FM12 Big Euro Nation: Small Club to Big Club Challenge

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Oh no. I've just been recommended (by two separate scouts) two centre backs, one called Jesus and the other called Christ Tshamala. I'm very tempted to buy them both so my defence is Jesus, Christ.
Could lead o some amusing news stories - Jesus injured by Christ in training for example :DI had a player fom Chile called Jesus in FM10 and always got a chuckle out of opposition managers "praising Jesus" after games. :)

Could lead o some amusing news stories - Jesus injured by Christ in training for example :DI had a player fom Chile called Jesus in FM10 and always got a chuckle out of opposition managers "praising Jesus" after games. :)

Agreed. In Portugal (and last year in Spain) there are great stories. My favourite was a media report before a tough game for the Portugal national side this year - 'Portugal rely on Jesus and co' - it's so accidentally pessimistic!

Oh no. I've just been recommended (by two separate scouts) two centre backs, one called Jesus and the other called Christ Tshamala. I'm very tempted to buy them both so my defence is Jesus, Christ.

Make sure you buy Simon Church to play upfront ;)

Season review 2019/2020

League table | Position graph | DFB-pokal | Fixtures 1 | Fixtures 2

We started the season awfully with 2 losses against Düsseldorf and Hoffenheim, indicating that this was probably going to be a long and hard season. And it would have been if hadn't gone on a 8 macht unbeaten run, including a 1-1 against Bayern (our only draw in that run), a 3-1 win at Leverkusen, and a 1-0 win over Dortmund (!).

Our run was then abruptly ended with a 2-3 loss at Stuttgart, then came 5 unbeaten games with 3 wins and 2 draws. At this point we were 4th and had a great chance at european football at the midseason break, at 5th after a loss against gladbach.

After the winter break we weren't as good as before, but started off well with 2 wins. Followed by a loss at Werder Bremen. After a dissapointing draw against Mainz, again came the 3 hard games against Bayern, Leverkusen and Dortmund, which we handled well with again a draw against Bayern a win over Leverkusen and a draw at Dortmund. With just 10 games to go we just had to hold on a bit longer to make europe. But we dropped too many points and made it come down to very last game.

We played Gladbach and Leverkusen played Mainz both at home, we knew we had to win as Leverkusen probably would as well. We went ahead in the 8th minute through a Brownlie goal, and things were going well for us, but Gladbach scored twice in 54th and 76th minute and Leverkusen were ahead. We were still able to draw the game but couldn't win it anymore, and as Leverkusen won their game, still no european football for us.

I really wanted a cup run this season, and we went a bit further this season, finally being in the cup after the winter break, achieved with an easy win over mettlach, then a decent win over Köln, and a less then convincing win over Rostock (we needed an own goal and a penalty), but went out in the quarter-final after a difficult draw with Wolfsburg.

Finances - Our finances are very healthy at the moment and we're expanding the youth facilities as we speak, and theres still sponsor money to come.

Transfers - Got in another new goalkeeper on a free from everton, a new player for the wings (Sobota), a new right-back who was dissapointing, and a very big nigerian striker prospect.

Top players:

5: Koray Günter - My best defender by far, but we need to improve our defence to move up the table

4: Jacob Gibbons - I love this guy, always performs and a great player.

3: Waldemar Sobota - A very good player, but getting on a bit, but can still perform at this level.

2: Thomas Peters - As Caron didn't perform, he had to step in, and he did, scored some great goals and had a very good season.

1: Scott Brownlie - The explosive striker finally started to perform this season, and I hope to enjoy him a couple more seasons.

3 of our players were called up for the european championship this season: Lee Hill (Wales), Stefan Valenta (Slovakia) and Scott Brownlie (Scotland).

I arranged 2 player to come next season:

1. Jerry van der Zee

2. Pedro Lopez

so, having overcome FC Copenhagen 3-2 in the 4th qualifying round, Dinamo Stavropol have been drawn in Euro Cup Group I along with Bordeaux, FC Twente and Olympiakos...looks like our European adventure may be over before its even begun, be fun to see if we can compete at this level :)

Never thought I'd say this but I need to sell Natale. His head has been turned and he has requested a transfer. But as it was outside of a transfer window I thought I could just continue playing him. Alas he's a hinderance to the team now. He can't score for toffee and is generally just a nuisence up there. We had been on a shocking run of league form but have just won 2 back to back and are back in the playoff spots. Only 6 games to go.

