If You Count Your Chickens Before They've Hatched, They Won't Lay An Egg

AK22

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi AK22, I'm enjoying reading your new save. Congratulations on winning promotion first time around. It will be interesting to see how you go in the BSP.

Quick question, how can you see each teams wage bill as it's something I'd like to do?

Looks like a solid team for the BSP - good luck!
Great read so far AK! Brilliant promotion as well! Good luck in BSP! :)
Hi AK22, I'm enjoying reading your new save. Congratulations on winning promotion first time around. It will be interesting to see how you go in the BSP.

Quick question, how can you see each teams wage bill as it's something I'd like to do?

Cheers :thup: I'm targeting 50 points, which should be easily enough to keep us up. 44 and 45 was enough in the previous two seasons, so getting 50 will allow us a little bit of leeway. Hopefully, the players I've got are good enough to get us there.

You can find the wage bill for each team in your league under the team stats page for the relevant league. It looks something like this. To be honest, I'm surprised clubs like Newport County are able to pay so much on wages without going bankrupt.

You can find the wage bill for each team in your league under the team stats page for the relevant league. It looks something like this. To be honest, I'm surprised clubs like Newport County are able to pay so much on wages without going bankrupt.

Is this in FM12 only or can you see this information in FM11?

I didn't mean right away,if you feel like it at some point that would be cool. :)

I wouldn't rule it out altogether. I don't have Norway loaded at the moment, but that doesn't mean I won't load it in the future. Wouldn't mind a pop with Valerenga or Viking at some point :thup:

In regards to your tactic, do you change strategy depending on your opponent or do you always leave it as standard?

Great start to your career, if it's anything like your last, then it should be awesome :D

Thanks Matt. I tend to start the majority of matches on standard mentality, and then adjust accordingly based on my assessment of the first 15 minutes of play. I watch key highlights, so I can get a pretty decent picture of how things are going myself, but will also look at Ass Man feedback too. In most Blue Square matches, the games are quite even, so I don't always adjust too much, but if I find we're struggling to gain a foothold, I might change to play on the counter. Or then go to control, if counter doesn't have the desired effect.

Quite regularly, we tend to dominate possession, but are unable to create many chances. To combat this, I'll go to a direct passing style, and may go to an attacking mentality too, just to make sure my players get the ball forward and have some attempts at goal :thup:

Kingstonian F.C.

kingstonian.png

Mid-Season Update 2013/14

Blue Square Bet Premier: 3rd

Table

Fixtures

What a great start to the season we had. Sitting 3rd, and with 51 points on the board, I'm sure we've already done enough to secure another season in the BSP. Even though we sit comfortably in the playoff places at the moment, I don't really expect us to maintain this kind of form in the second half of the season, mainly due to the limitations of my squad. Any further success will heavily depend on if we can keep Jordan Thewlis in good form too. 17 league goals already, making him the topscorer in the BSP, is a more than decent return. If he continues in this vein, a top half finish is the very least we should be achieving. I've told the board this too, which gives me a bit extra in the wage budget, which I'll be using to bring in a couple of fresh faces.

Other News

Signor Capello's England reign has come to a very sticky end, having falling to qualify for the 2014 World Cup. An extremely disappointing qualifying campaign saw them finish 4th in their group behind Ukraine, Poland and Montenegro. Monsieur Wenger has been chosen by the English FA to be the new national team boss.

I have just discovered your Career AK22. Excellent stuff - Clear, crisp and concise layout and one I am definitely going to follow.

I normally start 4-51 at the beginning of an LLM start simply because, as you say, it makes you hard to beat. Tweaks here and there and bingo. Though Kingstonian going up is brilliant :applause:

A few seasons of consolidation and who knows? Jordan Thewlis should score a bagful for you with those stats in the BSP. :D

Well that's good to hear. League football soon?

You never know rancer :D I've had no FM time this weekend though, real life getting in the way unfortunately, and delaying my progress somewhat!

Great first half to the season, lets hope you can carry that on into the 'squeaky bum time'

are you glad that you are out of both cups or not?

Thanks HotChocolate. I'm always in two minds when it comes to the cups. A good FA cup run can set the club up financially for two or three seasons, but the fixture congestion always then causes a bit of a headache. Actually, we were really unlucky in the FA Cup this season, losing out to League One side Oxford on penalties. So close to causing a 'cupset'!

