Quickfire Questions and Answers Thread (Tactic and Training Questions Only)

1 hour ago, SanTullo said:

Tight marking instruction is seemingly removed from out of possession in fm23? Or am I just missing something here.

Yes, it got removedĀ 

37 minutes ago, mikcheck said:

Playing in a lower block with a 442, how importat is in your opinion for the 2 midfielders to have good positioning, bravery and tackling (even more in this case, as there's only 2 midfielders in the middle) ?

For me it would be advisable, as they need to provide stability in the center

• Replies 17.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Been looking for a while and canā€™t find an answer for this

Ā 

is a Segundo Volante a ā€˜ball magnetā€™ eg is that role considered a playmaker by the other players?

only reason Iā€™m asking it because the description specifically mentions Deep Lying PlaymakerĀ 

7 horas atrƔs, allyc31 disse:

Been looking for a while and canā€™t find an answer for this

Ā 

is a Segundo Volante a ā€˜ball magnetā€™ eg is that role considered a playmaker by the other players?

only reason Iā€™m asking it because the description specifically mentions Deep Lying PlaymakerĀ 

I'm almost sure that SV is not a ball magnet

2 minutes ago, mikcheck said:

A central defender with high jumping reach but poor heading, does that put you off or would you still consider that player?

His clearance probably won't be accurate but at least he's getting to itĀ :thup:Ā (all being well)

12 minutos atrƔs, Johnny Ace disse:

His clearance probably won't be accurate but at least he's getting to itĀ :thup:Ā (all being well)

What does poor heading really means? That the player don't know how to head the ball? A poor technique when doing it?Ā 

3 minutes ago, mikcheck said:

What does poor heading really means? That the player don't know how to head the ball? A poor technique when doing it?Ā 

I think so, a bit like Passing but with your head, the accuracy of where they goĀ 

I consistently have problems with opposition getting high numbers of shots in the box. Happens in most of my tactics. I always play a back 4. I either have

CD(def) CD (def) or

CD (def) CD(cov)

I usually end up putting the PI ā€˜press lessā€™ on the whole back 4 to keep shape. Is this contributing to Ā opponents taking shots away easily inside the box?
Ā 

It might also be midfield issues and allowing too many final 3rd entries. Itā€™s just the consistency Iā€™m having this problem that making me wonder about my back 4 set up. Thanks.Ā 

Inside forward (and to less extent inverted winger) are doing horrible for me in my first ten league matches.Ā  Encountered this problem in FM21 and never managed to fix it. Any early opinions on this? 433 dm wide with a target forward support. Often I see their ratings drop off to 6.5 in the first ten minutes, exactly the same as happened in 21.

19 ore fa, Lambielsa ha scritto:

I consistently have problems with opposition getting high numbers of shots in the box. Happens in most of my tactics. I always play a back 4. I either have

CD(def) CD (def) or

CD (def) CD(cov)

I usually end up putting the PI ā€˜press lessā€™ on the whole back 4 to keep shape. Is this contributing to Ā opponents taking shots away easily inside the box?
Ā 

It might also be midfield issues and allowing too many final 3rd entries. Itā€™s just the consistency Iā€™m having this problem that making me wonder about my back 4 set up. Thanks.Ā 

Without some screenshots in-game is difficult to say but probably it's your midfield. They are not covering passing lanes to CMs so they have a good shot

14 hours ago, eXistenZ said:

Inside forward (and to less extent inverted winger) are doing horrible for me in my first ten league matches.Ā  Encountered this problem in FM21 and never managed to fix it. Any early opinions on this? 433 dm wide with a target forward support. Often I see their ratings drop off to 6.5 in the first ten minutes, exactly the same as happened in 21.

Inside Forwards are pretty awesome in a 4-3-3, I use them with a DLF over a Target Forward though. I'm guessing your TF would make a good DLF (Jumping Reach, Strength, Balance etc)

You might be better off posting your full tactic on the T&T board for more in depth help

Il 26/10/2022 in 16:11 , Johnny Ace ha scritto:

Inside Forwards are pretty awesome in a 4-3-3, I use them with a DLF over a Target Forward though. I'm guessing your TF would make a good DLF (Jumping Reach, Strength, Balance etc)

You might be better off posting your full tactic on the T&T board for more in depth help

Don't know if they fixed them on FM23. In the 22 both IF/IW were pretty useless if you wanted to play in the half-space

Has anyone found an answer how to deal with the long balls over the defenders in FM23? I've been losing games where I'm very much in control just to be beaten by a single pirlo pass over the top leaving their striker in a 1on1 situation with my keeper, which in most cases ends up being a goal.

I'm currently playing a midblock setup with a BPD(d) on the left side, CD(d) on the right side, and a DLP(s) and Segundo Volante (a) right in front of them.