(sorry to all that may have trouble following where I'm at with Novese, it must be confusing having me drop in and out every fortnight :(. Fortunately I'm off for xmas til the 3rd of January so should​ be able to update more regularly now :) )

Oh and from looking at this page solely, well done G-Wiz, great to see such solid progress with a Russian side.

thank you sir...hopefully the european adventure will attract some investment, as the lack of funds is really affecting my ability to compete at this level. Judging from the way we've started in the league this season, last years 8th place finish may have just been us punching well above our weight. In reality we're nowhere near competing with the top russian sides :(

Well in case you haven't seen there has been another update...here are some direct fixes to our leagues:

France

------

- Updated National Division Schedule.

- Fixed teams from overseas territories not taking part in the French Cup.

- Fixed Ligue 1 Schedule.

- Fixed Ligue 2 Schedule.

- Updated Coupe de la Ligue prize money.

- Updated CFA Schedule.

- User reserve team matches in the CFA now are played in full detail.

- French Cup runners up now take part in EURO Cup if the winners have qualified for the Champions Cup.

- Updated the 2011 Champions Trophy venue.

Germany

-------

- Fixed First and Second Division schedules.

Italy

-----

- Randomized Coppa Italia Lega Pro groups.

- Updated points deduction for Serie B and Lega Pro 1st and 2nd Divisions.

- Fixed Italian Cup final fixture clash with international fixtures.

- Fixed Italian Cup runner up not taking part in Super Cup when a team does the double (i.e. a team wins Serie A and Italian Cup).

- Italian Cup semi-final first leg date no longer clashes with international matches every 2nd year.

Russia

------

- Squad win bonus news item now doesn't appear halfway through first season.

- Russian Premier Division teams in first season of Russian Cup sixth round play away.

- Updated prize money of Russian competitions.

- Fixed promotion to Russian First Division from Second Division.

Scotland

--------

- Fixed League Cup semi-final date.

Spain

-----

- Fixed Spanish Cup final fixture clash with international fixtures.

- Fixed LIGA Adelante playoff rules.

- Can now move non-EU players to B teams.

- Fixed Playoff final for Second B Division in user's 2nd season being scheduled on June 30th, the same day as player's are released at the end of their contracts.

Turkey

------

- Correct teams now in the Turkish Second Division groups.

- Fixed European qualification from the 2011/12 Turkish Premier Division and changed it back to a single league format for 2012/13.

- Fixed Wednesday Premiership matches not being televised.

- Stopped trialists being able to play in competitive matches.

There are also some other ones that will affect us, but these are directly to our leagues.

150px-Usnovese.png

End of Season Report - Novese - 2015/16 (Season 4) - Serie C1B

Serie C1B -

4th

Self-inflicted pressure of the Natale contract situation meant that if we didn't secure promotion this year, he could leave for just £250k. Improving on last year's 3rd place finish was the aim.

We began superbly, staying unbeaten in our first 12 games and topping the table. I had high hopes for the year but as is sometimes the case, teams cotton onto your tactics for the return game and make life more difficult. This happened to us and our form in the second half of the season drastically deteriorated.

We won just 6 of our 17 games from January and that quite simply cost us automatic promotion. In fact it did so much damage that we finished 4th and were consigned to the playoffs again.

Oh, the playoffs. How I loathe them. Tiago Gomes did score one of the goals of the season to put us 1-0 up at home but we faded badly and lost 2-1 in what would be the final game at the Costante Girardengo. Pity. The 2nd leg went the same way and we bade farewell to the playoffs, probably Natale and definitely Alessandria who were promoted.

The Cups:

The Coppa Italia gave us two games this season as we despatched Sacilese 4-0 but fell in the next round to Virtus Lanciano.

The Serie C Cup saw us enter in the 1st knockout round and we destroyed Bassano 4-2. The 2nd round saw an impressive 3-1 win over high profile Perugia. So we made the odd group stage of 3 teams, 2 fixtures and 1 qualifying spot. One loss can end your chances and our opening 1-0 defeat to Viareggio sealed our fate.

