FM08: Aston Villa Thread - Holte Enders In The Sky!

SkeeterP

Hey guys,

So i had to restart after some data problems but have finished my first 8.0.2 season doing my usual of not buying anyone and have finished 5th which i'm pretty pleased with.

Now it's the end of the season and i do need to strengthen.

I desperately need a keeper a CB and a striker.

I have £32m to spend and like to buy british so any suggestions owuld be welcome but given the fact i can't seem to get a British keeper for less than 30 million i may have to go foreign. BTW Lloris and Akinfeev have already been bought.

Cheers guys.

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've recently downloaded patch 8.0.2, so have decided to finally give Villa a serious go using Kimz tactic. I've just finished the pre-season, which went pretty successfully.

Pre-season results:

DOS Kampen - 5:2 win

[barry, Young, Petrov, Carew, Maloney]

Dordrecht - 7:1 win

[Knight, Agbonlahor(3), Maloney, Arshavin(2)]

FC Utrecht - 4:1 win

[Gardner, Barry, Moore, Salifou]

VVV - 6:1 win

[Maloney(2), Berger(2), Harewood]

York - 1:0 win

[Young]

Hartlepool - 2:1 win

[Agbonlahor, Young]

Players In: (I chose the "Top Half Finish" option so I'm playing with £15m)

Andriy Arshavin - £7.5m

Paulo Ferreira - £1.8m

Gonzalo Pineda - £1.6m + 30% next sale (still awaiting WP though)

The rest of the money (around £5m) I'm saving for January. My current squad should be fine for the time being.

Starting lineup for Prem opener against Blues:

GK: Carson

RB: Ferreira

LB: Bouma

CB: Laursen

CB: Davies

DM: Barry ©

DM: Reo-Coker

AMC: Young

AMC: Petrov

AMC: Arshavin

ST: Agbonlahor

SUB1: Sorensen

SUB2: Mellberg

SUB3: Maloney

SUB4: Carew

SUB5: Moore

Hi guys just finished my first season with Villa on 8.02. Am not a Villa fan but have always fancied an all British side on FM and I think Villa are probably one of the only teams you could do this and still maintain quality.

Team looks like this

GK: Carson (but is going back and am desperate to keep hold of him, is it possible?)

DR: Gardner

DL: Bouma

DC: Davies

DC: Laursen

MC: Reo-Coker

MC: Barry

AMR: Maloney

AML: Young

SC: Agbonlahor

Didn't spend much money in the summer have bought in squad players (young and British) such as Mattock, Haynes Kevin McCann, Chris McCann, Scannell, Lafferty, Bostock, Michael Woods and Cathcart

Basically am aiming for the future, do need a new DL, new DC, new AM and another top quality SC. My criteria is - must be British, must be under 23 and must have strong passing and pace attributes despite position. Any help from anyone would be great!

Board love me cos I finished 3rd and won league cup so money is quite strong plus am selling Carew for £22mil.

Any help would be much appreciated... especially on the Carson situation!!

Cheers

Originally posted by jacks23:

Hi guys just finished my first season with Villa on 8.02. Am not a Villa fan but have always fancied an all British side on FM and I think Villa are probably one of the only teams you could do this and still maintain quality.

Team looks like this

GK: Carson (but is going back and am desperate to keep hold of him, is it possible?)

DR: Gardner

DL: Bouma

DC: Davies

DC: Laursen

MC: Reo-Coker

MC: Barry

AMR: Maloney

AML: Young

SC: Agbonlahor

Didn't spend much money in the summer have bought in squad players (young and British) such as Mattock, Haynes Kevin McCann, Chris McCann, Scannell, Lafferty, Bostock, Michael Woods and Cathcart

Basically am aiming for the future, do need a new DL, new DC, new AM and another top quality SC. My criteria is - must be British, must be under 23 and must have strong passing and pace attributes despite position. Any help from anyone would be great!

Board love me cos I finished 3rd and won league cup so money is quite strong plus am selling Carew for £22mil.

Any help would be much appreciated... especially on the Carson situation!!

Cheers

I haven’t played on the 8.0.2 patch but would recommend:

DL – Gareth Bale

DC – Micah Richards

AM – David Bentley/Aaron Lennon

ST – Not sure about top class, but Theo Walcott is probably about the best

hello.

Ive recently started a villa game and have just finished the 2nd season with a decent amount of success so far.

