FM12 Tottenham Hotspur Thread- The Best Team In North London

• Replies 785
  • Created
  • Last Reply

with out asking for it the board has now decided to expand my stadium (perryman park) from 49.196 to 65.000. not sure if this good or bad. the cost will be 21 mill £ and i will lose just over 6000 seats for 6 months. the problem is with my monthly pay offs im bleeding money. hopefully the chairman will raise some money if needed ;)

Just about to start my second season with Spurs. First one i ended up in 4th one point ahead of Arsenal.. Who luckily lost the CL final to ManU, on penalties :p

Only player brought in worth mentioning first season was Douglas Costa from Donetsk for £7mill, totally worth it. Second best player first season i reckon, just keeps improving, and city hhave already made £20m bids for him.

Best player of the season was Adebayor, played him up front alone as a poacher, got me 32 in 34 in the league and won topscorer and golden boot. Had to sign him after the loan even though he demanded silly wages :/

Before this season i have brought in Di Maria for £8m and Otamendi for £12m. Di Maria looks class on the right flank and assisted Adebayor with 4 goals in my first friendly. Against a **** team, but Ade and Di Maria seems to find eachother well.

Anyone have any success with VdV? For me he was injured most of the season, only got 11(5) starts in the series, with 1 goal and 8 assists, but they were mostly from corners. Played him as an advanced playmaker, didn't seem to work all that well, any suggestions on how he should be used?

Only thing left before the season in to get some players out, but that doesn't seem to be too easy, they just want the players i don't wanna sell. Still using Assou as left and Walker/Corluka as right back, should get someone in there aswell. Guess that will have to wait a season or until january.

edgar555: thank you! played him like you said and with modric behing as dpl seem to be working great, lot of assists from both of them, and some goals aswell. 8 of 8 won in the series so far including 7-0 to ManCity and 5-0 to Aston Villa, looks to be a good season :)

I'm also playing a 4-2-3-1 formation. That's a deep lying playmaker + box to box midfielder (ball winning if I'm away from home against tough opposition). Then two inside forwards and an attacking midfielder with a complete forward up front.

Playing this formation has produced: 61 goals for, 12 against in 20 games.

Season 1 for me at the moment. Doing very well. Top after 16 games with 41 points (just the single defeat in the Prem).

Have to say van der Vaart is ridiculous in the attacking mid position.

I'm also playing a 4-2-3-1 formation. That's a deep lying playmaker + box to box midfielder (ball winning if I'm away from home against tough opposition). Then two inside forwards and an attacking midfielder with a complete forward up front.

Playing this formation has produced: 61 goals for, 12 against in 20 games.

Season 1 for me at the moment. Doing very well. Top after 16 games with 41 points (just the single defeat in the Prem).

Have to say van der Vaart is ridiculous in the attacking mid position.

I knew you'd be on these forums somewhere. :)

Nice goalscoring in the 4231 mate.

Just played my first competitive game of the season. Home to Everton. Won 5-4. Very Spurs, with Pav getting the winner in the last seconds of injury time.

Have made a signing. Matty Phillips from Blackpool, £3m. Not gonna set the world on fire but scouts reckon he'll be better than Azza eventually. That'll do for me.

Normally when the new game comes out, I go straight to the editor and change quite a lot, but this year I have just changed our

finances added a sugar daddy, made realistic adjustments to Carroll and livermore, gave bale more pace, started the game and Levy

gave me £53 mill transfer kitty, Bought Leighton Baines, £15 M Dario Srna £9 m Leandro Damio,£26M, I am only up to October in the 1st

season and 9 points clear at the top

How have some people already finished 2 or 3 seasons

Normally when the new game comes out, I go straight to the editor and change quite a lot, but this year I have just changed our

finances added a sugar daddy, made realistic adjustments to Carroll and livermore, gave bale more pace, started the game and Levy

gave me £53 mill transfer kitty, Bought Leighton Baines, £15 M Dario Srna £9 m Leandro Damio,£26M, I am only up to October in the 1st

season and 9 points clear at the top

How have some people already finished 2 or 3 seasons

Isnt that pretty pointless changing things in the game to that extent? No offence but what you say are realistic changes make the game totally unrealistic.

Bit quiet on here from the Spurs fans. Unless most are too busy playing the game.

4 league games so far for me im in 4th place. Lost my 1st game of the season and won the next 3.

