Quickfire Questions and Answers Thread (Tactic and Training Questions Only)

7 minutes ago, 04texag said:

In rl this is a yes, look at sergino dest. He had played on the u20? I believe for USA and it was still up for grabs for him to decide between holland and US. Once he got a senior cap with US then he was locked out. 

So why this player in the pictures haven't got the spanish nationality yet then? Has been living in Spain for over 2 years, no Senior caps with Brazil yet... What am I missing?

• Replies 17.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, Sharkn20 said:

So why this player in the pictures haven't got the spanish nationality yet then? Has been living in Spain for over 2 years, no Senior caps with Brazil yet... What am I missing?

What do you see in Overview > Information?

I have this 20yd old newgen who's already capped at senior level, so not necessarily the same as your situation. But it shows he's declared for Colombia, maybe your guy has declared as well?

image.png.df6bdbf8d3d1156f628bde496863b1ab.png

6 hours ago, CaptCanuck said:

What do you see in Overview > Information?

I have this 20yd old newgen who's already capped at senior level, so not necessarily the same as your situation. But it shows he's declared for Colombia, maybe your guy has declared as well?

image.png.df6bdbf8d3d1156f628bde496863b1ab.png

That did it, thanks, all clear now :)

2nd nation 3.jpg

On 25/10/2020 at 18:40, sverige91 said:

How does Working with youngster work? How does this effect players? Does it make them improve their attribute quickly?

How does it effect HOYD and coaches? Does they bring better player with youth intake ? 

I don't know the exact workings behind the scenes but it causes the players to make large gains quickly.  You'll get a lot of players with the green up arrows showing rapid growth.  I consider a WWY to be more important than the coach's actual coaching stats in the U18/19 teams.   You should be looking at coaches with a minimum of 16, and preferably 18-20, for your youth team.  

I'm really not sure how WWY directly affects the intake but since your HOYD also acts as a youth team coach, it will benefit coaxing maximum growth out of the players once they enter that squad.  

Two questions, one about trait this other about general training :

1) For more defensive oriented players (DMs, FBs and CBs), when is it more suitable to have them learn the trait "Dives into Tackles" or rather "Does not Dive into Tackles" ? I guess of how is the player bravery and tackle attributes (agression too maybe ?) but maybe also where he plays on the field (a CB with Dives into Tackle would be a fine?)

eg : for this player for instance, what would are the pros and cons 

Révélation

123905291_359561838647547_5729221636884543546_n.png?_nc_cat=106&ccb=2&_nc_sid=ae9488&_nc_ohc=N-nvNyYf-hMAX-O-PUj&_nc_ht=scontent-cdt1-1.xx&oh=ec4c3331604f76ed63afcc572cf6878e&oe=5FCAE59D

2) Setting up the training session, I realized that using a match preparation (eg : Defensive Shape) seems to have an effect not only on the very next match but on the next one too if the games are close enough. Or at least that what the "match preparation" indicate. Is this a mistake and if not, does the bonus apply for both game the same way ? Or does the bonus effect of the match preparation "decay" and won't be as strong for the second game ?

Révélation

eg : after prepping for two hard games, this is the info I have in the "match preparation" field ahead of Leicester game while not setting a Def.Shape session after Chelsea game  :
123995674_833463937456535_6950903862470509743_n.png?_nc_cat=107&ccb=2&_nc_sid=ae9488&_nc_ohc=jpU8-fst6J4AX8dUJQq&_nc_ht=scontent-cdg2-1.xx&oh=1313dcf86820e5ba2cc962c01fff75bf&oe=5FC9EB3B123750094_2723332304573316_5872380665402279651_n.png?_nc_cat=108&ccb=2&_nc_sid=ae9488&_nc_ohc=5rwn_9r-b4EAX-bnnLS&_nc_ht=scontent-cdg2-1.xx&oh=4dc550e316be7bfde2a8469bbcc76de9&oe=5FCAFBC1

Maybe I should ask @Seb Wassell  concerning the second question 😳

1) For more defensive oriented players (DMs, FBs and CBs), when is it more suitable to have them learn the trait "Dives into Tackles" or rather "Does not Dive into Tackles" ? I guess of how is the player bravery and tackle attributes (agression too maybe ?) but maybe also where he plays on the field (a CB with Dives into Tackle would be a fine?)

