Quickfire Questions and Answers Thread (Tactic and Training Questions Only)

my wolves been throught several friendly matches and 1 competitive game.

at competitive game, my team defeated. I dont know whetr the problem is my lack of tactical familiarity (less than 50%) or my tactic

so,since wolves is big team on sky bet, I use attacking when face small teams and counter when face big teams

last match againts preston, I use attack strategy. I use high defensife line because of the oponents lack of pace on striker,but good jumping ability.

then I use hassle ,and offside trap because I use high defnsife line

the passing I choose shorter,pass to space , because I lead 1-0 by throught ball do my DLF (kevin doyle) and 2 other times he outpaced the preston's back. I choose higher tempo and play wider

after lead, I lower the tempo, retain the possession, play narower ,exploit the middle, as my other striker is injured and I introduce more creativity in AMC position.

at second half I conceded pinalty on 73 minute. then I go all out attack and finaly defeated by set pieces

my player role on 4-4-2 formation. GK-defend . LB (full back-support) CD (bpd-cover and cd-stopper) RB (wing back-support)

LM (winger-support) CM (dlp-defend and box to box) RM (wide midfilder-support) my RM with PI cross from deep and dribble less

st (dlp-support and poacher)

then after my poacher injured, I introduced enghance . later i replace my RM with defensife winger.

my mentality first is attacking.then control after lead. the fluidity is always balanced

how do I know why Im loss and what should I improve from my teams?

thanks

• Replies 17.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How big difference does an attribute 'point' make?.....Probably a very difficult question to answer though.

Probably impossible to answer as you can't isolate the influence of one attribute point in a passage of play, as attributes are interdependent and passages of play are situational too.

It's clearly preferable to have the highest attributes you can get, but I don't believe that anyone can, hand on heart, claim to see the difference between someone with passing of 18 relative to someone with passing of 16.

Even if you used an editor to create two identical players with just their passing attributes differing, the fact that match situations differ means that you couldn't really compare their performances like for like either.

I'm looking to play quick counter attacking football with a rigid fluidity. Would control give me more quickness in attack? I've got very pacey forwards and want to utilise them. Using a 4-2-3-1 formation.

Control is very attacking and high up the pitch. How would that help you? How can you counter the space the opposition leaves if you aren't allowing them any space?

What does "Plays Short Simple Passes" do? and how does it work with "Tries Killer Balls Often"?

Short, simple passes is the passing range the player prefers, so short. Killer balls is a through ball instruction. So, you can have a player in general keep it simple with his passing game until he spots a possible through ball opportunity and then he'll go for it.

could deep defensife line work with hassle and offside traps?

when we should choose wide midfield instead of winger? do wide midfield is for better defensife ability who lack speed?

Offside trap requires playing high up the pitch really if not you'll be trying to make people offside in really dangerous positions. It makes little sense to play deep and use offside.

After a year and a half of training zelalem is now finally natural as a cdm. Does this mean I can now take position training off and he'll always remain natural in that position?

If you keep playing his as a DMC then yes you can remove the training, if you play him in other positions he could lose the natural rating though.

Hello,

My question is: if one of my tactics is 4-2-3-1 (flat back four - CM, CM - AMR, AMC, AML - ST), do I need a completely separate tactic for basically the same one, except one CM is positioned as DM with defending duty?

Just wondering if I change in during the game to defend better, does it make them play with a completely new/unknown/unprepared tactic or not?

this made sense.how about hassle?

You can, but as with everything else, there are risks.

If you use hassle with a deep line, you'll increase the chance of exposing gaps that attackers can exploit as well as increasing the chance that technically proficient attackers will beat a marker trying to pressure them. Opposition players also have plenty of space in depth to safely redistribute the ball if they come under pressure. Additionally, telling your players to apply aggressive pressure inside your own third will increase the chance of conceding a dangerous free kick or penalty. Using a deep line with high intensity pressure is most likely to be effective against teams with poor ball control attributes.

With that said, if you don't have a lot of players tracking back, Hassle may help compensate for the fact that your defensive shape isn't effectively covering space in the first place, and this is why many people who play the various iterations of the 4-2-3-1 formation tend to find Hassle helpful as a default instruction.

