FM2012: Newcastle United thread - Triumphing by brave defending.....well maybe!

DandyDon

I used Ba as a deep lying playmaker attack and he performed a bit better but alot of his shots still go miles wide i used Cisse as a target man attack and he go a few goals playing in that role hope that helps

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

newcastleunitedfixtures.png

My team managed to bounce back from their horror show against Spurs with a 2-0 win over Sunderland, a result that owed as much to Bendtner's wayward finishing as to any of our players (the excellent Chris Brunt aside). We managed to scrape through against Notts County in the cup before putting in a much improved performance against Liverpool. The lads were coasting at 2-0 up in that game and dominating before Alderweireld got himself sent off for violent conduct, they managed to cling on despite the late pressure from Liverpool.

During the transfer window I'd settled on three possible targets for the left back spot and ended up buying Benoit Tremoulinas from Bourdeaux for £7.5million as he was the cheapest of the three by some margin (a 4th target became the latest victim of my cursed scouts as Jeremy Mathieu picked up a groind strain in the game being watched by Graham Carr). This meant I had some money left to spend after Ashley had increased the seasons expectation to Euro Qualification and added some more cash to the transfer kitty, so with Alderweireld banned for 3 matches and Steven Taylor nursing an ankle knock, I bought Ezequiel Munoz from Palermo for a very reasonable £3.7 million.

The loan addition of Danny Wellbeck is proving to be vital as he's run in to form at just the right time after Demba Ba suffered lower back stress fracture in training, his 5 goals in three games helped us to three straight wins and keeps us second in the table at the moment. However we've got some very difficult games coming up with matches against Man City, Arsenal and Everton amongst our next 5 league games.

Finished second season and finished 5th in the league, runners up in the league cup, and knocked out in the quarter finals, would off finished much higher in the league but i made a costly error and forgot about the african nations so that cost us my strike force.

Khoumar Babacar finished with apps 37(5) gls 26 asts 8 av r 7.31

Demba Ba finished with apps 41(1) gls 24 asts 14 av r 7.67

Papiss Cisse finished with apps 36(1) gls 19 asts 10 av r 7.17

Hatem ben Arfa finished with apps 38(3) gls 8 asts 22 av r 7.27

so during the summer i over hauled the squad.

2012031600001.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

2012031600002.jpg

I have finally got the second season started after spending ages looking through the player search, these are some of our transfers.

Major transfers in.

Davide Astori free

Coutinho free

Khouma Babacar free

McDonald Mariga free

Rene Adler free

Dodo free

Neuton £2.4m

Salomon Rondon £7m

Sergio Tejera £3.7m

Joe Allen £7.5m

Gabriel Silva £1.4m

Major transfers out

Leon Best £4.6m

Shola Ameobi loan fee £3m :eek:

Xisco £3.4m

Fabricio Coloccini £5.5m

Gabriel Obertan £8.5m

Danny Simpson £5.75m

Sylvain Marveaux loan fee £8m :eek:

I going to play a 4-4-2 narrow diamond and a 4-2-4 with two defensive midfielders this year and see if I can get a two striker formation to work. If I can't get them to work I'll probably switch back the 4-2-3-1, 4-2-3-1 deep and 4-5-1.

Can somebody post what kind of training are you using for Ben Arfa and Marveaux? I tried "Training-The Furious Way - Wing Developing" but both are unhapy with high training workload. Then I reduced overall workload and now they are saying that they are unhapy with their training schedule. Did anyone had any success with personalized trainings for mentioned pair? Thanks!

I've noticed a lot of players whining about training, but nothing ever comes of it. HBA is complaining about the schedule I'm using for him, but he's playing well, improving at a steady rate and even has "is enjoying playing for the club" in his information.

The less professional players get unhappy with training and won't develop as well if you have them doing too many things at once (eg. learning a new position, specific attribute training and learning a new ppm)

I can't for the life of me get two forwards to play well together :(, I have tried pretty much all the different roles within the tactic creator. It seems one forward will play well but his strike partner will have a stinker for the majority of the games. So although we are performing well I am not happy so I will try a 4-2-3-1 but the one with three attacking midfielders for a change and not the 4-2-3-1 deep or 4-2-3-1 wide.

