Quickfire Questions and Answers Thread (Tactic and Training Questions Only)

• Replies 17.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, Heavyman39 said:

Do you use Team Bonding session every week ?

It's useful if your team dynamics are terrible or you're looking to break a losing streak that's tanked morale. I'd also consider using it before big matches where the training schedule is a bit lighter.

In terms of player development, no, it's not great and you're better off prioritizing heavy general training sessions + adequate rest.

8 hours ago, ibrahim.akbyk said:

Any tips? Or maybe I couldnt express my self very well?

I'm not sure I understand your question entirely, but show onto foot is a pressing instruction.

If you want him to play left, show him left. If you want him to play right show him right. You can man mark the 10 separately if a lot of the play is going through him. 

39 dakika önce, Cloud9 said:

I'm not sure I understand your question entirely, but show onto foot is a pressing instruction.

If you want him to play left, show him left. If you want him to play right show him right. You can man mark the 10 separately if a lot of the play is going through him. 

Thats what Im asking. Thanks.

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone knew the difference between the 'Selection Advice' button and the 'Quick Pick' button when both are set to receive advice from the same staff member. It seems the 'Selection Advice' button gives more feedback as to why they give certain advice, but often the advice given is different although the same staff is providing the advice. Any ideas? Is there one that has proven to be more appropriate than another?

7 hours ago, wyattevs said:

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone knew the difference between the 'Selection Advice' button and the 'Quick Pick' button when both are set to receive advice from the same staff member. It seems the 'Selection Advice' button gives more feedback as to why they give certain advice, but often the advice given is different although the same staff is providing the advice. Any ideas? Is there one that has proven to be more appropriate than another?

If I remember correctly, Quick Pick is customizable, whereas Selection Advice is who your Assistant Manager thinks is decent. 

Finding your strongest starting 11 and rotating players when necessary using your own discretion is probably best. 

vor 6 Minuten schrieb eXistenZ:

If you want to reduce the amount of crosses you"re producing in favor of more chances closer to goal, should you reduce width or just focus play?

This isn't true.

You can force the ball outside AND block crosses there. This will most likely increase the number of corners against you but dosn't have to lead to more passes back to the CMs that advanced in the aread in front of the box.

20 minutes ago, Maddux said:

This isn't true.

You can force the ball outside AND block crosses there. This will most likely increase the number of corners against you but dosn't have to lead to more passes back to the CMs that advanced in the aread in front of the box.

a) it wasnt a statement, it was a question, hence it doesnt have a truth value

b) I'm not talking about defensive crosses, im talking about in possession

vor 2 Minuten schrieb eXistenZ:

a) it wasnt a statement, it was a question, hence it doesnt have a truth value

b) I'm not talking about defensive crosses, im talking about in possession

Sorry about that.

I got that wrong and probably mixed it up with something from another thread.

About your question.

It depends :)

One way to reduce crosses and create more chances in front of the box can be to focus playing down the flanks and work ball into box. Your attackers should pull the opposing defence in the box and away from the middle, which leaves your advancing CM open in front of the box. Another way can be focusing to play through the middle with a quick short passing game. 442 diamond narrow and 4-3-3 with a deep dropping DLF/F9 are formations that usually work will with this kind of approach.

On 10/12/2023 at 07:50, eXistenZ said:

If you want to reduce the amount of crosses you"re producing in favor of more chances closer to goal, should you reduce width or just focus play?

The Work the Ball into the Box TI will do this for you.  

They changed that, it's different now. ^^ It's like you are missing diesel in a electric car. Not saying your wrong about the setpieces creator has some room to grow. CA is 60 PA is maybe 120.

Edited by b2khn

Hi, I have a question.

I'm play with 4-2-3-1 dm wide and recently I notice that the area that have been exposed is MC area (that no one is covered). So I decided to move one of my DM to the MC spot and the problem is solved but than I think

Has anyone try asymetric double pivot that place defend duty player higher than support duty player? Is it work? what was it like when playing with others team?

For example: DLP(de) in MCR and DM/BWM(s) in DMCL

30 dakika önce, prodjgalaxyp said:

Hi, I have a question.

I'm play with 4-2-3-1 dm wide and recently I notice that the area that have been exposed is MC area (that no one is covered). So I decided to move one of my DM to the MC spot and the problem is solved but than I think

Has anyone try asymetric double pivot that place defend duty player higher than support duty player? Is it work? what was it like when playing with others team?

I use them on DM strata with higher DL instruction and theyve been doing OK

4 hours ago, prodjgalaxyp said:

Hi, I have a question.

I've done it before with a CM(D) and Volante and it worked out fine 

7 saat önce, mikcheck said:

When you guys use a counter attacking strategy, would you prefer a AF over a PF? Or they're both similar when the team has the ball?

