The Barcelona Style: My Interpretation

I won't deny....this makes me feel proud, that you would arrive at similar system.

TBH, lately I have increased the tempo and lowered the passing. Now I see more zippy passes.

I'm equally pleased that it seems to be along the right track. You obviously watch a lot of Barcelona matches (all?), so the fact that I've had a decent go at replicating them from a few online articles and clips is nice :thup: The use of Busquets as a DLP (D) in the middle of a flat three is important and does make a big difference ralative to a DM DLP behind a MC two.

I'm making quite a few changes in matches at the moment. Sometimes Mentality, sometimes a Role and / or Duty change, sometimes a few TIs to see out a match. It isn't something I usually do, but I'm quite enjoying having a ridiculously good team at my disposal and they seem very responsive :) I've now set Alba / Grimaldo at DL to Wing Back Attack with no adverse impact (no overwhelming number of crosses or defensive gaps on that side) for a number of matches.

Have also committed the cardinal sin of selling Iniesta......

• Replies 716
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Man, after this complement from Cleon.....my confidence is sky rocketing...:D LOL, thanks guys (RTH, Cleon)! I guess you are both good teacher and I've learned well.....

Regarding using starting XI players and subs/rotational players at Barca, I do change the roles a bit to suit the players a little bit more. That of course has a slight effect on how the tactic plays overall. But that is not a worry because the effectiveness of the tactic would be effected either way, as sub players are different than the first choice players. I'd rather see my players play well in a more suitable role and thus still contributing to the overall execution of my tactical plan. For example:

When I rest Messi and play Zivkovic or Munir at AMR, I do not use the AP-A role for either of them. They don't have the attributes or the PPMs to carry on that role. Plus why would I want them to? I don't. Therefore I change the role to IF-S and mirror the PIs to those for the AML - sit narrower, shoot less, get forward. I still have 3 playmaker roles which is enough.

Another example is when I play Rafinha and Roberto instead of Iniesta and Rakitic or any other combination other than my starting first choice. In that case I may flip the roles - RPM is the MCR, BBM is the MCL. BTW, Samper is a straight sub/replacement for Busquets at MC/DLP-D.....even Roberto is good there.

I'm equally pleased that it seems to be along the right track. You obviously watch a lot of Barcelona matches (all?), so the fact that I've had a decent go at replicating them from a few online articles and clips is nice :thup: The use of Busquets as a DLP (D) in the middle of a flat three is important and does make a big difference ralative to a DM DLP behind a MC two.

I'm making quite a few changes in matches at the moment. Sometimes Mentality, sometimes a Role and / or Duty change, sometimes a few TIs to see out a match. It isn't something I usually do, but I'm quite enjoying having a ridiculously good team at my disposal and they seem very responsive :) I've now set Alba / Grimaldo at DL to Wing Back Attack with no adverse impact (no overwhelming number of crosses or defensive gaps on that side) for a number of matches.

Nooooooo, not good selling Iniesta. He is my second favorite player behind Messi IRL. Anyway...

I used to watch all Barca matches, but ever since I move to Los Angeles (used to live in Chicago) with the different time zone and busy with work, I've had less and less time to watch them. I watch only the important matches like El Classico or the CL now.

My set up is mostly based on last season's observations. I think there are some changes this season. I noticed a little difference against Real Madrid for example. Maybe it was due to Rakitic still not being 100% after the small injury, but he was more reserved than usual. Iniesta was the more active one and more advanced. Otherwise, in couple of other matches I saw, Rakitic seems more involved and more trusted to share some of the playmaking.....after all, Iniesta is older now.

My favorite is Sergi Roberto now. He has been a revelation and he is proving to be very versatile - has played DR, MC and AMR to equal success. Therefore, I've taken the liberty to edit him slightly before starting my Barca save to better reflect this. He was actually rated less by FM researcher compared with past two FM versions. I think people had written him off and Rafinha was ahead of him coming off the bench, but his injury meant more chances for Roberto and he has taken them well.

Just had this fantastic Clasico encounter at the Bernebau:

screen-shot-2015-12-19-at-19-37-58.png

1-0, 1-1, 2-1, 3-1, 3-2, 3-3. It was just outstandingly entertaining to play. Look at the quality of the shooting; brilliant from both sides.

Switched to Standard at 3-1 down, removed Slightly Higher Defensive Line (they scored from two identical through balls, one of which was a straight one on one, one which Pique headed short for Carlos Vela to score).

So your LB (wing back) has a more attacking role than the RB now then?

Interesting as Alves/Vidal are far more attacking than Alba/Grimaldo in terms of attributes.

It's only that way because it produced balance. Messi at AMR is on an Attack Duty and I didn't want to reduce that.

That explains it certainly.

