FM2012: Newcastle United thread - Triumphing by brave defending.....well maybe!

DandyDon

DandyDon - I'm definitely going to keep him. As you've suggested, I'm going to try and negotiate him down to at least 70k a week. I believe that he will be a prized asset to my side, henceforth my need to keep him. I've just freed up 30k on the wage budget too, with Steve Harper moving on to Southampton for £800,000. It also looks like my pursuit of Markel Susaeta has come to an end, in a less pleasing manner. He recently signed a new 3-year deal at Athletic which has probably erased my chances of signing him this summer.

I'm glad to hear that the financial situation isn't bad as I first though, cheers for that Dandy :) I'm sure the 'Sports Direct Arena' will be vital in the growth of my Newcastle side.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
is it normal for me to be getting messages bout possibly takeovers before preseason is even over? i cant remember if i may have edited ashley at some point in the past in a xml i have on ... i hate him with passion

I got the first sniff of a takeover halfway through the first season, but it was something like 3 seasons later and 6 or 7 failed attempts before one went through :p

One the other hand some posters got taken over pretty early on in 1st season by the first bidder...and some lucky so and so's got tycoons and consortiums rather than Coventry City's chairmen (not that I'm even a little bitter you understand....)

As ive mentioned... my goal in pre season was to get a tactic working that blends barca's superb passing game with some good old fashioned strong defending... the holy grail really..

and all pre season, while performing and winning.. I didnt really get the results I really wanted... well pre season was over.. and I had my first match against swansea (that other great passing team!) .. and here are the results...

RESULT:

newcastlevswanseainform.png

A resounding 4-0 victory!!!

THE ALL IMPORTANT ANALYSIS

newcastlevswanseastatsm.png

newcastlevswanseaanalys.png

As i hope the screenshot above shows, we dominated the Swans. Key points being:

• 62% possession
  • 87% passes completed
  • 96% headers won (solid CB partnership of big Dante and Colo with Tiote helping out)

Particularly pleasing was the work that Cabaye and Tiote put in.. their jobs arent the most glamorous but they are totally effective as can be seen by the key passes.

Same can be said of Pillud on the right hand wingback role... he bombed up the wing creating space for Montillo to cut in at every opportunity and causes havok.

anyway, i'll stop babbling on, just thought id share my my first experience of a tactic idea actually coming to fruitation exactly how i wanted it to :)

Welshace - A great start to the season and I'm glad to see your ethos of flowing, passing football integrated with defensive solidity looks to be working. Keep us updated on how it comes along, I'm eventually going to 'evolve' my tactical set-up to a more free-flowing, short passing game :thup: Here's my first signing of this 2011-2012 season;

younesbelhanda.png

Very pleased that Younès decided to join us over FC Twente, who he was in talks with. It is a loan deal for the moment, while I weigh up my options at least. I do have a 'buy now' clause of £3.5 million which I can cash in on at any time in the season. He will solve the dilemma of who to play at MR. I'm also in talks with Brighton & Hove Albion's young centre-half Lewis Dunk. I've had an inital offer of £1 million accepted, with £1.4 million coming over a period of 36 months & after 30 Premier League appearances.

Things are looking rosey :D

belhanda is a very solid buy llew.. and very in the spirit of newcastle too.. young talented and european :D

i was looking at dunk... but could only afford him or one of his teammates... so i went for caskey ... who looks decent :)

He's French-born too, which will allow him to ease in alongside the likes of Cabaye and Ben Arfa :cool:

Caskey's another player that I've been looking at: How much did you get him for? Anyway, despite me scouring Europe for players like Younès Belhanda, I want to sign British talent too, hence the deal for Lewis Dunk :D

@ welshace

Impressive start to the season there :thup: Hope the form continues, especially Cabaye and Tiote. Cabaye's workrate is one of the things that's most impressed me about him on FM (and irl as well to be fair). Nice debut hattrick for Rondon too :applause:

Andrew!