Not scoring as much as i would like and as well conceding too many.Although to me its more realistic to Spurs in real life i guess. Ive scored 7 and conceded 4 which is pretty much the same as 7 teams around me except Man Utd in 2nd who have a goal difference of +14. Although in the games ive played i did beat Man City and the Goons

I only signed Fernando Llorente and sold Pav (just dont like him in real life either).

Struggling like Harry on deciding my best formation. Its a toss up between playing 2 strikers in Adebayor and Llorente but then i hate leaving out VDV. Or playing VDV which means i have to leave a striker out which is tough. So its either a 4-2-3-1 or 4-2-4.

Both formations are Balanced,Control,Shorter Passing,More Expressive,Press More,Man Marking.

Just think something needs tweaking somewhere.

Llorente has scored 6 in 6 games

Dos Santos 4 in 7 games

Adebayor 4 in 3 games

Vdv 2 in 5 games

Bale 4 assists in 7 games

Adebayor 3 in 3 games

VDV 1 in 5 games

Morale is one issue in my team. Ive been praising the team yet half the squad is superb and the other half is fairly poor. And the fairly poor ones are playing most of the games.

Isnt that pretty pointless changing things in the game to that extent? No offence but what you say are realistic changes make the game totally unrealistic.

Bale is a lot Quicker in Real life compared to the game

Carroll and livermore are too under rated in the game as to what the reality is

And I wanted to have a bit more cash

Ok it was probably not necessary to go and Make Arsenal a Worse team but hey why not

Just finished my 1st season with Spurs, finished 4th(Was 1st till like the last 8 games), won the Europa League and the Carling cup. Need a back-up LB to BAE as he'll do for another year and a starting ST with £40M, any ideas?

As for back up LB you have Bale, Bassong, Corluka and Naughton all give good cover. with the strikers for 40mil i would say Cavani or Adebayor i got him for 3.6mil sold for 21mil season later

I sold Bassong, Corluka isn't a LB and yeah I have Naughton but I wanted someone who could go into my starting 11 after the 2nd season and I don't fancy Naughton as my starting LB, I tried for Tevez for ST but his agent is an idiot, I didn't try for Adebayor as City had him in their 1st team and I guess his wages would have been similar to Tevez' and Napoli wanted loads for Cavani. In the end i went for Damiao, got him for £21M so I'm hoping he comes good.

Regarding Coulibaly, he has been injured for 36.44% of my game so far so I doubt he'll ever come good for me.

First few games of my 1st season going well. Unbeaten, drawn against Utd and the scum, other than that wins all round. Scoring at just under 3 a game. Team is shaping up like this:

GK: Friedel/Gomes

DR: Corluka/Walker

DC: Kaboul/Dawson

DC: King/Bassong

DL: BAE/Rose

MC(bwm): Parker/Sandro/Livermore

MC(dlp or adpm): Modric/Hudd

MR/AMR: Lennon/Phillips

AMC: VDV/Kranjcar/Falque

ML/AML: Bale/Falque/Townsend

ST: Ade/Pav/JD

Ade has only got 1 goal but it was against the scum so happy enough, he also has a few assists and links well with VDV. Just had Bale and Rafa injured in the same match v QPR for a few weeks, seeing as they were my top scorers that could put some strain on the rest. Falque has looked really impressive when given a chance, mainly Europa games and CC. Much like Redknapp, I'm playing 2nd string sides in those games at the moment and the kids are doing alright.

Wanted to post some images in here, but for some reason I can't get a decent shot of the league table. Writing's going indecipherably small. Well, I started this game just as a tester to see what works for Spurs and what doesn't before a network game. Had a clear idea of what I wanted to attempt - in short, an asymmetric formation. It's almost a cross between a 4-1-4-1 and 4-4-2, and the defensive structure of the shape allowed me to play with a highly attacking strategy. Long story short, at the start of the January transfer window I'm undefeated in all competitions, having won 15 in the league and drawn 2 (away at Man City and Arsenal), and having won 5 and drawn 1 in the Europa League. Also through to the semi final of the league cup having beaten Chelsea away and Arsenal at home in the previous two rounds, leaving Norwich and either Newcastle or Burnley standing between me and silverware.

