Quickfire Questions and Answers Thread (Tactic and Training Questions Only)

• Replies 17.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, mikcheck said:

I see that very few people uses someone in FB position with a defend duty. Do you guys see anything wrong in particular using a defending duty fullback?

No, there is nothing wrong with using a FB on a defend duty. You could either use him as an additional defend duty to generally have a higher player count in rest defence. You could also use him to allow a bit more freedom for players in the DM strata, eg. DLP / RGA on support or maybe even and VOL on an attack duty. Just make sure, there is always someone who is working the wing.

10 hours ago, mikcheck said:

I see that very few people uses someone in FB position with a defend duty. Do you guys see anything wrong in particular using a defending duty fullback?

It's a role I'd never use personally, I can't think of an upside to using it over FB(s). 

A FB(s) is fantastic though, one of my favorite in the game. On FB(s) you can go into the PIs and tell him what you'd like to do specifically (like hold position). FB(d) comes with hard coded PIs like "cross from deep" as well as "take fewer risks" (this combo sucks on 99% of fullbacks). FB(s) provides the utility the modern role demands and provides flexibility in customization. 

Edited by Cloud9

Given that in game are two separated phases of play, how would a combination of "Counterpress" Transition instruction and "Low block" Out of Possession instruction work?

On a lost ball, there's an amount of time (or a point on the pitch) when the ME decide that the Transition phase is over and the Out of Possession phase begins and I expect to see the players switching from the Counterpress to running back for the Low block?

1 minute ago, Fox-7- said:

Given that in game are two separated phases of play, how would a combination of "Counterpress" Transition instruction and "Low block" Out of Possession instruction work?

As you'd expect really, your players will defend in a low block, then when in possession and they lose the ball, they'll Counter Press 

2 minutes ago, Fox-7- said:

On a lost ball, there's an amount of time (or a point on the pitch) when the ME decide that the Transition phase is over and the Out of Possession phase begins and I expect to see the players switching from the Counterpress to running back for the Low block?

Yeah, the transition could be seconds then the players will reposition themselves as per the TIs, so if your opponent's play out of the Counter Press, your players will then set themselves back into position   

On 23/02/2023 at 21:02, mikcheck said:

But isn't a viable option? Some people use a low or medium block with more urgent pressing 

Maybe a bit late to this but I currently use a BWM (D) and SV (A) in my double pivot for my 4-2-3-1 formation for Man Utd. Play a mid block, ultra high line with push up for defenders for a very aggressive press. Hoping to win it but leave enough room for players like Rashford, Antony, Sancho and now Osimhen to attack.

Second half if I have a lead I have a pretty similar variant with the only things I really change is the BWM to an Anchor and the SV from (A) to (S).While changing to just a high line and removing the step up option. I tend to use this away from home against the better teams as well and it seems to be working pretty well so far.

Is AF(a) or PF(a) better for scoring himself in this formation?

---striker---

IF(a) - AP(a) - IW(s)

Volante(s)-DM(d)

WB(s)-CB(d)-CB(d)-WB(a)

Vertical Tiki-taka, attacking mentality

Edited by Novem9

1 hour ago, Novem9 said:

Is AF(a) or PF(a) better for scoring himself in this formation?

---striker---

IF(a) - AP(a) - IW(s)

Volante(s)-DM(d)

WB(s)-CB(d)-CB(d)-WB(a)

Vertical Tiki-taka, attacking mentality

Would probably base it off the team's press, high press use a Pressing Forward, mid block use a an AF. Not a huge amount of difference between the two roles really 

1 час назад, Johnny Ace сказал:

Would probably base it off the team's press, high press use a Pressing Forward, mid block use a an AF. Not a huge amount of difference between the two roles really 

In my observation, AF tends to wander in front, while PF maintains a position in the center when the team is in possession. The main point that confuses is which of them interacts better with IF on the left

1 hour ago, Novem9 said:

In my observation, AF tends to wander in front, while PF maintains a position in the center when the team is in possession. The main point that confuses is which of them interacts better with IF on the left

From your observation, an AF then to cover as much space as possible :thup:

Any tips on getting the most out of two footed wingbacks?