You've done well there to end the campaign at 3rd. Especially seeing that you overtook the big spending Manchester City :applause: Forget about the £63 million that United offer you, Tyneside is the place to be ;) Here's my latest set-back in my preparation for the new Barclays Premier League campaign;

steventaylorinjuryabdom.png

Stevie Taylor has now joined the likes of Jonás Gutiérrez and Hatem Ben Arfa on the long-term injury list. I'm tempted to bring in a temporary replacement through a loan deal but, I've still to evaluate my options with who I already have at my club and who I can bring in for a short period of time.

@Andrew

I'm surprised that right back is only rated as 2* for CA, looks like a very tidy player already :thup:

@Llew

Not having the greatest luck at the start of your Newcastle save so far....quite an injury list you're developing....did you bring some of the medical staff with you from the Emirates or something??? :p

Might be worth snapping up one of the freebies like Ivica Dragutinovic on a season long deal to provide cover. Though on my current Arsenal save the likes of Mario Yepes, Fabiano Santacroce and Tymoschuk are all experienced defenders available for loan

Well, I compared him to Santon and he was (marginally) better than Santon on everything except technique who is 2.5* CA so I think it's about right. Sold Simpson and Obertan, got Ben Arfa on a new 4 year deal and am half-looking for a back-up right winger. Other than that the only signings i'll be making will be youth players and possibly try and get Milevskyi out on loan/sold. Even though he scored the goals that got us into all 3 finals last year, he's 4th choice now with Fierro :(

@Llew

Not having the greatest luck at the start of your Newcastle save so far....quite an injury list you're developing....did you bring some of the medical staff with you from the Emirates or something??? :p

Might be worth snapping up one of the freebies like Ivica Dragutinovic on a season long deal to provide cover. Though on my current Arsenal save the likes of Mario Yepes, Fabiano Santacroce and Tymoschuk are all experienced defenders available for loan

My luck has been non-existant. But this is only making this save more enjoyable: Challenges to overcome! :D Why, what's wrong with the Arsenal Medical team, it's been great as of late... :rolleyes:

I've decided against signing another centre-half. I was hoping to sign someone on loan, but there appears to be no one of any experience or quality available. I do have Lewis Dunk, who's impressed in pre-season and looks increasingly suitable to deputise in the absence of Steven Taylor. I've also decided that once I complete my first Monthly Update on here, I'll be returning to my Juve save for a while :)

My luck has been non-existant. But this is only making this save more enjoyable: Challenges to overcome! :D Why, what's wrong with the Arsenal Medical team, it's been great as of late... :rolleyes:

I've decided against signing another centre-half. I was hoping to sign someone on loan, but there appears to be no one of any experience or quality available. I do have Lewis Dunk, who's impressed in pre-season and looks increasingly suitable to deputise in the absence of Steven Taylor. I've also decided that once I complete my first Monthly Update on here, I'll be returning to my Juve save for a while :)

Come back home. Come back to the Gooners!

Currently in the process of a board takeover, transfer embargo and everything :D

Only a local businessman though - Ken Hodcroft. Promised to wipe out all of the clubs debts, the only takeover i've ever had is a supporter's trust.

e: talks collapsed after one day -.-

toonintroduction.png

Pre-Season Update;

Pre-Season has finished and we're only a arms length away from the beginning of a new Premier League season; our first fixture is Mick McCarthy's Wolves. Here's what happened throughout the pre-season, what my first-team now looks like and what I have planned for the coming months.

Pre-Season fixtures an results;

fixturesandresults.png

I was impressed with our pre-season performance. We had some disappointing results, but we had some promising games too. I primarily tend to use pre-season as a period in which I can experiment with aspiring players, alternative tactics and to improve the general squad fitness. We did all of the aforementioned in a good fashion. As for individual performances, Sylvain Marveaux, Demba Cissé and Fabricio Coloccini all stood out while Lewis Dunk and Tim Krul gave good accounts of themselves. As a team we looked good to. My tactic and ethos began to attract some benefits and we played to a good standard of football. The future, especially the coming season, looks bright.

Line-Ups and Formations;

newcastlefirstxi442.png

Back-Up Formations: 4-4-1-1 and 4-1-2-3

A few final words...