Fantastic time so far.

I'm really pleased we've carried our momentum forward from last season. I'm sure we'll have a Jan/Feb wobble though.

I have just discovered your Career AK22. Excellent stuff - Clear, crisp and concise layout and one I am definitely going to follow.

I normally start 4-51 at the beginning of an LLM start simply because, as you say, it makes you hard to beat. Tweaks here and there and bingo. Though Kingstonian going up is brilliant :applause:

A few seasons of consolidation and who knows? Jordan Thewlis should score a bagful for you with those stats in the BSP.

Glad to have you following Daz :thup: I'm a major advocate of 4-5-1, definitely a good base to start with. Obviously, it works better with some teams than other, but I'm really satisfied about how well it's working with The K's.

Excellent return from Thewlis, keep up the good work!

I'd be amazed if Thewlis doesn't earn BSP signing of the season. I knew he was going to be good, maybe a 20 goal a season striker, but I'm amazed that he's now on target for 30. Cue, torn hamstring now (hopefully not! :D)

Doing really well to be in 3rd! I lurked through pretty much all of your 2011 career but I'll definitely be an active follower of this one!

Keep it up! :thup:

Fantastic start to the season :thup:. Looking very well placed to at least the playoffs.

Good luck for the rest of the season

Well done on third :) and good luck for the remainder of the season as you can still go up

Thanks a lot. I've literally just finished the season, so should get an update up shortly :)

Kingstonian F.C.

kingstonian.png

Season Review 2013/14

Competitions

Blue Square Bet Premier: 3rd (Promoted via playoffs)

Position Graph | Playoffs | Fixtures 1 | Fixtures 2

BlueSquareBetPremierOverview_Stages-2-1.png

FA Cup: 1st Round

FA Trophy: 1st Round

Season Summary

Match of the Season:

Another pretty unbelievable season at Kingsmeadow. I don't think anyone can believe the fact we've achieved back-to-back promotion, and to be honest, I've even surprised myself. I never expected us to be challenging at the top of the table come the end of the season, but we near enough maintained a consistent 3rd position for the whole second half of the season. We did have a couple of small blips throughout the course of the year, including a period of fives games in February where all we could do is draw. We also had our fair share of bad luck when it came to games being called off. At one stage, we had four games in hand, due to the amount of matches postponed because of detrimental weather conditions. Fortunately, the squad held up this year, and we managed to maintain a steady level of performance, keeping us in the playoff places right up to the very end. No-one was ever going to catch Wrexham at the top of the table though. They led from start to finish, finishing the season with a commanding 17 point advantage.

So, for the second season in a row, we would be challenging in the playoffs. But this time for League football status! After finishing third in the table, we had the advantage of playing the first leg of semi-final away from home. A satisfying performance against Lincoln followed, winning 4-2 on aggregate and setting us on the short road to Wembley. An interesting venue to use, as 'only' 38,817 turned up to watch us thrash Barnet 3-1 and secure our place in npower League Two. This was a remarkable match, and I thoroughly recommend you watch the highlights embedded above as 'Match of the Season'. We were extremely fortunate to see Barnet reduced to ten men after six minutes, but the goals that followed were of the very highest class. A tremendous effort by us, and this nice little showcase secured The K's league football for the first time in their history.

Once again, we can thank our excellent away form for keeping us in contention. 40 points on the road was the second best record in the league (only behind Wrexham), but I will still be looking for improvements in front of our own fans next season.

Our success was enough for me to secure Blue Square Bet Premier Manager of the Year, and more importantly, a two-year contract extension combined with a £375 per week pay increase.

Financial

Bank Balance: £83807 ( + £65257 on last season)

Average Attendance: 1397 (+749)

Season Ticket Holders: 110 (+55)

The trip to Wembley really helped our finances, adding £250k to the club's coffers. Without this much needed income, things would have been looking pretty dismal. Our attendances weren't too bad overall, but we just couldn't make any kind of profit over the course of the season. Increased TV revenue next season though, so the bank manager should be kept happy!

