Mr Hough's Swarm Tactic FM2012

Quick update from my Roma save. Got so far so good untill january, from there on a semi disaster (which in part i could expect since AI kicks in at mid season). Got overwhelmed on chances, i stopped scoring and started to loose against less strong teams. It helped a lot the tweak the guy posted using Bayern. MCR to DMR, MCL stays there but both players without back arrows. Like that its still not that stable but at least i fighted back. In my opinion when i was playing with the two MC's as DMC's i saw to much space from the midfield and the rest of the players upfront, whilst in possesion and without ball. As to now i am not getting the same results as your previous tactics before fm2012.

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have reverted back to my Very Fluid tactic, i have moved the wingers in to the MR and ML position so they give the fullbacks so cover and seems to have helped, The tactic is now a flat 4-4-2 I'm playing as Norwich and so far in friendlys i have had results like 5-1 against cardiff, and 10-0 and 8-0 against lower league opposition

Quick update from my Roma save. Got so far so good untill january, from there on a semi disaster (which in part i could expect since AI kicks in at mid season). Got overwhelmed on chances, i stopped scoring and started to loose against less strong teams. It helped a lot the tweak the guy posted using Bayern. MCR to DMR, MCL stays there but both players without back arrows. Like that its still not that stable but at least i fighted back. In my opinion when i was playing with the two MC's as DMC's i saw to much space from the midfield and the rest of the players upfront, whilst in possesion and without ball. As to now i am not getting the same results as your previous tactics before fm2012.

After about 6 months, the AI works out your tactic. This is why it's very usefull to rotate tactics, using this against strong opposition, and another against weaker opposition. Thats IMO anyway.

I have reverted back to my Very Fluid tactic, i have moved the wingers in to the MR and ML position so they give the fullbacks so cover and seems to have helped, The tactic is now a flat 4-4-2 I'm playing as Norwich and so far in friendlys i have had results like 5-1 against cardiff, and 10-0 and 8-0 against lower league opposition

Mr Hough, a flat 4-4-2? What is this madness?!

Only kidding mate, I'm a huge fan of the flat 4-4-2 so it'll be interesting to see your take on it.

oops, sorry hough, i hadn't refreshed when i posted that.

Very interested in this flat 442...im pretty sure that was the formation of your winger tactic from fm 10?! anyway, i know your still cracking on with the testing phase but do you have any idea when you will release?

Big question, when can we get our grubby hands on this please :)

After about 6 months, the AI works out your tactic. This is why it's very usefull to rotate tactics, using this against strong opposition, and another against weaker opposition. Thats IMO anyway.

No doubt about that. Infact i wrote "which in part i could expect".....Mine was just a report on the testing on how it was going :) I would like to know from Hough if his flat 442 can be done just by dragging the two wingers back and if that is the case if we keep the arrows like in the original.

No doubt about that. Infact i wrote "which in part i could expect".....Mine was just a report on the testing on how it was going :) I would like to know from Hough if his flat 442 can be done just by dragging the two wingers back and if that is the case if we keep the arrows like in the original.

Nope i don't think he is. He has reverted back to the fluid philosophy which he started with. I think this affects the mentality and freedom of the players...therefore it is not as simple as dragging back players into position.

going well so far wih Norwich, Siting top after 2 games with a 3-1 win over Villa and a 4-0 win at Q.P.R, Attacking is brilliant, I'm just looking at other things now as i don't wanna have any problems when i release this one.

Thats what i hate about this game hehe. Is it enough to switch between using 2 CMs and 2 DMs? Or does it have to be 2 totally different tactics?

Thats what i hate about this game hehe. Is it enough to switch between using 2 CMs and 2 DMs? Or does it have to be 2 totally different tactics?

It's realistic though, because if a manager IRL used the exact same tactic year in, year out, the opposition would know exactly what to expect and look to counter it all the time. Every tactic has a weakness and although some take longer to crack, there is always a solution at some point.

As for switching the CM's to avoid the opposition working out your tactic, it may work sometimes, but I would rather use a totally different tactic and style of play, just because it takes the opposition by suprise and creates confusion. It also keeps the other tactic fresh, because they don't know what to expect.

Hough, if you'd actually like to swap notes and develop something together I'd be more than happy to help, I'm not very possessive of my tactics :)

Glad to see you're already using my wingers tip from your last thread ;)

I'm still of the belief that as soon as you switch to classic that you lose the fluid/rigid from the creator and it reverts automatically to a standard setup....would be interesting to hear from SI on this?