Jan Vertonghen has arrived - Mr.Versatile himself as arrived at St.James' Park and has now become my first signing of note during the current Summer transfer window. My hand was forced on this deal though. I was hoping to hoard my Transfer kitty until January or next Summer and move for him then, but with Arsène Wenger keen on the Belgian, so much so he placed a £9 million bid, I wasn't prepared to let him go without a fight. He'll now become a integral part in my pursuit for European Football.

janverthongensignsforne.png

The 2011/'12 Season - What do we want? My objective this season is to take part in an exciting Premier League campaign, but emerge unscathed from a possible relegation battle. In reality, Newcastle have been the surprise package of this season and I would love to emulate that sort of Premier League form. All in all, as long as I achieve a top-half finish, the board will be happy despite knowing I can achieve bigger and better things.

HOWAY THE LADS!

Nice update Llew. Good to see Cisse getting amongst the goals pre-season, hopefully he can take that form into the hurly burly of the Premier League.

What's your squad for the 4-1-2-3?

Cheers :)Cissé was brilliant throughout our pre-season. He doesn't dribble with the ball often, but his off the ball movement is second to none on many occasions :thup:

As for my 4-1-2-3 formation, I presume by 'squad' you mean my preferred first XI using that tactic? Anyway, when everybody's fit, this is what I hope it will look like;

newcastlefirstxi4123.png

I'm currently retraining Younès Belhanda as a central midfielder, where he plays for Montpellier in reality, as I feel he has the attributes to do so. This tactic hasn't had much playing time, so I'm going to ease it in somewhat by playing it in the last 20 minutes of games along with FA and Carling Cup fixtures :thup:

toonintroduction.png

Monthly Update - August

This was my first month of competitive football. We had some tough games in the Barclays Premier League and Carling Cup. This month also saw the the closure of the Summer Transfer window. Here's what happened throughout August.

August - Fixtures and Results;

resultsaugust.png

All in all, I was pleased with our start to the Premier League campaign. We faced an organised Wolves side in our first fixture: to say the least, it was tough. Their impressive midfield dominated ours for the majority of the first-half, so much so, they opened the scoring through new signing Lukas Jutkiewicz. From the second half, we were the better side. With a few tactical modifications, we got the ball down and started to play. Our new attacking style opened up good scoring chances and Papis Demba Cissé, a striker who joined The Toon from SC Freiburg, opened his Premier League goalscoring account with a fantastic finish. The game levelled out after that as we managed to keep Wolves from adding another goal ||| Certainly a game of two halves. Next came Brendan Rogers' Swansea City. This was similar to the Wolves match in terms of happenings. Swansea had a firm grasp on the game, with their midfield trio of Ferrie Bodde, Jack Colback and Leon Britton passing the ball well. After a sloppy first-half on our behalf, we came out in the second-half a revitalised team as Demba Ba smashed home from a yard within the Swansea box - A solid victory! ||| Demba Cissé continued his good form with a goal, and the only goal, in our straight forward, if uninspiring, victory over Shrewsbury in the Carling Cup. ||| We then had a challenging away trip to White Hart Lane to play a Spurs side that sat in the lower echelons of the Premier League. It was always going to be tough, but we played well despite allowing two goals to be scored. Huddlestone smashed a goal from 18-yards, and Adebayor bagged another 15 minutes after half-time, but we responded well. Obertan, a substitute, was set through by an impressive Demba Ba and finsihed with aplomb, but his late goal came to no avail as we couldn't capitalise on a retreating Spurs defensive unit. Good performance which capped off a good month.

2011-'12 Summer Transfer Window | In's and Out's

In's;

JAN VERTONGHEN

AJAX & BELGIUM FEE: £9 million (£4.5 million upfront)

My marquee signing. My hand was somewhat forced in this deal as Arsenal moved for the player first, with Zenit St.Petersburg also stating an apparent interest, but Jan chose Newcastle over the latter two, citing 'challenging conditions' as the reason to why he moved. I did sign him for £9 million, the vast majority of that fee coming after league appearances and a certain duration of time, but I feel it's a move that will move the club forward as we look to reach European football. Top player.