They seems pretty same. But their starting position may change according to PF’s player instruction which one is press much more. PF could track back much more than AF. 

Never paid attention to this, but does young players grow in height tilli the end of their teenage years? It's something hardcoded or random?

Just have in the young intake two 15y old who are respectively 188cm and 186cm, amy chance to have them >190cm when they will be 18?

1 hour ago, Fox-7- said:

Never paid attention to this, but does young players grow in height tilli the end of their teenage years? It's something hardcoded or random?

Just have in the young intake two 15y old who are respectively 188cm and 186cm, amy chance to have them >190cm when they will be 18?

They will grow in height, but it doesn't actually impact anything within the game. Would just worry about the jumping reach, which will go up as well. 

Since they're just 15, I would say over 190cm seems almost guaranteed. 

Edited by Cloud9

27 minuti fa, Cloud9 ha scritto:

height does not actually impact anything within the game.

Thanks for the reply, I'm slightly perplexed about this.

Isn't jumping reach related to player height?

With the same attribute value, the taller player should theoretically reach a higher point in an aerial duel, not considering other values such as bravery, balance etc. (I think it appears in the game tips during the progression of the game time)

9 hours ago, Fox-7- said:

Thanks for the reply, I'm slightly perplexed about this.

Isn't jumping reach related to player height?

With the same attribute value, the taller player should theoretically reach a higher point in an aerial duel, not considering other values such as bravery, balance etc. (I think it appears in the game tips during the progression of the game time)

I did some digging on the forums and found this. Not sure if it's still relevant in fm24.

Edited by Cloud9

There is a range in which jumping reach lies depending on their height. "The highest point which can be reached with his head", pure height is part of the equasion. There is no such thing as a 210cm player with jumpingreach of 10. Such things can only happen if the editor is used in a unintended way, either by researchers or by users generating custom db.

50 minutes ago, b2khn said:

There is a range in which jumping reach lies depending on their height. "The highest point which can be reached with his head", pure height is part of the equasion. There is no such thing as a 210cm player with jumpingreach of 10. Such things can only happen if the editor is used in a unintended way, either by researchers or by users generating custom db.

Just read the thread, it's tiny and there's a comprehensive graph that directly addresses what you're talking about. 

The important information is not from the original question, but the SI staff/mods who answered :thup:

1 hour ago, mikcheck said:

And what about both players with the same JR but different heights? I guess the taller one will jump higher?

Based on the info, I would say that they would jump to the same height.

It sounds like height dictates in matches whether a player needs to jump or not, but combative headers are mostly jumped for. Whether there is an advantage in being a bit taller in reaching the ball first is unclear from the data provided there. 

Edited by Cloud9

7 minutes ago, Cloud9 said:

Just read the thread, it's tiny and there's a comprehensive graph that directly addresses what you're talking about. 

The important information is not from the original question, but the SI staff/mods who answered :thup:

Well, so you are saying, Iam right but I should not use my own words, because someone made a graph.

vor 28 Minuten schrieb mikcheck:

When you guys create  your training schedules, do you create multiple ones? For example, one for weeks with no games, another one for weeks with 1 game and another for those weeks with 2 games

Yes.

Different schedules for preseason, season weeks with 1 or 2 matches, international breaks etc. You need team building, tactical familiarity and condition during preseason, individual development during weeks with 1 match and in weeks with 2 matches a lot of rest.

When I ask my assistant for choosing the opposition instruction, he always picks 9 out of 10 times not to press a opponents wing backs. The reason why I ask my assistant in the first place is to give me an idea on where I should tweak. It is a starting spot for me, but every time I press on it , it chooses not to press the opponents wing back and I am thinking why should you not press an opponents wing back?

On 22/12/2023 at 01:02, ultrAslan said:

When I ask my assistant for choosing the opposition instruction, he always picks 9 out of 10 times not to press a opponents wing backs. The reason why I ask my assistant in the first place is to give me an idea on where I should tweak. It is a starting spot for me, but every time I press on it , it chooses not to press the opponents wing back and I am thinking why should you not press an opponents wing back?

what is his tactical knowledge and judging ability

personally, if my assmann has anything lower than 17 in Tactical knowledge, i ignore him by default

vor 19 Stunden schrieb eXistenZ:

I have never bothered with anything else than defend duty for my cb. what are some situations/pairing where you could use cover/stopper?

