Football Manager Live

I think they should have just taken Football Manager and put it online. In other words, network games with TONS of managers and on SI's servers. I'd pay extra for that.

I tried FM Live but the whole create your own club thing didn't hold my interest. I like the regular FMs because I can manage real clubs in real leagues.

Yeah, I also agree, you could log on anytime but your matches could only be played in a 4 hour period. So for example, 2-6pm, 6-10pm, 10-am. If the opposition manager doesn't login by the 4th hour AI rights would be awarded to you.

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 months later...

Hey guys, Abz, William, Efe and all the others. It feels like forever since i've played FMLive. It was for sure the best game i've ever played in my life. It's level of detail and the overall quality were maybe equal to let's say Blizzards Diablo or Starcraft. I mean sure FM is excelent , but FML was unbelivable, something else (i would give FM a 8.5-9, and FML a 9.9). The feeling of buying a player from another real person after hard negociations, training in the skills that you want, counting the days till your new graduate comes, and best of all interact with other players,send, receive messages,chat whenever you want,organize competitions. In one word it was unique. It was very addictive as a downside, but i promise i won't play as much if they bring it back. And would definitely pay for it, if it was necessary.

I'm putting together an internet site were we can gather votes to bring back FML, and other things as share our thoughts and opinions about the game, maybe we can draw some attention. I'm not very good at the web design yet, but i hope it will turn out good. If Abz would want to post the link here in the first post it would be very good, so i don't have to start another thread.

The key problem FML faced was that it was never allowed to get settled for any long period of time- all the encouragement about long-term development of your club never came to fruition because the goalposts kept getting moved. Too many of the updates were totally game-changing, but at the same time people were always- ALWAYS- calling for updates and new features to keep them entertained. It meant that certain features were implemented quickly without fulfilling the potential in their design, and at the same time upsetting the game's balance- stadiums and especially atmosphere (which was shown and could be changed, but affected nothing) being a fine example.

The game simply tried to be too much to too many people. It was an ambitious project, and I think the saddest part is that everyone could see the potential it had- certainly the developers working on it could, and I think a lot of the players could too. Without a single moment of doubt, it is still far and away the best, most fun version not just of FM, but of any game that I have played.

• 5 weeks later...
FML failed simply because of human nature. If we are losing... we quit. Simples

For some if they don't win every game they quit.

It's funny you say that.

But new players weren't given the opportunity to win.

They were given a crap team & 500K. No wonder 90% of people left...

Now imagine if they could join & pick Messi, Xavi, Ronaldo, etc...

It's funny you say that.

But new players weren't given the opportunity to win.

They were given a crap team & 500K. No wonder 90% of people left...

Now imagine if they could join & pick Messi, Xavi, Ronaldo, etc...

anyone who joined had this same scenario, if someone spent 6 months growing u really expect noob team to be on the same level? also there was returning stars

most people who left imo dont have willpower for challenge and instead only wish to start on par with Man Utd or FM Live equivelent, this was evidenced when people used to hop around worlds everytime they encounter some issue. Maybe the problem was that some people were just rubbish managers and cant reload the save in FML, no one wants to be the virtual Iain Dowie they all want to be the virtual Mourinho. Soon as u take away this fantasy and introduce reality that they arent Mourinho they will quit.

FM Live rocked, i played from GW4 Beta testing until almost the very end, i miss my former love very much

I want my baby back, baby back, baby back, baby back, baby back, baby back, baby back, I want my baby back, baby back, baby back, baby back, baby back, baby back, baby back, I want my baby back..

I would really have liked this, when it was first around I was not in a position to play it both money and time wise, now I have both its not here!

Maybe one day soon... I will deffo try it if we get it again!

anyone who joined had this same scenario, if someone spent 6 months growing u really expect noob team to be on the same level? also there was returning stars

most people who left imo dont have willpower for challenge

That's 90% of people and the reason the retention rate was so poor.

That's 90% of people and the reason the retention rate was so poor.

I think to retain there needs to be some quick reward, did this game pit similar level people against one another? I think after 4-5 hours a player should start to see some reward, maybe even the type of reward for "doing well" like not loosing by more than 1 goal or something.

With all these new achievement type ideas floating around steam SI could make winning the highest or many targets, each giving a different reward. Say something like get 55% of possession against a better team or have more shots on goal as well as things like dont loose by more than 1 goal or grind out a draw. Even things like stop a goal on the goal line and alike, which could be rewarded some how.