I think these are most relevant in regard to tackling.

Cons:- Decisions 11, Tackling 14

Pros:- Aggression 18 Bravery 17

maybe also consider though how directly connected to tackling I'm not sure, Postitioning and Determination.

Sorry can't offer anything on the training side of things.

Edited by toffee71

Three questions

1)

When a PI clashes with a player trait (e.g. More Direct Passing / Plays One-Twos), what happens exactly? Do they negate each other or does one override the other?

2)

Do TIs clash with player traits (e.g. More Direct Passing / Plays One-Twos)? Do they it affect the way a player with "conflicting" traits plays vs. without?

3)

Does the player trait "Comes Deep to Get Ball" have any effect on players closer to defensive strata? The flavour text says "This increases the frequency of a forward player dropping into midfield to get possession", so I find it weird that my assman would recommend my DM picking up this trait (reason: "Strong teamwork"), as he's neither a forward nor does he venture forward.

3 hours ago, wingwangwong said:

1)

When a PI clashes with a player trait (e.g. More Direct Passing / Plays One-Twos), what happens exactly? Do they negate each other or does one override the other?

The trait takes (some degree of) precedence over the PI, but does not literally override it. 

2)

Do TIs clash with player traits (e.g. More Direct Passing / Plays One-Twos)? Do they it affect the way a player with "conflicting" traits plays vs. without?

The simplest way to look at it is this: traits > PIs > TIs. But as in the above case, none of them overrides the others, they just have different degrees of influence. 

Does the player trait "Comes Deep to Get Ball" have any effect on players closer to defensive strata? The flavour text says "This increases the frequency of a forward player dropping into midfield to get possession", so I find it weird that my assman would recommend my DM picking up this trait (reason: "Strong teamwork"), as he's neither a forward nor does he venture forward

I think it affects all players except for defenders, but not 100% sure. 

On 05/11/2020 at 21:58, Cassius said:

Think of it more as a tactical consideration than a player performance one. If you're playing a more aggressive style and your player has cover then committing himself to the tackle might be more beneficial than when he's the last man back. So a central defender on stopper might be good to dive in and win the ball knowing he has his partner backing him up, but you don't want your covering defender overcommitting himself as the last line of defence.

Every player has a balanced view as to when to tackle and when to stay on their feet and jockey. This will be somewhat affected by their aggression (more likely to commit) and their decisions (when is it a good idea to tackle). Their tackling ability itself determines their success rate. Dives in will just mean they try to win the ball back quicker, while not diving in means they'll look to hold their opponent up, stop their run and wait for support.

In your particular FB's case, his average tackling and decision making means he will be missing a fair few tackles. His high aggression means he's probably diving in more often than not anyway and I don't think I'd want to play that up even further with teaching him to dive in. Unless maybe you're playing him as an aggressive wingback with cover who is trying to win the ball back high. You could teach him not to dive in if you want to mitigate his high aggression and have him focus on getting back into defensive shape first and foremost.

Mostly I look at the trait as something to be mindful of when building and rotating a defensive unit and not something I usually focus on training.

Edited by Cal585

il y a 30 minutes, Cal585 a dit :

Think of it more as a tactical consideration than a player performance one. If you're playing a more aggressive style and your player has cover then committing himself to the tackle might be more beneficial than when he's the last man back. So a central defender on stopper might be good to dive in and win the ball knowing he has his partner backing him up, but you don't want your covering defender overcommitting himself as the last line of defence.

Every player has a balanced view as to when to tackle and when to stay on their feet and jockey. This will be somewhat affected by their aggression (more likely to commit) and their decisions (when is it a good idea to tackle). Their tackling ability itself determines their success rate. Dives in will just mean they try to win the ball back quicker, while not diving in means they'll look to hold their opponent up, stop their run and wait for support.