Finished 5th season one and won the FA Cup. Finished season 2 in 5th spot one more after getting held on the final day against west ham and getting over taken by man city and utd. managed to win the euro cup though with a 2-1 win over ajax in the final. had some meorable win on the way most notably 7-0 away win at zaragoza. Also won the charity sheild.

squad currently consists of:

Goalkeepers:

Enyeama/B Costil

Fullbacks:

R taylor/M Voltz

C Pander/A Taylor

Center Back:

Z Knight/C Davies/Nordveldt/Bellaid

Center Mid:

Reo-cocker/N De Jong/G Barry/B Pedretti

Attacking Mid:

A Young/Agbonlahor/Gouffran/Maloney

Strikers:

Adriano/Elmander/Moore

im happy with the squad at the moment and ive got a ver good youngster coming through. Need to get a decent feeder team so i can send them out on loan to get xp though.

Looking forward to starting season 3 when i get home.

hey, glad there is an aston villa thread because i hate playing with big four, this is a bigger challenge and much more interesting.

my experience says that first that you need is strengthening villa's defence. try to get a good cd and good rb (breno, naldo, kompany and coloccini maybe). pay attention to transfer listed players as there can be real gems on offer for small money. this is how i got fabio aurelio who is an excellent left back. second season you need a goalie as carson is returning from loan. likes of robert green or vincent enyeama can be good bargains, stuart taylor will not do. try to add a striker to your new goalie as by the end of second season you'll have aging carew and still to young agbonlahor, maloney and moore, good but still not for highest achievments, get who you can get, depending how much money you have. have trust in your midfielders as they do possess enough quality to hold on through first three seasons. maybe you can add someone on bosman, a cover for reo-coker, for example as he is the only dm with real quality. by acquiring a good striker you can maybe put shaun maloney in the middle and widen the depth of your squad in that area.

playing with 8.0.2 patch

Posted 10 March 2008 20:21 Reply With QuoteEdit or Delete MessageReport This Post

hi all, just started the 2nd season with aston villa on the 8.0.2 patch and ive got £30m to spend.

my team at the moment is;

GK - Scott Carson

LB - Wilfred Bouma

LB - Fabio Aurelio

RB - Antonio Barragan

CB - Curtis Davies

CB - Andrea Barzagli

CB - Mamadou Sakho

DM - Nigel Reo-coker

DM - Isiah Osbourne

CM - Gareth Barry

CM - Manuel Fernandes

LM - Steed Malbanque

LM - Ashley Young

RM - Wayne Routledge

RM - Park Ji-Sung

ST - Henri Saivet

ST - Mauro Zarate

ST - Gabriel Agbonlahor

ST - Rafael Sobis

ST - John Carew

I play various 4-4-2 formations. I've got enough players for most positions but i could really do with a

Back up GK, CB, RB

Any ideas?

Hi there, Have just started as Aston Villa on the Susie Update 8.0.1 so it has all the transfer (Anelka, Alves etc) as i have decided the 8.0.2 is utter rubbish

In this game i have decided to go all english

Transfers In[/bold]

Joleon Lescott - £8 Million

Ryan Talyor - £6 Million

Michael Johnson - £7.5 Million

Aaron Hunt - £4 Million

Transfers Out

None

Leaving me with a starting line up of

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">

Carson

Talyor Knight Davies Lescott

Reo-Coker

Johnson Barry

Agbonlahor Young

Carew

</pre>

So it's a 4-3-2-1 formation, and it has worked well so far, In the league P6 W5 D1 and beat Leeds 1-0 in the LC

directormerrick - Juan Pablo Carrizo, Hugo Lloris, Cassio for GK

Vincent Kompany, Fabricio Coloccini, Naldo for CB

Ryan Taylor, Carlos Diogo, Francois Clerc for RB

Should manage to get 3 of them with your budget once you get the money for Barzagli if he leaves.

Thought id start a new game with Villa, team is as follows:

G Scot Carson

RB Justin Hoyte

LB Filipe

DC Collicini

DC Breno

DMC Banega

MC Jean II Makoun

MC Gareth Barry

MR Gabriel Agbonlahor

AML Ashley Young

FC Jermaine Defoe

SB1 Stuart Taylor

SB2 Curtis Davis

SB3 Shaun Maloney

SB4 Bogdan Stancu

SB5 Nigel Reo-coker

Got a few youngsters who are waiting in the wings:

Pablo Piatti

John Fleck

Marko Marin

Im 9 games in and find myself 19th, I just cant crack the 8.2 patch as yet!

