[Discussion thread] Thoughts on the demo?

Jason the Yank

Just took a short spin as Man City (enough money to test some things out :D)

Out of the announced features, I was optimistic about the tone function. After having tried it, I think I'm going to love this. More options to better tell the players what I want to say to them (including kicking Balotelli up the backside at halftime :D). In some ways, it's like using the tactics creator instead of the sliders: Just like setting your winger to an "inside forward" role with "attacking mentality" will set the appropriate sliders, now telling a player, say, "You've been playing lazily" in an "assertive" tone makes a lot more sense than just "disappointing."

I also like how you can set your touchline shout in the pre-game talk. So now my team can take the pitch knowing I want them to, say, play the ball to feet instead having to scramble to set it when the match kicks off.

Also noticed an extra set of touchline shouts: "Run at defense"/"Play through defense" which should be useful on the rare occasions my players are much better than the other team. :D

The GUI will take a little bit of getting used to. Now first team/reserve team/youth team is under a drop down menu instead of having separate tabs, for example.

So yeah, I'm probably going to pre-order the game now. :D

Oh, another thing I liked in the demo is there's an option (IIRC it was under the boardroom options) to host an open trial day. Could be helpful for when you take over a newly promoted team that has no players.

Also, if you sign a player on trial in the pre-season, you now have the option of having the trial run through the entirety of pre-season (in addition to the standard 1 week, 2 weeks, 3 weeks and 4 weeks)

I don't like the fact some menus are in strange places (reserves) and tactics seems hard to get to. Also I couldn't work out how to pick players on match day without going out of the match day screen...

It hasn't convinced me to buy it at all. I think it's just a fancy new GUI with the team talk feature added...

On the plus side 3-4-1-2's still work :p

This GUI will take me a while to figure out... :(

Where can I ask my ass man for the loan availability report? Because I can't find it! :(

The only thing that I have no problem with in the FM12 demo is winning games (albeit friendlies) with Reading. :D

Overall I think FM12 is a big improvement but there are some micromanagement issues still not sorted. Once again scouts are going to annoy me. They still seem to have a total inability to find BETTER players than I already have when left to their own devices. :(

Problem with the FM demos has always been it only lasts 6 months so I end up playing it for about 24 hours then its back to the old one until the full game is released. :D

FM12 looks more professional (I think that's the right thing to say). I had a dabble yesterday as Brighton, some things are in strange places but I think you will et used to this as everyone else has in older versions with new features

Having completed the demo, my first impressions are all quite positive. I actually quite like the new layout, and there's a lot of nice little touches, such as extra statistics, improved contract negotiations, better news items. The match engine seems quite smooth too, and I'm yet to come across any major game-breaking bugs. In fact, I think this will be one of the best 'out of the box' for quite a few years. On the downside, I have noticed that the 'near post corner' issue hasn't been resolved, which has been ongoing since FM10. Asides from this, I can't find too much to quibble about.

As good as the demo is, I won't be able to test the things that matter to me the most until the full game has been released. I'm really hoping that long-term games are sustainable, there's no problems with managers when trying to change clubs, there's an improvement in AI squad management, and that the add/remove league functions works as it should. If all of this works, FM12 has the potential to be one of the best games ever.

Only played a few pre-seasons with Manchester United and so far I really like the new "improvements", especially the new layouts.

Maybe I'll find a problem here or there but I think generally for those who love to really dig into the depths of their club and change everything about it - this is definitely an upgrade worth making.

Biggest enjoyment so far has been the improvement to the match gfx which seem so smooth now and more much easy to watch.

Loving the Demo so far and looking forward to possibly the best FM ever!:)

I have an issue though were by when I view all players found by one of my scouts and I change the view to -Scout Main Details, click on a player, then click back button to go back to the previous screen, the view has defaulted back to -General Info view???

How can I get this to stay on -Scout Main Details?

Apologies if I'm being abit thick, just can't seem to find a solution.:o This also happened to me in FM11.

Help appreciated.:)

More so than previous years it feel like a slight update than an advancement. The product itself is still a remarkable piece of kit, but standing next to last year's iteration is a different kettle of poisson. It's still the most comprehensive management simulation there is and until that changes, until I can no longer get a full year of constant gaming out of it then I'll still buy it.

It's going to be a good year for me playing Football Manager.

I've been impressed with what I have seen, but I'm struggling to get motivated to actually play it. I just can't wait until it is released so I can start a game that actually means something to me.

Similarly to me. I've played 2 games on it but am struggling to get motivated to play it. Whether that's because it doesn't 'mean anything to me' or I'm still enjoying FM11, I'm not sure. Inital impressions of it are good but I'll probably wait a month or so before buying it.

I've been impressed with what I have seen, but I'm struggling to get motivated to actually play it. I just can't wait until it is released so I can start a game that actually means something to me.

Always the way with the demos - that's why I haven't bothered. But then I am too engrossed in FM11 still to worry about FM12!

I'm liking the new tone system for interaction, but wishing they had the tones "sarcastic" and "menacing" available for dealing with my Caley thistle players.

Finding the ability to buy on installs with nothing up front a bit crazy, you can spend whatever you like, seems unrealistic the board wouldn't notice.

I mean, as Celtic I spent 250m in one window in a "I'll pay you later" binge. Thats a bit nuts, considering I had a transfer budget of oooh... 8m or thereabouts :-)

Archived