I'm playing one currently as a WB(s) in a 5 at the back system. I dig that the opposition can't show him onto his weaker foot and his ability to build up from the back. Is it worth sticking "roam" on a player like this?

4 minutes ago, Cloud9 said:

I'm playing one currently as a WB(s) in a 5 at the back system. I dig that the opposition can't show him onto his weaker foot and his ability to build up from the back. Is it worth sticking "roam" on a player like this?

Doesn't CWB have roam? You could try that.

32 minutes ago, Cloud9 said:

Cwb (more offensive obv) or fb, both roles are balanced, sometimes they cut inside sometimes they stay wide.

Does stamina affect a player's ability to press in-game? Getting really frustrated with the AI seemingly able to full-bore press for the entire match, even when my team has 65-70% possession, which should be tiring their players out from pressing us all game.

25 minutes ago, RCCook said:

Does stamina affect a player's ability to press in-game? Getting really frustrated with the AI seemingly able to full-bore press for the entire match, even when my team has 65-70% possession, which should be tiring their players out from pressing us all game.

Yes it does, your players may be getting overworked/overplayed if you're seeing them get tired quickly in matches. 

Edited by Cloud9

Good evening, I have read many guides and topics on this forum, before starting a new career, I would like to ask if my tactics are good or there is something to improve, thank you.

F9

IWa        SSa            IFa

A  - Roaming Playmaker

WBw  OGBd CDd   FBd

Mentality offensive 

18 hours ago, Cloud9 said:

What does the media handling style "Plays Mind Games" indicate? Not included in any personality guide I can find. 

Screenshot 2023-03-22 at 3.08.38 PM.png

Has he just become a staff member or taken his badges? As this was reserved for staff only and came into the game for FM20. That's why it's on no personality guide as it's staff only. Just means they give answered that can be classed as mindgames. So might put pressure back on you if asked about something like "Do you think you'll win this game" etc.

Edited by Cleon

Hello, looking for some tactical help 

Using a 4-2-3-1 

SK(d) 

fb-s bpd cb-d wb-s

bmw-s Dlp-s

iW-A  AP-A  IF-s 

AF 

pass into space 

play out of defence 

counter, counter press

high press, more often prevent short GK dist 

Tactic has been working well was able to win the CL last season

however my current issue is playing against 4-3-3 against a specific team 

It’s basically gegenpress with two inside forwards, advanced playmaker and box 2 box and defensive midfielder 

I can’t figure out how to play against it, goals usually come from through balls, or from inside forward cutting inside - also my players don’t seem to track the runs of the b2b/ advanced playmaker 

im looking for help on how to try stop this tactic, I’ve tried tight marking the advanced playmaker, or the defensive midfielder, and hard tackling / pressing the midfielders and showing inside forwards onto weaker foot but just not working 

Any tips pls - 

ps - this is a network game so it’s not an ai manager / tactic 

I need help in how to change my tactic based on who I am playing.

I am playing as Reading in the English Championship, I went 20 games un-beaten at second in the table by only 2 points.  I played a 4-2-3-1 formation but narrow, using the vertical Tika-Taka instructions, with minor tweaks.  Going into each game I would make small changes, i.e. changing one of my W-S to an IF-S if I thought I could utilise the space better, changed mentality from Balanced to either Cautious or Positive, depending on who I was playing.

Then my form dropped off a cliff, 12 games without a win and ow sitting 8th.  No matter what I tried, I could not buy a win.  The game kept saying that the fans where unhappy as I would not change tactics...  so does that mean you must have two different formations, or can you have a base tactic that you can tweak.

And how do you use the opposition scouts report to amend you approach to the game?

44 minutes ago, LeonardSnart said:

How to use halfback in 4-2-3-1?

The strength of the halfback is to drop back between the central defenders to help in buildup and allow the fullbacks to move high up the pitch. The 4231 with its double pivot is also made to allow the fullbacks to move more aggressively. However, you only have two c/dm midfielders to support the play centrally. Therefore I don’t think an HB is the best choice in a 4231. It doesn’t really give you any benefits compared to your natural formation. 