Just finished my first season as Aston Villa, came 4th in the league and runners up in the FA Cup.

Here is my starting line up, can any one PLEASE recommend on who to replace, and who would be a good improvement?

GK: Scott Carson

LB: Kieran Lee

CB: Ryan Nelsen

CB: Curtis Davies

RB: Alan Hutton

ML: Ashley Young

DMC: Gareth Barry

AMC: Rafael van der Vaart

MR: Marius Alexe

FC: Jermaine Defoe

FC: John Carew

Originally posted by Terry_M:

Just finished my first season as Aston Villa, came 4th in the league and runners up in the FA Cup.

Here is my starting line up, can any one PLEASE recommend on who to replace, and who would be a good improvement?

GK: Scott Carson

LB: Kieran Lee

CB: Ryan Nelsen

CB: Curtis Davies

RB: Alan Hutton

ML: Ashley Young

DMC: Gareth Barry

AMC: Rafael van der Vaart

MR: Marius Alexe

FC: Jermaine Defoe

FC: John Carew

Hi mate, could you tell me what tactics your using (downloaded or your own) because im despreatly struggling with my Vilaa team. Lost 5 in a row and just got hammered 4-0 to Citeh!!

I tried that and no joy, infact i've tried a load of downloaded tactics and not having much luck with any of them. So i sat down, read all the tips in the "bible" and designed my own tactic.So far so good, in the semis of the League cup and on a 4 match unbeaten run in the league.

And to add the above, Defoe just is not firing, the last 3 games have all been 5's! Stancu is playing well so will give him an prelonged run out, get rid off Defoe and get someone decent in the January window.

GK - Carson & Viera from Villarreal

RB - Zuiverloon - £8 Million

CB - Davies

CB - Laursen & Knight - Need a new one

LB - Barry - need cover

RM - Matias Fernandez - Top Player

CM - Banega - superb midfielder

CM - Mata - amazing

LM - Young - we all know him!

CF - Rossi - Player of the 1st season

ST - Gabby - Poor season, use Harewood

Just started a game with Villa and am in the first thiord of my second season. Qualified for Europe but have lost my way in the league a little.

Here's a rough list of all my dealings.

1st season:

In: Barnes, Taylor, Mattock, Fleck, Wijnaldum, Zeefuik

Out: Petrov

2nd Season:

In: Bostock, Papadoulopodus, Scannell, Ochao, Spiranovic

Out: Laursen

Been trying to keep my team UK/Irish as much as poss but this has been tricky because they are expensive, so I've imported a few foreigners.

Have 7 million left in the kitty so I'll be buying a CB and a RB in the window. God knows how I'll find a decent British RB at a reasonable price but I suppose that's a different thread.

Btw, are there any youngsters worth keeping an eye on in Villa's youth team? (apart from Delf&*%$ and the Austrian striker)

The Bellon twins and Harry Forrester usually do okay for youngsters as does Barry Bannan.

As for a British right back theres a few decent ones in the Scottish league (Hutton and Wilson) and if that's Ryan Taylor you signed he generally does ok. Also Glen Johnson is solid at right back but whether you'd be better looking outside of Britain, well it really depend on how badly you want a British squad.

Originally posted by BP_Doosra:

The Bellon twins and Harry Forrester usually do okay for youngsters as does Barry Bannan.

As for a British right back theres a few decent ones in the Scottish league (Hutton and Wilson) and if that's Ryan Taylor you signed he generally does ok. Also Glen Johnson is solid at right back but whether you'd be better looking outside of Britain, well it really depend on how badly you want a British squad.

Yeah, I've been keeping an eye of Forrester and Bannan and perhaps I'll promote them in a couple of seasons. I think I've actually released one of the twins but I don't suppose he'll be any better than any player I choose to buy.

As for a RB, It really is just for cover. I have Ryan Taylor but he's the only one in my squad. Because they won't play often it doesn't really matter if they are not the best RB in the world, price is my main concern. Unfortunately I'm using patch 8.02 and Hutton is at Spurs and very pricey.

