Quickfire Questions and Answers Thread (Tactic and Training Questions Only)

10 hours ago, Batigoal__ said:

Thanks @whatsupdoc @Cloud9 for sharing your ideas with us :)

In the 352 proposed by Gattuso, it seems that the two out of the three are number 8's. In all the roles currently proposed in the opus, without getting too far ahead of myself, the only role likely to have a high positioning is Mezzala. Unless the height of the line of engagement could allow other roles to be positioned high up in the middle ? There is one particularity to note regarding the positioning of the central defender in this match, playing the role of libero in support of the third midfielder.

As far as the striker is concerned, I read something interesting in @Rashidi Daljit's guide (The book of roles), in a line of two strikers, each with an advanced attacking role, there is an automatic alternation, with one dropping back to play off-centre and the other positioning himself deeper, on the alert.

The pressing forward can also offer support on the flank, helping to build play, as can the false 9, deep lying forward and complete forward (creative strikers). 
In this scenario, would it make sense to have two AFs ? That is a good question :)

Could work! I think any combination of two spearheading forwards would do the trick. 

• Replies 17.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, eXistenZ said:

Noticed that the comparison screen tells me this year I have the best vision, flair and decision in the league

so be more expressive is a no brainer, right?

I would do this in this PIs.

4 hours ago, eXistenZ said:

As in "take more risks"?

Yea! And/or passing meters changes. "Take more risks" I think has a couple other effects too like asking the player to dribble more and pass into space more often.

Hi

formation is narrow 4-1-2-1-2

Positive - default passing and tempo

If I give LB (WB-AT)  More direct Passing PI, players ahead of him will know that he'll long passes more often ML (AP-SU) Left striker AF.

6 hours ago, Englishhammer said:

Does setting a low/medium/high season bonus matter other than giving a few players a little more incentive?

The impact of bonus' seem to linger a bit longer than in the past.

I find a high bonus quite useful. Seems to help keep players happier.

2 hours ago, ChaosReiter said:

Currently designing a 5-2-2-1 DM AM tactic, is it normally more suitable for attacking or defending? And what style of team is best suited to use it?

It's pretty balanced and can be used for defensive or attacking football.

I'm currently using it as a defense first tactic and it's working really well. In a low block it drops into a 541 and is hard to break down. 

On 07/02/2024 at 10:12, Englishhammer said:

Does setting a low/medium/high season bonus matter other than giving a few players a little more incentive?

Yea if you set it the season bonus low you can end up in real trouble.

Some players will be fairly unhappy all season with this and it will tank morale. It's like the worst thing you could do in a season imo. Setting high is a small morale buff which makes your man management easier between games, but the impact is negligible compared to the downside from the league low bonus. This is esp. true if you have a mix of personalities in your squad (like at the start of a save, where the level of money could be useful). Player's that you would need to manage individually to get the best out of you'll lose altogether before the season has even started.  

Cup bonuses are less impactful, so you can get away with a Medium League bonus and a Low Cup Bonus if you're really looking to cut corners. If you're someone who plays without coaching badges the low bonus will be especially damaging.

Morale is one of the biggest contributing factors to performance so I would recommend not touching it and just taking the time to man manage your players. Aside from messing with your ability to build strong team dynamic going into the next season; in the end it's likely to see you run a financial loss in the current one as well. The prize money from finishing higher in the table or just going a round farther in a domestic cup will give you much more in the end. 

Edited by Cloud9

5 minutes ago, Bahnzo said:

Places shots (or is it curls ball?)
Cuts inside

Are two easy ones I think anyways

Yeah places shots is a no-brainer, just improves scoring %..

Cuts inside I'm 50/50 on because he has a decent right foot and low crosses and OP in this FM

3 minutes ago, whatsupdoc said:

Yeah places shots is a no-brainer, just improves scoring %..

Cuts inside I'm 50/50 on because he has a decent right foot and low crosses and OP in this FM

Yeah, but he's also got a decent finishing and your playing him as a IF, so I would want him inside taking shots. Hence the curl shots also. He'll hit those nice top corner strikes from the top of the box. Hopefully. :)

Is it me or is it really hard to hire B Team coaches 😕 ? Plenty of people who want to coach u19 team but I'm having real hard time filling vacancies in my B team. And you cant post a job advert like with u19. So frustrating because my young players in B team seem to be losing attributes.