Squad

Squad Overview

Transfer Summary

Team of the Year

Overall Best Eleven

Fan's Player of the Year: Jordan Thewlis

Manager's Player of the Year: Jordan Thewlis

Top Goalscorer: Jordan Thewlis (36 goals)

The squad was a lot stronger this season, and even with a few injuries, we still managed to send out a competitive side in every fixture. The signings of Ryan Edwards and Calum McGregor in January really boosted the squad's performances. They both slotted instantly into the first team, and should be able to step up to League Two next season too. That being said, the star of the show was undoubtedly Jordan Thewlis. Even after a eight game baron spell, he still topped the league goalscoring charts, contributing with 32 BSP goals, earning Signing of the Season too. Highlights from the supporting cast include the very able and creative midfield pairing of Adam Forshaw and Stuart O'Keefe. Also, promotion would never have been achieved without Jason Marr, and the afore mentioned Ryan Edwards, putting out the fires in our defence.

Other News

I've had my first job offer of my career. League Two side, Bury, sacked their manager with a handful of games remaining in the season. Offering a bigger wage budget, I decided to stall the offer, and review once I had completed the season with Kingstonian. However, since we've achieved promotion, I decided to reject their tempting offer, committing myself to establishing The K's in the Football League. Bury's financial status was listed as 'insecure', so this was another reason why I've decided to stay put. That being said, my current chairman wants to leave and is trying to sell the club. I'm hoping for a quick and stress-free takeover, but it's probably best to prepare for the worse!

Career Summary

Season     Team              League                   Finish    Cups                             
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2011/12    Unemployed
2012/13    Kingstonian       Blue Square Bet South    3rd       FA Cup 4th Qualifying Round, FA Trophy 2nd Round
2013/14    Kingstonian       Blue Square Bet Premier  3rd       FA Cup 1st Round, FA Trophy 1st Round

Just gave a quick reading of the career so far. This season's been pretty damn good, particularly considering you barely got promoted into the BSP the previous year, with a freakishly low sum of points. Perhaps there isn't much of a gap between both leagues? Either way, great start for the career.

Bloody hell fire. Thewlis should be renamed BananaBoy or something after that goal. Unbelieveable!

Congratulations on FL status :-) As the CC is seeded, maybe a big Championship side in round 1?

I didn't realise it was seeded. Is that a new thing? So, yeah, from a financial perspective, an away tie to one of the big Championship sides will really help the club finances. Overall, though, I'm not too bothered about the cup competitions. The league is the only priority for next season, so won't be disappointed if we go out in the first round in all three of the cups.

Congratulations on the promotion
Congrats on promotion!! :D

Thanks Azeryk and B.W.G.

Just gave a quick reading of the career so far. This season's been pretty damn good, particularly considering you barely got promoted into the BSP the previous year, with a freakishly low sum of points. Perhaps there isn't much of a gap between both leagues? Either way, great start for the career.

Cheers noikeee. I'm pretty certain there's not a lot of difference in class between the Blue Square Premier and the Blue Square Regionals. One or two excellent signings can really take the league by storm, and make a huge difference in fortunes for the team. Take Thewlis for example, his goals near enough single-handedly won promotion for us this season. I think it's a bigger step up to League Two though, especially as all the clubs are professional now, so I'm expecting a tougher season ahead.

Excellent job on successive promotions!
Gratz on promotion AK22. Good luck in League 2!
Good job on the back to back promotions AK22! All the best in league play.
Back to back promotions are amazing.

Thanks all :thup: Survival will be name of the game next time around. We'll certainly be the smallest fish in the Football League pond, as our reputation has not increased inline with our rise through the leagues. I suppose this is one of the pitfall of back-to-back promotions though, and maybe we just need a season of consolidation to level things out a bit.

AK22, I got offered the Bury job in my 2nd season aswell, hmmmm :D I was unemployed at the time though as i resigned as Darlington manager as they squad i inherited was just awful..

I took the Bury job (they were just above relegation in League 2) got to a safe mid tabled position, then acheived promotion the following season and currently in pre-season with'em

Loving this so far, will be an avid reader :D Good Luck and Well Done!

I didn't realise it was seeded. Is that a new thing?