I've just started a new save as Villa. I have £24 million to spend on players. I#m planning on signing Sakho and Saivet, also getting Veloso for £12 million and I'm after Boruc for about the same price. Could anyone recommend any better signings or am I on the right track? Cheers.

Originally posted by DannyC1888:

I've just started a new save as Villa. I have £24 million to spend on players. I#m planning on signing Sakho and Saivet, also getting Veloso for £12 million and I'm after Boruc for about the same price. Could anyone recommend any better signings or am I on the right track? Cheers.

hi you might struggle to get veloso to sign for you in the first season. if your looking for a good CB then try your luck with barzagli, he would cost about the same and he usually signs for my villa team in the first season

lloris (french gk) would only cost you about £10m and is young and brilliant

i think you will really need is a decent RB, i normally go for barragan but he costs about £5m.

i use the 8.0.2 patch so if your on a different version then all this information is probrably useless

I've just come 2nd in my 1st season with Villa with the following squad:

Carew/Moore

Young Agbonlahor

Maloney Reo-Coker

Huddlestone

Barry Knight Laursen Ryan Taylor

Carson

Liverpool want £28mil for Carson so might try for Ben Foster instead. Also have Jao Moutinho arriving in the summer for only £10mil.

New game with the Villa.

I'll be using Kimz v.2 tactic, so effectively 4-2--3-1.

Players in:

Paulo Ferreira for £1.8m, good experienced player to fill the vacant RB position.

Rafael van der Vaart for £10m + 30% of next fee to add some creativity to my midfield.

Nedum Onuoha for £7.5m. Young, English, bags of pace, capable of covering both RB and CB.

GK: Carson / Sorensen

RB: Ferreira / Onuoha

LB: Barry© / Bouma

CB: Davies / Onuoha

CB: Laursen / Mellberg / Knight

DM: Petrov / Barry

DM: Reo-Coker(vc) / Gardner

AMC: Young / Moore

AMC: van der Vaart / Petrov

AMC: Agbonlahor / Maloney

FC: Carew / Harewood

Pre-season friendly results were very promising:

Livingston 0 - 6 Aston Villa (Carew x3, Agbonlahor x2, Maloney)

Bristol City 1 - 3 Aston Villa (van der Vaart x2, Harewood)

Cremonese 0 - 3 Aston Villa (Maloney, Petrov, Agbonlahor)

Salernitana 0 - 6 Aston Villa (Laursen x3, Harewood, Maloney, Davies)

Taranto 0 - 7 Aston Villa (Carew x2, van der Vaart x3, Young, Laursen)

First Premiership game of the season? Birmingham at St Andrews. Roll on!

First 5 matches:

Birmingham City 1 - 4 Aston Villa (Agbonlahor x2, Carew, Maloney)

West Ham 2 - 1 Aston Villa (Carew)

Aston Villa 3 - 2 Blackburn (Carew x2, Laursen)

Aston Villa 2 - 0 Sunderland (Laursen, Young)

[League Cup] Cardiff 0 - 3 Aston Villa (Barry[Pen], Laursen x2)

So that's 4 wins in 5 games, scoring 13 and conceding 5. All in all, a very strong start to the season blighted only thanks to West Ham buying Canizares, who was tremendous against us.

First season at villa..

GK. Carson

DL. Melberg

DC. Cahill

DC. Laursen

DR. Bourma

ML. Barry ©

MC. Van Der Vaart (Quality)

MC. Gardener/Petrov

MR. Maloney/ Young

CF. Carew

CF. Moore

finished 4th, 3 points behind Liverpool and in the FA cup final against bolton, Also came from 2-0 behind against Man United to win 5-3 in extra time..not bad for my first season icon_smile.gif

started a new villa game on 8.0.2 yesterday. i loaded up the chinese league which gave me the option of starting the game in Jan 2008, which i did.

i'd never started the game like this before but im glad i did. untill jan '08 no transfers happened in the game as it was all randomly generated, which means for the first 6 months of the season all the teams have had to play with the players that were signed by the time 802 was created.

anyway, top six are

arsenal

blackburn ???????

liverpool

chelsea

man utd

aston villa

in the window i bought:

crouch £4.2m (transfer listed)

barragan £5m

Riise £6.5m (in the reserves at 'pool)

naldo £8m (transfer listed)

the villa were already in semis of carling cup, i got to final and beat chelsea 2-0 ( love you crouchy) and thanks to man u, b'burn and 'pool all going for 3 matches without a win im in 2nd 10 points behind arsenal!

just got to end of feb so only about 10 or so games left.

if anybody fancys a change when starting a new game load up chinese league and start game in jan 08

id like to hear anybodys thoughts on this.

