The Home is Where the Park is

Nottingham Forest

I'm going to playing on 11.3 with metal_guitarist's update. So transfers and leagues have been edited to resemble the start of the 2011/2012 season. Although it's starting in the 2010/2011 season in game.

I have a few leagues and nations loaded but due to not knowing where the story will go, I would like to keep that as a suprise if I may.

I don't have the best grammar and realise that it maybe hard to digest at times. I will try to make it easy to follow and from what I have written so far, I feel that it's ok. Any advice or critiscism would be muchly appreciated as I would like to know what I'm doing well and where I can improve.

All characters in this story are real. However, anything that I say about the characters and what they possibly may do isn't reflective of them in real life and I have no bad opinion on them in real life. As well as that, the game engine may throw up things which are out of my control. All game-generated characters are real, with the manager's impressions of those players influenced by the game engine.

Thanks NF.

May 7th 2010

Kick-off was now only fifteen minutes away and whilst the majority of the players were still out on the pitch warming up, I had been excused due to my lack of fitness. I decided to get my notebook out and start jotting down thoughts that were going through my mind.

I had never dreamt of this moment, nor had I planned it to happen. It just did! Infact, I didn’t want to be a footballer, I wanted to be a plumber. That is life though and I’m not going to complain of the career I’ve had. I’ve amassed 463 appearances so far throughout my career and today is my last ever game as a player. I’m not starting though, but I am on the bench and hopefully I’ll get on for the final few minutes. I wasn’t fit for this game and the gaffer knew that. But he felt that I deserved one last chance to feel the atmosphere of the match and crowd itself.

It was a sad day for the club and me in all honesty. I made my debut for the club at the age of 19, when the club was in Division Two. We had narrowly missed out on promotion that season after finishing third. Losing the subsequent Play-Offs as well. This season hasn’t gone to plan either, much like last season. Problems off the field have meant we’ve failed in our aim of bouncing straight back up to Division One. Instead we’ve suffered the embarrassment of two successive relegations which mean that next season we will be back in Division Three.

With ten minutes to go the players and staff started to filter back into the dressing room and with it came the noise of encouragement and hope. Despite what had gone on before, the players were determined to try and give the fans something to cheer about.

My peg was next to one of our brightest young prospects. The boss had decided at the start of the season that he would try and get one older player and younger player next to each other so that it could try to increase team blending. It worked as well as we all got along and had the sort of spirit that other sides could only wish for.

Despite his young age, this player had already proved his ability for this level and potential for the higher divisions. Although nothing being concrete, I knew deep down that he wouldn’t be here next season. It was a shame but when you have someone as talented as he is, you have to let them move on to become a better player.

My notebook was usually the talk of the team and the players thought it was good fun to take the mick out of me for writing down my thoughts. It didn’t bother me though, the banter that is. It’s part and parcel of football and just adds to the enjoyment of the game.

“Right then” came a bark from the front of the room. “Today is the final game of the season and whilst our fate is already sealed, the fans enjoyment isn’t. So I would like you to go out there and give them something to cheer about.

The gaffer was usually a fairly meticulous person when it came to the team talks before games. Today he wasn’t and that was unusual. I didn’t think anything of it though as I figured that as it was the last game of the season and he had nothing to say.

The result of the game itself wasn’t too good but the atmosphere was great. The fans were in high spirits throughout the whole of the game. I didn’t get on in the end but that didn’t bother me. I enjoyed watching games from the dugout as it gave me the chance to think like a manager. For the past few months I had been thinking of getting into coaching but as of yet there wasn’t any offers on the table. The club had been good to me as they had allowed me to take some of the coaching badges needed to start my coaching career throughout the last few years as a player.

Do please take a peek at the house rules ... where you will see that if anyone slags you off I can take action. But don't worry about that since 1) we're a good lot and 2) you're doing just fine. Got your PM .. check your mail when you can. Welcome to the writers' world!

4th August 2010

Not much had happened since the last game of the season and there haven’t been many entries in my notebook. The wife was insistent that we had a long relaxing holiday. Our first since our honeymoon 11 years ago. She had been married to two things throughout my career as a player, the job and me. When the season finished I was always eager for the new campaign to start and I was always trying to keep fit so that I was ready for pre-season training. Now I had retired she felt it was best that we went away for a few months. That’s why there haven’t been any entries in the notebook. She also said I couldn’t take it.