50 minuti fa, diLLa88 ha scritto:

Has anyone found an answer how to deal with the long balls over the defenders in FM23? I've been losing games where I'm very much in control just to be beaten by a single pirlo pass over the top leaving their striker in a 1on1 situation with my keeper, which in most cases ends up being a goal.

I'm currently playing a midblock setup with a BPD(d) on the left side, CD(d) on the right side, and a DLP(s) and Segundo Volante (a) right in front of them.

Lower your defensive line or try using a defender on cover. Or get better players

4 hours ago, diLLa88 said:

Did you try asking your Defensive Line to Drop Off? (One of the new instructions)Ā 

14 minutes ago, diLLa88 said:

Not yet no, could try that.

What does this do exactly?

Your defensive line will drop to prevent balls over the top. The downside is that they canā€™t support a potential high press. But might be worth if that (balls over the top) is the main reason for conceding

23 minutes ago, Nick_CB said:

Is it just me or has AMC gone back to being a useless player in tactics? I say this because even with a support role, he has little participation in the creation of opportunities and organization

In FM22 it helped for me to put the lone AMC on either AMCL or AMCR opposed to AMC central with a roam player instruction. So far it seems to work well again in FM23 for me, but have not tested it enough to fully confirm.

25 minutes ago, CARRERA said:

Your defensive line will drop to prevent balls over the top. The downside is that they canā€™t support a potential high press. But might be worth if that (balls over the top) is the main reason for conceding

I'll try it out, thanks. Seems like it could work in theory.

I'm currently running a narrow diamond which has been working well. It is a high press attacking system and the front three are

Pf - a

Cf - s

Ss -a

The midfield is a mez- s and a car -s

The board have accepted an offer on the CF which is kinda annoying!

The replacement I have is a perfect F9 but doesn't have the physicals to be a CF.

When I have changed the role to a f9 it doesn't seem to be working anywhere close to as well. Any ideas to the other roles that you can suggest please?

Ā 

Edited by Spartak Trigger

On 30/10/2022 at 01:19, mikcheck said:

When you guys find a player that perfectly suits your style by the attributes and personality he has, but with 1 unwanted trait, do you still sign him, perhaps hoping that he can unlearn it?

Depends on how much it would affect his game for me

Like I wouldn't want an Inverted Winger with Hugs Line or a Poacher that Comes DeepĀ 

13 hours ago, Spartak Trigger said:

I'm currently running a narrow diamond which has been working well. It is a high press attacking system and the front three are

Pf - a

Cf - s

Ss -a

The midfield is a mez- s and a car -s

The board have accepted an offer on the CF which is kinda annoying!

The replacement I have is a perfect F9 but doesn't have the physicals to be a CF.

When I have changed the role to a f9 it doesn't seem to be working anywhere close to as well. Any ideas to the other roles that you can suggest please?

Ā 

A DLF or PF(S) maybe? I'd probably try and find a player similar to the CF your chairman sold, the CF is one heck of a role with a lot of freedom of movementĀ Ā 

6 hours ago, Johnny Ace said:

Like I wouldn't want an Inverted Winger with Hugs Line or a Poacher that Comes DeepĀ 

I donā€™t necessarily think that Hugs Line is bad for an Inverted Winger. I quite like having an Inverted Winger as the player creating width on one side as opposed to using a Winger.

7 horas atrƔs, Johnny Ace disse:

I signed a striker who can perfectly fit my team, problem is that he likes to comes deep, but I still decided to buy him.

Fingers crossed so he can unlearn thatĀ 

I signed a striker who can perfectly fit my team, problem is that he likes to comes deep, but I still decided to buy him.

Fingers crossed so he can unlearn thatĀ 

I guess you're playing him as an Advanced Forward, PF(A) or a Poacher? For any other striker, it's probably not a problemĀ 

I'm kinda confused about the cm role,Ā  the difference between the cm(su)-cm(at)-cm(de) is just one instruction, like if i add get forward to cm(su) then it is the exact same role as cm(at) ? Is there actually any difference between them apart from the one added instruction or is there really no point to having three different options ?

Just now, FƫanƔro Mƭriel said:

I'm kinda confused about the cm role,Ā  the difference between the cm(su)-cm(at)-cm(de) is just one instruction, like if i add get forward to cm(su) then it is the exact same role as cm(at) ? Is there actually any difference between them apart from the one added instruction or is there really no point to having three different options ?

The mentality of the player, on Defend he'll be more cautious with his actions on the ball and positioning, on Attack he'll be more forward thinking and offensive, on Support he'll be somewhere in betweenĀ  Ā 

2 dakika ƶnce, Johnny Ace said:

The mentality of the player, on Defend he'll be more cautious with his actions on the ball and positioning, on Attack he'll be more forward thinking and offensive, on Support he'll be somewhere in betweenĀ  Ā 

Yeah that was a stupid question... For some reason i always forget there is indiviual mentality in the game. Thanks.