This means lesser players have something to work on and can get some reward sooner, whatever the reward system is in FML.

Not sure if this would work in FML but its something I would want to see if I was designing a game like it and retention of players is what I want. Making it as black and white as losing and winning is a sure fire way to turn people off!

It had to be billed as a long-term game- handing a new player the best players would do nothing for the retention rate. Ok, they come in, challenge for a season or two (to the chagrin of managers who have spent time, effort and money developing their team over time), then leave because they either still aren't winning, or are bored of doing so.

Too much time was spent trying to hook managers whose play style didn't fit the game. There is nothing wrong with people playing a couple of seasons on FM and starting over- and I'd imagine a majority do- but that style doesn't work in an MMO, especially a PvP one.

FML tried to be too much to too many different people- there was a core of maybe 1000-1500 players who got it, but they were spread over far too many GWs. That core probably wouldn't justify the dev/server costs for such a niche game, although I do wonder whether Steam's existing infrastructure might actually be able to help significantly there? I honestly don't know.

Doubt they would considering using steam for a niche game if they were to ever bring it back, so many people here seem to hate it that it would put the game at a disadvantage from the start :(

I just really wish they would open a single server again and see how it goes with some targeted marketing towards the type of people that want to play the game rather than trying to attract those who may not be that interested or whom the game doesn't suit. I think by now most people would pay double the subscription cost, a fiver was waaaay too cheap for what was offered.

• 1 month later...

i'm really missing it...the first days i wasn't thinking it...i was so mad so angry...afted i played fm again (Fm12) i never stopped thinking it...damn god i would sacrifice many things for that game...Noone who played it could resist it...if someone say that was crap or he is lyier or he is noob...that was the game of our dream and not fm...fm is a cheapie crap...fml was the best game i ever played and the game of my dreams actually...every day i'm looking for any announce about any new fml... i hope god and si give me again my dream back..!

I think if this were to succeed 3 things would had to be learned from the past.1- Don't make so many game changing updates has often has before, we can still have updates every 3 months or so but be carefull not ruin everyone's game plan.2- Much more advertising, I remember that I never seen any and had lots of friends that played FM at the time and never heard about FML.3-Make a much bigger server, having 20 servers of just 1000 players was the cause of a lot of problems such has GW hoping, too many matches against offline managers and servers becoming empty. I loved the game like everyone else and love to see it return.

forgive me if im wrong but isnt it about to be launched over in asia? and then planned to be rolled out over here if its a success.. which is surely will be ?

and its being made in partnership with a huge korean mmo developer i believe.... no-one makes mmo style games like the koreans

Hey Andre02, sorry for the late reply. I can put that link up for you in the first post if you want me to :D Any official word from SI if this is gonna be launched in Asia and if there are any plans for Europe and the UK?

I really do hope this comes back :D

Abz.

forgive me if im wrong but isnt it about to be launched over in asia? and then planned to be rolled out over here if its a success.. which is surely will be ?

and its being made in partnership with a huge korean mmo developer i believe.... no-one makes mmo style games like the koreans

All SI/Sega posts on these forums when it was first announced over a year ago (http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/219754-SI-SEGA-and-KTH-sign-agreement-for-South-Korean-MMO) suggested there were no firm plans to roll it out anywhere else, success or otherwise. It was something that they might think about doing way in the future if it FMO turns out to be the next Angry Birds, success-wise, but all of the posts gave the distinct impression that it wasn't a direction they were particularly thinking about any time soon.

cant play fm12 anymore, or any other since fm live shut down, I find them very boring. Bring it back and give the loyal fans something back or just dont listen to us and possibly lose fans.

Thing I cant understand is how free online games like Grand Prix Racing Online and Golf Manger Live can cope with no subscriptions as such and the you have SI moaning about profits when clearly from the amount of people who wanted it back and were paying a monthly subscription on it can't??? Mind Boggling, just something to think about.

All SI/Sega posts on these forums when it was first announced over a year ago (http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/219754-SI-SEGA-and-KTH-sign-agreement-for-South-Korean-MMO) suggested there were no firm plans to roll it out anywhere else, success or otherwise. It was something that they might think about doing way in the future if it FMO turns out to be the next Angry Birds, success-wise, but all of the posts gave the distinct impression that it wasn't a direction they were particularly thinking about any time soon.