EDIT: I'm currently playing with a back 3 of all things, it's interesting to say the least!

After my Nec game, I had a boring game really 5 games played 4 draw, 1 win. I thought it was time to be a Spanish club, and I went for Sevilla. First League game against Malaga, ended in 6-2. I had 1 player sent off in the 12th minute, and I was 2-0 up then, changed it around then. 6-2 is amazing, I cannot wait to play Real Madrid and Barcelona.

athleticu.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I think, good job Dave.

Very good tactic in attack, not bad in defence. With such average team like Bilbao, i've finished 3rd in La Liga and became Europa League finalist.

I have used 3 versions of Swarm Tactic. 2 MC against weak teams e.g. Osasuna, Mallorca, R. Sociedad, MC + DMC against rivals with close odds e.g. Atletico Madrid, Sevilla at home, and 2 DMC against Big Two or against Valencia, Sevilla away.

Perhaps usefulness of 3 variants (2MC, MC+DM, 2DM) also depends on the tactic used by AI. Has anyone checked this already ? :)

really am finding this hit and miss, even after 3 months using it. sometimes no matter what i do with the midfielders i get over run, even at home to poor teams, the defending is really poor. my everton team is this

howard

vrsjako, jagielka, distin/heitinga, baines

johnson, rodwell/carrick, fellaini, neaves

wilfried, dos santos

athleticu.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I think, good job Dave.

Very good tactic in attack, not bad in defence. With such average team like Bilbao, i've finished 3rd in La Liga and became Europa League finalist.

I have used 3 versions of Swarm Tactic. 2 MC against weak teams e.g. Osasuna, Mallorca, R. Sociedad, MC + DMC against rivals with close odds e.g. Atletico Madrid, Sevilla at home, and 2 DMC against Big Two or against Valencia, Sevilla away.

Perhaps usefulness of 3 variants (2MC, MC+DM, 2DM) also depends on the tactic used by AI. Has anyone checked this already ? :)

thats very impressive mate. did you change anything when playing stronger teams?

I don't know if I'm just being dumb but I can't find a way on FM to see what roles each player has.

Do I want wingers or inside forwards?

What role do the two CM's play (playmaker, b2b, ball-winner, etc?)?

What roles are the two forwards? Can I play with a target man/link-up type striker alongside a goalscorer? Does it matter which side they're on?

Massive thanks of course, really appreciate the effort you put in. :)

This tactic has been brilliant so far. Yeah it takes a bit of dancing around in the midfield with 1cm 1dm so far to be my personal favorite. Also although six months or a year in the AI figures you out, by then most of the time my squad plays so well together and i have brought such players in that most competition is not as hard as when you start up, besides we all know that the AI is horrible at transfers.

P.S. Anyone could tell me of any decent way to defend set pieces and score from corners i seem to be geting scored consistently from corners and free kicks, and rarely score anymore.

thats very impressive mate. did you change anything when playing stronger teams?

Hmm, as i said before, i've used version with two defensive midfielders. When i was losing, changing to DMC+MC version. I cannot say it's a best option, but i think it is the most rational. Maybe Dave has a different opinion of this matter.

Although i've had some good results with this tactic my strikers and midfielders seem incapable of scoring simple chances - most of them end up over the stand behind the goal! Is this a training issue or just that the players aren't good enough or is it the tactics? Is anyone else having this issue?

In the first few games I saw some brilliant football between my wingers and strikers however as each week goes by this seems to be less effective and I now find a lot of misplaced passes from defenders and midfielders. On the other hand, my strikers do seem to be able to run the length of the pitch with the ball with these tactics, just a shame they can't finish it at the end!

Thanks again Mr Hough, I look forward to trying your more attacking version.

P.S. Anyone could tell me of any decent way to defend set pieces and score from corners i seem to be geting scored consistently from corners and free kicks, and rarely score anymore.

Everyone back, you lose a little counter-attacking initiative, but i had to do it for my tactic, defend on mass is the only sure fire way!

old corner trick works but kinda like cheating, best header near post, two full backs stay back, and everyone else lurk, corner aim near post, works a charm. But this is a huge bug continued into 2012

It doesn't let you set everyone to Lurk Outside Area. Unless I'm missing another way? Will setting everyone to stay back have the same effect?

It doesn't let you set everyone to Lurk Outside Area. Unless I'm missing another way? Will setting everyone to stay back have the same effect?

It does, go to squad screen, then tactics, set pieces. Now just below that is a drop down with an eye icon, select set pices from that and now you should have the squad list with all their roles assigned. You are free to change them to whatever you like there. Have fun!