When I get to the January transfer window in a couple of months, I will now try to sell one of my four forwards, Salomon Rondon, Demba Ba, Papiss Cisse and Khouma Babacar. Due to his great form so far Salomon Rondon will be the only one who is guaranteed to stay with the other three battling for there futures at Newcastle United.

So for a update on my save I have done two successive 5th place finishes. Wich in itself I think is quite good. Albeit I wasn't particularly happy with Demba or Papiss so flogged them of for 12 mill each to promote my freebie Khouma Babacar and Odion Ighalo. As a backup to them I got Adam Campbell who has come along greatly and resembles more and more like Walcott and his blistering pace. Mattia Destro has also come to the club as a backup for Khouma and are doing nicely.

What has been a hump in the road earlier has been the Europa league, which hampered the form of my players and made them awfully jaded. Now however the third season I got the more hang of it playing the kids in the league cup and Europa league aswell as the beginning stages of FA cup. Hope my players can keep on going at this rate because I'm 2nd in the league on goaldifference behind a freescoring City atm.

Was the scouting bug fixed in the patch?

Just decided to get back into my old Newcastle save.. won't be starting a new one due to the excellent regens who are currently breaking into the first team. Also just agreed to sign Pedro from Barcelona, tried to sign him before but they kept rejecting.

Was the scouting bug fixed in the patch?

Just decided to get back into my old Newcastle save.. won't be starting a new one due to the excellent regens who are currently breaking into the first team. Also just agreed to sign Pedro from Barcelona, tried to sign him before but they kept rejecting.

Yes. I've actually been able to sign some good scouts now I've started a new save!!

yaaaay finally have some decent scouts! Just offered a contract to some regen Striker/AML from Inter who i've been trying to sign for years too, he's 18 now and only cost £5.4m despite being offered out at £16m. Can finally sell Jonas, will get rid of LuaLua and probably Tiago Alves too.

Making slow progress on my save at moment...mostly as I'm trying to plow through Mass Effect 1 & 2 again before playing number 3.

Somehow still in second place in the league at the end of March, but did get knocked out of the FA Cup by Nottingham Forest in the 6th Round after choosing to rest certain players and it seems to have knocked us out of our stride as we've since drawn a couple of very winnable league matches since then.

Hi all -i'm about start a save with my beloved NUFC and wanted to know how the youngsters are fairing up? I saw some posts earlier which gave the impression improvements have been made in light of the latest update. Sammy Ameobi i saw looked like he's been given a bit of lift - he's his potential?

Been deploying a 4-4-2 with some success of late sitting nicely in 2nd place with 5 games to go. Looks like Man City is going away with the title though. I am looking to convert to a 4-2-3-1 deep formation. But really struggling and in twist because of Adam Cambpell. Just can't see him leading the line alone so wondering about retraining him to a AMR.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/405/adamwf.png/

Right just started my newcastle league near the end of the first transfer window so heers a run down of transfers in and out

IN

filp holosko - loan from besiktas

elias hernandez - 650k from tigrez

guti - free transfer

paul pogba - loan from man utd

jerson cabrel - loan from feyenoord

daley blind - loan from ajax

yaya sanogo - loan from auxerre

yannis tafer - loan from lyon

tomas rosicky - loan from arsenal

OUT

sammy ameobi - loan to crystal palace

shola ameobi - 2mill to birmingham

peter lovenkrands - 1mill to stoke

james perch - 1.5mill to reading

paul dummett - loan to hartlepool

ryan donaldson - loan to gateshed

greg mcdermott - loan to gateshed

conor newton - loan to gateshed

Finally have Pedro and this regen.. will post a picture of him and my other regens tomorrow. Also been offered M'Villa for £30m or so.. might as well buy him too :D, especially as Tioté will be out for a few months with a torn hamstring.

Finished my first season as Newcastle and really enjoyed it, finished 7th in league and won League and FA Cup!!!

I only signed Guti first season.

Looking for some players now second season. Thinking I need a Left back and Right Midfielder. Any recomandations?

What's your budget? I signed Dimitri Payet for £14.75m and he's been great.