Edited by crusadertsar

What's the best way in the current ME state to play a vintage Red Bull Salzburg type of play? (Direct passing, hard & high pressing, defensive overloads, extreme compactness.) I really find it very difficult - attacking mentality or very defensive (for the most extreme passing range)? What pressing instructions to actually make a team high press? Disciplined or expressive? Can it be done at all?

6 hours ago, crusadertsar said:

Is it me or is it really hard to hire B Team coaches 😕 ? Plenty of people who want to coach u19 team but I'm having real hard time filling vacancies in my B team. And you cant post a job advert like with u19. So frustrating because my young players in B team seem to be losing attributes.

I gave up on it. I'm sometimes able to hire a B team manager, but there's not a coach in the game that wants a part-time contract, even if I offer them extravagant wages. 

I refuse to send any decent potential player to my B team. Instead it's where my useless ones go to see out their contracts.  

Edited by Bahnzo

3 hours ago, Bahnzo said:

I gave up on it. I'm sometimes able to hire a B team manager, but there's not a coach in the game that wants a part-time contract, even if I offer them extravagant wages. 

I refuse to send any decent potential player to my B team. Instead it's where my useless ones go to see out their contracts.  

Yeah the only problem for me is that I actually have a great B team with excellent training facilities. Its fully professional and coaches are hired fulltime. I'm in Spain and my B team is in 2nd division so not quite same situation as yours. If anything all of my future 1st Team stars go through it and develop by playing at least one season at higher level than u19. Sort of like Jong Ajax. So not useless at all. It's actually better than loaning them out because you can fully control the tactics and directly put them in the lineup. Just lately lost some coaches from it because they retired and now can't fill the vacancies.

Edited by crusadertsar

2 minutes ago, crusadertsar said:

Yeah the only problem for me is that I actually have a great B team with excellent training facilities. Its fully professional and coaches are hired fulltime. I'm in Spain and my B team is in 2nd division so not quite same situation as yours. If anything all of my future 1st Team stars go through it and develop by playing at least one season at higher level than u19. Sort of like Jong Ajax. So not useless at all. Just lately lost some coaches from it because they retired and now can't fill the vacancies.

Germany here, and my B team doesn't even play matches, so it's certainly different. I mean, they do play matches, but they are those which are simmed somewhere out in the ether somewhere. It's useless for me and if I could fold the team I would. 

In your case, I can't imagine why you wouldn't be able to find any. Have you tried letting your DoF or Technical director do the hiring? Maybe they would have more luck?

24 minutes ago, Bahnzo said:

Germany here, and my B team doesn't even play matches, so it's certainly different. I mean, they do play matches, but they are those which are simmed somewhere out in the ether somewhere. It's useless for me and if I could fold the team I would. 

In your case, I can't imagine why you wouldn't be able to find any. Have you tried letting your DoF or Technical director do the hiring? Maybe they would have more luck?

I think I might just need to do that. To ask my DoF. Good idea. Because manually you just cannot filter for coaches who would actually want B team post. At least u19 staff has that useful "place advert" feature. 

1 hour ago, crusadertsar said:

I think I might just need to do that. To ask my DoF. Good idea. Because manually you just cannot filter for coaches who would actually want B team post. At least u19 staff has that useful "place advert" feature. 

I think there is actually a checkbox for that, along with the others like U19 and your main squad. But it's never worked for me when I filter by B team as since I'm only part time, nobody it filters will accept. I bet you'll have better luck as your team is actually, you know, a team!

Edit: maybe this in your staff search? Is "reserves" for your B team?

image.png.cc22609ea47c51496b25de6e0b29bff8.png

Edited by Bahnzo

19 minutes ago, Bahnzo said:

I think there is actually a checkbox for that, along with the others like U19 and your main squad. But it's never worked for me when I filter by B team as since I'm only part time, nobody it filters will accept. I bet you'll have better luck as your team is actually, you know, a team!

Edit: maybe this in your staff search? Is "reserves" for your B team?

image.png.cc22609ea47c51496b25de6e0b29bff8.png

I'll check this out tonight! Thanks 👍

3 hours ago, crusadertsar said:

Yeah the only problem for me is that I actually have a great B team with excellent training facilities. Its fully professional and coaches are hired fulltime. I'm in Spain and my B team is in 2nd division so not quite same situation as yours. If anything all of my future 1st Team stars go through it and develop by playing at least one season at higher level than u19. Sort of like Jong Ajax. So not useless at all. It's actually better than loaning them out because you can full control the tactics and directly put them in the lineup. Just lately lost some coaches from it because they retired and now can't fill the vacancies.