23 hours ago, rapidestimator said:

Could someone help me find a detailed guide for figuring out what playing style suits your team? Something like a list of playing styles and the attributes that you need at different positions to be effective in them.

Not sure there's one on here to be honest but searching the net you should find some answers for football in general and FM

There's some obvious one's like:

• taller or players with good off the ball movement etc up front it's good for direct football
  • if your players have great first touch, passing, anticipation etc it's good for quick short playsĀ 
  • if your back line has great acceleration, concentration, anticipation etc it's great for pushing the defensive up

Very general and lot of etcs because Mental, Technical and Physical attributes cover a broad rangeĀ 

On the other hand, your assistant manager will recommend some styles of play based on your squad when you create a tacticĀ 

3 minutes ago, FƫanƔro Mƭriel said:

Yeah that was a stupid question... For some reason i always forget there is indiviual mentality in the game. Thanks.

No problem, it's a very powerful thing in FM so keep your eye on how aggressive or cautious your players are and check during the games if they're on the right mentalityĀ 

On 02/11/2022 at 15:59, rapidestimator said:

Could someone help me find a detailed guide for figuring out what playing style suits your team? Something like a list of playing styles and the attributes that you need at different positions to be effective in them.

I used to use this - not sure if it's still valid

Ā 

Tactical Analysers

3 minutes ago, mikcheck said:

I don't have or played FM23 but I'm confused about 2 instructions. Isn't trap inside/outside similar to stop/invite crosses? The old defensive width setting?

I'm not in the game but I'm sure there's a separate allow/stop crosses Team InstructionĀ 

1 minuto atrƔs, Johnny Ace disse:

I'm not in the game but I'm sure there's a separate allow/stop crosses Team InstructionĀ 

Yes there is, there is the stop/invite crosses and there is the trap inside/outside. My question is, if it's not basically the same? I'm probably wrong but I see them both as defending narrow or wide

Yes there is, there is the stop/invite crosses and there is the trap inside/outside. My question is, if it's not basically the same? I'm probably wrong but I see them both as defending narrow or wide

Yeah, they sound similar but players can do more than just cross from wideĀ 

40 minutes ago, mikcheck said:

As far as I understood it correctly, theyve split up the Defensive Width setting into these two, to allow the manager to modify the teams behaviour, depending on where the play actually happens. If the other team progressed to your defensive third, you can either protect the center of the pitch against play through the middle or the wide areas to prevent crosses. If the play happens in the middle or final third, you can have your team set up pressing traps either centrally or in wide areas and try to funnel the play through that area.

Or in simple words: You can now instruct your team to defend wide or narrow in two areas of the pitch (defensive third + rest of the pitch) instead of going always wide or narrow as it was before.

9 minutes ago, CARRERA said:

As far as I understood it correctly, theyve split up the Defensive Width setting into these two, to allow the manager to modify the teams behaviour, depending on where the play actually happens. If the other team progressed to your defensive third, you can either protect the center of the pitch against play through the middle or the wide areas to prevent crosses. If the play happens in the middle or final third, you can have your team set up pressing traps either centrally or in wide areas and try to funnel the play through that area.

Or in simple words: You can now instruct your team to defend wide or narrow in two areas of the pitch (defensive third + rest of the pitch) instead of going always wide or narrow as it was before.

That's a good way of looking at it, puzzling thing for me is the little on pitch graphic for when you apply your press inside or out is shown in your own half. I'll have to have a look later because I don't have the game in front of meĀ 

22 minutes ago, Johnny Ace said:

That's a good way of looking at it, puzzling thing for me is the little on pitch graphic for when you apply your press inside or out is shown in your own half. I'll have to have a look later because I don't have the game in front of meĀ 

I think that might be just visual, also I think it actually fades throughout the whole pitch. I've looked up the officiall FM Sources and it states as follows:

Defensive Width has been replaced, too, with four new Instructions, all of which will help you better set up your defensive shape in different zones of the pitch. Outside of your own defensive third, you now have instructions to tell your team to set up a pressing trap out wide or in central areas, affecting the way your team positions and presses when defending ā€“ this can be used as an attempt to funnel the opposition into the area of your choice. Previously, Defensive Width was based around stopping or inviting crosses, but now they are stripped back and presented as their own instructions; you can set your players to be narrow and defend the cross, or ask your full-backs to stop the cross at the source.

Source:Ā https://www.footballmanager.com/features/match-ai-and-animation

Edited by CARRERA

18 minutes ago, CARRERA said:

I think that might be just visual, also I think it actually fades throughout the whole pitch. I've looked up the officiall FM Sources and it states as follows:

Source:Ā https://www.footballmanager.com/features/match-ai-and-animation

Great, that explains it a little better than what's available in gameĀ