FMO is not even launched in Korea yet?

It's also in no way FML, it's a very different beast.

that's not the point...it was a crime that fml closed...i think that fm sales was dropped down too...i'm buing fm near 10years now and i loved fml too...fml was the best fm ever made and i think that if they don't release something same sigame will lose many fans of that kind of game...

The problem with FML is everyone expected to be on an even footing with everything as soon as the signed up. No one was prepared to wait the time it took become a big club, afford the big stadiums etc etc. So ultimately it left those who had the skill and/or the patience to prop up the game, and there just werent enough.

Would kill to have it back. Was great fun.

The problem with FML is everyone expected to be on an even footing with everything as soon as the signed up. No one was prepared to wait the time it took become a big club, afford the big stadiums etc etc. So ultimately it left those who had the skill and/or the patience to prop up the game, and there just werent enough.

Would kill to have it back. Was great fun.

on fml every match was derby...as i remember me i had a decent team and always playing attractive football and catch up best opponents...it was something magical... i'm now playing fm12 and i'm really boring...i don't find any reason to play fm12 cause i don't want to win cpu... ^^ i want challenging versus real ppl...also fml was pretty realistic...!

FML was closed because it didn't make any money. That's the simple reasoning behind it.

I miss it.

Still wish they'd given 500 manager GWs another go, as GWs 2 and 3 were the most fun I had in it. Every team was stronger on average than the other GWs as there weren't teams full of rubbish players - everyone could get decent players right from the start.

FML was closed because it didn't make any money. That's the simple reasoning behind it.

I miss it.

Still wish they'd given 500 manager GWs another go, as GWs 2 and 3 were the most fun I had in it. Every team was stronger on average than the other GWs as there weren't teams full of rubbish players - everyone could get decent players right from the start.

So true. I loved GW3 and making your players into superstars :(

What were out ranks in the end with that relationship going?

I know I tended to hover around 8th, and I'm sure I remember you hitting top 20 with just my youth.

We both made so much money selling those players we didn't want as well.

Noguiera Triangle for the win :cool:

SI tried everything they conceivably could and it was determined in the end that the game's design just didn't work in an MMO environment - it very, very nearly did imo, but ultimately it fell short leaving only a handful of hardcore (and successful - if they weren't successful they'd just keep jumping worlds until they were) players.

What were out ranks in the end with that relationship going?

I know I tended to hover around 8th, and I'm sure I remember you hitting top 20 with just my youth.

We both made so much money selling those players we didn't want as well.

Noguiera Triangle for the win :cool:

When I had Blackwell and that awesome DMC of yours and the striker I managed to hit 3rd at one point. But I was normally around 13th I think. Which wasn't bad for someone developing a side and still building :cool:

The striker was called Daniel Arca iirc.

I still have the pictures from them lot.

How much cash did you end up with? I know I was making roughly £40m a season through player sales and prize money. I destroyed the FML transfer record with a 50m bid at one point and was about to destroy it again with a bit close to £90m just before the GWs died.

I know someone in another world broke my £50m transfer record, but I still refuse to acknowledge that as it was someone spending money for the sake of it when they knew the GWs were shutting down. Mine were all legitimate transfers :cool:

The striker was called Daniel Arca iirc.

I still have the pictures from them lot.

How much cash did you end up with? I know I was making roughly £40m a season through player sales and prize money. I destroyed the FML transfer record with a 50m bid at one point and was about to destroy it again with a bit close to £90m just before the GWs died.

I know someone in another world broke my £50m transfer record, but I still refuse to acknowledge that as it was someone spending money for the sake of it when they knew the GWs were shutting down. Mine were all legitimate transfers :cool:

Arca that's it. What was the DMC called? He was awesome, he was like a young Pirlo.

I think I had about £30 million due to using youths and investing like you did. I was able to start making more once I got my JP up though was well worth the 4 months investment learning.

I still try doing same in FM now but it's just not the same as the AI don't quite develop players like we did.

No doubt about it we would have dominated the GW for years. People might have thought that would be unfair but we sacrifised a lot of seasons to build a team capable of doing well for years. I mean we played all youths against worldclass sides who were already developed. Not many choose the route we did and tried to build for the future. Your side was just starting to mature if I remember right as you had a lot of people hitting 22 and due to the training and amount of games they had, had developed awesome.

Archived