So far in January 2015 i'm 3rd in the League where my form has dropped, drawn against Sunderland in the away leg of the League Cup semi final, lost to Derby 1-0 at home and drew 2-2 away at Norwich.

My line up now is:

GK: Krul/Otero

RB: Casannova/Santon

CB: Evans/Perez/Coloccini

CB: Taylor/Musacchio/Coloccini

LB: M'Bengue/Luna

DMC: Cabaye/Gosling

DMC: M'Villa/Tiote

AMR: Pedro/Payet/Ellison

AMC: Illicic/Ben Arfa/Vuckic

AML: Jovetic/Jonas/Buccino

ST: Damiao/Fierro/Ellison/Buccino/Tiago Alves

All of those regens are 2* PA, except Casannova who is 3.5* PA

If following these threads has made me realise one thing, its that there needs to be bigger penalties against people who drastically reform and rebuild the entire team within a season or two (even more so when its done every 2 seasons).

If following these threads has made me realise one thing, its that there needs to be bigger penalties against people who drastically reform and rebuild the entire team within a season or two (even more so when its done every 2 seasons).

I agree i dont see the point in starting with newcastle if your just gonna sell everyone and build a brand new squad im just starting my 4th season now and still have 8 current newcastle players in my first team and i finished 3rd in the league last season.

leaguetableic.jpg

And here is my current first team squad

leaguetablejr.jpg

I finished my first season yesterday. I came 2nd after a close run-in. Scoring goals wasn't a problem but my defence was leaking goals left, right and centre although that improved a little once Kana-Biyik was signed in January.

englishpremierdivisionsk.png

These are the player stats for the season:

nufcsquads1.png

So far I've signed Enoh and Astori on free transfers and Reale for a little under 1m (825k iirc). I'm working on getting Muniain to SJP but it's a tough one as I've only got 17m budget and they want 21m even though he is transfer listed. I don't really want to buy in installments as I want to keep it realistic and do it the MA way.

I agree i dont see the point in starting with newcastle if your just gonna sell everyone and build a brand new squad im just starting my 4th season now and still have 8 current newcastle players in my first team and i finished 3rd in the league last season.

i believe the point is that newcastle are clearly underachieving , and have done for many many years given the size of the fanbase and club and that they are a perfect team to try an rebuild from the ground up

End off 2nd season an finished 3rd in the league, went out in the quarter final off the league cup to championship side leicester losing 1-0 with a 2nd string team and 4-2 to west ham in the fa cup 5th round, i wanted to try an win the fa cup but due to that game bein inbetween euro cup games i played a 2nd string side an lost, i went out off the euro cup at the 2nd ko round losing to inter on away goals, i was cruising 2-0 in the first leg till cabaye was sent off an only managed to win 3-2 an had santon sent off aswell so finished game with 9 men, lost 2nd leg away 1-0,

Major transfers in:

jose angel - 7.5m

andrea bertolacci - 825k

mario balotelli - loan

vaclav kadlec - 4.5m

carlos fierro - 1.3m

quite a few regens aswell

transfers out:

sylvain marveaux - loan 625k

james perch - loan 130k

shane ferguson - loan 95k

danny simpson 4.6m

leon best - 3.2m

tamas kadar - 2.9m

jonas - 8.75m

gabriel obertan - 4.2m

hopefully i can pick up some silverware this year, going to try an stick with senior players i have an only sign youngsters for the future

I don't think you can deliberately penalise folks playing the game just because they don't play it the way you feel it should be played. They paid their money for the product, they are entitled to manage the club in the way they see fit.

I've no problem with it taking longer for a squad to take longer to adjust to tactical instructions or being slower to find their form if you've made massive changes, but actual penalties just because you bought 11 players in your first season instead of 3......sorry, but no.

@shoonaldo

Anyway you can use a little of the wage budget to increase the transfer cash? I had to pay £31.5 mill for Iker on my Arsenal save in the third season and he was only that cheap because he had a release clause.....£21 mill sounds like a bargain for him :p

Cracking player regardless once he adapts to life in the Premier League.

In the end I managed to get him for 20m and 60k wages after selling a few players. Still got 3m left to spend but I'm pretty happy with the squad now.

newcastletransfershisto.png

Just beat the mackems 3:0 at home to start the season. Two goals by Demba and one Steven Taylor. That's 11 goals in three matches against them. Wish there was a derby every week.