In the summer I bought three players and sold three, as follows:

IN:

- Carlos Tevez (of course, seems obligatory here)

-- £15M over 12 months

-- £10M after 50 league appearances

-- £5M after 30 league goals

- Lucas Andersen

-- £775k

-- £500k after 10 league appearances

- Lucas Digne

-- £1.7M

-- 10% profit sell-on clause

OUT:

- Gomes

-- £5M over 48 months

- Aaron Lennon

-- £7.5M over 48 months

- Jake Livermore

-- £1.5M over 24 months

-- £250k if Birmingham are promoted

-- 50% sell-on clause

Sold Gomes because Friedel was going to be my first choice, only really needed one back-up keeper and I figured I should cash-in on Gomes while he was still worth something. Sold Lennon because I don't rate him and it was a good amount to get for someone who didn't fit my system. Sold Livermore because Birmingham put in a reasonable offer and while I like him he wasn't going to trouble the first team. Better to let him develop elsewhere and get the boost when he gets sold on. Bought Tevez because he's a class striker, of course. Wages weren't great (£175k a week) but I could afford them, so hey why not. If it becomes an unsustainable drain of money I should be able to sell him on, I'm sure his agent would love that. Digne provides good cover for Assou-Ekotto, and Andersen - well, my scouts said he's set to be as good as Modric in the future, how could I say no for under £1M?

This has been my first xi when everyone's fit:

Tactics.jpg

In the league (which is where these players have mainly played), the following players have been stars:

Gareth Bale - 5 goals and 15 assists in 17 appearances, average rating 7.99

Carlos Tevez - 11 goals and 6 assists in 15 appearances, average rating 7.57

Michael Dawson - averaging 7.67 across 17 appearances

Rafael van der Vaart - 9 goals and 6 assists in 14 appearances, average rating 7.66

Scott Parker - 7 goals and 6 assists in 17 appearances, average rating 7.45

Other players have been good, but those are probably the stand-outs.

Plan for January (as the board have just given me an extra £20M or so) is to get cover for VDV (dos Santos is okay but not great, as is Pienaar), cover for either Huddlestone or Parker (Sandro is pulling double-duty at the moment), a young keeper (obviously needed for the future, can put this off to the summer if needed but I'd really rather get him sooner than later so he has time to blend in and whatnot) and maybe cover for Bale (Kranjcar has been playing as Modric's back-up more, and Falque's only on loan).

EDIT: Forgot to actually say what the league table looked like! Annoyingly Man Utd are doing similarly well, so I'm 2nd - 5 points behind them with 2 games in hand. It's already a two-horse race though really, 3rd-placed Man City are 4 points behind me having played 3 games more. No one really close to them.

EDIT 2: Also forgot to list my shouts. Because the formation is reasonably defensive it allows me go all out in the attacking, and the shouts I use reflect that:

Attacking

---

Stay On Feet

Exploit The Flanks

Pass Into Space

Clear Ball To Flanks

Play Through Defence

Hi people. Just started FM12 with the mighty spurs. I'm from Malta by the way and was looking around and maybe some sainth ere would be so kind as to throw me a bone here and send me a decent tactic to make glory at white hart lane!!!!

cheers everyone.

Hi guys, I have just started up a Spurs save :thup:

The first thing I did was revamp the staff:

screenshot20111101at200.png

I have pretty much signed Otamendi, meaning I am going to sell one of the current centre backs. Most probably Ledley King due to his age and of course injury problems. Who I decide to sell all depends on the prices I can get though.

JT: I could never sell Ledley. Never. EDIT: but that is a great start to a season.

Just made a massive signing. Into 1st week of November and the board have given me an extra £28m to spend. Nice. Then I get offered Suarez (Liverpool are doing v bad, down in 15th, not helped by us tonking them 5-1. At Anfield. So he requested a transfer). They wanted £27.5m. Didn't see any point in haggling. Job done. He'll be with me on January 1st. Don't know where he's gonna play but we'll figure that out.

I'm at work so can't post any screenshots at the moment, but almost finished my first season last night (2 league games to go) and I've won the EPL and the Europa League.

Signings - Tevez £5million, Damiao £24million (arranged by Levy), Emre Can £2million, then in January got some more cash and picked up Aly Cissokho (£12million), Branescu (Juve keeper) for £5million and Ryan Shawcross £14million. Sold Pav to Bayern for £7.5million and Gallas to AC Milan for £1.5million but no other major sales.

