Quickfire Questions and Answers Thread (Tactic and Training Questions Only)

4 minutes ago, mikcheck said:

So its something like this: Outside of your defensive third its the pressing traps; inside your defensive third its the invite or prevent crosses? 

Sounds about right to me :thup:

It's Beta time, so time to play around with these things, have to admit, in the past I've not bothered with defensive width and kept it as balanced, the same in FM23 so far too 

• Replies 17.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Johnny Ace said:

Sounds about right to me :thup:

It's Beta time, so time to play around with these things, have to admit, in the past I've not bothered with defensive width and kept it as balanced, the same in FM23 so far too 

Same. I'm trying to keep my tactics very simple this year so I won't be playing around with that TI for now. 

Edited by Gee_Simpson

8 minutes ago, rrreee3 said:

What's currently the best way to comprehend team mentality effect to the overall tactic? I feel like i might've missed few important points to take away from it

Mentality is the basic layer, the big picture of your tactical approach. It has effect on almost everything, like Tempo, Passing Directness, Pressing, individual Player Mentality and many more. Its refined then by adding team and player instructions. Its adviseable to choose the Team Mentality in context with your set up of roles and duties. 

16 minutes ago, CARRERA said:

Mentality is the basic layer, the big picture of your tactical approach. It has effect on almost everything, like Tempo, Passing Directness, Pressing, individual Player Mentality and many more. Its refined then by adding team and player instructions. Its adviseable to choose the Team Mentality in context with your set up of roles and duties. 

Will a player on support duty play like attack duty if the mentality is set to positive or more?

8 hours ago, rrreee3 said:

Will a player on support duty play like attack duty if the mentality is set to positive or more?

Yes and no. Team mentality will change players mentality and so a high enough mentality will play like an attacking duty player on the ball. Meaning they will more often choose low percentage plays, through balls, pass it quicker and dive into tackles.

However off the ball I've noticed a big difference in what position defend, support and attack duties take up. In general when their team mate has the ball, Defend duties will sit deeper and look to cover them, Support duties will present for the pass and Attack duties will look for a ball in behind their marker. I use this as a rough guide when building tactics to try and work out if I'm giving players the right passing options around them.

8 hours ago, rrreee3 said:

No, because the duty of a player is more then just their mentality and the roles instructions.

The duty is about the players responsibility within the tactical construct. 

• Attack duty players create depth ahead of the ball and move to receive the final pass.
  • Support duty players link up play and offer safe passing options to support the team
  • Defend duty players create depth behind the ball and try to protect the pace.

Ideally you place your players in a way where every attack/defend duty player has a support duty player around him.

And yes, there are some role / duty combinations that are kind of inbetween, playmakers with an attack duty for example.

9 hours ago, rrreee3 said:

What's currently the best way to comprehend team mentality effect to the overall tactic? I feel like i might've missed few important points to take away from it

The simplest, most reductive way to understand mentality is to see it in terms of risk. The higher the mentality, the greater the risk the players take. On defensive, they might recycle the ball a lot, playing short simple passes until a clear opening is spotted. On an attacking mentality, they'll try to get the ball forward much more quickly and risk losing possession and maybe being caught out of position on the counter. This is important to take into account, because a common misunderstanding is that teams don't attack on defensive or cautious mentalities. If you set up right against compliant opposition, they'll still spot numerous opportunities to attack, and you can rack up high scores even on very defensive.

If I have a Striker whose PI is to Shoot More Often, but I still don't see him taking as many shots as I would want him to, could I technically fix it by adding "Shoot on SIght" as a Team Instruction, and then instructing every single player but the ST to "Shoot Less Often"?

Same applies in general: If I want a specific player to Dribble More, and just him, is it useful to set up the TI "Run at Defense" and then ask all the other 10 players to Dribble Less Often?

Why are people still left alone at the edge of the box on defending indirect free kicks? You spent hours doing your setpieces because we still havent a setpiece maker.  You put 1 or 2 players on edge of area and they just dont do it.... Been like that since at least FM21

6 games into the season and already conceded 7 from ifk....

Edited by eXistenZ

On 04/11/2022 at 16:34, stopazricky said:

If I have a Striker whose PI is to Shoot More Often, but I still don't see him taking as many shots as I would want him to, could I technically fix it by adding "Shoot on SIght" as a Team Instruction, and then instructing every single player but the ST to "Shoot Less Often"?

Same applies in general: If I want a specific player to Dribble More, and just him, is it useful to set up the TI "Run at Defense" and then ask all the other 10 players to Dribble Less Often?