Been around for about 5-6 years or so. Only first two rounds are seeded, then it is an open draw. Seeding is simply where you finished the previous year. So in ROund One, the previous 24 Championship clubs, plus those that finished 1-12 in League One are seeded. Round Two is similar in that the top half of teams get seeded (top half being league finishing from previous season). When the draw is made, look at the draw - there will be no Championship v Championship game.

Promotion again,excellent work! :thup:

Did your club go pro yet?

Thanks Nordan :thup: Yep, we've just turned pro. My squad are all still on part-time contract though, so I'm going to have to negotiate quite a few contract deals now.

Great work this season AK! Are you planning on staying with Kingstonian for a while longer or moving on quickly?

Cheers HC. I've just signed a two year contract extension with the K's, so I'm planning on seeing that out. Once I've established them as a stable Football League club, I'll then review the state of play, and maybe move on. Well, that's the provisional plan at least, I wouldn't rule anything out completely. I'm in no rush to leave, but if I get a good offer, I'm open to some persuasion!

AK22, I got offered the Bury job in my 2nd season aswell, hmmmm I was unemployed at the time though as i resigned as Darlington manager as they squad i inherited was just awful..

I took the Bury job (they were just above relegation in League 2) got to a safe mid tabled position, then acheived promotion the following season and currently in pre-season with'em

Loving this so far, will be an avid reader Good Luck and Well Done!

Coincidence? Or is Richie Barker so carp, he was always going to get sacked eventually? :D

Hopefully I won't regret turning down their offer. Bury's wage budget is four times bigger than what I've got at Kingstonian, so they're a club definitely with a good chance of getting promotion back to League One. However, I feel quite loyal to Kingstonian, and owe it to the club to give League Two a shot with them first before moving on to another club. Good luck with Bury in your save though :)

Been around for about 5-6 years or so. Only first two rounds are seeded, then it is an open draw. Seeding is simply where you finished the previous year. So in ROund One, the previous 24 Championship clubs, plus those that finished 1-12 in League One are seeded. Round Two is similar in that the top half of teams get seeded (top half being league finishing from previous season). When the draw is made, look at the draw - there will be no Championship v Championship game.

I can't say I've noticed before, but that's really useful to know. Cheers :thup:

As others have said, brilliant work getting back to back promotions

Hopefully Thewlis can be as prolific in League 2.

Thanks roganp. Even if Thewlis can only score half as many goals as he did in the BSP, I'd be delighted. I will be looking to bring in a decent back-up over the summer though, just in case he gets struck down with yellow fever or some other rare disease ;)

Forgot to add, this thread has inspired me to start a new career in BSS. I have done one as Truro but will go with Salisbury as I used to live there. So will share Salisbury game with my Saints one.

This thread and the San Marino one make me keep checking for updates several times a day! Keep going AK22!

What is your long term goal? I read your career objectives but doesn't state when you will have achieved your goal. CL win?

Forgot to add, this thread has inspired me to start a new career in BSS. I have done one as Truro but will go with Salisbury as I used to live there. So will share Woking game with my Saints one.

This thread and the San Marino one make me keep checking for updates several times a day! Keep going AK22!

What is your long term goal? I read your career objectives but doesn't state when you will have achieved your goal. CL win?

Do it Daz! Non-league football is so much fun. There's not a lot of talent around, but the matches are certainly entertaining! ;)

Thinking about long term goals, I'd like to win the Champions League on three different continents, and maybe a World Cup victory, but asides from that, I just want to enjoy the save and the teams I manage. I would also like to explore some 'unfashionable' leagues later on in the save, making the most of the add/remove league feature. In particular, I'm quite interested in going to Scandinavia for a while, and the Balkan nations seem quite appealing too. I've also got some unfinished business in South America, due to my failings to win the Copa Libertadores in my FM11 save, so I'd like to go back there at some point. I'm very intrigued by the MLS too, so there's plenty to keep me, and this thread, busy for the foreseeable future! :)

Superb job AK.
Great work with the back-to-back promotions, go for three in a row! :thup:

Cheers Nobby and Adelaidean :thup: Can't see three in a row happening though.

Sounds like you'll need a couple lifetimes for your goals! But I commend you on setting the sights high. Why not! ;)

Always good to have a bit of ambition, eh ;) Should keep me going until FM13 is released!

Archived