FM08: Aston Villa Thread - Holte Enders In The Sky!

SkeeterP

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My copy of fm will be deliverd 2moro and i cant wait! Even tho i am a passionate fan of liverpool i have decided for my first fm08 game i will build an all British premiership squad. I chose Aston Villa as my team as they have a few promising British youngsters eg.maloney,davies,moore,young.

So i will sell every foreign player in the villa squad and built a British squad icon_smile.gif

What do u think?

aye they do have some quality young brits and the defence is basically premade for all brits,only a few signings wold be needed,but to lose carew in your first season would be a loss,hes a gem!young is sensational,he's picked up a wee injury.according to my ass. man. gary cahill's my best defender,but he's never gona get a game!

Originally posted by ArcticMonkey:

My copy of fm will be deliverd 2moro and i cant wait! Even tho i am a passionate fan of liverpool i have decided for my first fm08 game i will build an all British premiership squad. I chose Aston Villa as my team as they have a few promising British youngsters eg.maloney,davies,moore,young.

So i will sell every foreign player in the villa squad and built a British squad icon_smile.gif

What do u think?

Well you picked the right team!

Perhaps Ryan Taylor at rightback (£4.5m) and add Michael Owen (£9m) or Dean Ashton up front? Leftback - Shorey or Baines (£10m). Strengthen the midfield with Milner/Michael Johnson?

Let us know how it goes mate icon14.gif

T.V.

is it me or is making a well calculated bid a lot more difficult that in FM2007?

e.g. i make a 15 mil (euros) bid for downing, middlesbrough accepts it. than i think... hell if they accept 15 mil, maybe they'll accept 10 mil plus clauses. so that's what i do.

next thing they tell me is that they want 30 mil for him... than i think, ok, 15 mil will have to do... no way says middlesbrough, they want 40 mil for him this time.

this happens with every english player i try to make a (well calculated) bid for.

how do you guys bid for players? e.g. 20 mil straight away? or do you guys try to squeeze every penny (like me) and make a 10 mil bid + clauses?

Originally posted by -TonyVain-:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ArcticMonkey:

What do u think?

Well you picked the right team!

Perhaps Ryan Taylor at rightback (£4.5m) and add Michael Owen (£9m) or Dean Ashton up front? Leftback - Shorey or Baines (£10m). Strengthen the midfield with Milner/Michael Johnson?

Let us know how it goes mate icon14.gif

T.V. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Will do icon14.gif

Owen will be be my first signing and yes need a DR, might try for micah richards(i'm optimistic lol) or nedum onuoha. Also will be getting m.johnson,j.milner and maybe owen garvan for the future. Ashley Chambers will be another signing, cant get a better young british striker on a free! Rhys Murphy,Andy Carroll and J.Franks are a few others i will be looking at. Will get rid of all the foreigners and then British deadwood like Harewood and J.Collins. How do u rate Aiden Mcgeady,thinking of bringing him in to add a bit of a Scottish vibe icon_wink.gif

Thought I'd add my current game to this thread, start as Villa and now its end of Jan 2008 and I'm 4th.

Players in...

Owen £10m

Maduro £5.25m

Bueno £1.8m

Huntelaar £10m

Ferreira £600k (jan)

Out

Agbonlahor £3.3m

Earls £140k

McGurk £190k

Basically I play....

GK Carson

DR Ferreira

DC Cahil

DC Knight

DL Bouma

MR Young

MC Reo-Coker

DMC Maduro

ML Barry

ST Owen

ST Huntelaar

I have it so Owen is far forward, with Huntelaar coming back a little. Reo-coker is in MC but pushes forward, Maduro is MC but does back more like a DMC.

Team is doing really well now its settled.

Originally posted by letsflipthisplaceup:

D3AN how did you get a 10mill bid accepted for huntelaar?! hes brilliant when played with good crossers of the ball. iv offered 15 and still nothing...*sigh*

I offered it towards the end of July if that helps? icon_confused.gif

Originally posted by ManUTDBoi17:
Originally posted by phugalu:

@ d3ean:

what did you do to get owen? when i offer a contract he says he is willing to come but that i have to improve the offer but i simply can't pay the same wage newcastle pays him. did you unsettle him somehow?

I started with a £21m budget and my wage budget allowed me to offer 97k a week (Owen wanted around 96K p/w), he rejected 97k p/w so i did the same but with a bigger signing on fee and goal and appearence bonuses.

Hope that helps

Ok currently 4th in the league,knocked out the Carling cup early which was disappointing but in Quarter Finals of the F.A cup,just been taken to a replay back at Villa park against Leicester,if i win will play Newcastle in the semi final.