Won the PL with two games to go, having scored over 100 goals but conceded more than anyone else in the top half (I play a very attacking tactic!) and beat Hannover 3-2 in the Europa final, Defoe notching the winner in extra time. Had to come back from a 2-1 home defeat in the semi-final first leg v AC Milan, by going 3-0 up in 20 minutes in the second leg, eventually winning it 3-2 and going through on away goals.

First choice team at present is :

GK (Sweeper-Keeper, Defend) - Gomes, backups Friedel and Branescu

DR (Wing-back, Automatic) - Walker, backups Corluka and Kaboul

CB (Limited Defender, Defend) - Shawcross, backups Corluka and Bassong

CB (Ball-Playing Defender, Defend) - Dawson, backups King and Kaboul

DR (Wing-back, Automatic) - Cissokho, backups Assou-Ekotto and Bassong

DM (Anchor Man, Defend) - Sandro, backups Parker and Huddlestone

AMR (Winger, Support) - Lennon, backups GDS & VDV

AMC (Advanced Playmaker, Support) - Modric, backups VDV and Pienaar

AML (Winger, Support) - Bale, backups Kranjcar and Pienaar

ST (Poacher, Attack) - Defoe, backups Adebayor and Tevez

ST (Complete Forward, Attack) - Damiao, backups Adebayor and Tevez.

Defoe has been immense hitting around 40 goals altogether, Damiao got about 25-30, Ade and Tevez both well into double figures. Lennon, vdV, Modric and Bale all weighed in with quite a few too, and Corluka bizarrely had a run of scoring about 10 goals in about 15 games from centre-half!

To get Tevez cheaply, try this (I've done it on three separate Spurs starts and it's worked every time, although not always straight away.)

- His sale value at the start of the game is £51million, but City are usually interested in vdV so offer £5million plus vdV, this is usually accepted. Offer a contract that Tevez's agent won't accept until he walks away.

- Now put in another bid, often at this point his sale value will have been put down to £5m so remove vdV from the bid and lo and behold your £5m bid is accepted.

- Sometimes you may have to repeat the part-exchange bid two or three times, before they drop his sale value, but as I say it's worked on three out of three games for me.

Midway through my first season.....

2nd in the league and unbeaten so far, scoring plenty but problem has been at the back where I have only kept 3 clean sheets (so just like real life then!)

PLD 15, W12, D3 GF40 GA16

Through to the semi finals of the league cup but struggled through a tough Europa group where I qualified on goal difference.

Just the one signing so far, Llorente for £28m (£14m up front) but he has only just started to come good, Defoe has been the go to man (see below). I like to play with width so tend to go with 4-4-1-1 or 4-4-2 both with an attacking basis from the start in pretty much all games.

Sold Dos Santos and Gomes so far and have just put Kyle Walker on the transfer list after he complained to the press (after I gave him a warning for a straight red :( ). Had problems in the demo with star players being unhappy with lack of discipline so ruling with an iron fist :)

Preferred starting line up, rotated well in the cups and so far (with the exception of Walker) everyone is very happy

GK Friedel

DR Corluka

DC Dawson

DC Kaboul

DL Assou-Ekotto

MR Lennon pld 23(2), goals 3, 7.09

MC Parker

MC Modric pld 20, goals 6, 7.15

ML Bale pld 21(3), goals 5, 7.58

AMC Van Der Vart pld 20(2), goals 8, 7.63

ST Defoe pld 15(5), goals 15, 7.29

Llorente pld 11(11), goals 6, 6.90

Pav pld 4(8), goals 2, 6.86

Hoping the club decide to give some extra funds for the upcoming transfer window. Priority will be the right side of midfield as Lennon has played pretty much every game and a new left back. Would be looking to improve rather than get cover so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

A great poacher to look at is a guy called Heber, he is a Brazilian u21 international. he starts at Figueriense. I signed him for 6.25 million at the start of the second season, he has played 5 games and scored 8 goals. He is keeping Defoe out of the team.

Anyone signed Adebayor on a permanent basis? His agent is a...<insert naughty word here>. I think I might have to look for a cheaper option after season 1 is over.

I should imagine his agent has been 'conditioned' to Citeh like wages/fees. As mentioned above I got Suarez coming in Jan 1st season on £97k per week, with very reasonable fees/bonuses. But he's only an option if the scousers are rubbish. Llorente maybe?

Anyone signed Adebayor on a permanent basis? His agent is a...<insert naughty word here>. I think I might have to look for a cheaper option after season 1 is over.