Results

Key Men:

Riccardo Tantardini (DC) - he's been a key man for us and has shown remarkable improvements since we signed him in 2012. Need to find a more steady partner for him than Orchi though.

Massimo Cianci (DM/MLC) - probably the man who improved the most over the season. Will become a key CM for us I think.

Carlo Cesena (M/AMC) - from the most improved to the best player of the season. He won the league's player of the year and was a superb trequartista for us. He will be essential for us next year.

Tiago Gomes (AMLC/ST) - second top goalscorer in the league but most came in the first half of the season. As the year dragged on, he let his form drop and that was disappointing.

Giorgio Natale (AMC/ST) - the biggest let down. Like Gomes began the year well, until he realised he wanted to leave. After that point, his form dropped and we struggled for goals.

Squad Stats

Results 1 | Results 2

Finances

Objectives Complete?

• Press for Playoff spot

Achieved, but again we fell at that final hurdle.

• Keep Natale

Achieved. Likely to be the last we see of him though

• TRY​ to amend the finances

Major fail. Kept Natale by sacrificing the financial future of the club. In hindsight, not worth it at all.

Objectives:

• Press for Playoff spot
  • Develop a new tactical framework (ideally a 4-3-3 hybrid)
  • TRY to amend the finances ;)

So we'll be moving to the new stadium in the summer, probably saying goodbye to Natale and I want to change the tactical set up in pre-season. So there is plenty of upheaval at the club on the way and it is likely to set us back a year or two. I don't expect playoffs next year, but I will be certainly aiming for top half. The precarious finances have to be amended somehow. It is a diabolical situation I've plunged us into!

Well this summer has been interesting. Natale was the subject of most of the talk around town as he was the subject of a £130k co-ownership deal. Cittadella took 50% for that and have the option to sign him for £250k the following year. It means he'll stay with us for one final year (presuming they have enough to buy him next year) and consequently was made club captain for the year. Risky but hopefully he will commit himself further to the club knowing he will get his move next summer.

As for other transfers, we've been massively restricted by the wage budget. At present we don't have a right back or a left back! I'm just waiting for the time I can ask the board for a wage budget increase. Shouldn't be long now :)

SV Wilhelmshaven Season Review 2020-2021

League table | Position graph | DFB-pokal | Fixtures 1 | Fixtures 2

Season Review:

A season where we didn't do much of anything and thus this will be a shorter update as many of the players are the same and the results are essentially the same as well. The big theme of the year was thinning out of the squad and the acquisition of star Brazilian striker Daniel. Our record 9 million pound signing came in and provided the goals that were so sorely lacking for this team over the years. Frustratingly our airtight defence of the past few seasons also dissipated. As you can see in the fixtures list, we had both great runs of form and some pathetic ones. The key loss of form was just after the winter break where we lost 5 games in a row and only scored 1 goal, which was a rare revert back to the hapless infront of goal Wilhelmshaven of years previous.

The other theme of the season was injuries. Aside from our 2 main strikers, essentially every one of our key players had a serious injury this year, despite the fact that we played the fewer games than we had in previous seasons. Losing both Vieira and Falah at the same time takes away the bite from our midfield.

Overall, a disappointing cup run along with another 7th place would have meant no Europe, however a Bayern Munich victory in the Champions League final has apparently granted us entrance into the Euro Cup for next season, so a rare thanks goes out to FC Bayern Munchen ::applause:.

Finances - We're crazy rich, but our chairman is pragmatic (read: tight fisted)

Transfers - Only player in of note was Daniel, others were just prospects. We sold off a number of fringe prospects and squad player, looking to develop some of the clubs academy players which are showing promise.

Top players:

5: Farkas - A somewhat average season for our Slovak number one. Still, he provides the best goalkeeping the club has ever seen.

4: Falah - Our best midfielder the Swede's season was derailed by a torn hamstring and it could be argued it derailed the team's whole season.

3: Worn - To score 6 goals for Wilhelmshaven is a feat considering our offensive inepitude, he's a really solid winger

2: Zoidze - Vice-Captain Zoidze scored 12 goals and added 6 assists to be a key player for us up front. If his goal totals keep improving he may eventually be the striker I thought he could be.

