good team against a weaker opposition, I'd use a possession-based high tempo system with a high block.

C) Whether I am against a mid or high block(doesn't matter) and I have superior physical attributes than the opposition, then direct balls to the flanks, to a target man or again balls over the top for the attackers to latch onto.

Edited by frukox

Hi need tips on how to turn  around my season with Sunderland first season in Premier League.

How would you setup  your team to maximize an advanced forward since that is the only role or pressing forward my strikers can play well. 

2 hours ago, kevaggel said:

15d69c834dab4b2f26a8e1232ff38129.png
What happened to the rest of 38 attempts since these are not made by feet, head or direct set-piece ?

Maybe these were blocked shots? Not sure, just guessing. 

I remember that @Rashidi also mentioned that same issue in one of his recent videos. 

3 hours ago, emil_sbn said:

Hi need tips on how to turn  around my season with Sunderland first season in Premier League.

How would you setup  your team to maximize an advanced forward since that is the only role or pressing forward my strikers can play well. 

If you want really proper advice, then better start a separate thread. Because your question is not a simple one.