From Young Men to World Beaters

dafuge

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My few times trying the Gundo Challenge in NI would suggest you either turn professional when you have enough money (qualify for CL group stages) or if you win the league 6 or 7 times consecutively. The former is the most likely incident to occur first.

I need my reputation to rise at the moment, I've got a bit of money but just can't attract any players better than the ones I have. Ideally we need to turn professional, but apparently we can't afford that.

What happened to the million you won?! :) Having followed your careers I know you really love those red numbers ;)

Bourneview Young Men - Carling Premiership - 2015/16

Last season we came close to the title, but just couldn't keep up with Cliftonville.

League Table

League Positions Graph

We did exactly what Cliftonville did last year, we opened up a big lead and then started losing games as the fixtures piled up. Just like them, we managed to hold on for the title.

Mid-Ulster Cup - the reserves played the entire tournament, and won it.

Irish League Cup - we rotated the squad again as they lost out on penalties.

Irish Cup - Linfield beat us once again, to stop our run of Irish cup wins.

Setanta Cup - this was a massive win for us over a decent Shamrock side.

UEFA Europa League - we had an amazing win over Bursaspor, but the run didn't last long as Midtjylland outplayed us.

Squad - the squad is growing in size to meet the demands of the fixture list, squad rotation is a must with the number of games we are playing.

Transfers - some great players joined the club this year, and I'll continue looking to improve this squad further.

Finances - the prize money from the Setanta Cup has taken our finances to the next level, hopefully we can start to use that money to improve the facilities.

Key Player Profiles:

Martin Zelenka - another great season from the striker.

Eriks Punculs - surprisingly he managed to out-score Zelenka.

Matija Cakarun - another great year, with plenty of assists from the midfielder.

Tom Richardson - a new signing, but what a player!

Ian Woodford - another winger who set up a decent number of goals.

Career Overview

Season    League                   Position    Achievements
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2012/13   Championship Two         1st         League, Mid-Ulster and Intermediate Cup winners
2013/14   Championship One         1st         League, Mid-Ulster and Irish Cup winners
2014/15   Carling Premiership      2nd         Irish Cup winners
2015/16   Carling Premiership      1st         League, Mid-Ulster and Setanta Cup winners

Next Season

It hasn't taken long, but I think the domestic challenge may be over. I have a feeling that the progress over the next few years will be slow as we try and work our way to professional status and start bringing the club up to a level that can compete outside of Northern Ireland.

Reputations

Northern Ireland - 63rd in FIFA rankings - up 11

Northern Ireland - 45th in UEFA coefficients - up 1

Carling Premiership - 168th in European competitions (1.5 stars) - up 12

Bourneview - 488th in UEFA coefficients - up 423

Champions League champions third qualifying phase leg 2 - Bourneview vs Renova

It looked like it was going to be close when Renova pulled back to 2-2, but we picked them apart as they went for the win.

The final qualifying round brings us up against AIK of Sweden. Possibly one of the best clubs we could get in the draw, but they are decent side.

Champions League champions playoff leg 2 - Bourneview vs AIK

AIK were much better in this match and scored an early goal, but as they pushed forward we were able to hit them on the break managing another unlikely win.

This means we have made the Champions League group stage and the £6m that comes with it. I'm shocked that we've made it, but the 'champions route' in the qualifiers makes a huge difference for clubs like us. Had the qualifiers been in the old format, we'd have come up against clubs like Arsenal, Valencia, Fiorentina, Schalke and Porto. Instead, the worst we could have been drawn against was perhaps Standard Liege.

And the group draw has been made, this is who we've got :D

Impressive work! :thup: Also, not often you see three teams from the United Kingdom in the same Champions League group (i.e. never!).

I liked that, it was a bit weird that I didn't get the usual 'Battle of Britain' message though :D

Least amount of travelling ever in a group?

Archived