Same here. I manage in Portugal and my B team play in the division below. I have managed to sign some coaches for the B team, but it's definitely tougher. 

I noticed that Argentinian youngsters aren't allowed to leave their country until they are 18. Does this mean you can't turn them into a home grown player? 

IE: Since they will always be over 18 when they join, will this mean they will never have the required 3 years before age 21 to be home grown? Or am I'm not understanding how this works?

1 hour ago, Bahnzo said:

I noticed that Argentinian youngsters aren't allowed to leave their country until they are 18. Does this mean you can't turn them into a home grown player? 

IE: Since they will always be over 18 when they join, will this mean they will never have the required 3 years before age 21 to be home grown? Or am I'm not understanding how this works?

Pretty sure this is the case for most non-EU players. 

If they join you at 18 and stay in the club for the next three seasons without being loaned out they should become club grown for you. 

10 hours ago, Bahnzo said:

If you sign them before they turn 19 you are usually fine, I've never had an issue.

Quick question: what kind of team instructions do you guys use when playing a possesion system?
I would say something like this:
Shorter passing, normal tempo, work ball in box, low crosses
counterpress, distribute to CD/FB
High press, (very) high d-line 

Would love to hear some imput on it:lol:.

Thanks!

vor 45 Minuten schrieb Skywalk3r83:

Quick question: what kind of team instructions do you guys use when playing a possesion system?

Thanks!

Play from defence. I think it’s also worth considering where to have the possession in which third of the pitch.

2 hours ago, HanziZoloman said:

Play from defence. I think it’s also worth considering where to have the possession in which third of the pitch.

@Skywalk3r83 Actually I used to use "play from defence" all the time but in FM24 i wouldnt recommend it anymore. All it does is make your CMs or DMs come deeper to get the ball. This can be undesirable behavior when it affects your shape and pressing. If you want to play out of defence just tell your keeper to roll out the ball or throw it to specific players such your designated BPD/Libero or more general to your CDs and Fullbacks. This will cut down on undesirable kicking behavior from keeper. Also make sure that you use a good Sweeper Keeper and that both of your CDs are pretty comfortable on the ball. But you need at least one good BPD-type to link up with keeper and then your midfield.

Edited by crusadertsar

@Skywalk3r83 Actually I used to use "play from defence" all the time but in FM24 i wouldnt recommend it anymore. All it does is make your CMs or DMs come deeper to get the ball. This can be undesirable behavior when it affects your shape and pressing. If you want to play out of defence just tell your keeper to roll out the ball or throw it to specific players such your designated BPD/Libero or more general to your CDs and Fullbacks. This will cut down on undesirable kicking behavior from keeper. Also make sure that you use a good Sweeper Keeper and that both of your CDs are pretty comfortable on the ball. But you need at least one good BPD-type to link up with keeper and then your midfield.

Interesting. I might try this.

3 hours ago, HanziZoloman said:

Thanks guys!✌🏻

5 hours ago, Skywalk3r83 said:

Thanks!

I would say you don't have to play a high press for a possession game. I don't think you have to play any sort of pressing strategy really. 

Also, I really like using "Hold Shape" for possession. It forces your players to slow things down and retain possession after getting the ball back. 

Here's my 442 possession tactic. It's still a work in process and I'm not sure why it works in some instances and not others. What you don't see, is I have almost all my PI's set to "take fewer risks" and "shoot less often" with the idea being it's most important to retain possession. 

EDIT: oops. I should mention, I no longer play a "Positive" mentality with this. I usually use "Cautious" (which I think is better worded as "patient") as it also takes fewer risks with the goal of retaining possession. 

image.png.0142d80dcbcd4608bcd722695aafc22d.png

Edited by Bahnzo

6 hours ago, Skywalk3r83 said:

Thanks!

I would recommend leaving more TIs blank, simply removing things like "counter" goes a long way. Avoiding roles like the AF can help as well, as they will look to run in behind frequently (which will see possession turnover). A facilitating forward in a support role can help here.

I like going with a wide width + a low tempo w/hit crosses early when I'm playing a possession style. This approach pulls compact defenses apart and then exploits the space created inside. 

1 hour ago, Bahnzo said:

I have almost all my PI's set to "take fewer risks" and "shoot less often" with the idea being it's most important to retain possession. 

