Liverpool Thread 2011/12

Rafalution

• Replies 13.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think you know what I am getting at. Players really reach their peak in their late 20s not to mention the experience they have gained by that stage of their career. You need a good blend of younger players and experience. We can't base are whole transfer policy on just buying players under 25.

I think £10m would be undervaluing Dempsey. Fulham would want a lot more. He's one of their best players, at his peak and they don't want to let him go. I'd take him for £10m, but I think we'd be looking more at £15-18m (or £25m as its us lolz), which is why I don't really want him.

£40m for a backup leftback, 1st team creative midfielder, two right wingers (1 first team, 1 backup), a goal scoring 1st team striker.

Backup Leftback - £2.5m

Backup Right Wing - £2.5m

Creative Mid - £10m

Right Winger - £10m

Goalscoring striker - £15m

Right Winger - £10m - Dempsey

1 down, 4 to go.

Except he's not a winger?

Not sure why Fulham would accept £8m for him either. We spent £20m on Downing, who is only a year younger. £8m on a midfielder who has 16 goals in the league this season would be a steal.

Then again, I've just seen he has a year left on his contract. Even then, £12-15m imo.

Right Winger - £10m - Dempsey

1 down, 4 to go.

Confirmed?

I wouldn't be surprised if we signed him simply because he's American and the owners would want a american face to market the team in the USA. Living in the USA, I know whatever game is on TV the commentators will always try and big up any American players in the team/squad.

Dembele won't help us crack the US market and increase shirt sales though, or am I being a bit too harsh on our owners?

yes. first hand knowledge says new owners have done nothing to increase liverpool's exposure here and the american market for football shirts wouldn't even be close to virtually ANY other country with even 1/4 of the population.

edit: plus, we have our own stuff going on.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/blog/post/2012/05/04/timbers-fans-sell-gear-getting-everyone-dance

:D

so who'd play carroll tomorrow?

been thinking about it and as much as i'd love to see him play and score at wembley again i think we have to go with a 3 man midfield and luis up top on his own. henderson and spearing with gerrard behind luis for me i think. bellamy and kuyt (doubt kuyt will play tbh, probably downing) on the wings.

not been that impressed with chelsea even after di matteo took over tbh. we need a big game from gerrard though if we are going to win it, literally no one else bar suarez looks capable of threatening their goal.

bit ****ing stupid of anyone to say they'd rather we lose. we've beat two of our biggest rivals to get here and are playing another one in the final, to wish it away just goes to show the state of some of our 'supporters' and what they get out of following a football team. why even bother ffs. kenny will be judged on the league form and no amount of cups can hide the utter failure on that front and if the owners are duped into giving him more time if we win then you should be more worried about fsg's incompetence rather than who's the manager.

people hoping we lose aren't getting the point. the owners understand where we are. an fa cup win plus the league cup means that kenny could say with a straight face that he helped liverpool find its way, that they've "turned the corner" to borrow a phrase, and leave on something close to his own terms. the owners NOT having to take kenny out behind the barn would be a tremendous relief for everyone involved.

also, dempsey is a winger the way luis garcia was a winger.

Getting nervous.

Don't think Carroll will start and kinda hope he doesn't. Need a packed midfield if we are to have any chance of winning, Spearing must start as everyone else is incapable of putting themselves about. Needs to keep his cool though. Kinda have a feeling that we will just nick it.

Fans always think they are being clever when they talk about shirt sales when it comes to buying a certain player. If you want a spike in shirt sales anywhere it's most likely going to an Asia, surely where you name carries some weight. Not sure the Yanks as so guilable as when one of their players joins a club they all go buy his shirt like it's China or something, how many are wearing Fulham shirts as it is, how many Brad Freidal shirts get sold out there?

Wasn't there a massive interest in Charlton in China when they signed that bloke who I forget but his initials were ZZ and Bolton have a following cause of Chung-Lee, I think that's more you 'good shirt sales' type stuff rather than getting Americans to take off their Lakers shirts or all the other stuff that matters to them.

Btw about those white suits I am sure McAteer said it was some kind of mix up, was a pundit here a couple of years back and was asked and it wasn't originally supposed to be like that, think they were sort of supposed to be brown (yeah, a lot better)

Fans always think they are being clever when they talk about shirt sales when it comes to buying a certain player. If you want a spike in shirt sales anywhere it's most likely going to an Asia, surely where you name carries some weight. Not sure the Yanks as so guilable as when one of their players joins a club they all go buy his shirt like it's China or something, how many are wearing Fulham shirts as it is, how many Brad Freidal shirts get sold out there?

Wasn't there a massive interest in Charlton in China when they signed that bloke who I forget but his initials were ZZ and Bolton have a following cause of Chung-Lee, I think that's more you 'good shirt sales' type stuff rather than getting Americans to take off their Lakers shirts or all the other stuff that matters to them.

Would love to sign the Japanese guy at Dortmund (Shinji Kagawa iirc, rumoured he wants to leave), but there'll probably be bigger clubs looking at him this season.

You want to be careful laying this all at the door of Lucas as you may find yourselves disappointed if he comes and everything doesn't completely turn around

I'm not a Liverpool supporter,I follow them with interest since they had a few Norwegians in the team back in the 90s. :)

I don't even think Lucas is that good,but the stats is interesting to me because they must show something ,maybe it shows that the team works better with Lucas than without,maybe it shows the replacement(s) are not up to par,maybe it does show that Lucas is better than I think...

Or maybe the most likely explanation is the enthusiasm having Kenny as manager is wearing off,in which case I'd be terrified of next season with him in charge...who knows.

I didn't mean you in particular, Nordan but in nearly every club thread some mention of a random overseas bloke is followed by talk of shirt sales as if this makes the person more business savvy 'yeah, no, I get that side of the business, you see ... not just a regular fan here'.

Not sure why, but I always seem to find supporters of other clubs criminally underrate Lucas. Maybe because they formed their opinion of him 3 years ago?

Last two seasons he's been phenomenal. Brilliant ball retention, passing fantastically accurate, and his positioning is fantastic to win the ball back.

I didn't mean you in particular, Nordan but in nearly every club thread some mention of a random overseas bloke is followed by talk of shirt sales as if this makes the person more business savvy 'yeah, no, I get that side of the business, you see ... not just a regular fan here'.

No problem,it just looked like you replied to my "Lucas post". :)

Not a regular fan of shirt sales eh? :D

Not sure why, but I always seem to find supporters of other clubs criminally underrate Lucas.

Probably true,just like many Liverpool supporters underrate players from other clubs. :)

Lucas is a lot better than he was 2-3 years ago,that's a fact in my book.

Ah no, Lucas is a good player, don't even remember that post of yours just saw something about 'we can sell shirts'.

Lucas still Liverpool's number 1 midfielder for tackles made and he's been out since November speaks volumes :D

It wasn't long ago Liverpool fans disliked Lucas but I think that was all Roy's fault in the end ;)

Archived