6th season with villa. team is as follows;

Gk - Ben Foster

RB - Dmytro Chygrnskyi

CB - Leon Andreason

CB - Micah Richards

LB - Gareth Bale

LM - Arturto Vidal

CM - Miguel Veloso

RM - Kuzmanovic

LAMC - Matias Fernandez (absolute God)

RAMC - Matieu Bodmer

S - Jimmy Briand

Subs

GK - Oscar Ustari

S - Jermaine Defoe

S - Boyan Tabakov

AMC - Henri Saivet

M - Gareth Barry

AMC - Diego Buonanotte

CB - Nordveit

knight isnt very good at all, i sold davies at the end of season 5 for 15million as i had a lot of strength in depth in defence. he ia a good player though. Just won premier league for 2nd time and champions league for the 1st time

I played a Villa save pre patch and had it going a few seasons. First season won Prem and FA cup, 2nd seasonwon League Cup, Prem and CL and third season won everything.

1st season in- VDV, Makaay, Julio Cruz(loan), Banega, Dacourt, Cassetti, Mathisjen(sp), O'Neil, Collocini, Taylor, Moore

1st season out - Knight, O'Halloran, Melburg, Harewood, Osbourne, Petrov and a load of reserves.

2nd season in - Quagliarella, Amelia and some youngsters for the reserves

2nd Season out - Reo-Coker(too good to turn down), Laursen

3rd season in - Saviola, Cassano(loan)

3rd season out - none

played basically a diamond for most matches but occasionally 4-3(DMs)-1-2 against big sides.

first team squad as it was

GK-Amelia

DR-Cassetti

DL-Bouma/Barry/Mathisjen

DC-Collocini

DC-Ridgewell/Davies

DM-Banega

ML-Barry/Maloney/Cassano

MR-O'Neill/Young

AMC-VDV/Cassano

ST-Saviola

ST-Quagliarella

With Makaay,Carew,Agbonlahor,Gardner,Dacourt etc on the bench.

I really enjoyed my Villa save but it became too easy with this team so I didn't start a new one with the new patch

i started a season with villa today

only got to play 4 prem games 2 at villa park won both 2-0 spurs and sunderland and 2 away both 1-1 what is it about villa park??

only signed cris samba and alan kardec (who has been class 4 apparences of the bench for last 15-30 2 goals and 1 asist earning me 7 of my 8 points not bad for 5.5 m and at 18 will be world class if everything goes to plan)

unfortunatley couldnt signed most of the players i wanted

saivet

sahko

vdv- hsv looking 18m

rafinha-wouldnt sign the contract had an 11m fee arranged.

adriano (inter)- 6m wouldnt sign a contract

and i forgot signed luis jimenez for 2.5 m playing stan in the amc role might try barry there as i signed a young dm from athletico on loan looks to be good

hopefully i get my 1st away win.

might get a new lb 5 days before ther transfer window shuts

http://img516.imageshack.us/img516/7638/lbfmjs3.jpg[/img] ]Lb im looking at

what do you think better than bouma

(he is only a quick fix)

Croaker - if you're in the first season, try Paulo Ferreira. Starts the game (patch 8.02) on the transfer list and can be bought for £1.8m. He's been a rock for me as RB so far.

In other news, I've just had the most triumphant 3 results in my FM history:

Aston Villa 5 - 0 Tottenham (van der Vaart x2, Carew x2, Petrov)

Chelsea 1 - 3 Aston Villa (Carew x2, Gabby)

Aston Villa 3 - 2 Man Utd (Laursen, van der Vaart x2 - including a 92nd minute 40-yard scorcher to win the game!)

Sitting in 5th (thanks to Chelsea having +1 better goal difference than us) after 17 games.

Anyone else having difficulty getting anything out of Reo-Coker? I'm playing 2 DM's (preferably him and Barry), but he's been awful so far, averaging in the lower 6's and got straight 6 in his last 5 starts. In response to this, I put in Petrov who has deputised admirably - average rating of 7.21 and scored the best goal of the game against Spurs. All Reo-Coker's been used for in the last few games is a 70th/80th minute sub when I want to defend a lead.

Archived