PFs

Wa                               IFa

MEZs - CARs

Regista

IWSd -BPDd - CDd - WBs
                       GKLs

1.mentality offensive, much shorter passing, dribble less, play out defense , work ball into box, highter tempo

2.counter Press, counter , Press ball to regista

3. Prevent gk, LOE max, DL 1+  up, pressing 1+ up

BPD + WB dribble more

Wa Roam from position

All players shot less

I was thinking about changing CAR to DLP/BWM and WB to FBs to make the defense even better. Is it good idea ?

Any tips?  Thank you

Edited by GabiGoll

18 hours ago, mikcheck said:

When you use one, do you guys play a IWB on the same side of his favourite foot?

No, the opposite (like an IF) but having him on the same side of his stronger foot will have him play a little differently. I quite often play Full Backs like this, so rather than use the IWB role, I'll play the FB on the opposite side to his stronger foot :thup:

4 hours ago, GabiGoll said:

I was thinking about changing CAR to DLP/BWM and WB to FBs to make the defense even better. Is it good idea ?

Any tips?  Thank you

For a question like this, you're probably better off creating your own dedicated thread, you'll get more eyes and help on it then

Anyway, give it a try out in a few games , watch as much of the games as you and makes notes, what you like, what you don't 

I think your CAR is fine at right MC, a BWM would be a could choice too, a DLP wouldn't really be a good role with your Regista right behind him. The IWB(D) is a bit flat, you've got a great combo with the MEZZ(S) and W(A), I'd probably bump the IWB up to Support  

On 26/03/2023 at 09:50, mikcheck said:

When you use one, do you guys play a IWB on the same side of his favourite foot?

Depends. If you need a ready made player really fast, I'd say yes and try and retrain a FB on that side. Longer but probably more successful tries would be with opposite foot players and midfielders of either foot

1 hour ago, GabiGoll said:

1.Team fluidity fluid means better team defense? structured means our team is better on offense?

2.In formation 4231 gegenpressing style better to have 2 helpers DM or CM?

1: Don't pay attention to team fluidity, it doesn't have an important meaning anymore.

2: Personally and from what I've read, 4231 works better with DM's this year due to changes made to pivot behaviours.

I'm going crazy here, it might be right under my eyes but i just cannot get it.

What makes some players unable to learn some traits? Like for example playing one-twos doesn't come up for every player

3 hours ago, GabiGoll said:

1.Team fluidity fluid means better team defense? structured means our team is better on offense?

No, Team Fluidity is just a Label that helps you to understand how you did set up your team. The more support duties you use, the more fluid your team will play, as more players will actively be involved in all phases of play. The more attack/defend duties you use, the more structured your team will play, because responsibilities are more clearly divided between your players. It can be said, that both fluid and structured play styles have their benefits, e.g. a more fluid approach will be beneficial if you want your squad to move as a compact unit. If you are looking to create and use more space, then maybe a strucured approach might be yours.

The Number of Attack / Defend duties will determine if your team shifts its balance more into he attacking or defensive direction.

3 hours ago, GabiGoll said:

2.In formation 4231 gegenpressing style better to have 2 helpers DM or CM?

Depends on the Game Version you are playing. If its FM23, then 2x DM. FM22 and lower is 2x CM

47 minutes ago, GabiGoll said:

DL -1 

DL should be +1 at least for proper gegenpress.

On 23/03/2023 at 09:27, Cleon said:

Has he just become a staff member or taken his badges? As this was reserved for staff only and came into the game for FM20. That's why it's on no personality guide as it's staff only. Just means they give answered that can be classed as mindgames. So might put pressure back on you if asked about something like "Do you think you'll win this game" etc.

Ahh, I see :thup: Thanks!  Couldn't find that answer anywhere.

15 hours ago, Raymond85 said:

I'm going crazy here, it might be right under my eyes but i just cannot get it.

What makes some players unable to learn some traits? Like for example playing one-twos doesn't come up for every player

I'm not 100% but it might be down to the coach you are asking 

3 ore fa, Johnny Ace ha scritto:

I'm not 100% but it might be down to the coach you are asking 

i've tried multiple coaches, it seems to be a trend with players on multiple positions, even if versatile and fully fit to do the job i'm asking them. I'm out of ideas. One example is not managing to teach Jurrein Timber to play one-twos

21 minutes ago, Raymond85 said:

i've tried multiple coaches, it seems to be a trend with players on multiple positions, even if versatile and fully fit to do the job i'm asking them. I'm out of ideas. One example is not managing to teach Jurrein Timber to play one-twos

He's a defender/ right back, right?