I've had success in previous years with Barca playing a short passing/retain possession tactic but with the maximum "very high tempo" - have yet to try that in FM16 so will give it a try.

A question, if you use Busquets as a CM DLP doesnt the midfield get very crowded then? dont they use each others space? same with RPM and AP doesnt the RPM take up (in this case Messi´s) lanes, obstructing him from play?

A question, if you use Busquets as a CM DLP doesnt the midfield get very crowded then? dont they use each others space? same with RPM and AP doesnt the RPM take up (in this case Messi´s) lanes, obstructing him from play?

The RPM was on the opposite side to Messi, so that wasn't an issue. However, I've been making lots of changes over the past few nights as I found that the RPM and DLP tended to get too close when the ball was deep and we had possession, and that means that we had fewer passing options available in different areas of the pitch. I've since changed the RPM to a CM (S) to avoid that "gravitating towards the ball".

The RPM was on the opposite side to Messi, so that wasn't an issue. However, I've been making lots of changes over the past few nights as I found that the RPM and DLP tended to get too close when the ball was deep and we had possession, and that means that we had fewer passing options available in different areas of the pitch. I've since changed the RPM to a CM (S) to avoid that "gravitating towards the ball".

Totally agree with you RTH, I found his roaming could do that sometimes. Because of his move you mentioned above, he is not my favorite role 'if' I have a DLP in 433. Top observation !

I'm now tinkering with asymmetry. The reason for this is that my current setup lacks attacking depth from the front three; they often all end up in a narrow trio along the defensive line and I want variety.

Initially I'm dropping the AML to ML and using the Wide Midfielder Support Role. Tweaking it by adding PIs to Sit Narrower, Get Further Forward, Shoot Less Often, Dribble More, Cut Inside With Ball, More Risky Passes and Cross Less Often (a direct translation of the IF Support Role, with a couple of extras). The hope is that will see him arrive later in the area to pull players out of position later on in attacking phases. May even revert to a flat 4-5-1 ultimately, with the AP (Attack) AMR slot dropped to MR in a modified Wide Playmaker Role.

EDIT - Ended up changing WM (S) to WM (A).

Hello guys! I have a problem with Messi, oddly enough, he always takes the easiest decision, almost never makes any dribres, alwaysalways tries the short pass, never try long shots, never enters the area to get the ball. they play AP-A from AMR position, and sometimes as IF, Neymar on the other hand, any Roles I lay it does not lose its characteristics, runs, dribbles, kicks away, enters the area dribbling ... Messi is with a media 6.8, does not appear in the game ... someone is going through or went through this problem? any hint regarding Roles, PIs, and individual interactions are welcome.

TI:Control/Structured, Play Out Of Defense,Push Higher Up, Close Down Much More,Retain Possession, , Lower Tempo, , Prevent Short GK Distribution.

Suarez = F9, shot less

Rakitic = B2B

Iniesta = RPM

Neymar = IF/s

Higosfundes, yes i was looking at Messis Match stats and saw that he almost only took shots from sides of the goal and almost never from the front, i changed his role to inside forward AT and it affected shooting distrubution and somewhat his goalscoring (although it is much higher in real Life). My Barcelona team plays great football but scores very Little unfortunatley.

Hello guys! I have a problem with Messi, oddly enough, he always takes the easiest decision, almost never makes any dribres, alwaysalways tries the short pass, never try long shots, never enters the area to get the ball. they play AP-A from AMR position, and sometimes as IF, Neymar on the other hand, any Roles I lay it does not lose its characteristics, runs, dribbles, kicks away, enters the area dribbling ... Messi is with a media 6.8, does not appear in the game ... someone is going through or went through this problem? any hint regarding Roles, PIs, and individual interactions are welcome.

TI:Control/Structured, Play Out Of Defense,Push Higher Up, Close Down Much More,Retain Possession, , Lower Tempo, , Prevent Short GK Distribution.

Suarez = F9, shot less

Rakitic = B2B

Iniesta = RPM

Neymar = IF/s

Things to consider:

Control Mentality will have him playing Direct passes before any TIs and PIs are added.

You then layer on basically every possible TI and PI to restrict his passing freedom so he will play a safe short pass as he has been instructed to. The cumulative impact of so many restrictive TIs will dilute the PIs.

Things to consider:

Control Mentality will have him playing Direct passes before any TIs and PIs are added.

You then layer on basically every possible TI and PI to restrict his passing freedom so he will play a safe short pass as he has been instructed to. The cumulative impact of so many restrictive TIs will dilute the PIs.

let me get this right: for Messi does "Messi's things" my Barça need to play more fluid without control,"forgets" the ball possession, with creative freedom in excess. In other words, i choose who will play well, Messi or my team?