1: Daniel - For the first time in the top flight we had a player break double digits in goals. He misses more than I'd like, but with my history of buying strikers I'm not going to complain.

Oh dear, iacovone, sounds like you're having a tough run at the moment. It will make the success even sweeter!

Yeah it's not going great PRDH. Tried to mould us into a fluid passing side but it's all gone t*ts up. Only won 1 league game from the first 11! So I've switched to a sort of 4-4-2 diamond in a desperate attempt to reverse our fortunes.

As you say, the struggle adds so much when success finally arrives :)

We will fight them on the beaches: An Englishman in Dunkerque....

USL_Dunkerque.jpg

Today, USL Dunkerque unveiled their new manager - a completely unknown Englishman, Richard Kasbarian who apparently traveled across on the ferry in search of cheap cigarettes and somehow ended up in the football stadium. Demanding six hundred Marlborough and a seven bottles of Jack Daniels form the club chairman, upon learning of the local football team he proclaimed that he would start a revolution in the region if he were made manager. The French club surrendered in due fashion and gave the reigns over to him, leaving former Wolves defender Ludovic Pollet suitably pissed off at the developments. (Although not really seeing as USLD finished 8th in the CFA and only got promoted because all of the seven sides above them were reserve sides.)

Dunkerque have never played in the highest division of France and have never won a major trophy in their 93 year history. Their club motto is 'contre vents et merres' (lit. against the wind and waves.) Which is what we will need to combat the biting Channel breeze during our matches. :cool:

Stadium

Facilities

Club Info

The squad was fairly bloated but Kasbarian announced no real sweeping changes - ditching some deadwood on amateur contracts and bringing in a few new faces in the squad as well as new backroom staff, all puzzled by their sudden call-up to Dunkerque. Overall the club are well within their wage budget and despite possessing players of a lesser quality than most teams in this league, will still fancy their chances of avoiding relegation back down to the amateur divisions.

Let ze battle commence...

this team is so unpredictable, its getting really frustrating!! perfect example, we will lose or draw games against teams we should be beating, and then we will play away to Lokomotiv Moscow, get hammered all game, and win 1-0! just check out the stats, we had no right to win that game at all, not that im complaining, first league victory over Lokomotiv, and valuable away points in the league...

anyhooo...

this team is so unpredictable, its getting really frustrating!! perfect example, we will lose or draw games against teams we should be beating, and then we will play away to Lokomotiv Moscow, get hammered all game, and win 1-0! just check out the stats, we had no right to win that game at all, not that im complaining, first league victory over Lokomotiv, and valuable away points in the league...

anyhooo...

Wow! The phrase 'Smash and Grab' comes to mind with that game. Although 33 shots and only 6 on target - I wouldn't be trying to buy their strikers come the end of the season!

NOt played in nearly two weeks due to my father passing away and as such not been in here.

Well done on completion Toonbalmy. ALso to all who have won silverware well done guys.

Sending my Condolences :thup:

hopefully he be watching over you and your Red Sox not so much that they will bash the Phillies :D

NOt played in nearly two weeks due to my father passing away and as such not been in here.

Well done on completion Toonbalmy. ALso to all who have won silverware well done guys.

sorry to hear that Almondo, my thoughts are with you and your family at this sad time

I echo the sentiments of the above posts. Sorry for your loss Almondo

I'm a little past the halfway point in my current season. Fenerbahçe are running away with the league a bit - 8 points clear of us in second and it's difficult to see when & where they are going to drop points. At least the Championship Group at the end of the season will see whatever lead they have cut in half :)

Btw, am I to assumje from the latest patch notes that the play-off system has been removed by the latest patch? The notes say: "- Fixed European qualification from the 2011/12 Turkish Premier Division and changed it back to a single league format for 2012/13." Has anyone doing the challenge in Turkey moved on to a new season since the patch? Can you confirm this?

In other news, my chairman has gone over my head to sell a player for the first time as he let our top defender Mazrahi go for 13.5million TL. A decent price but we are now left with a very young and average looking defence. Luckily, he resisted temptation when Aston Villa renewed their interest in Woodford with a 40million TL bid and when Anzhi offered 12.5million TL for Hakan Konak.

Iacovone - tough times at the moment mate. Fingers crossed the formation change works.

Kabajingai - good luck with Dunkerque and welcome back to the challenge. Love the opening post too.

