FM2012: Newcastle United thread - Triumphing by brave defending.....well maybe!

DandyDon

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ratings are spot on IMO, and on the Ben Arfa front, don't all stats, CA and PA get frozen if a player gets a long term injury?

Aaron Ramsey comes to mind, sure he wasn't altered at all last year when he broke his leg, hence him being a -10 2 years in a row.

Is it just me, or has Marveaux had a massive stat drop since FM11?

At work at the moment, so can't compare and contrast Marveaux to last years model. Looked pretty decent on the Demo I thought, slightly better than I was expecting I think.

Can't wait for the full game now, so I can load up a good few leagues and cast my net far and wide for some decent left backs:D

Really don't want to have to pay Wayne Bridge's wages if I can avoid it :p

Originally quoted by TheUsualSuspect9

Also got Van der Wiel lined up to come in January, even though I probably won't carry on when the full game is out.

Any questions, fire away

How much did Van der Wiel cost you and what wages did you negogiate him to?

Looks like corners are going to be source of easy goals again this year...going by the rate my defenders were scoring from them, and 20 goals for Steven Taylor above.

What formation did you go for UsualSuspect?

4-2-2-2

GK

DR

DC

DC

DL

MC

MC

AMR

AML

ST

ST

How much did Van der Wiel cost you and what wages did you negogiate him to?

£15m over 48 months

Basic he will be on £40k + £20k per appearance

At work at the moment, so can't compare and contrast Marveaux to last years model. Looked pretty decent on the Demo I thought, slightly better than I was expecting I think.

Can't wait for the full game now, so I can load up a good few leagues and cast my net far and wide for some decent left backs:D

Really don't want to have to pay Wayne Bridge's wages if I can avoid it :p

Don't actually think he's changed much, I was confused between the starting Marveaux and the one I'm used to, 6 seasons in. Nvm :s

Not had much time to play so far and am only 10 days in. My only two signings are Jelle Vossen and Jlloyd Samuel and taken James Beattie on trial. Stupidly, I turned down £8.5m for Coloccini, which looking back I could have used to sign Ridgewell and Wheater so I'd at least have some depth. Ah well. On the plus side, I've had 2 man of the match performances from Obertan, which I assume is good after reading someone couldn't get him to perform? (I think).

Gaz,

I had a couple of good appearances from Obertan, but a couple of stinkers as well. I'll assume he has a low 'Consistency' attribute, he made for quite a useful impact sub in some games, coming on with his pace against a tiring full back. Scored couple cracking goals cutting in from the wing

i have been puzzled by how some of you guys have been able to make big-money signings! i have tried offering money on monthly installments, but the deals always collapsed due to lack of funds. anyone able to shed some light on the matter?

anyways, here's my transfer dealings by the end of the demo. shipped out most of whom i considered to be deadwood to free up wages and bump up my transfer kitty to achieve a rather respectable squad, which helped me finish a very respectable 4th at the end of december.

IN:

Daniel Sturridge (Loan)

Jack Collison (4.5m)

Wilfried (2.5m)

Sime Vrsaljko (800k)

Siphiwe Tshabalala (325k)

Jan Vertonghen (8m)

Total: 16.25m

OUT:

Shola Ameobi (3.4m, Southampton)

James Perch (1.1m, Birmingham)

Mike Williamson (3.2m, Palermo)

Peter Lovenkrands (1.3m, Sporting)

Alan Smith (1.2m, QPR)

Ryan Taylor (1.8m, Ipswich)

Tamas Kadar (1.5m, Ipswich)

Shane Ferguson (2.2m, West Ham)

Danny Guthrie (2.1m Cardiff)

Total: 17.75m

Squad 4-4-2

Krul, Vrsaljko, Coloccini, Vertonghen, Santon, Gutierrez, Cabaye, Tiote, Tshabalala, Ba, Wilfried

Squad 4-2-3-1

Krul, Vrsaljko, Coloccini, Vertonghen, Santon, Cabaye, Tiote, Gutierrez, Ben Arfa, Tsabalala, Wilfried

i used 4-4-2 at the beginning, and got very decent results. and when ben arfa returned from injury, i would play the 4-2-3-1 with him against weaker opponents. otherwise, i'll stick to the 4-4-2 and change to a 4-2-3-1 with ben arfa coming on some time in the second half to terrorise the tiring opposition defence. with this squad, i have got good cover in every position except at left back. in defence, harper, steven taylor and danny simpson are cover, and i have also trained simpson to be accomplished at left back. in midfield, collison and gosling covers the centre midfield positions, while obertan, marveaux and vuckic give me depth in attacking midfield. up front, i have sturridge and best waiting in the wings.

cabaye has been dominant in centre midfield, where he has provided 13 assists from 16(3) games. wilfried is the standout player with 17 goals and 4 assists from 16(1) games. Ba chipped in with 10 goals and 4 assists in 16 games. coloccini has been a rock at the back, while also contributing 7 goals in 22 appearances. sure hope they repeat or better their performances on the actual game!

Question: Is the Newcastle squad overrated or fair? I don't know if FM has taken the club's current form into account but Newcastle look a bit too good to me.