It does, go to squad screen, then tactics, set pieces. Now just below that is a drop down with an eye icon, select set pices from that and now you should have the squad list with all their roles assigned. You are free to change them to whatever you like there. Have fun!

Thanks McAvennie, I will give that a go. I thought it would be something I couldn't find. The wizard for set pieces doesn't allow it! Not suprising really!

It's realistic though, because if a manager IRL used the exact same tactic year in, year out, the opposition would know exactly what to expect and look to counter it all the time. Every tactic has a weakness and although some take longer to crack, there is always a solution at some point.

As for switching the CM's to avoid the opposition working out your tactic, it may work sometimes, but I would rather use a totally different tactic and style of play, just because it takes the opposition by suprise and creates confusion. It also keeps the other tactic fresh, because they don't know what to expect.

Sure it is realistic, but sometimes its hard to find a good tactic, not to mention finding two :)

But how am i suppose to get 2 tactics running fluid? Every time i change a tactic from backup to starting it drops in familiarity, so its basically impossible to get them running fluid. Or does it just take a lot of time? Im using two tactics, one home and one away and ive played about 2/3 of a PL season. When i change tactics i drops from fluid to accomplished on every bar..

What a truly fantastic tactic Mr Hough, the use of Mr is out of respect for an outstanding tactic. I'm Blackburn and only signed Carlton Cole, James McFadden(free), Kayal & Cork. I'm in Mar and find myself in 3rd spot, yes!! 3rd spot, beating Man U 2-1, City 2-0, Chelsea 3-2 and Arsenal 3-1 on the way. I use the 2 DM's and in the games I mention I also changed to 2 CM's just after half time. Quality mate, Quality!!

Best One Yet, I have tried and failed many times at my own tactics. Its good to have people like yourself who can take the time to share help and advice.

P.S. Give the man a job

Many Thanks

ChAnCeR

It wont make everyone lurk anyway so just set 1 to lurk and the rest to go forward as its exactly the same thing in the ME.

No disrespect as I know you've contributed a lot to these forums with your tactics, Mr H, but I'd really like to see a tactic without the corner cheat as I think it covers for tactic inadequacies.

I tried this tactic out for a bit and it was okay. It seems like the major problem with it is the MC/DM postions, it just seems to get over run sometimes. Maybe dropping a striker into MC position may help so I'm going to have a mess around with it.

I'll let you know how it goes.

No disrespect as I know you've contributed a lot to these forums with your tactics, Mr H, but I'd really like to see a tactic without the corner cheat as I think it covers for tactic inadequacies.

I tried this tactic out for a bit and it was okay. It seems like the major problem with it is the MC/DM postions, it just seems to get over run sometimes. Maybe dropping a striker into MC position may help so I'm going to have a mess around with it.

I'll let you know how it goes.

I appreciate everyones comments good or bad, I am struggling with somwthing though, Why do you think i use corner cheats, I clearly don't i use a near post set up but not the near post set up with everyone lurking outside the box which is a well known bug from FM11, Just a simple near post flick header really nothing more

Have to say so far I am fairly impressed with your tactic, its very similar to ildevisto or whatever it was called and similar to my own tactic from last year that got me lots of success, my same tactic was working very well on this version too but I always look to see if can improve on it and I have to say last year you failed to do that as I didnt rate your tactics that much in the last edition of FM but this one is going very well so far, better than my own in fact!

I am in season one with Derby County and although I feel I have a very good squad I have put together spending around 6 million on it the tactic is working great. Something I will say is that people should give it time because my first 5 games I got 2 draws 2 losses and 1 win but since then I have won 34 games and drew 1 and sit nearly 30 points clear with just a few games to go. I have not changed the mcs to dms and find I dont have a problem being overun and if the team is not doing the biz then I find if I change to max width and tempo we usually **** the 2nd half.

Next season in the prem will be the real test as I wont have one of the best teams in the league. I shall keep ou posted.

PS. Jan Chramosta a striker I signed in january has scored 20 goals in 14 games as the right striker.

I appreciate everyones comments good or bad, I am struggling with somwthing though, Why do you think i use corner cheats, I clearly don't i use a near post set up but not the near post set up with everyone lurking outside the box which is a well known bug from FM11, Just a simple near post flick header really nothing more

From my experience it makes no difference if you have 8 players outside the box or not, if you cross to the near post and have a good, strong headerer of the ball there you can score an unrealistic amount of goals and can quite often have a center back out scoring strikers.