Been looking to get stuck into a new save for a while, a think I've finally found it. Downloaded a save game of Cleon's from a post in the tactics forum on Swansea to have a look at a few things, and low and behold I find that Newcastle have been relegated! So added my manager into the game in charge of the soon to be Championship Newcastle side.

Should be quite an interested challenge, the side is yet to be adulterated with AI transfers and has the basis of a good Premier League side, so the Championship should be very interesting. Somehow the AI combination of Pardew and Andre Villas-Boas consipred to relegate a side that should be worth of Champions League qualification under any human manager. Only been in charge a matter of days at the moment but it looks like I shall face a tough challenge in keeping hold of the bigger names at the club, already rejecting numerous bids for Cabeye, Tiote and Cisse.

Despite the catastrophic implication it will have on finances I will try my hardest to keep hold of as many players as I can, and I just hope that Ashley doesn't sell behind my back. I don't expect many of these players will be very happy with not allowing them to leave, but I do quite like the idea of blowing away a Championship with this sort of side; and I expect the moral will soon rise once the wins start coming. Hopefully I'll be able to move on one or two players that aren't in my long term plans, but will try and keep transfers to a minimum. Due to me now being in the Championship now I'm not going to have a wealth of quality to bring in as any sort of player that I'd bring in now wouldn't cut it in the Champions League side that I aspire to be within 2-3 seasons (Victor Moses, Wayne Routledge, Chris Wood etc. etc.)

So will be posting a few updates now and again, and will hope I find this save just as successful and enjoyable as my last Newcastle save, although I doubt I'll be managing with Messi and Ronaldo any time soon!

Here's the bottom of the league, doesn't even look as if they put up a good fight against the drop! Looking forward to a goof promotion fight with Sunderland hopefully.

7011460397_602c1753e5_b.jpg

English Premier Division (Overview_ Stages) by TRichardsss, on Flickr

Edit; Started a Newcastle save that seems to be taking shape. So above isn't at all relevant for time being, stay tuned.

Newcastle-United-Logo.png

Newcastle United #2 - 2011/12

My second save with Newcastle now. The first was interesting to say the least, but eventually wore thin. Still play the odd game now and then with it, and always head t that team when I want to test anything tactically out with Mr. Messi, Ronaldo and co. Have been keen to make a save with Newcastle, mainly due to the arrival of Papiss Cisse; his arrival should allow me to build a system around a front two, something that I can't say I've ever done with any thought or purpose. This time around I shan't be filling the side with too many new faces, too quickly; determined to maintain some realism and build the foundations of a top side through players that I previously cast aside in my last Newcastle save.

Transfers

Only brought one new face in during the first window - Guti. Always used to fill the side with new faces at the earliest opportunity and stamp my mark on a side as soon as possible, but have recently stopped doing this. Personally it became boring for me, I find it takes away the challenge of molding a winning formula into the side you have been given. May look to buy in January depending on how I am doing and the team is performing. I have various players in mind that I would like to bring in for next season, and a good idea who I shall be shifting.

Tactical Approach

Drawn between a rock and a hard place here; firstly I want to play Cisse and Ba upfront together, but conversely I love to build a possession based system with any team I manage, and get Cabeye to rack up the passes in the midfield, and thirdly I'd also like to get the best out of Ben Arfa if I can, somehow! So the first system with the Senegalese strike force will see me try to built a system that will emphasis the wings whilst having a strong foundations in midfield of Cabeye and Tiote. The second of which will see me look to base my play around Cabeye, and Ben Arfa - but only one of the two Demba's.