We had been over in the south of France for our holiday. The wife wasn’t a fan of flying and as we could get to France by car and ferry it was where we decided to go in the end. We arrived back home at about 2pm. Whilst the wife decided to start unpacking and sorting out the washing, my first port of call was television and more importantly Sky Sports News. I hadn’t had any contact with the football world whilst I had been away and again that was down to the wife. However, what I did see on the breaking news bar when I turned it on surprised me to say the least.

Peter Reid Resigns as Plymouth Argyle Manager

It had completely shocked me as Peter was a great boss. I only worked with him for a year and half or so but he was great. From my shouting, the wife thought something was wrong and as she got in to the living room she asked

“What’s up darling?”

I replied with the shock still in my voice, “Peter’s resigned”

“Is that all Dean? I thought something important had happened for goodness sake”

“It is important”

As Michelle walked off into the kitchen, I could hear her mutter to herself, “All it is, is a game where 22 overpaid men run around kicking a ball”.

There had been trouble within the club for much of last season. But at no point did Pete say that he was getting frustrated or annoyed with what was going on. The signs shown from last season were that he was enjoying managing the club.

The club was currently going through a transition stage. They were in financial trouble and a few groups were interested in buying the club but as of yet nothing of great significance had materialised.

I hadn’t paid much interest to the football whilst on holiday because of the wife’s insistence on trying to relax. She knew though that I was eager to be playing again or to have some involvement.

Sky Sports News didn’t have any information on who would possibly be taking over at Home Park and neither did I. I got thinking about me possibly managing the club and the thought of that possibility made me excited like a child on Christmas Day. After much thinking, I figured that I wouldn’t be experienced enough for the job and that they’d want someone who had some experience of League Two and possibly helping a team to promotion.

Thanks for the encouragement guys. It means alot.

5th August 2010

"Dean, wake up", Michelle shouted as she continued to nudge me in the back.

“Eh, what?”

“It’s the phone Dean, the phone.”

Still half asleep and coming to terms with being woken up at 2:27am, I answered the phone mumbling

“Hello”

“Hi there Dean, It’s Paul.

“Hi Paul, what makes you phone at this time of morning?” I was actually confused as to why he was phoning at 2:27am. It just baffled me.

“Well, I was phoning to see if you were interested in the vacant managers position here at Home Park. The fans love you and we, the board feel that you’re the man to take us forward.”

“Um, erm....... I’d love to but.....”

“But what” shouted back Paul

“I’ll have to discuss it with the wife. Would it be possible to come to the club later on and talk to you more then, if possible”

Before, Paul could reply I cut off the phone.

I placed the phone back on the hook and tried to get back to sleep. I had always had trouble getting back to sleep once I had been woken and again this was the case. I didn’t get back to sleep until half 5. The thought of me being manager at my local club and the side I supported was great.

I didn’t have a time of when I was going to go to the club to meet Paul, and I didn’t have to either. At 8 I was woken by loud thud on the front door. To my surprise it was Paul. He had decided that as he was in the area he would visit me at my home much to my wife’s annoyance. The wife and Paul had never really got along as she felt he was a bit of nosey git, often wanting to know anything and everything to do with her during matches when the families were in the director’s box.

Paul asked if we could go into my office to talk about the job and where he felt the club should be going and where I felt I could take the club. He spoke about the clubs’ financial issues and whilst I knew it would be difficult, I didn’t realise how tough the job would be.

He started off by discussing the length of contract that he would like me to sign.

“Dean, we would like to offer you a three year deal”

“As much as I would love to sign a three year deal with the club I love, I would only like to commit for two years for the time being. I don’t want to sign up for too long just in case I’m not cut out for management.”

“Two years is good enough for me should you agree to sign. Now about your wage, as financial limitations are at the club we can only offer you £750 a week. It’s a sign of the times unfortunately.”

“Ok Paul, I’ll have to go and think about the offer and talk to the wife.”

As I walked out of the room, Paul had one last thing to say and with a chuckle as well.

“Should you accept this job you won’t have any transfer funds and you will only have £7.5k to spend on player wages and we’re currently spending just short £25k.”

Paul could see my reluctance in taking the job after the chat. He asked what I was worried about and I told him that I didn’t want to takeover and fail. I never liked to fail in life and if I was to take the job, I didn’t want things to get tough and the fans to get on my back and start remembering me for being a poor manager.

The meeting lasted about an hour and whilst Paul had allayed some of my fears, I still felt that I owed my wife an opinion on what I should do. She had supported me throughout my career and I wanted to see if she felt I should take it. As I didn’t want to rush her, in her decision, I told Paul that I would get back to him within a week or so.

