Quickfire Questions and Answers Thread (Tactic and Training Questions Only)

• Replies 17.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yo all.

How crucial you think concentration is for a central defender? Let's say that he has some great attributes but 8 for concentration, how bad could it be?

Pretty important. 8 for concentration might be ok in the lower leagues, but is too low for top leagues really. It helps players maintain focus and so reduce mistakes.

Is it possible to defend?

Does this meet the criteria of a "stupid question"?

No, it just meets the criteria of "stupid".

I have a question regarding "Stick to position/Roam from position" team instructions - how do they correlate with individual player instructions? Most of roles have their own individual instruction and it seems they don't depend on team instruction. So, for example, if I set a team instruction "Roam from position" and player has a role which says him stick to position - how does he play? And if the role sayes him to roam from position - does he roam even farther from his position? And if his role has no individual instruction?

This thing is unclear for me regarding some other instructions as well - "Dribble less/more", "More/less risky passes", how individual instructions correlate with team instructions? Do they amplify each other if they are complementary? And what if they are contradictory?

Pretty important. 8 for concentration might be ok in the lower leagues, but is too low for top leagues really. It helps players maintain focus and so reduce mistakes.

Thank you herne. Looks like to need to get some new defenders. I use 3 CD system with no wingbacks and having two of them with 6 and 10 for concentration it's too risky for top league.

13 hours ago, zigaliro said:

Does setting defensive line to higher(or lower) mean that the defense will be positioned higher up the pitch when your team have the ball? Or when your team dont have the ball? Or both?

It is a defensive phase/without-ball instruction, but with any instruction, effects in one phase of the game will knock on to the next.

If I have a player who has a low Important Matches attribute but then scores the winning goal in a playoff final - will that give an instant boost to that attribute and if so by how much?

6 hours ago, Parri said:

Hi guys!

How do you set up a midfield (especially CMs) in a high-pressing system?
You think 4-4-1-1 is better than 4-2-3-1 for pressing?

Both can work for a pressing game but a 4231 will be better as it has more players in advanced positions.

7 hours ago, AFCBeer said:

If I have a player who has a low Important Matches attribute but then scores the winning goal in a playoff final - will that give an instant boost to that attribute and if so by how much?

Unless you are using the tool(I think is genie scout) which allows you to see the hidden attributes, I doubt anyone will know.

On 7/24/2016 at 19:24, Exius said:

I have a question regarding "Stick to position/Roam from position" team instructions - how do they correlate with individual player instructions? Most of roles have their own individual instruction and it seems they don't depend on team instruction. So, for example, if I set a team instruction "Roam from position" and player has a role which says him stick to position - how does he play? And if the role sayes him to roam from position - does he roam even farther from his position? And if his role has no individual instruction?

This thing is unclear for me regarding some other instructions as well - "Dribble less/more", "More/less risky passes", how individual instructions correlate with team instructions? Do they amplify each other if they are complementary? And what if they are contradictory?

yes I always wondered if TIs > PIs if there was a specific conflict...?

Edited by burdinho

I think until FM13 or FM14 there was a hierarchy between instructions, like player instructions would over rule team instructions and opposition instructions would over rule player instructions (and also team instructions). From FM15 it seems the hierarchy is gone and its more related with the complete picture (Mentality, Team Shape, Roles and Duties), so I guess it has become a lot more vague.

Ok, this is not a question, its more a wish for fm17 or 18 and I'm just posting it here because the wishlist thread is closed. It would be nice in the prozone stats analysis to be able to select an average team position with the ball and the opponent without the ball.

38 minutes ago, pedrosantos said:

Ok, this is not a question, its more a wish for fm17 or 18 and I'm just posting it here because the wishlist thread is closed. It would be nice in the prozone stats analysis to be able to select an average team position with the ball and the opponent without the ball.