Jonas has been given a decent stats boost compared to FM11, Ben Arfa hasn't decreased whatsoever despite a major injury + a new niggle, Cabaye has gone up ma-hoosively compared to FM11 too and tbh Obertan on every single version has stats much better than his ability - oh and add in that Tim Krul looks like a cracking keeper at just 23 and Demba Ba as a very handy poacher. Finally centre back choices are fairly capable in Steven Taylor and Williamson.

9 million for transfers to take into account + planning on selling a couple of players I consider as deadwood... Am I being unrealistic in thinking that some good management could earn a champions league spot in the first season?

cry some more

Hi all!

Could anyone tell me what the different transfer and wage budgets would be depending on Season expectation. I've seen at the top of the thread it says 8 mill is the standard but I dont know anymore than that!

Thanks!

MarkStewartNews_Inbox-5.png

You can push them up as far as £10.75 mill transfer budget and £850,000 if you promise to win the title, but be warned your job security will be very tenuous if you're not challenging at the top by the time the demo ends. I gave it a try with that budget and expectation and all through December, despite being in the top 6, I was seeing news stories about needing a good result in the next match or I'd be out of a job.

No, not really forums user DandyDon. Not really.

Well I'd say he's been more effective for me on the Demo than he has in real life. He's been an excellent defender for Newcastle since he arrived here, but on FM with his mix of attributes and the match engine he's a far more consistent threat in the opponents box. In real life he's got what 5 goals from 125 appearances for Newcastle?

On the demo as well as being highly consistent at the back for me, he's scored 5 goals in 18 appearances, and that's leaving free kick and corner kick routines on default.

FabricioColocciniOverview_Attributes.png

With stats like that I don't think it's exactly a far fetched claim to say he's even better on FM than he is in real life....

Just a few hours til release day, won't be playing til tomorrow but I can't wait. Already planning who to buy and sell, formation etc. What's everyone think of this:

Krul

Santon Colo Taylor (new if possible) Pieters

Tiote Cabaye

Obertan HBA Jonas

Ba.

Most likely sell the likes of Best, LOvernkrands, Guthrie, Raylor/Simpson and Smith if I can. Hopefully build up the funds to sign a better RW or CB.

Well looking forward to getting my copy tomorrow and saying cheerio to any semblance of a social life for the next wee while. :p

With a large database and a few leagues running I'll hope to scout out a bargain or two for the first transfer window. Main priority being a left back. Hopefully keep some funds for the January sales, if the demo was anything to go by there could be some interesting players listed by the end of December (Antonio Valencia, Ibrahim Afellay, Owen Hargreaves just a few of the familiar names listed by request on my current demo save).

I'll probably try to actively offload Lovenkrands, Smith, Perch and perhaps Guthrie (and no I doubt I'll get many takers for Perch...) and try and give Abeid, Vukic and Sammy a few more games than I have done so far.

I'm not going to be getting into my game until after work today but I can't wait to get my Toon game going!

I'm turning off transfer budgets in the first transfer window so everyone starts with their real life squads. Despite a fairly thin squad, Newcastle have a pretty strong starting XI this year. Once Hatem Ben Arfa returns from injury I'll be playing 4-4-1-1

Krul

Simpson Taylor Coloccini Santon

Obertan Tiote Cabaye Gutierrez

Ben Arfa

Ba

Until Ben Arfa returns I'll likely play 4-4-2 with Best/Ameobi partnering Ba up-front. 4-2-3-1 also appeals to me but I'm only likely to use that in Carling Cup games or games we're overwhelming favourites, at least initially.

Who is everyone playing as playmaker? I opted for Cabaye on the demo and he was really good but how effective have people found Ben Arfa or Marveaux in the same position?

Game just bought from Steam, have give it an hour or so this morning when I have had chance. Still to play a game but so far my dealings have been...

Staff

Sacked Carver (600k fee)

Signed Demichelis

Players In

Ganso - £23.5m (most over 48 months)

Shaqiri - £10m (most of 48 months)

Subotic - £12.5m (most over 48 months)

£46m Total (probably about £10m up front)

I seem to have slumped in to the Freddy Shepherd style of transfers - oops

Players Out (mainly to cut wages and fund the above)

Best - £3.7m

Lover - £1.8m

Williamson - £3.1m

Simpson - £3m

Harper - £500k

Jonas - £10m

Colo - £9m

Roughly £30m in - most monthly

Game just bought from Steam, have give it an hour or so this morning when I have had chance. Still to play a game but so far my dealings have been...

Staff

Sacked Carver (600k fee)

Signed Demichelis

Players In

Ganso - £23.5m (most over 48 months)

Shaqiri - £10m (most of 48 months)

Subotic - £12.5m (most over 48 months)

£46m Total (probably about £10m up front)

I seem to have slumped in to the Freddy Shepherd style of transfers - oops

Players Out (mainly to cut wages and fund the above)

Best - £3.7m

Lover - £1.8m

Williamson - £3.1m

Simpson - £3m

Harper - £500k

Jonas - £10m

Colo - £9m

Roughly £30m in - most monthly

I've made a feature request for Chairman PPMs, as in reality Mike Ashley would never allow you to do that. :)

Pulled my groin rushing back from town this morning to load the game, and it took nearly 2 hours to actually get the game installed and loaded!