You can use cover/stopper when you know what you're doing ;)

There were years in FM when cover/stopper was awful and caused many problems but it's working good now, at least most of the time. The issue with cover/stopper, at least in a back-4, is that's more micro management depending on your opponent and you'll need the right kind of players. A stopper dosn't has to be fast but agile and need good attributes in aggression and bravery because his main job is to step forward and challenge usually technical more gifted DLFs or offensive midfielders. The CB that is on cover duty on the other hand can be a Niklas Süle kind of player. A body like a fridge that lets him turn like one but also a strong roadblock that is fast and hard to beat in a sprinting duel.

To get the best out of this combination and don't get into trouble you have to micromanage individual pressing and marking instructions for your opponents strikers and even then it isn't working great all the time. Just playing both CB on defend duty requires less micro management and is better suited for beginners.

A back-3 is different and heavily depends on how you want the rest of your team to move around the pitch. Let's say you're playing with a back-3 that has a WCB-At on the right side and a WB-At on the left side. playing the left CB on stopper duty should be better because he will cover the back of the WB-At better. the middle CB then depends on your DMs role. A HB will drop deep and can do the cover job of the CB and you can play the middle CB on stopper to to cover the space behind the WCB. If your DM is a Anchor Man or similar it would be better to play the middle CB on defend or cover duty.

19 hours ago, eXistenZ said:

I have never bothered with anything else than defend duty for my cb. what are some situations/pairing where you could use cover/stopper?

I prefer using Cover/Stopper in tactics that look to control games or take the game to the opposition. 

In structured, defensive approaches I find that they can pull your defensive positioning apart a little too much for my liking. 

Edited by Cloud9

1 hour ago, Cloud9 said:

I prefer using Cover/Stopper in tactics that look to control games or take the game to the opposition. 

In structured, defensive approaches I find that they can pull your defensive positioning apart a little too much for my liking. 

would you use a cover duty next to a BPD who likes to bring the ball out of defence?

vor 1 Stunde schrieb eXistenZ:

would you use a cover duty next to a BPD who likes to bring the ball out of defence?

Yes.

In this case placing the other CB on cover duty is a good way to counter the BPD's movement. And you can go even further by giving the CB-St the "stays back at all times" PPM.

2 hours ago, eXistenZ said:

That could work! I would be tempted to play a complete player like this as a lone 6 if you can find one.

Hi guys, I want to build a 'dirty team' able in the 'dark arts' of football...how behavioural player traits 

-Gets crowd going

-Argues with officials

-Winds up opponents 

can impact in the ME during a match?

And there are real players with Unsporting personality or is It reserved for newgens?

Edited by Fox-7-

41 minutes ago, Fox-7- said:

Hi guys, I want to build a 'dirty team' able in the 'dark arts' of football...how behavioural player traits 

-Gets crowd going

-Argues with officials

-Winds up opponents 

And there are real players with Unsporting personality or is It reserved for newgens?

Just newgens. Real players are never given bad personalities ... just think of the lawsuits!

vor 8 Stunden schrieb Hovis Dexter:

Just newgens. Real players are never given bad personalities ... just think of the lawsuits!

The infamous Oliver Kahn lawsuit. Possible lawsuits are also the reason why clubs can't go bankrupt in FM.

9 hours ago, Fox-7- said:

-Gets crowd going

-Argues with officials

-Winds up opponents 

I like it, look for high Aggression too 

• 2 weeks later...

I want to play a defensive and counter-attacking tactic with low lines, restricting space and patiently waiting for opponent's mistakes to get the ball and go for a counter.

A few pages back I was advised that the optimal Mentality to achieve this is Attacking, as this will make my players take more risks and play quicker and more vertical passes and runs (which means they'll try to counter more often). However, I was worried that a Mentality that is theoretically "offensive" could make my team less effective defensive (whereas defensive solidity is the number one priority).

Is Mentality really just "Risk", and can I play defensive football with an Attacking Mentality?

4 minutes ago, stopazricky said:

I want to play a defensive and counter-attacking tactic with low lines, restricting space and patiently waiting for opponent's mistakes to get the ball and go for a counter.

A few pages back I was advised that the optimal Mentality to achieve this is Attacking, as this will make my players take more risks and play quicker and more vertical passes and runs (which means they'll try to counter more often). However, I was worried that a Mentality that is theoretically "offensive" could make my team less effective defensive (whereas defensive solidity is the number one priority).

Is Mentality really just "Risk", and can I play defensive football with an Attacking Mentality?

You could play on a Positive mentality + on a narrow width to try to get both.

I've liked lower mentality defensive approaches for the ability to up the tempo significantly in sections of the match myself, but it depends on how you build your tactic/squad. Both approaches can work, tinkering around with passing meters/take more risk in the PIs can help a bit as well. 

The mentality will impact pretty much everything in the tactic, I would recommend experimenting on "Defensive, Balanced, & Positive" and picking the one that suits how you'd like to see your team play the best.