Hello,

My question is: if one of my tactics is 4-2-3-1 (flat back four - CM, CM - AMR, AMC, AML - ST), do I need a completely separate tactic for basically the same one, except one CM is positioned as DM with defending duty?

Just wondering if I change in during the game to defend better, does it make them play with a completely new/unknown/unprepared tactic or not?

There will be a very slight reduction in tactical familiarity, so you'll benefit (very slightly) from just having another prepared tactic.

It is easier to get working with a higher line, because the players have less far to move from their usual defensive positions to press.
You can, but as with everything else, there are risks.

If you use hassle with a deep line, you'll increase the chance of exposing gaps that attackers can exploit as well as increasing the chance that technically proficient attackers will beat a marker trying to pressure them. Opposition players also have plenty of space in depth to safely redistribute the ball if they come under pressure. Additionally, telling your players to apply aggressive pressure inside your own third will increase the chance of conceding a dangerous free kick or penalty. Using a deep line with high intensity pressure is most likely to be effective against teams with poor ball control attributes.

With that said, if you don't have a lot of players tracking back, Hassle may help compensate for the fact that your defensive shape isn't effectively covering space in the first place, and this is why many people who play the various iterations of the 4-2-3-1 formation tend to find Hassle helpful as a default instruction.

thanks for your reply. "teams with poor ball control attributes" in this context is for their attacking player right?

and how about get stuck in? I tought it didnt work well on deeper defensife line. as it could concede free kick and penalty, but Im still a begginner.wanna ask if this true or not..thanks

thanks for your reply. "teams with poor ball control attributes" in this context is for their attacking player right?

and how about get stuck in? I tought it didnt work well on deeper defensife line. as it could concede free kick and penalty, but Im still a begginner.wanna ask if this true or not..thanks

Yes, it'll increase the chances of conceding a free kick or penalty. Having a defender miss a tackle and just left lying on the ground can also leave the opposition with an attacker free around the area. Additionally, a sliding tackle is unlikely to be controlled by the tackling defender, so you can end up with a loose ball just bouncing directly to another attacker.

'roam from positions' can be used in order to retain possession better, in an possession-based system? or its just for penetration, disrupting the tactical shape?

Kind of a bit of both. It will invite players to look for space where they can receive the ball. So, it can create a passing opportunity to retain possession and it can drag AI players out of position in the process.

'roam from positions' can be used in order to retain possession better, in an possession-based system? or its just for penetration, disrupting the tactical shape?

It can be good for possession; roamers will sometimes go wide, drop deep etc. I have seen them go all sorts of places on the pitch. It really will depend on the player you set to roaming in terms of how they find space.

I do understand that. I just wanna ask how do get stuck in worked for mdfield for team that play deeper.

Wouldn't you want to just set personal instructions to get stuck in for the players you want?

Anything i can do tactically, to stop players who are clean through on goal, shooting super early?

Seems like a lot of the time players shoot early which tend to it going high or over instead of placing it into the side of the net

Anything i can do tactically, to stop players who are clean through on goal, shooting super early?

Seems like a lot of the time players shoot early which tend to it going high or over instead of placing it into the side of the net

It's a known issue that is "on the radar" for FM 2015. I don't see it consistently, but it crops up frequently for me as well. It's just one we have to live with in this match engine.

It's a known issue that is "on the radar" for FM 2015. I don't see it consistently, but it crops up frequently for me as well. It's just one we have to live with in this match engine.

Any advice you can give? I try to (try) create tactics that create and exploit space in behind. At the minute, this problem keeps messing me up.

Any advice you can give? I try to (try) create tactics that create and exploit space in behind. At the minute, this problem keeps messing me up.

What players in your system are most culpable? What are the Roles and Duties of them, their PIs, PPMs and what Mentality / Fluidity and TIs do you use?

Are they always shooting when a better option is available, or do they have no alternative?

Hi RT,

Seems to be non tactic, player role, fluidity specific (i realise that sounds nonsense but it's what i have observed).