Almondo - so sorry to hear that mate. Can’t imagine what that is like. Thoughts with you and your family.

DodgeeD - not sure about the patch fix though I would be surprised if it amended the league format of an existing game??? In terms of chairman accepting bids I have also just had my first one which I wasn’t too happy about either.

150px-Usnovese.png

End of Season Report - Novese - 2016/17 (Season 5) - Serie C1A

Serie C1B - 9th

The big summer news saw the club sell 50% of Giorgio Natale to Cittadella for £170k. He will likely move permanently next year for £250k.

As the season began, I attempted something entirely different: a complete switch in tactical philosophy. We adopted a 3-2-3-2 with the aim of creating a fluid attacking unit and a cover-based defence. It really did not work. We rarely carved out genuine chances, having to rely on set-pieces and we were a mess at the back. However, this was my baby and I intended to make it work. I didn't. It took me half a season to revert back to something more generic.

So with our 5-3-2 beginning to work, I managed to tease us out of the playout positions and into the top half of the table. At one stage we were dark horses to make the playoffs, but it just didn't quite come together.

8th place given our start is more than respectable. I'm very pleased with the turnaround. However we have come 3rd, 4th and 8th now so I need to stop us slipping further south and try and get back up to the playoff spots.

The Cups:

Largely insignificant this year. Missed out on a lucrative tie vs Lazio in the TIM Cup and should have done better in the Serie C Cup.

Results[/url]

Key Men:

Carlo Cesena (M/AMC) - after winning the league's best player award last season, much was expected of the young attacking midfielder. He had a solid season if unspectacular. More will be expected of him next year. He also enters his final year of his contract so tying him down is essential.

- (AMC/ST) - a decent year. Doesnt' score enough goals for my liking but he's too good a player to ever leave out. May have seen the last of him in a Novese shirt.

Flop of the Season:

Renato Scalia (AMRC/ST) - signed as a winger but didn't perform. Was tried in the AMC position and up front in my various formations but was garbage wherever he took to the field. Perhaps I'm to blame for the ridiculous number of formations I tried!

Squad Stats

Results

Finances

Objectives Complete?

Failed. Dropped off due to poor start to the season. Finished 8th

FAIL.

Failed. Natale's wages of nearly £5k per week are killing us. He's becoming a burden on the club.

Objectives:

So moving into our 6th season it is true that we've stalled as a club a bit. The irony here is that the player I tried so hard to keep, thinking he would be the key to Serie B football, has become a burden on the pitch and on the accounts. He must go. With his departure I will need to be more prudent with wages and signing's but we now have a reputation as a club where we can pick up top level cast-offs. This is a market we should be abusing.

SV Waldhof Mannheim – German 2nd Division – Season 2015/16

Season Preview

So after our susprise 3rd place finish and playoff defeat I had a tricky summer. I was torn between a steady build and making an all-out push for promotion. I decided with my 3-year plan that I would continue my steady improvement and make only minor changes to the squad.

To that end, here are the new signings…

Transfers

Full Backs

5. Yordan Ivanov - Yordan was signed to add some quality to the LB spot, particularly following the departure of Desole. At £55k hopefully it will prove to be a bargain.

33. Sahin Yamac - Sahin becomes the 3rd LB at the club, though he will compete with Ivanov for the starting spot as I look to move Novotny out of the club.

Centre Backs

Serkan Eren - Serkan is a highly promising young Turk and will add depth to our defensive options for now.

Midfielders

14. Migen Toma - Migen is a German U19 international and is a highly promising defensive midfielder. He will push for a starting spot.

27. Cabbas Kizildemir - Cabbas is a promising right midfielder and will push Ruiz for his starting spot. Could turn out to be a star.

Strikers

9. Ivan Smodlaka - Ivan cost a large £750k and was my major transfer signing of the summer. He has huge potential and while the fee is a gamble I hope it turns out to be ok. Will push my four existing strikers.

The Upcoming Season

So we are ready for our second season in Bundesliga II. Whilst obviously we want to improve on last season, privately I will be happy with a top-6 finish. Still fancy a pop at the title mind!

If I( remember correctly Rlips PC doesn't quite have a good enough graphics card (or any at all :p) and makes his players look all weird like :p

Either that or he's made so much progress in the game that the footballing world is full of cyborgs with disturbingly human hair.