Did you read the closing post in that thread though? There's an entire section dedicated to feature suggestions.

https://community.sigames.com/forum/353-football-manager-feature-requests/

Regarding 'playing more one-twos' as a PPM...if I teach a full back this PPM, will they play off another player with the 'one-twos' PPM?

ie.

BBM-S      DLP-D

CB-D           CB-D         WB-A

If I teach both the DLP and the WB the 'one-twos' PPM, will the WB start dribbling and play a one-two with the DLP to get higher up the pitch?

11 hours ago, kristalshards said:

Is it advisable to try and impose a playing style (DNA) at a club in League One? Or it should be approached in a more old fashion manner, aka win games and get promoted until I sign better players?

I think it depends how you see the club, do you want to be there for years and take them up, then I'd say yes you do want to impose some form of DNA to them. I think the only thing would be, you might have to sacrifice part of your DNA temporarily until you bring in more players. You still want to win games while slowly building towards the tactic you'd be completely happy with. 

Vaguely remember being able to do this in a previous version, where can I set the amount of rest days after a match as a default as opposed to individually?

Edited by Guest

Hello guys.

Two questions about individual focus training (FM15 related but i guess it's not much different).

1- When your AM report and even the player say that  "feels the individual training he has been assigned to work on is not going to produce any more results" do you just insist or change to other attribute?

2- When there your strategy consists in rotating individual focus every 3 or 4 months and the player make no gains between that time, do you still change or keep it till he eventually gain?

Thanks,

Edited by mikcheck

On 5.8.2016 at 12:18, mikcheck said:

Hello guys.

Two questions about individual focus training (FM15 related but i guess it's not much different).

1- When your AM report and even the player say that  "feels the individual training he has been assigned to work on is not going to produce any more results" do you just insist or change to other attribute?

2- When there your strategy consists in rotating individual focus every 3 or 4 months and the player make no gains between that time, do you still change or keep it till he eventually gain?

Thanks,

Ignore the player and assman and go for what you feel is the right training for you players. As for individual focus, iirc from one of the older training guides, you should train specific attribute for a period of 3 months or so, but if you are training a player in a certain role (forgot how it's called on FM15) than you should keep it for a longer period. Not a 100% sure about that one, but I'm using it to a solid success. Also, consider personality, game time and club facilities as possible reasons for poor development.

I got a question that I don't think really need a topic of it's own. Playing with Dortmund, I got Dzenis Burnic who has made great progress and developed well, but I'm struggling to find a role for him in my team. Here he is:

pG7bqzY.jpg

I play a 4-4-1-1 tactic, with a double pivot of DLP-D and CM-S. Weigl and Kimmich/Kaputska play that roles respectively. I wan't my DLP to be a holder who covers for an agressive full back. but also someone who brings the ball of of defense and distributes neatly. Is counter-part is more of a shuttler who links up with the attack and provide key passes, along with a bit of bite. Burnic really lacks the Concentration, Positioning and Marking to be a holder, but also strike as someone who would lack in the shuttler role because of his poor Balance (probably have hard time keeping hold of the ball), as well as avrage Decision, Stamina, Work Rate which are important for someone who should be more industrious in midfield.

Of course, I'm not going to change my working system for a player like Burnic, he not that good, but since I'm trying to bring as many players from the academy to the squad, do you think I can find a room for him anywere? If you were to set a tactic around him, how would you set it in order to get the best out of him? (Asking because he is really a unique kind of player and I have no idea where he would do best, maybe Regista?)

"Knocks Ball Past Opponent" means that a player becomes more likely to kick the ball into space beyond an opponent, run around that opponent and pick the ball up again.  Key attributes for that are things like Acceleration and Pace.

imo, this PPM is mainly aimed at more attacking players to help take advantage of pockets of space in threatening areas.  It's a fairly risky play, so for a central defender to have this trait positioned as he would be in a risky area (ie., close to your goal) probably isn't the best idea.

