Off Topic Thread: Hey lurkers, post ffs!!

Purefun

The problem for me is that I can't post much in GPTG when playing a journeyman save unless there is a teamthread about a team I have under my management.

Maybe start a sort of journey thread in here? For everyone?

Or be more relaxed and allow people to create a team thread that is relevant to their own games. To be fair team threads are only relevant for the first season of a game anyway and are a bit restrictive and 'old'. People only use the team threads to share their own experiences and don't really care for the opening posts after they've started a game.

You can have a set of guide lines wrote up so people know the rules. Anyone who doesn't put much effort in you can redirect them to the career update forum as that's what that is for. But for people who like writing and been really detailed about their squad and players, then they should be encouraged to post more in here.

I was talking with Acidburn the other day and he would have done a team thread but because its not for a popular team any work he did on it would be wasted. Where as the above would allow him to do one and make it more about his players and team regardless of if he stays 1 season or 10 seasons and moves on.

• Replies 24.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRL88

• tomtuck01

• Cleon

• Nottingham Forest

Top Posters In This Topic

I felt very much like that when I did the Torquay thread for FM10 I think it was.

I've done it in tactics forum before made a detailed thread and no-one posted in it etc. Puts you off creating another or to keep updating.

have to agree, the rigidity of everything being in its team thread or being closed, despite the content of the post having very little to do with the team is restrictive and a little stale.

I obviously see why it is done and obviously some structure needs to be in place, but the forums have basically grinded to a halt and only really come alive for the first few months when a new game is out.. then it's dead.

have to agree, the rigidity of everything being in its team thread or being closed, despite the content of the post having very little to do with the team is restrictive and a little stale.

I obviously see why it is done and obviously some structure needs to be in place, but the forums have basically grinded to a halt and only really come alive for the first few months when a new game is out.. then it's dead.

In the tactics forum when people used to post about players etc they used to be closed too. But over time we changed it and its quite relaxed at what you are allowed to post now. As long as the content is good and as some connection with the tactical side of the game then it's allowed to be posted there. It's more of a strategy forum rather than tactic one these days.

I'm sure we could get a sub forum in here for journo threads if they proved popular.

But in that case I could/will have hundreds of threads about Liverpool and such....

What is the point in that?

Or ?

No as the top teams can stay in the threads they are. But for the none popular teams a journey thread would be ideal. You'd still have team threads but you'd also be encouraging new users to post who might play with these types of teams.

I believe that would become rather messy to be honest and it would annoy the hell out of me just looking at it. I think the team guide threads are a good idea for people who want to post in there and/or ask for advice, but for the more seasoned veteran's who dont really ask for advice, then a 'GPTG Journeymen Thread' would be a good idea for those who play the game that way. The people who want to stick to a one club save can just continue to post in the team thread and continue to ask or offer advice.

No as the top teams can stay in the threads they are. But for the none popular teams a journey thread would be ideal. You'd still have team threads but you'd also be encouraging new users to post who might play with these types of teams.

For the Lower Leagues could you not have a Championship, League One, League Two, BSP etc etc Thread?

For the Lower Leagues could you not have a Championship, League One, League Two, BSP etc etc Thread?

What happens when a team gets promoted though?

I agree that teams threads are more aimed at advice. The journey thread idea is good but just a single thread would become messy and hard to follow I would imagine

What happens when a team gets promoted though?

I suspect that if the club got promoted then you post in the next one up. So if you start as a League One team, post in there and then if you get promoted then post in the Championship one?

I suspect that if the club got promoted then you post in the next one up. So if you start as a League One team, post in there and then if you get promoted then post in the Championship one?

Would be hard to follow though surely?

We do need something though, its just trying to find something that everyone can agree on :)

I would venture the suggestion that given the description of what the GPTG is for at the top of the page, then updates on saves shouldn't really be posted in here. For starters it's kinda pointless anyway, as your updates tend to get lost in amongst those asking for advice and tips, (and that is as it should be really).

