Quickfire Questions and Answers Thread (Tactic and Training Questions Only)

9 minutes ago, safcrhys said:

Can someone explain to me why making a simple change such as swapping the roles of the two midfielders behind Maguire can have such a dramatic effect on results?

Very often just a single tweak can have a great effect on a tactic, either positive or negative. So I don't see anything strange here. 

In your example(s) specifically, the first setup has both holding roles behind the AM on support, which allows the AMC more space to operate. In the other setup, your CM is no longer a holder but midfield runner, so there is more competition for space between him and the AMC, because the latter is on support duty. If you changed the AM's duty into attack (in the 2nd setup with CMsu), that would be better in terms of space creation and utilization, but at the same time may require a tweak or two elsewhere (depending on the rest of your setup).

P:S: If you want any further and/or more specific discussion, please start your own separate thread topic.

• Replies 17.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

32 minutes ago, Experienced Defender said:

Very often just a single tweak can have a great effect on a tactic, either positive or negative. So I don't see anything strange here. 

In your example(s) specifically, the first setup has both holding roles behind the AM on support, which allows the AMC more space to operate. In the other setup, your CM is no longer a holder but midfield runner, so there is more competition for space between him and the AMC, because the latter is on support duty. If you changed the AM's duty into attack (in the 2nd setup with CMsu), that would be better in terms of space creation and utilization, but at the same time may require a tweak or two elsewhere (depending on the rest of your setup).

P:S: If you want any further and/or more specific discussion, please start your own separate thread topic.

Cheers! But I’m confused as you say the former should be better than the latter but it’s the other way round on my game.

Edited by safcrhys

Is there a downside to filling up all the training slots (including on sunday's), as long as you don't overly stack them with physicals/ keep an eye on the intensity?

Offcours in england, where the average is 2 games/week, it's not advisable, but in a smaller competition and you are not playing continental football?

If I change position/role/duty training to "playing position", will the additional focus training be more effective? Let's say I have a central defender that I really want to improve in Defensive Positioning (Marking, Tackling, Positioning). Is it best if I only care about the growth of those three attributes to put position/role/duty on playing position? 

Hello guys. Have you had experiences like Raumdeuter? I'm thinking of using this function to be the top scorer on my team because my attacker comes deep with the support function
I wonder what exactly he does when he has the ball

8 horas atrás, dejarik disse:

If I change position/role/duty training to "playing position", will the additional focus training be more effective? Let's say I have a central defender that I really want to improve in Defensive Positioning (Marking, Tackling, Positioning). Is it best if I only care about the growth of those three attributes to put position/role/duty on playing position? 

I believe that the less attributes he trains, the more effective the evolution will be.
If you need it to evolve specific attributes it is better to train only those attributes instead of ALL the attributes of the function performed

Edited by Nick_CB

7 minutes ago, Nick_CB said:

Hello guys. Have you had experiences like Raumdeuter? I'm thinking of using this function to be the top scorer on my team because my attacker comes deep with the support function
I wonder what exactly he does when he has the ball

The description sums it up best for me - he's a wide poacher. He roams and moves in and out of channels, looking for space to be unmarked and available. In my experience, they need to have a clear supply focused to them and, because they're wide, they need to have room created for them to actually dribble into. They also need their defensive duties covered. 

They won't be as effective without them three things: supply; pockets of space to receive the ball in and pockets of of space to attack once they've got the ball. 

4 minutos atrás, DeepThought disse:

The description sums it up best for me - he's a wide poacher. He roams and moves in and out of channels, looking for space to be unmarked and available. In my experience, they need to have a clear supply focused to them and, because they're wide, they need to have room created for them to actually dribble into. They also need their defensive duties covered. 

They won't be as effective without them three things: supply; pockets of space to receive the ball in and pockets of of space to attack once they've got the ball. 

I only had doubts about what he does with the ball, because in the functions he does not cut inside or run wide. Previously I used an IF (A), but I want it closer to the box

5 minutes ago, Nick_CB said:

I only had doubts about what he does with the ball, because in the functions he does not cut inside or run wide. Previously I used an IF (A), but I want it closer to the box

I don't think he cuts inside or runs wide just because that might take away from the freedom of roaming the role is meant to have (just my opinion). But his aim is to drive inside and score. He's looking to be inside that box. If memory serves, he does have an instruction under the hood to make more dribbles into the channels, if that gives you a better idea of his runs. 

I'm not sure of his starting position relative to an IF, other than to say the Raum has 'sit narrower' automatically whereas the IF needs it manually selecting. That, in theory, should have him closer to the box. That said, I have often found Raums finding space far out wide, but that's too do with the old adage of nothing working in isolation and where the space happens to be in that tactic/the quality of who I might have (inappropriately) chosen in the role. 

I think the best bet is to give it a go and see how it acts. If it isn't working as expected, start a new thread with your tactic in and then get some opinions on the specifics. Certainly, a new thread with the specific question, "how do I get my player to do X" might be the most helpful solution to you anyway. 