Start of the Season

6873053484_a3a41db50b_c.jpg

Great results against Man City, Liverpool and 5underland bode well; mainly because they were all at St. James', and I'm yet to find any form on the road so far. Beginning to iron out the tactics, so hopeful that I can go on a decent run of good results. Papiss Cisse has started off the campaign in good stead, with 5 goals in 7(2), as has Demba Ba with another 5 goals in 9(1) appearances. A few of those games have been played out on the left to little to no affect in an attempt to field both forwards along with a midfield three. Cabeye and Tiote have been steady within my midfield, seeing the odd appearance from Danny Guthrie and even James Perch! Yes, James Perch! For the first time ever, instead of selling him, I've actually given him a game or two; he's done alright, seems to be decent enough to do a job across various positions. New signing, Guti has become an unmitigated disaster! Great technical ability, yet an inability to run, move or even try saw him bypassed in almost every pre-season friendly I fielded him in, and even the League Cup games. Just as soon as he got here, he now wants out, and declares that he is leaving on a free at the end of the year - damn straight you are! At the back I've had injuries to both Taylor and Colo; Colo being a long term injury of a few months has seen Mike Williamson come in and shine, as did the absence of Taylor to Tamas Kadar, who managed to put in four decent performances when partnering Williamson.

Hatem Ben Arfa is proving to be the mercurial enigma that he always seems to be with me, whilst I'm rapidly losing patience with Gabriel Obertan and his lack of a final product. On a more positive note I feel I may just be getting the best from HBA; last two games have seen me play him behind Demba Ba, and he has duely responded with 3 assists and a goal - the goal coming from a fantastic dribble though 5underland's back line and a unstoppable finish. Think the trick I seem to have found his to limit any roaming, whilst giving him as much creative freedom and dribbling as he likes. As for Obertan, he seems to be causing problems for deference somehow, but not quite sure either he or I know how. A terrible decision making coupled with high flair means you don't really know what he is to do at any given moment. He struggles to get over 60% passing when everyone around him is in high 80s/low 90s, so a new right winger is top of my transfer list. Junior Hoilett should be available on a free in a few months, so may plump for him.

I'll leave you with this nice 5-0 victory over rivals 5underland. Brought on a less than match fit Ameobi for the last ten minutes, and I guess he just loves scoring against Sunderland - making it his 50th goal for the club.

7019158411_d5b0b4d7cd_b.jpg

Just hit November in the third season after a fantastic second season which resulted in us being Europa League winners and (via some form of miracle) the Premier League winners.

The team's lining up as follows:

---------------------Tim Krul

Santon-------- Colo ----------Astori--------- Didac

--------------Tiote ------------Cabaye

HBA---------------------------------------- Ash Young/Jonas

--------------Ba------------ Cisse

Haven't felt the need to tinker much with the team as a whole, as you can see only three players who've been brought in to change from the original squad. The depth in the team has been massively improved with signings such as Jay Spearing from L'pool, Luuk De Jong among others.

Just posting mainly to mention an HBA masterclass V Porto in the Champions League. We won 5-2 with HBA setting up each one of our goals taking his total season assists up to 11 in 16 games as well as 3 goals.

Cisse is unsurprisingly top goal scorer with 15 in 17 games, Demba Ba second with 10 goals in 9 games (had a few injuries annoyingly). This is continuing on from their outstanding form in the previous season where Cisse scored 52 in 52(2) games and Ba with 42 in 47(8).

Can not recommend the following roles for these players highly enough:

HBA - On the right wing as an Advanced Playmaker attack, wide play switched to normal rather than cut inside.

Demba Ba - Complete Forward support. He's involved in everything and gets him plenty of goals.

Cisse - Poacher. Look at the stats.

Cabaye did well as Advanced Playmaker support for me, but having now changed him to CM support, he's even better. In 16(2) he's already hit 6 goals and 7 assists when last season in the playmaker role he managed 49(4) games with 6 goals and 20 assists. In less than 1/3 of the games he played last season he's already hit the goals and is chipping in with a decent number of assists.

@james_wilko

Good see you getting Ben Arfa playing for you. Have only been able to get one or two decent performances from him. Conversely have managed to turn Obertan into a flying right winger; an absolute animal outwide, terrorising left back after left back. Hopefully I'll be able to find a spot for Ben Arfa in my side, as he's quickly becoming one of Newcastle's best players in real life.

Despite my success I've kept Obertan, he proved himself more than capable during Ben Arfa's initial absence and has stepped up when I've needed to either rest HBA or he's been injured. I find his pace when brought on at the back end of a game ruins defences and as I keep the RW forward during defensive corners, he's ideal on the counter attack.