In your particular FB's case, his average tackling and decision making means he will be missing a fair few tackles. His high aggression means he's probably diving in more often than not anyway and I don't think I'd want to play that up even further with teaching him to dive in. Unless maybe you're playing him as an aggressive wingback with cover who is trying to win the ball back high. You could teach him not to dive in if you want to mitigate his high aggression and have him focus on getting back into defensive shape first and foremost.

Mostly I look at the trait as something to be mindful of when building and rotating a defensive unit and not something I usually focus on training.

Very insightful, cheers Cal ! 

8 minutes ago, Cassius said:

When using a DLP as DM (in a 4141 DM Wide formation), would changing the player duty from defend to support have a big impact in the team defensive stability ?

Defensive stability is affected by a lot more than one duty (or one role or one instruction and so on). So while there would be some impact, it's impossible to tell without the context how big or small it can be.

For any further discussion on this topic/question, please start a separate thread. 

il y a 35 minutes, Experienced Defender a dit :

Defensive stability is affected by a lot more than one duty (or one role or one instruction and so on). So while there would be some impact, it's impossible to tell without the context how big or small it can be.

For any further discussion on this topic/question, please start a separate thread. 

Will do, thanks ED.
Maybe I should persue with this already started topic than create a new one though ? 

Edited by Cassius
adding link to related tactic topic

13 minutes ago, Cassius said:

Maybe I should persue with this already started topic than create a new one though ?

However you want :thup: 

1 minute ago, Cassius said:

Another question : what key attribute would you look for in your assistant manager regarding setting up opposition instructions ?

I never ask the ass man to set OIs, but the attribute i would primarily look for is tactical knowledge. However, take my answer with a great pinch of salt, since it's not my area of expertise. 

@Cassius @Experienced Defender I never use OIs full stop, but I would imagine that Tactical Knowledge is the key attribute. You'd probably want to make sure their Pressing Style and Marking Style fit what you're trying to achieve. Perhaps Playing Mentality too given pressing etc. are affected. If you highlight their attribute as a Manager you can see the 'Tends To' / 'Tends Not To' section too.

For example, I currently play a 4-3-3 on an Attacking mentality with these instructions:

973921868_Screenshot2020-11-09at14_05_23.png.2dc68947edaee0817ed1c1498f5177c3.png

Attacking mentality automatically sets a high line with increase pressing. I then kick it into overdrive with Counter-PressHigher Defensive Line and Line Of EngagementMore Urgent pressing, and Prevent Short GK Distribution. So if I were to use OIs to complement this style it would probably involve something like increasing the pressing intensity on the back line, perhaps telling my players to tackle them more forcefully too. 

However, my assistant manager Marco Landucci has these preferences:

934435520_Screenshot2020-11-09at14_09_11.png.5f5a81facd777f3f2a42db0bd61b539c.png

He doesn't have any tendencies, but I can guess from this that between the Cautious mentality and Less Urgent pressing style he's probably going to counter-act my TIs by telling players to back off. His Mixed Marking Style might even lead to him deciding to man mark some players and whilst I have defenders capable of doing that it's not how we play. It'll be a mess. 

If I were to delegate more tactical responsibilities to my Assistant, my ideal candidate would probably look like this:

1668549401_Screenshot2020-11-09at14_20_24.png.d1b8e9c00020c7b7e86d7756bb0f67c3.png

Same mentality, pressing, and marking style...

95513243_Screenshot2020-11-09at14_18_56.png.fe99be5fdc3323f5f31eba8374d3f276.png

His tendencies here will still fit with my style: intense pressing and counter-pressing are the main ones I'm referring to.

Now of course this is all just theory, and that 'ideal candidate' is actually Vincenzo Montella crossed with Jürgen Klopp, but hopefully showing how I think about it can help you.

@rtnn Sorry mate, but your question requires a separate thread (topic). This one is exclusively for short and quick questions and answers. Yours is definitely not such, so I had to remove it from this thread.

Start your own separate thread and you'll get proper advice there :thup:

Posted on the beta feedback thread but thought I’d try here to :brock:

Has the option to train weaker foot been removed the technique traits?