I guess you don't consider it cheating, and that's fair enough as it's your opinion, but I find it's almost a fail safe, plan b, when things aren't going very well on the pitch. Would you not agree?

Oh yeah, I played my first game with two CM's and one DM (amongst some other tweaks) with pretty good results. Obviously it's still very early days though.

From my experience it makes no difference if you have 8 players outside the box or not, if you cross to the near post and have a good, strong headerer of the ball there you can score an unrealistic amount of goals and can quite often have a center back out scoring strikers.

I guess you don't consider it cheating, and that's fair enough as it's your opinion, but I find it's almost a fail safe, plan b, when things aren't going very well on the pitch. Would you not agree?

Oh yeah, I played my first game with two CM's and one DM (amongst some other tweaks) with pretty good results. Obviously it's still very early days though.

i personally think that scoring a fair amount of goals from a corner makes up for them chances you know the COMPUTER would have scored against you. because there just more clinical than you are even tho u have the best. but meh who cares i wanna win not just by corners. and can i add that i played a full season with his tactic and i didnt score more than 5 goals from the "corner bug"

i personally think that scoring a fair amount of goals from a corner makes up for them chances you know the COMPUTER would have scored against you. because there just more clinical than you are even tho u have the best. but meh who cares i wanna win not just by corners. and can i add that i played a full season with his tactic and i didnt score more than 5 goals from the "corner bug"

Your theories are wrong. 100% wrong. The ME doesn't know which set of numbers it takes in are from you, or the AI.

Just knocked out Liverpool away in the FA Cup QF and now knocked out a full strength Chelsea in the semi final and I was down to 10 men after 42 minutes when Wome got sent off for the 5th time this season. Here are some screenshots of my team etc.

neyqoi.jpg

Better team over 90 minutes with only 10 men for half the match.

zsps3t.png

Liverpool Result in replay at Anfield.

5bvcqe.png

Arsenal in the final who are all but certain of a champions league place so looks like ill qualify for european football in my first season.

it looks amazing.its Mr.Houghs tactic or your own?what league?

This is with Mr Houghs with no tweaks at all, only thing I do is in some games if I am struggling is that I change the width and tempo to max just to change the pace of the game.

I am in season 1 playing in the championship, I am 21 points clear after 43 games 36 won 5 drawn 2 lost and I am 38 games unbeaten in the league.

Signed some very good players in January though.

My first 11 is...

Frank Fielding

John Brayford

Leandro Gioda 60k

Matthew Lowton 550k

Pierre Wome Free

Miles Addison

Bressan 900k

Lomana Lua Lua Free

Zezinho Free

Jan Chramosta 3 million

Mushaga Bakenga Free

Lowton, Zezinho, Chramosta and Bakenga all came in January and I also signed Gioda, Mouche, Kovacevic, Torassa, Quintero, Lua Lua, Bressan, Wome, Letsholonyane and Stozicky at the start of the game so a pretty strong squad for this league.

This is with Mr Houghs with no tweaks at all, only thing I do is in some games if I am struggling is that I change the width and tempo to max just to change the pace of the game.

I am in season 1 playing in the championship, I am 21 points clear after 43 games 36 won 5 drawn 2 lost and I am 38 games unbeaten in the league.

Signed some very good players in January though.

My first 11 is...

Frank Fielding

John Brayford

Leandro Gioda 60k

Matthew Lowton 550k

Pierre Wome Free

Miles Addison

Bressan 900k

Lomana Lua Lua Free

Zezinho Free

Jan Chramosta 3 million

Mushaga Bakenga Free

Lowton, Zezinho, Chramosta and Bakenga all came in January and I also signed Gioda, Mouche, Kovacevic, Torassa, Quintero, Lua Lua, Bressan, Wome, Letsholonyane and Stozicky at the start of the game so a pretty strong squad for this league.

So no tweaks, with 2 mc's? standard pitchsize? only tweak you make is during the game, tempo en width to max........??

thanks.

So no tweaks, with 2 mc's? standard pitchsize? only tweak you make is during the game, tempo en width to max........??

thanks.

Yep 2 mc's left one an attacking type and the right one a more defensive type, pitch is standard size and my right striker is my main scorer. If I am 0-0 or losing at half time I tend to bump up the tempo and width but its not often I need to do that. I would just make sure you have 2 pacy strikers and wingers as since I signed Chramosta with 18 pace and 18 acc the 2 goal wins have become 3, 4 or even 5 goal wins.

Archived