9 hours ago, herne79 said:

"Knocks Ball Past Opponent" means that a player becomes more likely to kick the ball into space beyond an opponent, run around that opponent and pick the ball up again.  Key attributes for that are things like Acceleration and Pace.

imo, this PPM is mainly aimed at more attacking players to help take advantage of pockets of space in threatening areas.  It's a fairly risky play, so for a central defender to have this trait positioned as he would be in a risky area (ie., close to your goal) probably isn't the best idea.

Thanx Herne , thats exactly what i wanted to hear .

Also the ''ppm '' tries to play way out of trouble is a risky one ? is the same for defenders-midfielders-attackers ?

On 5 Αυγούστου 2016 at 12:18, mikcheck said:

When your AM report and even the player say that  "feels the individual training he has been assigned to work on is not going to produce any more results" do you just insist or change to other attribute?

I don't pay attention to AM ,but 2 times that happened to me in the game and the player said that , the player was right ,and i changed that

7 hours ago, kristalshards said:

Can someone confirm this: Attacking width is set by the TI, defending width is set by the Mentality. Is it correct?

28 minutes ago, roggiotis said:

I think yes

Kind of.

Attacking width is set by both mentality and the TI.  If you change the mentality you'll notice the width change.

When defending, your players will automatically return into a compact defensive unit regardless of your "width" setting.  The difference being that they'll have further to run back into that shape if you have set a wide width as opposed to a narrow one.  That's the theory, and in practise it's rarely that straight forward - player attributes will have an impact (positioning, work rate and so on) as will the opposition who will be doing what they can to pull our defence out of that nice compact shape we want.

That is a very nice explanation. Thank you herne.

Can someone explain it to me what exactly a player does in his movement when "Moves into Channels" is selected? I have read Dr. Hook's FAQ thread but I can't picture it how a player moves vertically between the defenders.

And for Fluid/Very Fluid Team Shape, is it possible to counter the unwanted Creative Freedom with the TI "Be More Disciplined"?

Edited by kristalshards

43 minutes ago, kristalshards said:

And for Fluid/Very Fluid Team Shape, is it possible to counter the unwanted Creative Freedom with the TI "Be More Disciplined"?

This is what I do, but I need to test it in more matches to see whether it is not too much detrimental for certain players (Playmakers, False Nines).

1 hour ago, kristalshards said:

Can someone explain it to me what exactly a player does in his movement when "Moves into Channels" is selected? I have read Dr. Hook's FAQ thread but I can't picture it how a player moves vertically between the defenders.

For example (there are others but lets try to keep this simple) - imagine your AMC is in possession.  Ahead of him is your striker who is running towards goal (and the opposition central defenders) with the opposition defence retreating with him.  This is your striker using vertical movement.  As your striker gets nearer the goal, he may turn towards one of flanks and look to make a run "into the channel" between a central defender and a fullback.  This is horizontal movement into vertical space.  (Horizontal space is the space between the layers of your team ie., the space between defence and midfield, or midfield and strikers; whereas vertical space is the space between players in the same strata, eg., between defenders or between midfielders).  That may lead to two advantages:

1) Your striker has now found some space in a dangerous position and a clever through ball to him now from the AMC could lead to a good chance on goal.

2) One of the central defenders may follow your striker.  That may lead to creating space that another one of your attacking players may be able to take advantage of.

2 hours ago, kristalshards said:

To an extent it can, however Very Fluid + Be More Disciplined will still leave you with more creative freedom than Fluid + Be More Disciplined.  It's also kind of contradictory, so you may find a different solution to what you are trying to achieve is better.  Further, Team Shape affects more than just creative freedom so make sure you factor that in as well.  There is quite an active discussion about Team Shape on the forum at present, have a read through that for more info.

2 hours ago, mikcheck said:

Hi.

What's the difference between "gets forward whenever possible" and "gets into opposition area"? Another question is if it's worth it to teach any of those to a CM(a)? I guess not because the role and duty already do that.