No. There are basically 3 settings. Shoot less often (rarely), shoot sometimes and shoot more often. Doubling up on the instruction won't change anything wrt your striker who, by default should be on the middle setting 'sometimes'.

4 hours ago, eXistenZ said:

Low block, low defensive line. Yet about 5-6 balls over the top conceded of which 2 became a goal.... that doesnt seem correct. What happened there?

Too much space for the opposition must likely. Did you use „drop off“ instruction and regroup?

23 minutes ago, CARRERA said:

Too much space for the opposition must likely. Did you use „drop off“ instruction and regroup?

you dont say...

my point being that when you use a low block, there shouldnt be any space.... or at least not to that extent

Regroup is irrelevant here as it wasnt a transition phase, and yes i was on drop of more

54 minutes ago, pedrosantos said:

In a 442 formation, is there way to make one of my forwards, in the defensive phase, to position himself in one of the flanks ? A 442 with the ball a 433 without the ball.

Not sure, you could ask him to mark a winger 

3 hours ago, eXistenZ said:

you dont say...

my point being that when you use a low block, there shouldnt be any space.... or at least not to that extent

Regroup is irrelevant here as it wasnt a transition phase, and yes i was on drop of more

How much pressure does your team apply in terms of pressing / tackling?

Too much or not enough could cause this. 

Of course, there is also a chance that it’s just in MEs flavour. 

2 minutes ago, Angus Osborne said:

Press Outside

Yeah makes sense, but how to target them in particular? Should I get the 10 to man mark one and a CM to manmark the other? Both 9 and 10 to block them off? Only block ballside CM? (How would you do that in FM?)

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but here we go.   I have downloaded this tactic, 587f5be6b2d9b_442DiegoSimeoneStrikerless_3F30D31F-2F33-4429-8D1F-3080234EBB47.fmfand put it into the Tactics folder via Documents/SportsInteractive/FootballManager 2023/Tactics but it doesn't app587f5be6b2d9b_442DiegoSimeoneStrikerless_3F30D31F-2F33-4429-8D1F-3080234EBB47.fmfear in the Tactics in-game.  Any help please?

I have two wonderful players who are best suited too playing as a Dm Deeplying Playmaker support and a AMC Advanced Playmaker Attack respectively. 

Assuming everything else is equal, what kind of tactical framework would best suit the use of those two types of roles?

Fun fact, because I offered the contract to the Deeplying Playmaker while I was half cut, he has a promise in his contact that he must be played in DM as a Deeplying Playmaker Support

22 hours ago, Internomad said:

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but here we go.   I have downloaded this tactic, 587f5be6b2d9b_442DiegoSimeoneStrikerless_3F30D31F-2F33-4429-8D1F-3080234EBB47.fmfand put it into the Tactics folder via Documents/SportsInteractive/FootballManager 2023/Tactics but it doesn't app587f5be6b2d9b_442DiegoSimeoneStrikerless_3F30D31F-2F33-4429-8D1F-3080234EBB47.fmfear in the Tactics in-game.  Any help please?

It should do, try moving it to your desktop and see if it'll load from there

18 hours ago, allyc31 said:

I have two wonderful players who are best suited too playing as a Dm Deeplying Playmaker support and a AMC Advanced Playmaker Attack respectively. 

Assuming everything else is equal, what kind of tactical framework would best suit the use of those two types of roles?

Fun fact, because I offered the contract to the Deeplying Playmaker while I was half cut, he has a promise in his contact that he must be played in DM as a Deeplying Playmaker Support

I was about to say you don't have to play them as playmakers just because they're suited to the roles but looks like you're going to have to use at least one :lol:

Could always just go for 4-3-3 DM, use the one as a DLP and use the other how you like 

I have 2 versions of my tactic - a Cautious low block, and a Positive mid-block. The TIs differ, as do the OIs.

My question is, when I save a set of Positional OIs for one tactic, and a different set for the other tactic, the game 'forgets' the 2nd set of OIs. Is there a way I can make 2 sets of OI instructions stick?

Edited by phnompenhandy

6 minutes ago, phnompenhandy said:

I have 2 versions of my tactic - a Cautious low block, and a Positive mid-block. The TIs differ, as do the OIs.

My question is, when I save a set of Positional OIs for one tactic, and a different set for the other tactic, the game 'forgets' the 2nd set of OIs. Is there a way I can make 2 sets of OI instructions stick?

They should save in, did this work on previous versions?