Today I've been messing around with a 423 (strikerless) with a treq, a att-midd and a Shadow Striker on counter and balanced. Seems the very large majority clean through on goal (and there a re a lot; i honestly think this tactic is an exploit) results shooting early/over the ball. Even with high decisions and placing shots.

Another example is standard 442 with the poacher/advanced forward (depending on the player, none of them have shoots with power) with the same results.

Wouldn't you want to just set personal instructions to get stuck in for the players you want?

I want to understand the risk soI know who I ask him to tackle harder

btw do direct passes could work on higher defensife line? I see many team that play higher defensife line didnt play direct pass. do direct pass would work ineffective on higher defensife line?

my whole team tactic almost completed. I need my team to play aggressive, so i ask then to push higher up, get stuck in, and hassle opponents. I ask them to play wider to stretch the oposition.both of my striker are pacey ,but also good in the air . I use 4-4-2 scheme. should I do direct ball or shorten one? would I better play on the flanks to maximise my striker's areal ability or just exploit the middle? Thanks

and how to take screenshoot at fm?

Is there anyway to stop my players from giving stupid corners away? For example my centre back intercepts a pass around 5 yards from the box with the closest opposition player a few yards away, he could pass it to my unmarked full back but instead chooses to hit it out for a corner. Is there any way to stop this or at least get them kicking out for throw-ins. This isn't the first time its happened and it gets annoying

I want to understand the risk soI know who I ask him to tackle harder

btw do direct passes could work on higher defensife line? I see many team that play higher defensife line didnt play direct pass. do direct pass would work ineffective on higher defensife line?

my whole team tactic almost completed. I need my team to play aggressive, so i ask then to push higher up, get stuck in, and hassle opponents. I ask them to play wider to stretch the oposition.both of my striker are pacey ,but also good in the air . I use 4-4-2 scheme. should I do direct ball or shorten one? would I better play on the flanks to maximise my striker's areal ability or just exploit the middle? Thanks

and how to take screenshoot at fm?

Well, risk is simply that your men will go for tackles that they have a chance of winning, even if it is not great. If you have a player with good decision making and good tackling, he'll do well, but there is always the risk of him missing and then being caught out. I don't use it for midfielders unless I am up against a slower, less-skilled midfield.

As for direct passing and a high line, the biggest effect I think you would see is the higher tempo that comes along with more direct passing. As you are compressing space with the high line, there won't be as many direct passing options. Even so, your deep lying players will still use direct passing so if that is what you are after, no reason why it couldn't work just fine.

Your third question really answers with what sort of players you have. Is your team better passers or crossers? I think were it me (not knowing your squad), I'd use both options, in other words, not focus passing anyway, but let the play as it develops dictate where the ball goes. And again with the short passing vs, direct you'll have what I wrote above.

Screenshots: http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/346699-FMCU-HQ-%28Including-forum-rules%29 a little bit down in the post

Is there anyway to stop my players from giving stupid corners away? For example my centre back intercepts a pass around 5 yards from the box with the closest opposition player a few yards away, he could pass it to my unmarked full back but instead chooses to hit it out for a corner. Is there any way to stop this or at least get them kicking out for throw-ins. This isn't the first time its happened and it gets annoying

What role/duty is he on? What are his personal instructions if any?

is there in this tactic any cardinal mistake ? am i on the right way...

https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1153x923q90/538/Cby1wd.png

Hmm- I have a few thoughts after looking at it. 1) Why are you pushing higher up? With your wingbacks where they are, do you find that you are wide open at the back, especially down the flanks? You have a narrow formation; really its just the 4-1-2-1-2- narrow diamond with the fbs pushed higher. I just can't imagine you are going to get hammered out wide consistently. I use the narrow diamond, and it is a very obvious weakness. Second, both your wingbacks are on support duty. WHere do you expect to find attacking width from? It seems that a team that packs the midfield will shut down your attack pretty easy. If nothing else, I would set the Left wingback to an attack role to provide some options in the final third. How is the hassle opponents working for you? If you are dead set on the high pressing game, at least think about normal closing down for your wingbacks so they don't get too aggressive in the middle of the pitch; they are already vulnerable.