I cancelled the loan agreement after signing Llorente so I didn't go over my wage budget. This was after bids came in for Modric and VDV so I had to raise their wages to keep them happy :(

Starting my 3rd season, just won the Community Shield after winning the Premiership and FA Cup last year.

1st - Europa League, Carling Cup

2nd - Premiership, FA Cup, Also lost the European Super Cup to Barca in ET

3rd - Community Shield(So far but like I say, just started it)

I want the Champions League next, got to the QF last year and after winning my 1st leg against Man City 3-1 I thought I'd have a shot but then they beat me 6-0 at their ground which was just stupid. In the second round however, I had my best result on FM12 so far.

2011110200001s.jpg

Leandro Damiao is a monster if anyone needs a ST, he cost me £21M but he was worth every penny. He finished the season with a record of 48(3) Apps / 61 Goals.

Been a while since I've been on the forum but it's good to be back for another season...and I hope (like most, I notice) to post more often.

Just a quickie to kick off...I have just played my third preseason game in which I won a fantastic 8-0 away from home against Notts County, a majority of it with 10 men, after beating Spurs Reserves 4-1 and FC Brugge 2-0.

I haven't made any wholesale changes to the squad, but I have overhauled most of the coaching staff and now have some solid coaches in place.

I know most people seem to be getting a lot out of Krancjar but he doesn't figure in my plans really...and it looks like he is off to Juve on loan-to-buy (£1.5M plus £5m if they buy)....I refused to sell him to Man Utd :) Several youngsters heading out on loan...but I have just held Rose back from Middlesbrough as I am just twitchy I may need him as DL cover for Benny...though am looking to get a solid DL in maybe. Thoughts on Rose?

Am looking at a young Danish central defender from Juve too...can't remember his name...but he looks good enough to get in and play in the CC and Europa initially.

Anyway...my fantastic 8-0 preseason win came with the following team and setup:

4-4-2

Fluid/Control

Shorter Passing

More Roaming

Quick Tempo (first notch)

GK Gomes (Def)

DR Walker (FB, Sup)

DC Dawson (Def)

DC Bassong (Def)

DL Assou-Ekoto (FB, Sup)

MR Lennon (Wing, Att)

MCR Modric (APM, Sup)

MCL Parker (BWM, Def)

ML Bale (Wing, Att)

CF Defoe (Poacher, Att)

CF Adebayor (Comp For, Sup)

Scorers: Defoe 3, Adebayor 2, Bale, Lennon, Huddlestone, OG

Yes it's a strong team against a v weak team, but it worked very well. Even after Benny was sent off after 10 mins or so for a rash tackle...I had to change structure and I decided to sacrifice Parker instead of Modric for Rose to slip in at DL. So I then had a v attacking minded midfield. Basically, Adebayor was awesome and assisting left, right and centre...and he and Defoe linked well. As the game went on, I replaced most players, including getting some grit in the middle with Hudd replacing Modric half way through second half. Also gave some young guys, like Ceballos, time as well...looks quite nifty.

Also been looking at using 4-4-1-1 with VDV supporting a striker. Obviously can't leave Rafa out too often if at all...but I really like playing two strikers!

Anyway...I will hopefully update soon with some transfer news and some more progress :)

Cheers

Ben

Love it, what a beaut ;)

I just played another friendly, this time away to Orient and won 2-0. Not as 'goalful' as the previous 8-0, but still a dominating performance. I did play 4-4-1-1 this time with Rafa in behind Adebayor. I know it's not just me, but I can't seem to get his (VDV) instructions right. I tend to play him as an Advanced Playmaker with Attack...then play Manu as Complete Forward (or Poacher) as Support...but even by swapping their Supp/Att roles I still don't seem to get 100% out of Rafa. Should he be an Inside Forward? I don't think so.

Any suggestions on best way to play him?

Getting some good morale and feedback from the team now half way through preseason...looking forward to putting some time in over the weekend to really get it going!

Cheers edgar...so should any forward ahead of him be Support or is Attack ok? I guess it depends how the midfield behind is balanced out huh?

Conventional wisdom says Support, but indeed the rest of the midfield can influence that. I use MC(bwm/def) MC (dlp/support) AMR (winger/att) AMC thats Rafa (IF/Att) AML (IF/support) ST (adv fwd/att). So it can work.

Archived