So not only did Ashley Cole randomely retire in my 1st season but also.....

A 6 foot defender scoring is headers is pretty believable.

Scoring headers yes... scoring 20 goals per season NO.

FM2011 had this problem... FM2012 still have the same problem... it's very easy for a player with good attributes in heading and jumping to score goals from corners.

A good defender like Terry, Pepe, Luisão scores 5 or 6 goals in a good season! May scores 10 goals in a exceptional season.

I'm in my first season, playing with Benfica... i'm still in early September and Luisão already scores 5 goals (all from corner). I know, by the end of the season he will scores 20 or 25 goals. And next season more 20 or 25 goals, and the next, and the next!

It's not real, this never happens irl.

I know SI says that their stats says that the amount of goals from corners are the same as in real life, but the truth is, for human managers it's easy to score from corner kicks... dispite the setup we use (near post, far post, mixed...).

Something should be done about this.

510 Appearances 42 Goals

17 goals in one season is pretty unlikely.

Materazzi holds the record for most goals for a Defender, 12 in one season for Perugia.

Where I think in the Prem it's most likely that a defender will get a max of about 6 goals. But not 17.

I've never known ANY defender in real life to score 17 headed goals from corners in 1 season. At the most 8-10 maybe but even that is rare.

Ashley Cole broke his leg and announced he was retiring at the end of the season. Again that just would not happen !!

As i say, great game just a few things happening that just aren't realistic. I got kind of bored of seeing the inevitable near post headed goal by Terry. Also as i didn't start him every game it would have been more because Alex who replaced him got about 5 !!

I'm assuming you're managing Chelsea and changed the set piece settings? The corner routines have long been prone to this kind of exploits, which are very easy to find, accidentally even. If it's the AI doing it or Terry scoring tons with the default settings, then something's even more wrong.

I had to force myself to use the default corner routine in FM11 otherwise it was way too easy, unrealistic, and felt like cheating.

Ashley Cole broke his leg and announced he was retiring at the end of the season. Again that just would not happen !!

The only unrealistic thing about that is that he didn't retire almost immediately. A broken leg is one of the most serious injuries a footballer can get, and depending on the type of break, full recovery could be years. I'm not saying all leg breaks are career enders but I can only think of a handful of injuries that pose more of a threat to a footballers career.

I am 2nd in league with 3 games remaining, I am away to Chelsea ( Liverpool )

John Terry scored 89 mins header 1 - 0 to Chelsea. Grrr!!!

Lost in semi final of FA cup playing better away than home on my first season save, one more win then I'm in CL

The corner goals are indeed a bit exaggerated, I can score around 15 goals per season with Phil Jagielka ('11 and '12).

For the Injury, it happens, see Hargreaves, he didn't really retired, but it felt like he did. Another example is Pedro Mantorras, a hot prospect from Benfica, a serious knee injury ended his young career at the age of 21, after only playing 10 games for the club.

For a player for whom fitness and athleticism is an enormous part of his game and who is 31 at the end of the season, I am not surprised he chose to retire. I struggle to think of a player who has had a bad broken leg that has come back to be the player they were; Eduardo, Alan Smith, and retro ones like luc nilis and david buust. Hopefully Aaron Ramsey will come back as good.

Horrible luck and an unpleasant way to end a great career, but certainly not an unrealistic decision on Cole's part.

Yeah but 17 from a defender? not likely.

iirc Steve Bruce once managed 20 goals in a season at Norwich.

Are you managing Chelsea & exploiting the corner bug?

Edit: I did not recall correctly, it was 19 goals in the 90/91 season at Man Utd & he scored 113 senior career gaols. How did we survive before Wiki?

Frank Lampard retired after first season in my save due to being out for eight months with a cruciate ligament injury.

Bad times.

I would consider this more realistic than the Ashley Cole (and other examples) seeing as he'll be 33/34 and out for 8 months from a serious injury. The others do seem a bit more far-fetched.

Depends entirely on the severity of the break - although it seems peculiar that he'd announce plans to retire at the end of the season rather than with immediate effect.

If it was a career ender (which a bad break can be) it would have been more realistic for the game to have him out injured and then maybe a few weeks/months later a news item appearing to say that he'd broken down again in physiotherapy/training or the leg wasn't responding well enough to treatment and as such he'd decided to retire.

*removes LLM hat*

I'm using a fairly realistic corner routine, forwards attack near & far posts, big lump stands on keeper, show-pony lurks outside the area, the rest attack from deep & the taker does not get specific instructions on where to aim his delivery.

So far (4th Dec) we have scored 4 goals from corners & generally we'll get a around a dozen or so a season, for me there is no need to sacrifice realism.

When Ashley Cole finally did officially retire, he was just a few weeks away from being able to train again !! (he was out for estimated 6 months total!)

I just found it very strange as i've never known a footballer at that level to have a first serious injury and then announce retirement the next day !!

Archived