LEWIS DUNK

BRIGHTON & HOVE ALBION & ENGLAND FEE: £1.7 million (£1.1 million coming over a period of 36 months)

This signing was made with one eye on the future. At 19 years old, Lewis can only get better. He already possesses some good attributes which me and my coaching staff can only build upon in an attempt to raise his stock within the Premier League. Mentally he leaves a little to be desired, but that's what makes him such a good prospect. He's almost like a clean slate, someone you can work on. Good signing.

YOUNÈS BELHANDA

MONTPELLIER & MOROCCO FEE: Loan Deal (£1.6 million fee) ~ Buy-Now clause of £3.5 million

With Hatem Ben Arfa missing due to injury and Jonás Gutiérrez set to be on the sidelines for a prolonged spell, it was only senisble to bring in a right-sided midfielder who could pose an attacking threat. After initially moving for Fulham's Clint Dempsey before contract negotiations broke down, Belhanda was the next on my list. He's a versatile, young, attack-minded wide midfielder who is equally adept to playing in the centre. A loan deal was the most logical of deals in order to see how he adapts to English football, but I'm sure I will make his move permanent sooner rather than later.

ALEX McCARTHY

READING & ENGLAND FEE: £1.2 million (£400,000 coming after 20 league appearances)

Another English youth international who has merged into my first-team set-up as players left. With Steve Harper on his way to South Coast surroundings, a new under-study to Tim Krul was much needed. I had a whole host of names to chose from, but Alex McCarthy was the best option in my opinion. With good ball skills, aswell as an ability to make fantastic saves, he'll be an integral part of my squad. Chances will be few and far between, especially with his lack of experience and Tim Krul ahead of him, he'll have to bide his time and take any given opportunity well.

Out's;

STEVE HARPER

SOUTHAMPTON & ENGLANG FEE: £800k

With Harper on £30k a week, I thought it was too much to fork out week in-week out for a player who would be nothing more than back-up player. I've replaced Harper with the younger Alex McCarthy who could potentially become an England international. I can only wish him good luck with Nigel Adkins' Southampton side.

NILE RANGER

PRESTON NORTH END & ENGLAND FEE: Season-long loan deal

I'm not Ranger's biggest fan, as I believe he can be a loose cannon for the majority of time, but maybe a loan deal at a nPower League One side could set him straight, so to speak. I don't foresee much of a future for him at the club.

A few final words...

Yohan Cabaye's French Connection - After Cabaye's impressive pre-season, he made two appearances in France's recent international friendlies, both as starters. I'm delighted to announce too that he scored his first senior French goal too. He scored against Chile, who are renowned to be a good team, and I can only hope he keeps his early season form going.

My pursuit of RSC Anderlecht's Dennis Praet - On the final day of the Transfer Window, I decided that I wanted to pursue anotehr Belgian, this one being Anderlecht's 16-year old Playmaker, Dennis Praet. The two parties managed to agree a fee of £800,000 with add-ons for young Praet, but sadly the deal couldn't be completed due to a lack of Transfer funding on our behalf. I will almost certainly be renewing my interest in the Winter.

'MON NEWCASTLE

Nice solid start there Llew, and a couple very winnable games before your trip to Chelsea :thup: (no disrespect to the Baggies or Blackburn, but you've got the home advantage)

Might be starting games slowly, but looks like the players are responding to your half time team talks at least :p

Nice solid start there Llew, and a couple very winnable games before your trip to Chelsea :thup: (no disrespect to the Baggies or Blackburn, but you've got the home advantage)

Might be starting games slowly, but looks like the players are responding to your half time team talks at least :p

Cheers :thup: I'm dreading the Chelsea game to say the least. Always a very though team to beat on FM, but with a few tactical tweaks, I'm sure I can pull off an upset!

One of my main problems at the moment is to loosen the shackles a bit. As you said, I'm starting games slowly, despite an attacking style of play. We need to be far more ruthless. I might go back on to my Juve save for a bit; I'll be back :D

Cheers :thup: I'm dreading the Chelsea game to say the least. Always a very though team to beat on FM, but with a few tactical tweaks, I'm sure I can pull off an upset!