My signings:- Justin Hoyte 5.75 mill

Nicolae Dicae 4.8 mill

Christian Zanetti 2.2 mill

Jermaine Defoe 6 mill

A quick question on Ashley Young,when he plays he looks pretty good,scored a cracking free kick for me in one match but in my game his fitness levels are poor! i don't start him for many games caus he not up to scratch at times & when he does play & plays 90 minutes,he's that tired & jaded it's prob another 5 or 6 games before he's redy to play again! anyone else having this?.....

Originally posted by pazzam:

Ok currently 4th in the league,knocked out the Carling cup early which was disappointing but in Quarter Finals of the F.A cup,just been taken to a replay back at Villa park against Leicester,if i win will play Newcastle in the semi final.

My signings:- Justin Hoyte 5.75 mill

Nicolae Dicae 4.8 mill

Christian Zanetti 2.2 mill

Jermaine Defoe 6 mill

A quick question on Ashley Young,when he plays he looks pretty good,scored a cracking free kick for me in one match but in my game his fitness levels are poor! i don't start him for many games caus he not up to scratch at times & when he does play & plays 90 minutes,he's that tired & jaded it's prob another 5 or 6 games before he's redy to play again! anyone else having this?.....

Young's fitness was poor at the beginning of the season, now a few months in and it's improvin but still not brill.

Originally posted by benavfc10:

just offered 7 mil for owen (valued at 12.5mil) because man city offered 6.25 mil, then came back to me with a straight swap for maloney so im going to do it- is it the right thing??

yes, Definitely, Owen is a great signing and despite Maloney being a good player you cant beat the deadbly finishing of Micael Owen! Just make sure you have enough cover the AM area. Post your team mate.

1st season in jan....

changes alot but usually,

carson

ignashevich, knight, davies/breno, barry

ryan taylor, kuvmanovic/ reo coker, petrov/julian de guzman, young/maloney

carew/moore, doyle/young

thats what i usually do, but mix it up now and again with cahill and others

Decided to go ahead and start as Villa.

First player in is Michael Owen for £9m. Hope he gets back fit and scoring soon though as his wages are massive.

Also coming in (hopefully) is VDV for £9.5m. Agreed a fee for him and I offered him what he asked for in the contract.

Hoping to bring a few more players in too (mainly GK, DR and MRLC), but that will be most of my budget gone on those two players so I need to raise funds first.

Also spent some time and money on coaches and scouts so if this turns into a long-term game I will benefit in a few years from it.

Hi there, I am actually a Manu fan but I go to see villa games. As its boring playing as Utd I thought I would give villa ago.

Not too far into my first season but I just wanted you to see ho class Carew has turned out for me (hes hardly getting mentioned). I play him partnered with Huntelaar. Look at his game stats.

1.jpg

This is my team and positions (based on the Firoa2.tac)

2.jpg

Can not believe how well I have started. Fiora tactic is well worth a look. I slightly changed it and am doing great

3.jpg

ok,just got an 11m bid in for gary cahill from pompey!what do i do?

my defenders at the moment are bouma,melberg,breno,knight,davies,ryan taylor and cahill!

im pushing for a champs league place,sitting in 4th in february and just made league cup final beating man utd on away goals.in 5th round of the fa cup,beat barnet 12-0 in the 3rd round lol!

has anyone else noticed how good luke moore looks,he still aint getting a start in my game cos of doyle and carew and i often play 1 up away from home!

but i really need a bit of help with cahill,cos apparantly he'd be a leading star for any EPL team.and who could i get to replace him?

lerner's a ****er gave me no money in january watched all my targets go to different teams grrrr!

need a new gk for carson leavin,and he really aint good enough.need a new lb rb mc amc and a winger.i dont need much,but i think this is what i need to challenge for the league and a euro comp next year!

Originally posted by bazk87:

ok,just got an 11m bid in for gary cahill from pompey!what do i do?

my defenders at the moment are bouma,melberg,breno,knight,davies,ryan taylor and cahill!

im pushing for a champs league place,sitting in 4th in february and just made league cup final beating man utd on away goals.in 5th round of the fa cup,beat barnet 12-0 in the 3rd round lol!

has anyone else noticed how good luke moore looks,he still aint getting a start in my game cos of doyle and carew and i often play 1 up away from home!

but i really need a bit of help with cahill,cos apparantly he'd be a leading star for any EPL team.and who could i get to replace him?

lerner's a ****er gave me no money in january watched all my targets go to different teams grrrr!

need a new gk for carson leavin,and he really aint good enough.need a new lb rb mc amc and a winger.i dont need much,but i think this is what i need to challenge for the league and a euro comp next year!

if your looking for a new goal keeper go for ochoa i signed him for 2.2mil he is a little better than scott carson and alot cheaper!