Playing a 4141-Wide system. When facing 2 striker formations, I change the defensive midfielder to a Half Back so that my CBs don't get outnumbered. Facing formations with 1 ST (with or without AM), I change him to an Anchor Man so he can block passing lanes to the opposition ST. 

Is this reasoning correct? If not, what would you change? 

Looking at width only - 

Guardiola's tactics focus on short passing  - that seems on one hand to suggest a narrow style, so that the central players are close enough to do so, and to enable overloads that would be difficult if players were too spread out.

On the other hand, he favours the AML and AMR staying on the touchline to receive the ball.

What is the best way to encourage passing football - is it to play narrow but put PIs on the AML and AMR to stay wider?

1 hour ago, azxc159 said:

What effect does room from position have?

Gives the player more freedom of movement. 

For example, what happens if you use it in an attacking midfielder or striker?

That depends on a number of factors, one of which is certainly the context of a tactic as a whole. But that cannot be discussed in this quickfire thread, so you'll need to start your own separate topic if you want more details. 

2. How do you use it?
3. Is this not an effective guideline for counterattack tactics?

These 2 questions - like the previous one - cannot be answered in a simple way, so better start your own topic and ask again there. 

Can you distinguish between long pass and cross?

Does the pass count affect the cross? For example, if the pass length is long, do you raise a long cross?

Any ball played from a player to his teammate is essentially a pass. In that respect, crosses are also passes (of sorts). But it does not mean that every long pass is automatically a cross. For one, crosses are played from wide positions, whereas long passes can be played from almost anywhere. 

Btw, there is no such thing as "long cross". 

On 10/02/2021 at 04:25, Sassufan said:

Looking at width only - 

Guardiola's tactics focus on short passing  - that seems on one hand to suggest a narrow style, so that the central players are close enough to do so, and to enable overloads that would be difficult if players were too spread out.

On the other hand, he favours the AML and AMR staying on the touchline to receive the ball.

What is the best way to encourage passing football - is it to play narrow but put PIs on the AML and AMR to stay wider?

Attacking width and passing directness has no relationship at all. This is probably a tactical myth that I have seen repeated many times on online forums. Attacking width refers to how wide of the space you use to build up the attack. More width means more likely your attack will be generated from wider areas. Passing directness on the other hand dictates how long a pass will move between strata for example passing between the DM and CB or any adjacent strata will be most frequent if you use shortest passing. More direct passing will enable your CB to pass long balls to your striker for example. Notice how the wording passing directness is used instead of passing distance.

Edited by zyfon5

7 hours ago, anindyarajan19 said:

Do my players need high aggression to be able to press effectively?

Depends on what levels of pressing you want them to execute. If you want to play with high pressing urgency, then they need more than just aggression - stamina, work rate, determination, teamwork (to name just the few most important attributes). 

Question about training sessions:

My understanding is that "general" training sessions have the full team training together (GK aside) so we don't have an attacking unit and defending unit receiving different benefits when these sessions are selected.  So I don't know if it is an error or intentional if some of the "general" training session list the same attribute being trained in both the primary and secondary focus.  General-Attacking lists Heading and Technique as both a primary focus (60%) and secondary focus (20%).  General-Defending also list Heading and Technique in both groups.  General-Possession lists Technique, Anticipation, Decisions, and Teamwork in both primary and secondary focus.

If this is in error, which focus is correct and if it is incorrect, how is this processed in game since there aren't separate units?

5 hours ago, Britrock said:

How do I train a player to use his weaker foot? I have a right footed player I'm playing at LB and I want to get him to use his left foot but I can't see the option. I thought it used to be a trait to learn to use his weaker foot?

Two footedness is something players can work on in technique training sessions now if I recall correctly.

8 hours ago, Britrock said:

How do I train a player to use his weaker foot? I have a right footed player I'm playing at LB and I want to get him to use his left foot but I can't see the option. I thought it used to be a trait to learn to use his weaker foot?

Iirc, there is no such trait dictating a player to use his weaker foot most of the time. 

I have a question about these training programs; Attacking, Possession and Defending.

There are two groups of players; outfield players and goalkeeping. However outfield players are split in two and they have different impacts (60% and 20%). I add a picture as It will be easier to see what I mean.

spacer.png

Outfield secondary group doesn't get any tactical familiarity, does they?  

Edited by Marcusme1981

As it is performed by all outfield players, I would imagine that all of them get the Tactical Familiarity focus. Think of it as a training drill for all outfield players. All players will perform the 'attacking' which gives them a 60% impact, and also all players will also perform the 'secondary impact' (defending) to give the attacking group some opposition, with those attributes being worked on with 20% impact, if that makes sense. Basically everyone gets a turn at attacking, and then opposing the attack, and so in terms of attributes the players will be impacted by the first focus by 60%, then the secondary focus by 20%. So the whole outfield group of players will get the Tactical Familiarity, Happiness, Team Cohesion, etc. That is my understanding of it anyway.

1 hour ago, Marcusme1981 said:

Outfield secondary group doesn't get any tactical familiarity, does they?