One of my main problems at the moment is to loosen the shackles a bit. As you said, I'm starting games slowly, despite an attacking style of play. We need to be far more ruthless. I might go back on to my Juve save for a bit; I'll be back :D

I think as Cabaye, Belhanda and the Dembas get fully up to speed with the Premier League you'll probably see some faster starts :)

I'm off to dip back into the injury nightmare that my Arsenal save has become :eek:

quick update on my tactical mission... ive been trying to perfect a barcelona tiki taka style tactic and i think ive cracked it .. kind of... but more on the 'kind of' thing in a minute...

so... im getting on average 70% of possession each match.. give or take a few points depending on opposition... im also pretty much up to 90% pass completion..

ive also cracked the 100 passes a game per player goal ... cabaye and tiote are ruling the midfield against all opposition..

here's an example :

newcastlevportsmouthana.png

and this is the formation im currently using :

newcastleunitedtacticso.png

unconventional but it basically i was looking to reproduce the roles of the barca team...

ie: Cabaye = Xavi

Sigurdsson = Iniesta

Montillo = Messi

Willian = Sanchez

Now... this is obviously brilliant news indeed... it looks beautiful and it plays wonderfully.. the only issue?

goals :( .. im not getting enough CCC out of it , and i think its because of how narrow we are playing.. it forces snap shots and long shots whether i want them to or not, and one on ones are rare...

anyway... will update properly on my season so far later on tomorrow :) but after 9 games im sitting 3rd .. only lost 1

@welshace

Looks unconventional, but seems to be going great guns in terms of possession and passing. I'm sure the volume of chances will increase as your squad get fully familiar with it and you can switch the match prep focus to attacking movement.

Should mean an easy life for your defence if you're keeping hold of the ball to that extent :thup:

yeah it was a pretty conventional looking 4 2 3 1 with two cm's and aml, amr and amc ... but as i tweaked i realise the am's needed bringing closer together for short passing to work.. similarily i needed tiote pulled back to compensate for the congestion in the middle of the park... so i ended up with this lol .. works wonders though :)

After a few attempts at FM12 i decided to start a Newcastle save, have played up to January, heres an overview.

Signings In ______________Signings Out

Pieters - £3.1m - PSV________Lovenkrands - £1.5m - Ranger

Aldrete - £1.9m - Morelia_____Ameobi - £3.5m - Southampton

Plamen £500k - Levski________ Smith - £675k - QPR

Matterazzi - Free____________ Harper - £900k - Portsmouth

Tomkins - £3m - West Ham____Best - £3.5m - Southampton

Dawson - £4m - West Brom____Williamson - £3m - Southampton

Sow - £8m - Lille_____________Ranger - £1m - Peterborough

Wilfried - £2.5m - Vitesse______Perch - £1.4m - Birmingham

Diarra - Free_________________Coloccini - £8.5m - Man City

Belhanda - Loan - Montpellier___Raylor - £500k - Ipswich

I play a 4-4-2 with the wingers pushed up like this;

Krul

Santon Taylor Tomkins Pieters

Tiote Cabaye

Obertan--------------- Guitierez

Sow ---------Wilfiried

Completely gutted my staff and hired all new coaches, physios, scouts and Sammy Lee as my Ass Man.

Doing rather well in the league coming in 5th so far on 36 points, 10 wins, 6 draws and 3 losses (1st of Jan) Start of the season i managed 12 games unbeaten and managed last minuet draws against Arsenal and Manchester United (Vukic with last minuet goals!!) and almost drew against Manchester City and Tottenham. Sow is top scorer with 8.

Does anyone know how to get the best out of Ba, Wilfried and Ben Arfa? i'm struggling to get them to hit form.

Does anyone know what the budget may be on the January update? Having paid near £10m for Cisse, will there be much funds left to play around with?

Haven't played much this month, so will wait for a transfer update to start a new game with Newcastle. Already got a couple of signings in mind and who I'll try and get rid of.