Why Neymar Neymar does so many individual plays with these same IT and Messi is locked in field?

let me get this right: for Messi "Messi's things" my Barça need to play more fluid without control,"forgets" the ball possession, with creative freedom in excess. In other words, i choose who will play well, Messi or my team?

Why Neymar Neymar does so many individual plays with these same IT and Messi is locked in field?

No, what you need to do is detail just how different the performance of Neymar and Messi is. Can you show stats from 20+ games which shows the difference?

You had a thread in the bugs forum where you had advice from SI, and also from other people who are happy on the same ME with the same players at the same team. Sometimes subjectivity affects perception.

Just thought I'd share this. Obviously more relevant to Pep's Barca than Enrique's, but still interesting. According to Thierry, they seemed to play very rigid and then change to fluid in the final third. I'm assuming it couldn't be done, but any ideas on how you could possibly do that on FM?

Just thought I'd share this. Obviously more relevant to Pep's Barca than Enrique's, but still interesting. According to Thierry, they seemed to play very rigid and then change to fluid in the final third. I'm assuming it couldn't be done, but any ideas on how you could possibly do that on FM?

top video man, we could think of Highly Structured TI and IP: IF / S with stay wider and Get Further Forward?

Great video.

One minute I can't stand some of Henry's analysis .... Then he explains something like this and all is forgiven :)

The High Defensive Line has an odd effect in FM16, it result in your defenders missing headers and the other team getting through balls.

Some of the ME changes result in your team playing magically badly in defense, the trade off is supposed to be improved effectiveness in attack. With a team like Barca, it ends up being a huge risk, with no noticeable reward.

Great video about Henry's analysis of Barca's play under Pep. I think under Luis Enrique the current front three have even more freedom and fluidity up front....obviously to a devastating effect.:D

Neymar resembles to an extent what Henry and Villa used to do on the left side. And Suarez has that Eto'o role from the Rijkaard days with Ronaldinho and Guily/Messi on the right. Messi's current role is somewhat of hybrid between his younger days on the right wing and what he morphed into a False9 under Pep - he is drifting in an out.

Very difficult to replicate most of it on FM's ME

I'm currently in the middle of writing about this in FM terms because this is exactly how I play and instruct Gabigol to play.

Btw, after i see the video and Henry explanation, i thought about the Raumdeuter role, dont know if it's the best one to replicate that tho.

I'm not sure the RMD would hug the touch line for periods of play in the same way as shown in the video.

Yeah, had the same thoughts about the Raumdeuter role not being suitable after seeing that given he sits narrow. It's a shame, because I thought at first it would fit better than an IF who I tend to see as more of an inverted winger than a goal scorer like Villa.

Yeah, had the same thoughts about the Raumdeuter role not being suitable after seeing that given he sits narrow. It's a shame, because I thought at first it would fit better than an IF who I tend to see as more of an inverted winger than a goal scorer like Villa.

An IF is very much a goal scorer. They can score crazy amount of goals and be the real main striker for a side.

So Cleon, I'm assuming IF-S role with stay wider, get forward and roaming? Or is it a IF-A with just stay wider and roaming?

And what about Team Instructions - wider width or default?

IF A with stay wider. I don't use roaming on him as it tends to make him drift inside too early or not be as wide as I like. As for team instructions the width is just default so normal. However I have tried a narrow approach with the IF set to wider and it's shown some interesting things and he seems to pick up space in the important areas. So he is still a low wider than the rest of my players. The reasons for trying a more narrow approach btw was to retain possession in the central areas in the hope my Enganche can pick him out with balls like this;

That's when he's narrow and isn't what henry is talking about as such, well it is, just from a narrower width rather than out wide. I don't have access to that save at the minute but when I do I'll upload an example of it happening when I use normal width. It's the same kind of move but a lot closer to the touch line as you'd expect.

I didn't set out to write about what Henry was discussing as such. I was looking for examples throughout my saves to see if I had anything that could contribute to an intelligent attack play article so the games were fresh in my mind. Then two days later Henry did that little bit of analysis and it was very close to what I was seeing in my own saves.

With all this talk about Barca though, I'm half tempted to use them to recreate the movement too. And work on the central playmakers picking him out like in the Henry video.

IF A with stay wider. I don't use roaming on him as it tends to make him drift inside too early or not be as wide as I like. As for team instructions the width is just default so normal. However I have tried a narrow approach with the IF set to wider and it's shown some interesting things and he seems to pick up space in the important areas. So he is still a low wider than the rest of my players.