Originally posted by sean_oc16:

Anyone have any luck selling Marlon Harewood? Transfer listed him, set his status as not wanted etc and offered him out for £0 and still no interest icon_mad.gif

Tell me about it!

I wish there was an option in 'Discipline Player' where I could beat him with a stick.

T.V.

marlon harewood is just god damn awful,he can rot in my reserves for the next 5 seasons tbh.

an injury crisis has struck at the worst time,can't even field enough subs without going to my reserves now,really annoying!thinking about just sacrificing the fa cup at the quarter final stage to save the legs for a champs league push.

with ochoa,he's not that great,and hes already moved to leverkusen lol,i could bring in enyeama and keep sorensen (even though he's unhappy) and use him during the African cup of nations.

does anybody know the kinda transfer budget you get if you finish top 6 and any good targets worth chasing?

does craig gardner come good?he's so average and such a crier at the minute in mine!

btw luke moore,what a player!12 goals in 11 games since carew got injured!

Just started a game with Villa, because they looked like a good game. Not an amazing aquad, lots of money and time to play around.

I've gone for continental qual.

Currently looking at the current players.

Aaritalo, Modric, Breno, Ingashevich, Aaritalo's two club mates. All will be almost certain buys (assuming I get Modric as theres already competition from Roma, and Fiorentina).

I'm looking to get Cassani for right back, so I'll have two guys very good in that position, with Inga able to play in the middle too.

I'm going to play 4-2-3-1 as I always run it. My fav tactic. Its also generally affective and been doing good on FM08.

Originally posted by hyrule_king:

First two games gone:

Lost 2-1 vs Birmingham (Away)

Drew 2-2 vs Sunderland (Home)

Luke Moore always seems to perform, van der vaart played well assisting two of the goals , i scored two after switiching to 5-4-1.

villaborojm1.jpg

Originally posted by sean_oc16:

Anyone have any luck selling Marlon Harewood? Transfer listed him, set his status as not wanted etc and offered him out for £0 and still no interest icon_mad.gif

Yep, I offered him out for about 2.5mill I think and he got snapped up straight away. He never even played a game for villa icon_smile.gif

Originally posted by spanksta:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by sean_oc16:

Yep, I offered him out for about 2.5mill I think and he got snapped up straight away. He never even played a game for villa icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I offered him for £0

Only offer i got was derby on loan so i rejected it.

Spanksta how much did you get walcott for? Is he good?

I'm halfway through my Villa game. I set the club target as European Qualification. Spent 11.75m on Van Der Vaart, 4.5m on Justin Hoyte, and brought in Fortune on a free as cover for left back.

This will sound a little mad, but somehow i've managed to get to Christmas without losing a match. So I sit atop of the Premiership with Arsenal in second 10 points behind me. Not to say i'm playing well all the time, but i'm beating most teams relatively easy, but the big four i've drawn with so far, except for a freak 1-0 victory at Man United.

I sent Cahill, Osbourne and O'Halloran on loan, and bought a few youngsters in for the end of the season. Petrov is about to be shipped out to some club in spain for 3.5m, which should help me get a replacement come summer transfers.

Still, Carew and Van Der Vaart are getting the goals, with Young contributing on the left flank well enough. In the Jan transfer window I thought I was deserving of a little present for being first, so brought in Il Makoun for 10.5m and Ismaïl Aissati from PSV for 7.5m, so I can move Young onto the right.

So at the moment my first team looks like this:

Carson

Hoyte Mellberg Davies Bouma

Makoun Barry

Young Van Der Vaart Aissati

Carew

Bench:

Sorenson

Davies/Knight

Gardner

Maloney

Moore/Agbonlahor

Anyway, 4-2-3-1 works really well at the moment, especially if Van Der Vaart is used as a playmaker. If I want to be more defensive, Makoun becomes the playmaker, and moves back to sit infront of the back four, with Van Der Vaart moving back to take a less offensive role next to Barry.

Originally posted by spanksta:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by sean_oc16:

Yep, I offered him out for about 2.5mill I think and he got snapped up straight away. He never even played a game for villa icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Finally managed to sell him \o/

Just had to be patient plus he had a couple of good games which helped.

Originally posted by D3AN:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by spanksta:

I offered him for £0

Only offer i got was derby on loan so i rejected it.

Spanksta how much did you get walcott for? Is he good? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I signed him for 10m. At the moment I play him on the wing as I didnt realise how good carew would be. He has played 22 games, got 4 goals, 6 assists and his average rating is 7.08.

On a friends game he aparently is doing great for arsenal playing up front.

Archived