There is not the "secondary" group, because it's a general session that affects all outfield players, so they all gain tactical familiarity in the specified areas (creative freedom in this case). There are just secondary impacts in terms of attribute-targeting, but that's something different. It means that the attributes listed under the "Secondary impacts - priority 20%" receive proportionally less "boost" than those under the "Primary impacts - 60%".

3 hours ago, Experienced Defender said:

There is not the "secondary" group, because it's a general session that affects all outfield players, so they all gain tactical familiarity in the specified areas (creative freedom in this case). There are just secondary impacts in terms of attribute-targeting, but that's something different. It means that the attributes listed under the "Secondary impacts - priority 20%" receive proportionally less "boost" than those under the "Primary impacts - 60%".

Thank you!!!

That made me wonder what happen to Heading that is in both lists. I  mean, Does it receive double boost?

3 hours ago, brookie1402 said:

As it is performed by all outfield players, I would imagine that all of them get the Tactical Familiarity focus. Think of it as a training drill for all outfield players. All players will perform the 'attacking' which gives them a 60% impact, and also all players will also perform the 'secondary impact' (defending) to give the attacking group some opposition, with those attributes being worked on with 20% impact, if that makes sense. Basically everyone gets a turn at attacking, and then opposing the attack, and so in terms of attributes the players will be impacted by the first focus by 60%, then the secondary focus by 20%. So the whole outfield group of players will get the Tactical Familiarity, Happiness, Team Cohesion, etc. That is my understanding of it anyway.

Thank you! 

Edited by Marcusme1981

I would think that the answer to that is yes. Thinking about it logically, both groups will be performing headers. So I'd say yes, the primary and secondary group get the heading focus whichever 'side' of the drill they are on.

Although it wouldn't be a 'double boost', as the attacking group will get 60% of the attribute focus, and the defending only 20% of it, so more like an additional bit of work on heading.

51 minutes ago, ultrAslan said:

How to train mental attributes like concentration, bravery? I spot many youth players but they lack in some mental atteibures. Will they gain over time or how to train them?

They will gain over time. You can also train them in individual training.

50 minutes ago, ultrAslan said:

How to train mental attributes like concentration, bravery? I spot many youth players but they lack in some mental atteibures. Will they gain over time or how to train them?

Most mental attributes are under tactical training sessions (general>tactical, tactical>attacking shadow play and tactical >defensive shadow play).

15 hours ago, Experienced Defender said:

Really don't know, nor have ever thought about that. If anyone should know the answer, it's @Seb Wassell :brock:

Thank you, anyway.

13 hours ago, brookie1402 said:

I would think that the answer to that is yes. Thinking about it logically, both groups will be performing headers. So I'd say yes, the primary and secondary group get the heading focus whichever 'side' of the drill they are on.

Although it wouldn't be a 'double boost', as the attacking group will get 60% of the attribute focus, and the defending only 20% of it, so more like an additional bit of work on heading.

Yeahh I know.

Thank you

Focus of Attacks?

Anyone know how they worked out? Just watching the start of a full match & they don't update with real time so it's hard to tell, but is it where balls into the box are oming from? I know it's definetley not related to shots or anyhing like that  

7 hours ago, rossenori said:

im guessing that performance bonuses have no motivational impact on a player's performance?

I think it does actually. I'm sure I remember seeing something a few years ago where a player was more motivated due to the high bonus set for a particular competition.

On 23/02/2021 at 07:30, brookie1402 said:

Given that there is no discernible difference between being natural in a position and being accomplished, does it 'cost' PA to train a player in an already accomplished position, in order to get him to being natural?

Training a player to 'natural' does not cost CA (PA is constant hence there is no cost to it) but will affect the weighing of the values of the attributes depending on the position the player is 'natural' in.

3 hours ago, zyfon5 said:

Training a player to 'natural' does not cost CA (PA is constant hence there is no cost to it) but will affect the weighing of the values of the attributes depending on the position the player is 'natural' in.

So if I have a player who is natural AMR, and accomplished MR, there will be no difference between training him as a winger on attack duty in either position?

18 minutes ago, brookie1402 said:

So if I have a player who is natural AMR, and accomplished MR, there will be no difference between training him as a winger on attack duty in either position?

Yes especially when the positions are very similar like in the case of AMR and MR. It will make more of a difference if you are training ST for example.

In a 3-5-2 with wingbacks and a flat midfield three, would I expect different movement from a MCR(MEZ-A) depending on whether the right-side WB was on defend vs. support duty? All else being equal.

My suspicion is that the Mezzala might get higher and wider in the space in front of a WB-D.

Edited by Prolix

9 minutes ago, Prolix said:

In a 3-5-2 with wingbacks and a flat midfield three, would I expect different movement from a MCR(MEZ-A) depending on whether the right-side WB was on defend vs. support duty? All else being equal.

My suspicion is that the Mezzala might get higher and wider in the space in front of a WB-D.

Given that this thread is for simple questions and answers only, all I can tell you here is that roles/duties always work in interaction with others, so one same role is likely to behave differently within different setups.

For more specific and detailed discussion, you'll need to start a separate thread topic.