It is very like my setup now Cleon :) I use IF(s) with stay wider, also retain possession and play shorter passes with standard mentality which can provide quiete narrower shape

IF A with stay wider. I don't use roaming on him as it tends to make him drift inside too early or not be as wide as I like. As for team instructions the width is just default so normal. However I have tried a narrow approach with the IF set to wider and it's shown some interesting things and he seems to pick up space in the important areas. So he is still a low wider than the rest of my players. The reasons for trying a more narrow approach btw was to retain possession in the central areas in the hope my Enganche can pick him out with balls like this;

That's when he's narrow and isn't what henry is talking about as such, well it is, just from a narrower width rather than out wide. I don't have access to that save at the minute but when I do I'll upload an example of it happening when I use normal width. It's the same kind of move but a lot closer to the touch line as you'd expect.

I didn't set out to write about what Henry was discussing as such. I was looking for examples throughout my saves to see if I had anything that could contribute to an intelligent attack play article so the games were fresh in my mind. Then two days later Henry did that little bit of analysis and it was very close to what I was seeing in my own saves.

With all this talk about Barca though, I'm half tempted to use them to recreate the movement too. And work on the central playmakers picking him out like in the Henry video.

Interesting.....

Your set up at Santos is a little different with an Enganche role, compared to something Barca would use or your possession tactic with Swansea. It would be nice to see you dable into something with Barca and replicating what Henry was talking about in the video - playmaking through the middle with the wide forwards opening things up before attacking spaces freely in the final third.

In addition, I would be very intrigued to see how you set up the playmaking roles through the middle/center with Barca. And would you have both wide attacking players with the same set up at AMR/L?

Happy Holidays, btw!:D

I think this formation shape is what you guys are looking for and it can replicate exactly Barca's system with some TI/PI.

----------------------SK(D)-------------------------

-------------BPD(D)-------- -CD(D)----------------

-CWB(S)-------------DLP(D)---------------WB(S)-

--------------RPM(S)-----------AP(A)--------------

----------------------------------------------IF(S)---

-------------------T(A)-CF(A)-----------------------

Enjoy attacking football ;)

Hey all. Been reading through this and found it to be very helpful. I'm trying to create a barca type tactic and what I have gotten so far is pretty decent. I have 60-70% possession in most games and creating 3-4 ccc per game but still losing 1-0 at home to teams with only 2 shots and none ccc. ( teams mostly in the bottom 5)

Mentality is control and structured

Ti's

Low tempo

Slightly deeper

Retain possession

Shorter passing

Work ball into box

Pass into space

Play out of defence

Roam from position

Squad is

SK - D - Play to CB, Fewer Risky Passes

LIWB -S

CB- D Close down less, stay back

CB-D same as above

WB - S

DLP - D drop deep

BBM - S roam from position

Cm AP -S

IF - S roam from pos, get further forward, more direct passing, stay wider, shoot less

W-AP - s roam from pos, get further forward, more direct passing, sit narrow

CF - S more direct passing. Move into channel

Struggling to score goals. I would appreciate any advice

IF A with stay wider. I don't use roaming on him as it tends to make him drift inside too early or not be as wide as I like. As for team instructions the width is just default so normal. However I have tried a narrow approach with the IF set to wider and it's shown some interesting things and he seems to pick up space in the important areas. So he is still a low wider than the rest of my players. The reasons for trying a more narrow approach btw was to retain possession in the central areas in the hope my Enganche can pick him out with balls like this.

I tried the opposite; set my WM-As to sit narrow and roam while instructing my team to play as wide as possible. The hope was to get my WM-As to be somewhat narrow but give them the freedom and the option to roam wide.

Sitting narrow would also allow my FBs to overlap. And finally, by sitting narrow, they'd be in better positions to score.

At last that was the hope. It works occasionally but I feel like they aren't roaming enough and because of that, their markers also sit narrow which makes my opposition's shape more compact and harder to break down.

I'm thinking of removing sit narrower. My only concern is that they may end up playing more like wingers than anything else dude to my team's width.

If I remove sit narrower, I could ask them to cut inside but I've always felt like asking them to do that would make them a tad one dimensional. That's actually the reason I went with sit narrower; be in better position to score and when they do have the ball, they have the option to do what they think is the best decision. Be it cutting inside or moving out wide.

I could also reduce my team's width, but I'd rather not tbf.

I'll try them without the sit narrower PI, see what happens, and go from there. Who knows. Maybe I won't need the cut inside PI.

• 2 months later...

I've read it's a big no no to play a lone striker with an attacking duty without any AMC support behind but what would the Eto'o role be in Barca's 2008/09 system under Guardiola in his 1st season? I was thinking an AF but wouldn't this be difficult to get working in FM?

Eto'o role was pretty similar to what Suarez does now - CF-S. But keep in mind that in the second half of his first season is when Pep started to switch Messi and Eto'o's positions/roles.

Thanks.

Yeah I've been reading the Zonal Marking: 'Team of the Decade' piece on that system, and it does mention that he switched Messi to the centre as a False Nine and moved Eto'o to the wing as an Inside Forward.

Archived