Putting more priority into backroom signings so far than players, and have so far sacked and replaced all fitness and goalkeeper coaches and John Carver. Nothing personal, but my assistant from FM11 was in the game. And he's better.

I've made a move for Cheik M'Bengue though, anyone had any good experiences with him? I saw Sunderland were after him and I'd rather have a left footer playing at left back tbh.

Pulled my groin rushing back from town this morning to load the game, and it took nearly 2 hours to actually get the game installed and loaded!

Putting more priority into backroom signings so far than players, and have so far sacked and replaced all fitness and goalkeeper coaches and John Carver. Nothing personal, but my assistant from FM11 was in the game. And he's better.

I've made a move for Cheik M'Bengue though, anyone had any good experiences with him? I saw Sunderland were after him and I'd rather have a left footer playing at left back tbh.

Gaz, he wasn't on my Newcastle quickstart with the demo, but I loaded up a French quickstart and checked him out and he looks pretty useful. I'd say he would be a better option than playing Santon on the left all the time.

Erik Pieters seems really good at LB for me. Only cost 3 mil as well

I could never get PSV to accept less than £7.5 million for him on the demo...and only got that low if I offered it all upfront. They wouldn't budge below 11 mill if it included payment over 48 months.

@GeordieTodger

How did you get Ganso? He doesn't wanna know in my game.

I've got EPL, Spanish and Italian leagues loaded with large DB. What have you loaded?

I've loaded the large DB with only the English league as playable - mainly due to being on a bit of a rubbish PC. Other than that, no edits, changes etc - have only played the one game too, didn't try the demo.

I've signed M'bengue for the left back, but after a few days he got a 8 week injury! :(

Been playing a couple of games with him now though, playing stable.

How do you manage to sell players for a good price?

I can't sell anyone. Even if they are interested they wont pay me more than half of his value! :(

And then i see GeordieTodger sold both Jonas and Coloccini for almost double of there value?

I've loaded the large DB with only the English league as playable - mainly due to being on a bit of a rubbish PC. Other than that, no edits, changes etc - have only played the one game too, didn't try the demo.

I've tried tapping him up, but he doesn't wanna discuss terms. Anyone else able to discuss terms with Ganso?

As mentioned above, I have also had a clearout of my back team who quite frankly had shocking stats for coaches!!

I requested more coaches and Ashley agreed...I'm his best mate so far!

Coaches I got in are...

Hassler

Andy Cole (!)

Demichelis (Asst Manager)

Ayestaran

Bistazzoni

Bisciotti

Mark Chamberlain

Joe Corrigan

Bonini

Castellato

Phil Cannon (1st Team Coach)

With regard to the Ganso thing...I had said my season aim was to win the league...not sure if that makes me more appealing? Also, Man City had bid for him but it was rejected, I put a bid in and it was accepted.

Am currently playing a deep 4-2-3-1 formation...

Krul

De Silvestri - Subotic - Taylor - Santon

Cabaye (DLP) - Tiote (Anc)

Shaq (INF) - Ganso (Treq) - HBA (INF)

Ba (Adv)

I've signed M'bengue for the left back, but after a few days he got a 8 week injury! :(

Been playing a couple of games with him now though, playing stable.

How do you manage to sell players for a good price?

I can't sell anyone. Even if they are interested they wont pay me more than half of his value! :(

And then i see GeordieTodger sold both Jonas and Coloccini for almost double of there value?

I've always had a funny strategy of selling...I dump everyone I don't want in my reserve side and offer them all to clubs at 25% - 50% of their value. That normally shifts a lot of them, I also agree to anyone wanting me to contribute to their wages - simply to get them off the books! With regards to Jonas and Colo. I offered them both to clubs at £10m, thinking noone would want them at that price but it may invite larger than market value offers.

Tactics are always something that I have never grasped in FM. At the moment I'm just playing a formation that suits the players I have but as soon as something good is released on the forums I'll be all over it.

On a positive note, Subotic scored 2 in his first game. I see corner banging is still in the game, I haven't even looked at the corner settings either!

just a quick update. When I got home from work I started a new game on my PC with NUFC. I wanted to have more players, more leagues etc and my home PC is a lot better than the one in the office. Lo and behold Ganso no longer is interested on my new game with a few leagues selected...looks like I got lucky on my save from earlier today. Am going to start fresh anyway - Ganso was pants in the 4 games I played anyway ;-)

As mentioned above, I have also had a clearout of my back team who quite frankly had shocking stats for coaches!!

I requested more coaches and Ashley agreed...I'm his best mate so far!

How?? I've got him to agree to upgrade the youth facilities and organise a trial day, but as soon as I mention getting more staff, he gives me a big f*** you lol

How?? I've got him to agree to upgrade the youth facilities and organise a trial day, but as soon as I mention getting more staff, he gives me a big f*** you lol

I approached a coach and got vetoed saying I already had too many coaches, I requested more and he agreed - it is my one and only request mind so maybe that's why?

Archived