I can only see option to avoid using weaker foot now.

and also can’t see the movement option for 1-2s

Edited by Fritz13

This relates to either FM 20 or 21,

My observational skills aren't that great so does anyone have an answer,

When your team has an attacking set piece, does a "Stay back has needed" player who is going forward have the same approach to a set piece as if they were set to a "go forward" position.

I'm looking for things like  do they take the same positions? Do they retreat defensively quicker? Do they attack the ball in the same way? that sort of thing.

Not a question, more of a tip/hypothesis; 

Contrary to the ME in FM20, FM21's ME demands more for a player to succesfully function as a playmaker in a team without being a liability. 

In FM20, it felt like I could slap DLP(s) on anyone, and they'd churn out 4-7 Key Passes and 1-3 Chances Created every game - as if they'd suddenly turned into Xabi Alonso. They almost never lost the ball, and pinged 50 yard passes with no issue. 
In FM21, this does not seem to be the case at all. More stray passes, being caught in possession more often, and most importantly - they drag the tempo down more often. Combining that with your players actively looking for the playmakers, you've got yourself a recipe for disaster if your use of a playmaker isn't justified. 

I can't back this up with substantiated data. This is just my observation from 1.5 season on the FM21 beta. Feel free to chime in and/or try it out for yourself - would love to get some more data on this.

I think that makes sense when you consider the improvements to decision making and how that manifests defensively. e.g. In FM 20, pressing was largely headless chickens running after the ball but now players press more intelligently and shut down passing lanes, which'll force the player on the ball into making lower percentage passes. And defenders are more willing to challenge longballs aerially now too so..

I haven't played enough personally to work out if the improvements are as good as they seem on paper though.

34 minutes ago, NotSoSpecialOne said:

I think that makes sense when you consider the improvements to decision making and how that manifests defensively. e.g. In FM 20, pressing was largely headless chickens running after the ball but now players press more intelligently and shut down passing lanes, which'll force the player on the ball into making lower percentage passes. And defenders are more willing to challenge longballs aerially now too so..

I haven't played enough personally to work out if the improvements are as good as they seem on paper though.

This resonates with what I've been seeing in game. Playmakers struggling to find their intended outlets. Considering how the moniker 'Playmaker' is usually reserved to the a certain echelon of players IRL as opposed to in FM, it seems like the ME might be inching closer to that as well. 
IRL, a playmaker is normally significantly better at recyling possession and picking out killer passes than everyone else on their team. That's why they're fed the ball more often than average. If my observations end up being true, we might actually have a good aproximation of that on our hands. :)

I have managed to completely eff up my Tactic Selection screen :seagull:

the default showed all of the players in position order eg GKs then DCs etc.

once players were picked then they would show above in their role I.e SWK-A, then BPD, etc.

the unpicked players below would continue to show in position order below

now I’ve mucked it up by adding columns and the unpicked players show in a random order and if you sort by position then the Position/Role/Duty column is then mixed up

so the default would show any unpicked keepers first in the list but now it’s random as you can see so Gigi W shows first

AEA1B92C-666B-4874-B7B5-60173442D007.jpeg

53 minutes ago, 04texag said:

Maybe just revert back to default. But i would post this in the UI bugs thread

To be honest it happened last year so my own fault :brock:

how can I restore default?
tried deleting current view but that didn’t work ..... not a game breaker but maybe mildly irritating

11 minutes ago, Fritz13 said:

To be honest it happened last year so my own fault :brock:

how can I restore default?
tried deleting current view but that didn’t work ..... not a game breaker but maybe mildly irritating

Should be the following: Click the dropdown and select selection info screen.

image.png.4986136d643ced1a5d27b4b6fa830e32.png

54 minutes ago, LucasBR said:

What's the best way to play/defend against two strikers tactics? It's always a nightmare for my defenders when playing against two mans upfront.

I fear that there is no simple answer to your question (apart from potential speculation, which is always misleading), so I had to remove your post from this thread. 

If you want proper advice, start your own separate topic with a screenshot of your tactic included there. 

FM21 related.

I am conceding a lot of goals from ball over the top. I play higher DL, offside trap, force opposition outside and tight marking. My two CB-s(playing 433 DM) are fast and whenever I play against a faster attacker, he just escapes them and usually scores.