Newcastle United #2 - 2011/12

Mid January now, and have been in terrific form since the start of the season. As you will see, a humbling 5-1 defeat to West Ham away knocks us out of the Carling Cup. Had, what I perceived to be a comfortable 2-0 first leg lead, so filled the side with players who could do with a game - and it turns out West Ham absolutely destroyed us. Other than that I am pleased the efforts; 3-0 win at home to Man United, and the away wins against Arsenal and Man City being most admirable. Sounds obvious, but have found in previous saves the importance on picking up points against the 'big teams' when you are trying to break into the Champions League places; at the moment I am doing so, and looking good for a continued assault on Champions League places. Man United and Tottenham look to be running away from the chasing pack, so a title cntention this year seems to be too ambitious now; probably due to a sloppy first few games.

Team wise, I seem to have settled on a 4-4-2 with attacking full backs and wingers; I use this set up both home and away against most teams in the league, individually tweaking as I go. So far Demba Ba has been my stand out goalscorer - 13 so far, with Cisse trailing with 8. Gabriel Obertan has been the surprise package I think. Despite his sporadic decision making he always seems to beat his full back and can be a danger with his pace and directness.

League Table so far

7021812707_fde958b4bb_b.jpg

Results since last post

6875711506_d544f76f46_b.jpg

January Transfer Window

Pleased with how the team is performing so far, so haven't really felt the need to bring anybody in. Saying that, I have brought in PSG winger Nene in on loan until the end of the season. Hopefully he will hit the ground running and give me a similar threat on the left than I have on the right wing with Obertan; which is something that I have missed, due to Guttierrez not really posing much of a threat, and a hit and miss Ben Arfa. Looking towards next season, I have begun recruitment - with Sime Vrsaljiko joining at the end of the season for £3.1M; as will Karim Ait Fana, who rejected contracts from Lyon and Valencia to join us. Unless Danny Gurthrie puts in a few better performances, I don't think I'll be offering him a new contract - so he will likely leave at the end of the season, along with Kadar, Lovenkrands etc etc. Therefore I'll be looking for a center back to add cover, and a new center midfielder most likely. Have scouted James Tompkins, but he seems to be a bit costly at £6.2M, and Cristian Eriksen from Ajax looks to be top of my list, along with Glyfi Suggurdson and James McCarthy of Wigan. Have already rejected bids upwards of £10M for Yohan Cabeye, along with numerous bids for Tiote from PSG; interest is growing in Demba Ba from Liverpool as well, along with others in Krul. Shan't be selling any of the aformentioned any time soon! Oh, pleased to announce Guti has left the club on a mutual termination - having made three league sub appearances, one league cup start. He'll no doubt go down with Luque, Xisco, Dumas, Marcelino, Tomasson to name but a few other Newcastle transfer disasters. Dear, o dear.

In my third season with Newcastle, really struggled to develop Mehdi and Harris. Campbell is finally improving after 2 years of nothing. Of the original squad only Steven Taylor, Krul, HBA, Ba, Santon, Tiote and occaisonally Gosling still play. Sadly Cabaye went to Man U, Cisse was terrible so I sold him, he then turned into a goal machine.

I don't think you can deliberately penalise folks playing the game just because they don't play it the way you feel it should be played. They paid their money for the product, they are entitled to manage the club in the way they see fit.

I've no problem with it taking longer for a squad to take longer to adjust to tactical instructions or being slower to find their form if you've made massive changes, but actual penalties just because you bought 11 players in your first season instead of 3......sorry, but no.

Missing the point.

Is it realistic that a team of 5-6 new players will instantly gel and play well together within 2-3 weeks?

Villas-Boas tried to change things too soon at Chelsea and that was only 2-3 players and a change in playing philosophy. Look how quickly things went bad there.

Current players very rarely react to the constant change of new players coming in.

Likewise there's no positive benefit to teams that have kept the same core squad together for a long time. Take Swansea as an example in the real world. They've been together for a long time, the same core players, and their football has developed as a team. Their players may not be world beaters, but their chemistry together allows them to overcome teams. Similar Barcelona have been together for a long time, which allows them to play their faster football as their understand each other's queues and signals.