The team guides can and should still be there as they are very useful for people starting with that team. Some of the information regarding good formations to use, youngsters to keep an eye on, etc, at the start of a save is very handy. After that though they should be solely used for people to ask for advice rather than post game updates as they just clogg everything up.

Nope people can still post there updates, they must.

I didn't say there shouldn't be threads for that, I just meant that posting game updates in the team guides is pretty pointless. Users barely comment on one anothers updates, (epecially in the threads for the bigger clubs), and it ends up just being glorified boast with people posting screenshot after screenshot of what they have achieved with little interaction from other users. Getting rid of that crap would mean that when someone asks for help about that club, it is seen and answered.

At no place in the following statement from the top of the page does it mention about save updates;

Uncovered a rough diamond, think you've found an excellent player, have you built your dream XI, are you looking for some advice on building a successful team or do you need tips on the best players or staff for your team? No matter which it is, this is the place for you.

Being so dismissive of what I said isn't exactly helpful. What I said had valid reasoning.

Cleon's idea isn't that bad tbh. If I may throw an idea down? Would it be worth having a section in the forum links thread with links to threads of saves in different nations where people can update still? So, people playing in England, or currently managing in England could post in there. Then, should they move to Italy or something, they could post in that thread. Then those who prefer reading threads/updates on English clubs or whatever nation the team plays in, can read as they please and not have to worry about following and keeping us as much. It'd probably keep it tidyish as well.

Looks like I've got a new candidate for my ignore list.

Tom doesn't understand its a dictatorship not a democracy :D

Tom understands that there was a discussion going on and decided to have some input, only for some jumped up little Hitler to just dismiss what was suggested, with by the looks of it very little reasoning. :brock:

What kind of stuff can you play?

Quite a few songs to be honest. It ranges from the likes of Chuck Berry & The Beatles to Metallica & Avenged Sevenfold. I prefer playing songs from the likes of Free, Bad Company, Led Zeppelin, Slash, Guns N' Roses, but for speed, Metallica are probably the toughest set of songs I know.

This is one of the guitars I own.

SRL, I have bought this one as it was recommended by a guy from work.

Nothing wrong with a Yamaha to be fair.

Not impressed that Germany and Portugal did my accy in earlier :shakeshead:

Massively surprised you would put Portugal on. Seems pointless. They must have been AT LEAST 1/10 surely?

Good 1-4 in Romania, defence still does not look solid though :D

I'm doing fine Cleon, how abut you?

I'm good ta :)

Can SRL or Tom or someone who is good at spelling tell me if the spelling in this is correct please;

Shadows dancing on the sand,

a man and women walk hand in hand.

They watch the moon dance in the sky,

then watch the stars twinkle in each other's eyes.

They hear the waves crash on the shore,

then, just silence... and nothing more.

The horizon, so beautiful,

The breeze, so shy,

as the new day ascends into the sky.

The only people who matter,

Are you and are I.

Morning all, how is everyone?

Not to shabby. Ive just woke up and now I need to get my arse into gear and get ready for work. How are things over in 'lovely' Gateshead?

Can SRL or Tom or someone who is good at spelling tell me if the spelling in this is correct please;

I cant see anything wrong with it.

Man and woman walk hand in hand. The word "women" means more than one. For the instance; the two women were playing with a *****.

And then there shouldn't be an apostrophe in the word "others". An apostrophe makes it mean "other is".

Not to shabby. Ive just woke up and now I need to get my arse into gear and get ready for work. How are things over in 'lovely' Gateshead?

I cant see anything wrong with it.

Cheers fella.

Its wet here and cold. I don't mind though as I gotta stay in because bathroom man is here :(

Man and woman walk hand in hand.

And then there shouldn't be an apostrophe in the word "others". An apostrophe makes it "other is".

Cheers mate. I wanna get it right, gotta put in the anniversary card for the missus.