Thanks

Get Forward Whenever Possible encourages players to make more forward runs.  Gets Into Opposition Area encourages players to get into the penalty area.  So you may want a fullback (for example) making forward runs, but not necessarily getting into the opposition's area.

A CM(a) could benefit from either PPM to encourage his forward movement if you think he isn't getting up enough.

Does just Aggression affect the willingness of a player to tackle someone near him, or is there something else at work? I notice my players hesitate to tackle an opposing player who is literally next to them. It happens with centre backs too, even though they have fairly high Aggression.

2 hours ago, herne79 said:

Get Forward Whenever Possible encourages players to make more forward runs.  Gets Into Opposition Area encourages players to get into the penalty area.  So you may want a fullback (for example) making forward runs, but not necessarily getting into the opposition's area.

A CM(a) could benefit from either PPM to encourage his forward movement if you think he isn't getting up enough.

Thank you herne. Btw can you remember if the TI play wider in FM15 would also make the team play more down the flanks?

1. Is there any way of slowing down attribute changes like long throws? I really don't need my youngster to get better at LT. And centerbacks don't really need to get decent at corner either.

2. I was reading a guide that suggested it was possible to decide to workload of individual training, is this true? Can't find any options for workload on individual focuses.

3. Does match preparation training affect attributes?

I would expect a no on all three questions, but I just gotta make sure. Have missed some obvious stuff in previous FM's.

1 hour ago, Steffen84 said:

1. Is there any way of slowing down attribute changes like long throws? I really don't need my youngster to get better at LT. And centerbacks don't really need to get decent at corner either.

So long as you take control of player Training, and have General Training along with Individual Training set up (Position/Role and/or Additional Focus), your players will focus on developing on the associated attributes.  Other attributes can still increase naturally over time, but you shouldn't see significant increases.

2. I was reading a guide that suggested it was possible to decide to workload of individual training, is this true? Can't find any options for workload on individual focuses.

This changed for FM16.  You no longer set the Training intensity, but rather a players' training workload is an amalgamation of General Training, Position/Role Training and Additional Focus.  https://community.sigames.com/topic/360336-important-fm16-training-changes/

3. Does match preparation training affect attributes?

Kind of.  It gives your players a temporary small boost to the relevant area you set for match prep.  It's not really an attribute boost as such, more of a small boost to how players behave in certain circumstances.  It only lasts for the duration of the next match.  You should also note that if you don't set a match prep your tactical familiarity may drop.

Do you think that CM(a) is on the right side, theoretically speaking?  The left WM has roam from position  cut inside and sit narrower instructions while the right acts more like a winger with only drible less instruction.

Im also asking this because i'm not sure if it's better to have him on the same side as the CF(a) or F9

Sem_T_tulo.jpg

Edited by mikcheck

Some training questions I have!

I have a decent League One team with a promising young Center Back.  Scouting report says he's currently well suited for Vanarama National League.  He's 20 and I know playing time is important, but so is quality of competition.  So a few related questions if I may :)

1. If we were able to play an equal number of games in VNL or L1, would it be best to just keep him in L1 as he'd play against higher competition, or load him to VNL team where he'd also be more successful?  I guess reworded: does a player's form impact his growth compared to the quality of the competition?

2. Is the coach report for CA ("good player in Vanarama North/South") a good guide for what level I should loan players out to?  It sounds like loads of minutes against weak competition does very little for growing a player.

Thanks!

On 3 August 2016 at 05:27, jackane24 said:

Regarding 'playing more one-twos' as a PPM...if I teach a full back this PPM, will they play off another player with the 'one-twos' PPM?

ie.

BBM-S      DLP-D

CB-D           CB-D         WB-A

If I teach both the DLP and the WB the 'one-twos' PPM, will the WB start dribbling and play a one-two with the DLP to get higher up the pitch?

Bounce