Vikeologist’s 2019/2020 End of Season Report

Lodoftheshire.png

1559.png

[left]Season             League            Pos           Cups                      Europe     Achievements
2012/13            Sc Div 3          1st           No comment                n/a        Manager of the Year
2013/14            Sc Div 2          1st           Challenge Cup Finalists   n/a        Manager of the Year
2014/15            Sc Div 1          3rd           CC Winners & SC Final     qual       None
2015/16            Sc Div 1          2nd           CC & SC Winners, LC R/U   EC 3Q      Manager of the Year
2016/17            Sc Div 1          1st           Challenge Cup Winners     EC 4Q      Manager of the Year
2017/18            Sc Prem           5th           LC Final                  qual       None
2018/19            Sc Prem           7th           LC Winners                EC R2      Manager of the Year 
2019/20            Sc Prem           1st           SC Winners, LC R/U        n/a        Manager of the Year

[/left]

Squad

Table

Transfers

Let’s not be coy; it was a good season. Like last year, after the 33 game split, we had nothing left to play for in the league in the final 5 games, only this time it was because we’d just secured the title with a 5-1 thrashing of Celtic. In the Scottish Cup Final, we went in at half time 2-0 down, but secured the trophy and 3-2 comeback with a third minute of extra time goal. We lost in the League Cup Final, but having won that last season, I played my back-up players throughout anyway.

What caused this apparently sudden progression. I think it was finishing 7th and out of the top half last season. For all that we were unlucky, we were also, to a great extent, crap. I wielded the axe of a few players, including the club captain, that had been putting their heads in the guillotine with their performances since we’d reached the top tier. This brought in a lot of money, and would have sent the message to the remaining players, had this been real life and not just a spreadsheet, that I meant business. Not having to worry about Europe may have helped as well.

So, Champions League next! There’s a few things on my to do list. My previously star striker Hamza Zengin (previously 32 goals in 63 league games) scored 6 in the first 15 games of this season, and was then injured for the rest of the season in three intervals, playing only 89 more minutes of football. From coaches’ reports he’s now only the 5th best striker. I’m not going to get rid of him. He might have only been good at one thing, but that thing was scoring goals. The star ratings have to be taken with a pinch of salt. However he has declined (very) badly this season, and I doubt he’ll be in the first 11 any more. He has a ‘match higher earner’ clause in his long term contract which I need to get rid of, as I have no intention of paying him the salaries that I’ll be paying to new arrivals. Also, if I can get someone to offer too much money for him, I will probably do that before anyone realises what a busted flush he is.

Now that we’re back sharing Stenhousemuir’s stadium, we sold out the 6k seats every single league match. The option for a new (or to be more exact our own) stadium isn’t available in the Boardroom interaction at the moment, but I want to bring in as much money as I can for when it is to limit the potential loan debt.

I have no internationals in the squad (although a central defender has just squeezed his way into the Czech Republic squad) and no Scottish players (although an under-18 and Welsh youth international player has duel Scottish nationality). He could be good, so I hope he waits to see if Scotland will give him a chance (my prejudiced assumption being that everyone would prefer to play for Scotland rather than Wales given the choice, even if they are like proper Welsh mun).

rlipscombe - Your new cyborgs look promising. good luck this season.

Almondo - Condolences.

iacovone - Have you considered a fire sale clear out? Natale does look good, but he seems to be doing the football equivalent of looking good on your arm and then shagging your best friend. "Judge ye them by their works.", as the big man said when he led Judea Disciples FC to the title in their legendary 33AD 'rising from the grave' season.

Kabajingal - Since i can't think of any slightly witty 'dunkirk spirit' comments - good luck!

If I( remember correctly Rlips PC doesn't quite have a good enough graphics card (or any at all :p) and makes his players look all weird like :p

that's right... when i play on the laptop they have normal faces but the PC ain't great graphics card wise...

It's been a while since i have posted in this challenge as its been a busy time of late and i have missed 3-4 pages of updates.

I've still continued with my game when possible and have an end of season update which i will post this afternoon.

Well done to everyone who is continuing to play this great challenge and i will try and catch up on how everyone is doing.

Archived