I didn’t get to talk to the wife for a few days as she was up north dealing with properties we were interested in buying and developing. What was hers was hers and what was mine was hers. I knew where I stood with this and knew not to argue. She ran the property developing business and now I had more time on my hands I was looking to get more involved.

I decided to book a table at her favourite restaurant for the evening she got back. She automatically sussed that something was up and started to interrogate me as to why I had taken her to Roberto’s. I started to explain that Paul had asked me to become the club’s new manager and that I had concerns and wanted to discuss it with her.

“So why do you want my opinion then?” Michelle asked puzzled.

“Well because I respect you and love you” I actually hated showing my feelings for her in public. I don’t know why.

“Aww.”

“Is that all woman.”

“Well what do you expect me to say Dean. The business is running smoothly and if you got involved you’d just be under my feet. So if you want to take the job you can.”

August 7th 2010

I decided on the Friday evening that I was going to accept the job. My love for the club was the reason why. As it was late on the Friday, before I had made my decision, I didn’t phone Paul until 8am the on the Saturday.

Come on Paul for f**k sake. This is the third ti..

“Oh, hello Paul, it’s Dean.”

“Hello Mr Cuthbert, what brings this phone call at this time of the morning?”

“Um well I’m just phoning to inform you that I am going to accept your offer.” Eager to know when I started, I asked.

“When then?”

“Now” replied Paul.

“Haven’t we got a game today though?”

“We have, but it doesn’t stop you from taking charge does it?”

“Well no, it doesn’t. But what about.....”

“There’s is no buts about anything. Get to the ground now as we have to leave for Bristol in about 20 minutes. You can then sign the contract on the bus and you can get to know the players on the bus and at lunch.”

“Brilliant, I can’t wait to get started Paul. I’ll be there in ten. Thanks for the opportunity. Bye”

I was eager to start and wanted to get used to where I would be working, although today wouldn’t allow me that chance. Despite me being at the club for my entire career, I hadn’t once actually been in the managers’ office.

Bristol Rovers had only accommodated for 23 of our players at lunch but I was adamant that all of 34 players that I had at club including the youth players would be having lunch in their function room and luckily they agreed at short notice. We set off and the journey took about 2 and a half hours. We arrived at about 11am. I wanted to try and get to know all of the players as I knew that all of them would play a key role in the side.

I decided that I would introduce myself over lunch and the players would do the same. I wanted to know what made them tick and I hoped they wanted to do the same. All was going well until we got to Romain Larrieu. From my time as a player at the club Romain had always been one to keep himself to himself. It annoyed him that I had asked him to talk to the rest of the squad. Some of them knew him but some didn’t, and as we had a young squad I was hoping he could be a role model. We moved on though as I didn’t want to force any players to do something they weren’t comfortable with.

Everyone was getting along and at about one I allowed the lads to disperse to go and have a look around the ground as for some it was their first taste of first team involvement. I wanted to have a chat with my assistant manager, Adam Sadler and get his opinion on the squad. Before we did though he handed me reports on all team members. Paul had asked him to do it a few days ago for the when the new manager did take charge.

“Alreet boss", Adam said in his broad Geordie accent.

I nodded back, he knew I was ok and that was good enough for him.

“So Adam, what formation and sort of tactics should we play today?” I asked nervously.

“Well boss..."

I stopped him mid sentence

“Please call me Dean, Adam."

“Ok boss, I mean Dean, I feel we should play a direct game with three up front. We have Wazza who is a fairly strong lad and we could play Arfur and Alf either side of Wazza and look to use their pace."

“Arfur. Alf?”

“Aye boss, oh hang on, you don’t quite know what their real names are do you?”

“No Adam.”

“Well boss, Luke Daley is called Arfur and Thomas Hitchcock is called Alf”.

“Oh I see, I think” I said still looking slightly puzzled. “Are there anymore nicknames I should know of?”

“Well boss, we have the usual of Fletch (Carl Fletcher) and Macca (Shaun MacDonald) who was a new signing on loan from Swansea City. There is also Gary."

“Gary?” I asked, looking even more puzzled as we didn’t have anyone who was called Gary that I knew of.

“Aye boss. We have another new signing called Robbie Williams and as you may or may not know Gary Barlow and Robbie Williams the singer haven’t always got along. So we call our Robbie, Gary."

I was slightly impressed by some of these nicknames, even if they were a bit daft.“Who thinks of them Adam?” I asked again. I felt bad asking all these questions.

“The lads boss, the lads.”

“Cheers Adam. I feel that is all for now. Shall we go and get the lads and get ready for the pre-match warm up."