I'm not at the game right now so maybe because he's a defender, it's not a suitable trait or something. See you can train it on another centre back or I'll have a look when I've got the game open 

16 minuti fa, Johnny Ace ha scritto:

He's a defender/ right back, right?

I'm not at the game right now so maybe because he's a defender, it's not a suitable trait or something. See you can train it on another centre back or I'll have a look when I've got the game open 

Yes, but he's also natural at mc. Another one that cannot learn it is Florian Grillitsch. I think i'm noticing that only natural players in the AM strata can learn it, but i'm still looking around

4 minutes ago, Raymond85 said:

Yes, but he's also natural at mc. Another one that cannot learn it is Florian Grillitsch. I think i'm noticing that only natural players in the AM strata can learn it, but i'm still looking around

Interesting, I'll have a look later

8 minuti fa, Johnny Ace ha scritto:

@Raymond85I can train the trait on any position excluding goalkeepers and centre backs, it's probably because he can play centre back 

It's under Movement, this is my right back

one twos.png

Edit: i have to check something

Edited by Raymond85

14 minuti fa, Johnny Ace ha scritto:

@Raymond85I can train the trait on any position excluding goalkeepers and centre backs, it's probably because he can play centre back 

It's under Movement, this is my right back

one twos.png

Here, Youri Regeer is natural at MC, DR and WR it does not appear for me. He only has tries long range passes as a trait currently. I don't understand why many players have this for me. Maybe the accomplished CB?

image.thumb.png.cf82a9efe032da1aab777e530ba56b4f.png

Edited by Raymond85

Just now, Raymond85 said:

Here, Youri Regeer is natural at MC, DR and WR it does not appear for me. He only has tries long range passes as a trait currently. I don't understand why many players have this for me

image.thumb.png.cf82a9efe032da1aab777e530ba56b4f.png

He can play centre back so it probably blocks the trait 

1 minuto fa, Johnny Ace ha scritto:

He can play centre back so it probably blocks the trait 

That's what i'm thinking too. It's a shame because some players i would like them to have that, and even though i would never play them as center back, being accomplished in game blocks it

Just curious: 1) what's the logic behind the existence of some player treats that are absent in player instructions ? 2) And the opposite, some player instructions absent in player treats ? An example for 1) is "Comes deep to get the ball" and for 2) Closing Down.

11 minutes ago, pedrosantos said:

Just curious: 1) what's the logic behind the existence of some player treats that are absent in player instructions ? 2) And the opposite, some player instructions absent in player treats ? An example for 1) is "Comes deep to get the ball" and for 2) Closing Down.

Just adds a tendency for a player to do something. 

9 minutes ago, pedrosantos said:

Traits and Instructions are two separate things. Traits are like habits that a player has when he plays and Instructions are what you are instructing them to do on the pitch. Like, it wouldn't make sense to instruct a player to Curl Balls, he either has that in his locker or he doesn't 

8 minutes ago, Johnny Ace said:

Traits and Instructions are two separate things. Traits are like habits that a player has when he plays and Instructions are what you are instructing them to do on the pitch. Like, it wouldn't make sense to instruct a player to Curl Balls, he either has that in his locker or he doesn't 

Thanks. But why not a player instruction to come deep when there's one to get further forward (and also as treat) ? Or a treat to close down (since there's one to mark tighter)? Trying to understand where's the coherence.

22 minutes ago, pedrosantos said:

Thanks. But why not a player instruction to come deep when there's one to get further forward (and also as treat) ? Or a treat to close down (since there's one to mark tighter)? Trying to understand where's the coherence.

Support duties will naturally come deep, think of a Support duty on a striker, he'll come deeper than an Attack duty so it's kind of there 

A trait for closing down isn't really needed, a manager will instruct a player on how much or little a player closes down via his tactical instructions and role