I am sure others can add something here, and probably making a thread for this would be best as there is a heap of outstanding knowledge here. I would love to see you get this less common formation working well.

What role/duty is he on? What are his personal instructions if any?

Both centrebacks are on Defend, no Personal instructions. I play with counter/balanced and only one T.I which is push higher up.

It doesn't just happen to me because Blackburn did it whilst playing them

Is it a Bug or is it a Feature?

When making tactical changes in game it takes up to 10 sometimes 15 minutes until these changes get applied. maybe with a substitution you could argue that the player needs to be called from warming up, getting changed and so on but still its extremely frustrating to watch a ball go out of play for over 5-6 times before the fresh player comes on. when i make a change in the 78th min, i want to bring in my TM because we need that one goal, i want to pump the ball in the box, its those all or nothing 10 last minutes and then... my striker comes on in the 88th minute, touching the ball once before the ref blows the whistle. thats really not the way it should be is it?

also just adjusting shouts, or roles/duties, how can that take over 10 minutes of playtime? has anybody else noticed that?

Is it a Bug or is it a Feature?

When making tactical changes in game it takes up to 10 sometimes 15 minutes until these changes get applied. maybe with a substitution you could argue that the player needs to be called from warming up, getting changed and so on but still its extremely frustrating to watch a ball go out of play for over 5-6 times before the fresh player comes on. when i make a change in the 78th min, i want to bring in my TM because we need that one goal, i want to pump the ball in the box, its those all or nothing 10 last minutes and then... my striker comes on in the 88th minute, touching the ball once before the ref blows the whistle. thats really not the way it should be is it?

also just adjusting shouts, or roles/duties, how can that take over 10 minutes of playtime? has anybody else noticed that?

It's a known bug. It won't always take too long, but it certainly does sometimes.

ok good to know, i do see changes go though much quicker but yea a couple of games really got messed up at the end... but will there be a fix or is there no more bugfixes for the fm14?

No more fixes for FM14 as SI are miles down the line with developing FM15.

It is a well known bug though and will be fairly high on the fix list, I'm sure.

Both centrebacks are on Defend, no Personal instructions. I play with counter/balanced and only one T.I which is push higher up.

It doesn't just happen to me because Blackburn did it whilst playing them

Yeah, it does happen- try setting the CB's to shorter passing, but also make sure they have through balls rarely. If I recall aright, with defend and a counter mentality they probably are set to try more through balls than you probably want. See if that helps.

Yeah, it does happen- try setting the CB's to shorter passing, but also make sure they have through balls rarely. If I recall aright, with defend and a counter mentality they probably are set to try more through balls than you probably want. See if that helps.

Thanks, Fewer risky balls is already active should I get them to learn the No through balls ppm?

Thanks, Fewer risky balls is already active should I get them to learn the No through balls ppm?

That would work, unless they are players that you might want to do through balls in future or if you alter play styles. I've done it for some defensive-minded backs myself; also short, simple passes is one I've used for CBs with limited skills. See how you get on. One of the pleasures (and frustrations) of FM for me is figuring out to get players to do what I want.

In this particular case, and someone will correct me if I am wrong, I thought there was something of bug, or at least a not-working-entirely-as-designed with players booting it out for corners. Maybe it was with keepers, but I do remember something about it.

Now, the other thing that occurs to me with the kicking out for a corner thing, you could have him lump it way forward, if that would be preferable and nothing else is working. In which case, through balls often, direct passing for that player.

Hi, I am fan of Banik Ostrava (Czech republic) and I saw a interesting tactical element in last match. I would like to implement it into FM, but I dont know if it is possible. Banik has got a very good defender, who name is Frydrych. He is good in air and he played full back. But when the team had a possesion or when goalkeeper was kicking the ball - his position was around opponent's fullback. So he was WR at that moment. He almost always won ball in the air and the whole team benefits from it. When the team was defending, he was just usually fullback.

Bacary Sagna did this for Arsenal - I guess an attacking duty, with long kick to full back distribution might work?