Run at the defence?

i was looking at this guide http://www.fm-britain.co.uk/2009/11/04/touchline-instructions/

and was wondering since we have new shouts during the match can someone please tell me the pros and cons of run at defence?

and how is it so different to play through defence? i know you must have good players like Barca to have your team play through defence but i don't understand the difference.

hope you can help.

One more question if possible?

I play with a 4-4-2 formation with an advanced playmaker support, would i be taking anything away from his game if i have clear ball to flanks? hence there would be more come from my wingers than my playmaker in the middle.

Pros & cons of run at/play through defence:

When setting up my tactics for the match I look at the pace/accel atts of the oppo DCs. If they are slower than my forwards, I'll shout 'play through'. A through pass behind them and a forward will be onto it and one-on-one with the keeper. I get a lot of goals this way. However, if the defenders are quicker, or they play deep, and your forwards have dribbling skills, 'play through' might unlock the door.

Post #3 - a little bit, yes. The playmaker will see less of the ball; however the wide men might cut in and pass to him in a more dangerous area - best to watch the match closely and see how your shouts are playing out.

When setting up my tactics for the match I look at the pace/accel atts of the oppo DCs. If they are slower than my forwards, I'll shout 'play through'. A through pass behind them and a forward will be onto it and one-on-one with the keeper. I get a lot of goals this way. However, if the defenders are quicker, or they play deep, and your forwards have dribbling skills, 'play through' might unlock the door.

Post #3 - a little bit, yes. The playmaker will see less of the ball; however the wide men might cut in and pass to him in a more dangerous area - best to watch the match closely and see how your shouts are playing out.

Thanks mate, that made alot of sense

thanks for taking time out for the reply fella :)

You mean run through there? Pretty much how i use it. A Silva/Modric like playmaker with a quick forward can cause all sorts of problems here

From the manual;

Run At Defence

Instruct players to run at the opposition more than your tactics allow by default.

Play Through Defence

Instructs players to play their way through an opposition’s

http://www.footballmanager.com/webmanual/fm2012/14.3.

And From wwfan

2: Run at Defence

3: Play through Defence

Roughly (it's been a while):

2: Increases dribbling a notch in the top two strata and/or most advanced wide player

3: Decreases dribbling a notch in the top two strata and/or most advanced wide player

From the manual;

And From wwfan

2: Increases dribbling a notch in the top two strata and/or most advanced wide player

3: Decreases dribbling a notch in the top two strata and/or most advanced wide player

does that mean.

2.sometimes to often

3.often to sometimes

I don't understand what exactly changes in my tactics if i use shout Play Through Defence. Can someone explain?

I'm playing with a lone poacher and my wingers are set as inside forwards and i want them to run through defence as well, but i'm interested what this actually changes in my tactics and i would like to know if there is any shout that i couldn't normally adjust through tactics, but i have to use the shout instead?

I don't understand what exactly changes in my tactics if i use shout Play Through Defence. Can someone explain?

I'm playing with a lone poacher and my wingers are set as inside forwards and i want them to run through defence as well, but i'm interested what this actually changes in my tactics and i would like to know if there is any shout that i couldn't normally adjust through tactics, but i have to use the shout instead?

There isn't.

Play through defence means that any strikers or attacking midfielders you use will dribble less, as will your most advanced wide player.

From the manual;

And From wwfan

thanks for the link.

Oh, yeah. I'm stupid. All other shouts were pretty easy to figure out.

I want my ml/mr (i'm playing with 4-4-1-1) and i want my ml/mr to act like messi, or pedro. Sometimes to cut in and through ball the striker, but sometimes just run at the defense and get behind them to get on the end of a through ball. Any suggestions? Now i have them set like this:

fwr: often

rwb: often

ls: mixed

:through balls: often

: crossing mixed (from mixed)

free roll on

a lot of creative freadom and attacking mentality

Archived