1 hour ago, Johnny Ace said:

I was about to say you don't have to play them as playmakers just because they're suited to the roles but looks like you're going to have to use at least one :lol:

Could always just go for 4-3-3 DM, use the one as a DLP and use the other how you like 

I might have too

let this be a lesson to all of you. Don’t enter contract negations when you’ve had a skinful 

11 minutes ago, kingjericho said:

Why did SI change some preset formations, employing DMs where used to be CMs? Biggest example the 4231 is now with DMs in all preset styles.

Just to better represent the 4-2-3-1 using the double pivot 

@Jack Joycehas gone into depth over it a few times 

33 minutes ago, Johnny Ace said:

Just to better represent the 4-2-3-1 using the double pivot 

I think that is possibly the most important thing in FM23 that I've seen thus far, thanks a lot for pointing that out to me.

I agree with some comments that perhaps the DM/MC positions should be just one, and roles would do the rest. For example I could have a 4-3-3 - flat of course because no DM+CM bracket - and roles would make it a triangle, e.g. MCL Mezzalla At / MCC Anchorman Df / MCR Box2Box Su

What's the best way to develop young players e.g. what age should they be in the U18, U23, need first time football/should send on loan, how to facilities impact it? Want some advice mainly because I have a number of young players and I'm not sure whether to send on loan to get first team football or keep behind as reserves.

1 minute ago, Sud2002 said:

What's the best way to develop young players e.g. what age should they be in the U18, U23, need first time football/should send on loan, how to facilities impact it? Want some advice mainly because I have a number of young players and I'm not sure whether to send on loan to get first team football or keep behind as reserves.

So much stuff on this!

Top 3 in YouTube search:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=football+manager+youth+development+guide+

46 minutes ago, Salsa666 said:

Is it overkill to play two AP in AMC (left & right) behind a AF?

i play a 5-2-2-1 wb dm

Possibly? You need more than one runner I'd imagine, so maybe a really agressive wingback. But still that's only two runners with two sitting in the whole looking for someone to move beyond them to thread through balls for. Maybe try one as a customized AM, or a Treq, and that could vary things up a little more.

Question: this year (FM23), what effect does mentality have on passing directness?

FM seems to be changing the effect of mentalities on passing directness/longness from time to time (at least according to the UI), and this year the effect is not clear to me yet, so if someone from FM could clarify this, it would be very welcome. To me it was clear how it used to work previously, but for FM23, looking at the UI, it is confusing.

Older FMs:
In older FMs (around FM17 or something), it worked like this (you could clearly see this effect when you looked at the player instructions):

more defensive mentalities (counter/cautios and lower):
- defend duty players: more direct passes
- attack duty players: shorter passes

more offensive mentalities (control/positive and higher ):
- defend duty players: shorter passes
- attack players: more direct passes

FM 21
On FM21 the UI suggests that it it has an effect on the whole team ('In Possession' TI):

more defensive mentalities (cautios and lower):
- shorter passes

more offensive mentalities (positive and higher ):
- more direct passes

So, for example, according to the UI:
- Defensive mentality: the default passing directness for the whole team is "Slightly Shorter"
- Attacking mentality: the default passing directness for the whole team is "Slightly More Direct"

FM 23
Now, according to the UI:
Defensive mentality: Slightly More Direct
Positive mentality: Slightly Shorter
BUT
on Very Attacking mentality, it is: Slightly More Direct, just like on Defensive mentality.

So when someone looks at the UI, it seems like that mentality does not have a linear effect on passing directness, it goes from More Direct to Slightly Shorter to More Direct again.
Do you see why it is confusing?

So could someone from the FM staff please clarify what is the effect of mentalites on passing directness this year?

Thank you in advance,
David

Edited by cocoadavid
typo

5 hours ago, mikcheck said:

If you want your GK to kick the ball to longer distances, like playing in a more counter attacking style, which attributes you look for? Kicking and passing?

I'd say kicking is how far he can kick it. If passing has an effect, it will be accuracy. I just look at kicking, personally.

2 hours ago, Hypercane6 said:

What’s the difference between youth recruitment and junior coaching? Which should I prioritise for a youth building save?

2 hours ago, phnompenhandy said:

Junior coaching affects the CA of the incoming kids.

With better Youth Recruitment, you'll get kids with better PA (on average)

Junior Coaching and Youth Recruitment (and Youth Facilities) all have a roughly equal affect on the CA and PA of newgens.  Link to SI post.

That above link also explains what they mean :thup:.