Newcastle United - 2011/12 End of Season - Season Results

Premier League; 6th - Carling Cup; Semi Final - F.A Cup; Quarter Finals

6878520520_f6582574bd_b.jpg

Quite content with the finish, only just losing out on a 5th place on goal difference. Seems to have been a highly competitive league this season, both for the title and 4th spot. Have qualified for the Europa League, so that is a good segway into the Champions League, from which I hope to qualify for next season. Disappointing in the cups, through away a place in the League Cup final after a disastrous second leg at Upton Park; and lost on penalties after a replay to West Brom.

Players

Demba Ba will be the stand out performer, finishing top scorer in the league with a 28 league goals in 34(2) appearances. Gabriel Obertan would have been my player of the season personally, for the shear surprise package he turned out to be. He was utterly useless in my last save, but this season he return 11 goals and 13 assists. Mayor dissapointment would be Papiss Cisse; Ba seemed to steal the show, and was eventually played alone when Cisse picked up an injury towards the end of the season. Only brought in one player, well two if you count Guti; but Nene was the only player to be added to the starting squad, he joined on loan until the end of season in January and was a success. Therefore a few added players for next season should improve the squad no end.

Missing the point.

Is it realistic that a team of 5-6 new players will instantly gel and play well together within 2-3 weeks?

Villas-Boas tried to change things too soon at Chelsea and that was only 2-3 players and a change in playing philosophy. Look how quickly things went bad there.

Current players very rarely react to the constant change of new players coming in.

Likewise there's no positive benefit to teams that have kept the same core squad together for a long time. Take Swansea as an example in the real world. They've been together for a long time, the same core players, and their football has developed as a team. Their players may not be world beaters, but their chemistry together allows them to overcome teams. Similar Barcelona have been together for a long time, which allows them to play their faster football as their understand each other's queues and signals.

Chris,

I don't know if I'm missing the point or not. Really depends on what you meant by 'bigger penalties' in your earlier post.

If you're talking about it taking longer in game for a squad to gel with each other and adapt to a managers' formations via match prep and taking longer to start playing consistently well, and current players reacting more negatively to change then no problem. As I said I'm all for that, that's a risk you take making lots of changes and we can all think of real life examples where it hasn't gone well. (I'm not sure the 2-3 new players coming in was really the problem for Villas Boas though, looked like it was more the failure get his ideas across to the existing squad and handling some of the long serving players rather poorly but I'm sure the Chelsea fans have debated that ad nauseum). I take it by the way that you meant there IS a positive benefit to keeping the core squad together?

However if you're talking about some other form of penalty enforced on transfer activity to stop people from making wholesale changes because you don't like that style of playing the game then I don't agree.

Nope, you read too much into it.

Basically team chemistry needs looking at for when you overhaul your squad season upon season. Does any team really sign 5+ new players every season? Not really. Match Prep should be more to do with long term team chemistry, rather than 3 formations your team knows (and then forgets during the off-season).

Nope, you read too much into it.

Basically team chemistry needs looking at for when you overhaul your squad season upon season. Does any team really sign 5+ new players every season? Not really. Match Prep should be more to do with long term team chemistry, rather than 3 formations your team knows (and then forgets during the off-season).

I tend to agree. I for one have been in the past, and still am to a certain extend of overhauling the playing staff of a club far too quickly; and adding in too many new faces. In previous saves I would have sold 10+ players from the club, then bring in 10+ players in replace of them. Very rarely, if ever you will see this is the top leagues. I think it's far too easy of FM to lose semblance of a side in pursuit of success. I mean it would be more than feasible to make 20 or so transfers in and out to the Newcastle side you start with and win the league title at a canter. This simply would't happen in real life. In saves now I very rarely make transfers in the first window, simply to add the realism of the the team that your managed. This for me, gives me a greater sense of achievement; from which I can then bring in my own players and build my own team.

Now just starting to find the winning formula in season 15/16. Having quite a few youngsters all from age 17-23 wich I'm blooding trough league cup, easier games in CL and starting phases of FA cup. Really struggled previous seasons with too little depth in the squad for challenging in everything. Allthough I finished 4th last season I managed to win the CL and league cup!

For a different note Adam Campbell at age 20 is now my main striker with redicoulus physical attributes making him the perfect poacher!

Archived