Campbell didn't develop at all on my save, looked very promising at first when given some games, but attributes barely improved regardless of training routine or tutor.

Ended up focusing on other youngsters I'd bought in who seemed to develop faster. Might be that the patient approach I was trying with him isn't the way to go, could be a case of "chuck him in at the deep end" is the best way to go.

He's not developing so well on my save either (currently in 2013/14 season). On the other hand, made some excellent youth signings in the summer, definitely the best is my young Spanish goalkeeper, the next Iker Casillas.. bought him for just 900k and he's already 1.5* out of 4.5* PA, just made his first two starts.. byebye Forster :D

germnoterooverviewprofi.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I thought Mike Ashley would back me in the transfer market this season after finishing 4th, but nope! Best players were Taylor, Guiterez who scored 13 goals and Sow who scored 21.

Trying to flog Ben Arfa, Marveaux, Ba and Wilfried to raise funds and they were poor last season. Diarra and Materazzi's contracts expired and Sociedad signed Xisco.

I signed Eyong Enoh in the January transfer window and made Belhanda's loan into a permanent deal. I brought in Amauri on loan aswell and while not scoring his physicality brought the best out of Sow.

Brought in Boswinga, Heinze, Paloschi and Lodeiro on free's although Paloschi had a knee ligament injury and has lost alot of his pace :( also brought in Pandev and Ait Fana to supplement my january buys of Enoh.

Quick post guys - I'm in my first season (11-12) and can recommend Gabriel Silva, young left back from Palmeiras. No faults with this guy and he's developing well, all round. He's consistenly good and forever getting mentions in the press for all the good reasons.

:)

Quick post guys - I'm in my first season (11-12) and can recommend Gabriel Silva, young left back from Palmeiras. No faults with this guy and he's developing well, all round. He's consistenly good and forever getting mentions in the press for all the good reasons.

:)

I bought him on an earlier FM and forgot all about him this time round. He does look very useful this year. How much did you have to pay for him?

hey lads.... big update coming up soonish...

but im up to december first season and find myself comfortably in 4th place .. and going strong considering it was all a bit experimental with my tactics and players...

but suffice to say.. its going well with Rondon having scored 21 in 18 in the league alone before even the winter window opens and Gylfi's record is 8 goals and 9 assists in 17 games.... brilliant service id say :)

as i said. proper update on its way at some point

gladly will fella's ... i use two now... one is a TC made one so you can use shouts etc and one is a tiki taka style classic one i made ..

the tiki taka one is a bit fiddly as its set up perfectly for my own players to close in and create the pass and move style possession football ive shown in a few screenies here..

will post when i get a minute away from the mrs who's visiting ;)

...... annoyed does not cover how p***ed off i am....

save corrupted .. and i didnt have rolling saves on as i had to delete settings a while back to get rid of xml parsing errors... GRRRR

ahh well.. not playing again till new patch :(

Ouch, unlucky mate :(

Hope we'll see you back on here when the new patch arrives :thup:

Started a new game with NUFC using one of the transfer updates, which means Double Demba :D

IN:

Jordan Rhodes - P/Ex

Adam Vass - £900k

Erick Pieters - Ln fee £525k with an option to buy for £2m

Ivan Bandalovski - £85k

Taras Stepanenko - £3m

Craig Dawson - £3.8m

Karim Ait Fana - £5m

TOTAL - £13.25m

OUT:

Nile Ranger - P/Ex

Steve Harper - £2m

Mike Williamson - £5m

James Perch - Loan

Tamas Kadar - Loan

Peter Lovenkrands - £1.5m

Leon Best - £3.8m

Shola Ameobi - £4.5m

TOTAL - £16.75m

I didn't want to spend more than I received, but I think my squad is now strong enough for the season. I'm going to move Ryan Taylor on when he isn't injured and try to bring in another striker. When January comes I don't want to be relying on Jordan Rhodes for the entire month. Anyone got any suggestions for a cheap striker, preferably young, that would be happy to be a backup?

Archived