“Sure boss."

I liked Adam from the off. He seemed calm and composed and whilst I felt I could have a bit of a short fuse and sometimes got too stressed, he would be the calm that I needed.

I'm not sure on what 'official' ruling it has, but generally I think it's okay as long as it's 'starred out' (which it will be because of the swear filter). If you're really worried about offending somebody, maybe place some kind of warning in your opening post so that people know what to expect.

7th August 2010, 3pm

Today was my first game in charge and I was raring to go. The players on the other hand, I’m not so sure. I hadn’t had a training session with them yet but from what Adam had told me, they looked sharp in training. In the pre-season games they hadn’t done so well. Only picking up one win, which came in the final game against Rushden & Diamonds. This result was accompanied by three defeats, all against Championship opposition and one draw against Welsh side Port Talbot.

I decided to go with Adam’s advice regarding how we should play. This meant the squad that we started out with going into my first game as manager was something like this;

Jake Cole, Shaun Cummings, Stephane Zubar, Curtis Nelson, Onismor Bhasera, Shaun MacDonald, Carl Fletcher©, Simon Walton, Warren Feeney and Thomas Hitchcock.

Subs: Ollie Chenoworth, Sam Sawyer, Ben Gibson, Luke Young, Jordan Copp, Thomas Butler and Liam Head.

This was going to be my first eleven for the first few games of the season. Apart from Roman Larrieu who would have started had he not been injured.

Our opponents for the game were Bristol Rovers and they lined up like this;

Scott Bevan, Michael Smith, Adam Virgo, Craig Dawson, Gary Sawyer, Matthew Gill, Chris Lines, Stuart Campbell, Matthew Whichelow, Joe Anyinsah and Scott McGleish.

Subs: Lance Cronin, Lamar Powell, Jo Kuffour, Matt Harrold, Byron Anthony, Mustapha Carayol and Chris Zebroski.

Within the first two minutes we were on the back foot. Joe Anyinsah had made a good run in our half before passing the ball to Scott McGleish who had broken the offside trap. Being able to shoot he was able to bring out a good save from Jake Cole before the ball was cleared into touch.

However, on fifteen minutes it was us that drew first blood. A goal-kick was finally brought down by Carl Fletcher after a few games of head tennis. Carl Fletcher passed the ball to Simon Walton who played a ball over the top which was met by Luke Daley who coolly slotted it past the keeper.

Two chances of counter attacks by each side were wasted. Until finally it was us who took control through Thomas Hitchcock on the left wing, Onismor Bhasera bust a gut to support and ran past him. A nice pass followed and Bhasera was able to continue down the wing before crossing. The ball was a beauty and Shaun MacDonald got to the ball. Scott Bevan looked like he had managed to get the ball only to fumble it. This allowed Macca to score from the tightest of angles.

From the resulting kick-off Bristol Rovers played it to their right back Michael Smith who was deep in his own half. Taking a few touches he played a long ball for Scott McGleish to run onto. Successfully achieving that he managed to unleash a rocket from the right hand edge of the box which whistled past Jake Cole’s left hand. Aeroplanes followed in both celebration and song, leaving the home fans dancing with joy!

Another long ball but this time by Fletch allowed Arfur to use his pace once more. Unfortunately his shot hit the side netting.

I had nothing to say to the lads at half-time about from encouraging them to continue to play like they had been.

Soon after the restart Cole was tested again. A nice ball from Gary Sawyer brought a nice turn and shot from the striker which led to a corner after a save by Cole.

Route one was paying dividends it seemed as a ball by Stephane Zubar was flicked on by Warren Feeney, no danger was evident as Craig Dawson was able to collect. But determined chasing from Daley resulted in a tackle and a lay-off into the oncoming path of Wazza whose shot hit the post.

On 59 minutes a throw in from the left by Cummings was won by Walton, able to control it and play the ball to Hitchcock on the left. With no one closing him down he was able to pass to Daley who was in the centre of the box. He was tackled by Gary Sawyer and the ball went into the back of the net.

Substitution: Jo Kuffour on for Matthew Gill.

A Chris Lines free-kick from the right was met by a strong header by a Bristol Rovers attacker. Cole was there again to make a strong save.

Another route one goal again. Zubar from inside his own half played it out to the right flank. Able to run, Daley put in a great cross which was met by the head of Warren Feeney.

Substitution: Chris Zebroski on for Matthew Whichelow.

