[Discussion thread] Youth development

Jason the Yank

Sort of a spin-off thread from the "Building a Squad" thread, but interested in more specific opinions.

As I said in the other discussion threads, I'm terrible at youth development. Abysmal. I can't think of one youth player who has made it into my first team.

I think this is partly due to the fact that I usually work at low reputation teams with a bare bones staff. Usually, all the board will allow me to have is an ass man, a goalkeeping coach, and maybe a general "coach."

My suspicion (and maybe some of you can say if I'm right or wrong about this) is that you need a dedicated "youth coach" to have much effect on how much your youth players develop. My guess is if you can only have your ass man and general coach work with them, then your coaches are spread too thin (which also has the effect of limiting improvement in your first team squad)

For FM '12, now we'll have the ability to scrap the youth setup entirely (subject to the board's approval). I'm thinking I'll try to go this route (assuming I'm at a team down in the Swedish 2nd Division or something; maybe not if it's two-division league like Hungary or South Korea) to save money, then re-establish it when my teams get to a higher level and (hopefully!) have some more money coming in. I'd only do it though if I'm allowed to hire a youth coach, which might be a chicken-and-egg thing. Board likely wouldn't approve a youth coach without a youth setup; but why have a youth setup if you aren't allowed to hire a youth coach, putting you in the position I described above?

I also tend to play with low reputation teams too and have to say that I've never had a decent youth player come through the ranks when at smaller clubs. I think I'm with daf in that it depends on the youth facilities at the club. In my current save, like I said, I've had no decent youth intakes when I've been at 'smaller' clubs but when I was FC Seoul, I had a couple that we're top notch and even made the South Korean national squad.

I took Farnborough up to the Championship from the BSS, and in my third season all of a sudden "the next Paul Ince" arrived in my youth team. A complete freak, he was instantly good enough for League Two at 16, and by 17 he had PL clubs after him. In the end, he played in my side for two and a half years before I sold him for £2.5m.

However, that was a complete one off for me. Of course, I was really lucky he was already decent when he was taken on (a really good League Two midfielder), but the only way I developed him was by playing him. My facilities were awful and I only had one youth coach and he was very 'meh'. In that very limited experience then I'd suggest the best way of improving youngsters is simply to play them. Not every week, but 20-25 games a season.

I haven't stayed at a club long enough in my current save to see many players develop into stars. However, I do enjoy signing highly rated youngster, on the basis of my scout reports. Sometimes they'll get in the first team if they're good enough.

I can't recollect ever having a world-class player come through my youth ranks at any club I've managed in any version of the game though :(

I have had 2, from what I can work out first team experience is what makes them good. My first "good" youth I started playing from the first game of the season then was brought by Lazio (over my head) for £5m in the next transfer window! He currently plays for HSV.

My other that have been "ok" I have loaned out to Morecambe (Championship in my game, how unreal) and they play some games there but the lack of match experience holds them back.

My new one I am trying to get to play 20-45 minutes a match from day one.

On FM10 I had a very prolific academy at Merthyr Tydfil - in the end I was still consistently winning trophies with academy graduates all across midfield, in goal and a couple in defence - the one position I never really produced anything in was up front.

In FM11, despite top-drawer facilities with Messina, I have not produced one first-team squad quality player in over 30 seasons. Go figure.

I'm pretty good at developing prospects once they come in - nearly all of my first-team squad joined at a young age and became the players they are today thanks to tutoring and exposure to first team football nice and early in their development - but there's little you can do if they're not coming through.

Archived