Take fewer risks can actually see your players boot the ball when under pressure. I would just leave this PI blank. You go into the passing meters in the PIs and tell the less talented players in the squad to just lay it off to their teammates.

The mention about a lower mentality is a nice touch in creating a possession style :thup:

Edited by Cloud9

1 hour ago, Cloud9 said:

Take fewer risks can actually see your players boot the ball when under pressure. I would just leave this PI blank. You go into the passing meters in the PIs and tell the less talented players in the squad to just lay it off to their teammates.

Interesting, I never considered that. I'll remove it and see how it goes. But, of course, all my players are talented! Also, when playing with the lowest passing setting, I don't think you have the option to set those meters any lower, right?

Edited by Bahnzo

1 hour ago, Bahnzo said:

Interesting, I never considered that. I'll remove it and see how it goes. But, of course, all my players are talented! Also, when playing with the lowest passing setting, I don't think you have the option to set those meters any lower, right?

If you drag your TI passing meter up, you can then select "pass it shorter" on the player's PIs before moving the TI directness back down. 

1 hour ago, Cloud9 said:

If you drag your TI passing meter up, you can then select "pass it shorter" on the player's PIs before moving the TI directness back down. 

Right, same for pressing. I question if that actually does make for shorter passing when you already have the TI set for the shortest. 

1 hour ago, Bahnzo said:

Right, same for pressing. I question if that actually does make for shorter passing when you already have the TI set for the shortest. 

Yes, it makes a difference.

Edited by Cloud9

Has anyone found a solid way to deal with the edge-of-the-penalty area lurkers in corner kicks? I have set two of my defensive players to cover this area, but they don't stay there. I just conceded two goals in a game from deliveries at the edge of the area and had also two close shaves in those, one hitting the post and one saved by the keeper. 

6 minutes ago, Litmanen 10 said:

Has anyone found a solid way to deal with the edge-of-the-penalty area lurkers in corner kicks? I have set two of my defensive players to cover this area, but they don't stay there. I just conceded two goals in a game from deliveries at the edge of the area and had also two close shaves in those, one hitting the post and one saved by the keeper. 

Are these crosses made directly to these players? If so, there's a setting to man mark, and I think it's for the "B1" type players. They are positioned on the edge of the area, you just need to have 1 or 2 of them set in the set piece tactics. 

2 hours ago, Bahnzo said:

Are these crosses made directly to these players? If so, there's a setting to man mark, and I think it's for the "B1" type players. They are positioned on the edge of the area, you just need to have 1 or 2 of them set in the set piece tactics. 

Yes. Thank you. I will try with this today. 

20 hours ago, Litmanen 10 said:

Set two defenders to stay on edge of area. Problem solved.

4 hours ago, MontyOnTheRun said:

Set two defenders to stay on edge of area. Problem solved.

Not exactly as I have done this and the two players tend to leave the area that they are assigned to mark. 

1 hour ago, HanziZoloman said:

Hello,

how would you cope with a slow midfield triangle? My players are all like 7-9 Acc and 7-10 pace. 

Sell one. Which position demands athleticism will depend on your tactic.

37 minutes ago, HanziZoloman said:

Thanks! I try to play the least demanding roles like DM(S) MC(S) and for creativity AP(S)

If you're playing front foot football, you'll need the DM(s) to be an athlete to protect you from counters and impact the opposition out of possession. The two 8's could then get away with as less physical profiles.

The ability to run long distances & work hard (not just a quick turn of pace) are also important to look at for the midfield 3. 

I think midblock/lowblock football would be difficult to pull off on a midfield 3 lacking physicality.

Edited by Cloud9

vor 50 Minuten schrieb Cloud9:

If you're playing front foot football, you'll need the DM(s) to be an athlete to protect you from counters and impact the opposition out of possession. The two 8's could then get away with as less physical profiles.

The ability to run long distances & work hard (not just a quick turn of pace) are also important to look at for the midfield 3. 

I think midblock/lowblock football would be difficult to pull off on a midfield 3 lacking physicality.

Oh really? You think it’s better to play on the front foot with my grandparents in midfield? But my defenders are snails either … 
the suggestion with the DM(S) is good I feel that we are more stable when I play the less brave (4) but quicker man there, than the slow one with fantastic mentals. 
work rate and stamina is good enough with all six candidates. 

Edited by HanziZoloman