What to do here? To remove offside trap or lower the DL or just mark the attacker?

On 19/11/2020 at 08:01, Bakiano said:

FM21 related.

I am conceding a lot of goals from ball over the top. I play higher DL, offside trap, force opposition outside and tight marking. My two CB-s(playing 433 DM) are fast and whenever I play against a faster attacker, he just escapes them and usually scores.

What to do here? To remove offside trap or lower the DL or just mark the attacker?

Yes I’ve seen this too when using the same tactic as FM20

I'm scoring 3-4 per game so it’s risk versus reward for me but I’m definitely keeping less clean sheets this year.

I had wondered whether to change my defend setting to either wide or narrow as I use the default currently but as it sometimes balls over the top through the middle and also over the top out wide that result in a goal I’m not sure whether to simply accept that’s it’s a byproduct of my tactic as I play my IWBs in the DM strata.

Edited by Fritz13

On 19/11/2020 at 08:01, Bakiano said:

FM21 related.

I see that being pretty normal, if you don´t want balls over the top of the defense, get that DL lower and the offside trap off. Or be ready to finish games 4-2, 5-3, 2-5 and the likes. Aggressive football leads to aggressive results. 

Hi folks,

Does anyone know how long match preparation actually lasts? The tooltip says "upcoming/next match", however if I have a game on both a Wednesday and Saturday, and then add Att. Movement (for example) to my schedule for the Monday/Tuesday sessions, the training overview page says that the Att. Movement match preparation is still active for the Saturday game. I was wondering if this actually applied to "games that week". I've tried having a google around this, but I'm yet to find anything that says different to the in game tooltip.

4 minutes ago, mattgoth said:

Hi folks,

Does anyone know how long match preparation actually lasts? The tooltip says "upcoming/next match", however if I have a game on both a Wednesday and Saturday, and then add Att. Movement (for example) to my schedule for the Monday/Tuesday sessions, the training overview page says that the Att. Movement match preparation is still active for the Saturday game. I was wondering if this actually applied to "games that week". I've tried having a google around this, but I'm yet to find anything that says different to the in game tooltip.

It only affects the upcoming match. No matches after. So if you have it scheduled for Monday, but a match on Wednesday and Saturday, it only has an effect the Wednesday.

1 minute ago, HUNT3R said:

It only affects the upcoming match. No matches after. So if you have it scheduled for Monday, but a match on Wednesday and Saturday, it only has an effect the Wednesday.

Thank you for confirming :) I felt like I've asked a daft question when the answers in game, but I'm sure I've seen the match preparation categories linger around in the overview screen for a couple of games.

HI all!

FM21 Question.

I'm playing as Liverpool and getting some great xG numbers. I'm dominating the opponent with really high xG BUT I'm not converting the chances. Is there something I can do instruction wise or in training to help me convert more chances?

Thanks in advance!

14 minutes ago, mattgoth said:

Thank you for confirming :) I felt like I've asked a daft question when the answers in game, but I'm sure I've seen the match preparation categories linger around in the overview screen for a couple of games.

No worries. It's a reasonable question as the UI doesn't help the case.

1 minute ago, joekim87 said:

HI all!

FM21 Question.

I'm playing as Liverpool and getting some great xG numbers. I'm dominating the opponent with really high xG BUT I'm not converting the chances. Is there something I can do instruction wise or in training to help me convert more chances?

Thanks in advance!

You're better off starting a thread. This thread is for quickfire questions answers and this isn't one. When you do, provide all the info you can, including how you set up tactically and what exactly the issues are.

35 minutes ago, Spartak Trigger said:

Would adding the "moves into channels" ppm work with a player who had the "plays with back to goal" ppm?

Thanks in advance

I could see this working quite well for a F9 or DLF-s, who you want to drop back into space, collect the ball and then play someone else in on goal.

4 hours ago, Sharkn20 said:

FM21 questions,

Is it anywhere I can watch the average formations and roles of the opposite players during the match, before the half time?

I am still on FM20, but if I correctly understood Rashidi's most recent videos about FM21 - it seems to be no longer available. May anyone correct me if I am wrong. 

@Rashidi