Bristol Rovers             1-4   Plymouth Argyle

Scott McGleish         (23)	 Luke Daley           (16)
Gary Sawyer booked     (13)	 Shaun MacDonald      (18)
Stuart Campbell booked (24)      Gary Sawyer own goal (59)
		         Warren Feeney        (66)
                         Curtis Nelson booked (45+2)
                         Luke Daley booked    (75)

Attendance: 8132
Referee: Graham Salisbury

9th August 2010

I was met with some great news as I arrived in to work that morning. I had decided that I wanted to extend Macca’s loan deal and on Saturday I had spoken to him about it. He had enjoyed his first game so naturally agreed to extend it. The confirmation went through on the Monday and he’ll now be at the club for the rest of the season.

I still hadn’t been shown when the managers’ office was but that didn’t take long. I was met at reception by Lucy. For this season she would be my PA as well as receptionist. The club as has been said already was struggling financially so in an effort to cut costs they had tried to double up staff to two or more roles at the club where possible.

I felt that I should start the conversation off and despite being nervous.

“Hi Lucy, I’m Dean. I knew her from my time as a player at the club when she was just a receptionist.

“Hi Dean” she replied was the most beautiful smile I had ever seen. Even better than my wife’s whose was great.

“What’s the plan of action for today then? Do I have any meetings scheduled for today or is it just training when the lads arrive at half 10 later on.” I had arrived at 7 as I wanted to be early.

“No meetings today Dean. So you will just be left on your own to do as you please.”

“Great then.”

“Would you like a coffee at all or any thing to eat” she asked. Still showing that amazing smile which had knocked me for six the first time.

“I wouldn’t mine a glass of orange juice and a fry up if possible please Lucy.”

“I’ll let the canteen know and they’ll bring it down to your office when it’s ready.”

“Thanks Lucy.” I felt obliged to return a smile. Unfortunately though it didn’t go to plan and I kind of looked like something out of Spitting Image.

Armed with the files that Adam had handed me on Saturday, I started to look through them more thoroughly so I could assess the weaknesses of the side. Not that it would matter though as I wouldn’t be able to strengthen the squad with any free agents due to wage restrictions. The loans that I could have made had already been maxed out as Peter had signed Shaun Cummings from Reading until the end of January and Shaun MacDonald and Thomas Butler from Swansea City. The latter only being here until the start of January and Macca being here until the end of the season. We had a few more loanees at the club. Ben Gibson and Thomas Hitchcock had joined from Middlesbrough and Blackburn Rovers respectively.

I didn’t really have much more to do until the lads and the rest of the staff turned up. So I decided to gaze at the beautiful Lucy, occasionally being met with the smile that sent shivers down my back.

It had phoned Adam at 10 to tell him that he would be taking the first part of training as I would be late. He didn’t ask any questions.

“Right lads, we need to pick it up. The gaffer will be here in a minute and if you don’t pick it up, he’ll get annoyed. Seeing as though you’re struggling we’ll go back to basics. When I shout one, touch the floor with your right hand, two, left hand and three we’ll jump in air. Understood!” Shouted Adam.

“I said understood!”

“Yes Adam” Came a shout from the players.

“Well, well, well. I see we’ve got started already then lads.”

“Eh boss” Fletch replied.

“Lads, what you will realise with me is, if we play well, you can relax a lot and things will be fun. However, play badly and I’ll have you training three times a day. I want to see how you all play blindfolded. I believe that it’ll bring out the best in you if you have better awareness”.

Everyone looked slightly puzzled and asked if I was ok.

“Boss, why?” Everyone asked including Adam.

“I’m not sure but we’re going to start now. Here’s a blindfold for everyone and I want to you to split in to two sides of 17. Adam believes that we play best as a more direct side, and on Saturday’s showing he’s right. I don’t want to be a one trick pony though. So we’re going to play 17 a side on an 11 a side pitch”.

Immediately the side split into two teams and luckily for me, I didn’t have to move anyone about.

The training session was a disaster and whilst no one was injured, we didn’t exactly show any promise of becoming a side with better awareness.

“Sorry lads, it was a bad decision to do this”. I said as the players trudged off the pitch looking slightly demoralised.

Sitting in my office there was a knock.

“Come in” I shouted over the music I had playing.

“Alreet boss, could I have a word please?”

“Sure Adam what’s up?”

“Well boss, some of the players are upset with what happened today, and they feel that they should just be doing the basic things at the moment in training. Especially the young players.

“I’ve noted that today’s experiment wasn’t exactly a success Adam and I won’t be doing it anytime in the future."

“That’s cracking like boss. Is it okay for me to go home now like.”

“Yes Adam it is.”

Archived