Liverpool Thread 2011/12

Rafalution

• Replies 13.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Apparently the no.10 in that u 18's game was a trialist named Nacho, scored a nice goal and looked good.

On the Guangdong game, players looked ****ed come the end and N'Gog's goal was unbelievably scrappily taken.

On Gerrard, DP's been bashing him for years, i'm hopeful of a renaissance year for him.

Gerrard is going to be great this season. I've never been more certain of anything in my life. He won't be GEEERRRARRRRRDDDDD. He'll be, "Oh Steven". Much more reserved and disciplined. That United game at Anfield was a glimpse into the future for him. With a playmaker next to him, some energy in Henderson and hopefully Downing to make a menace out of Carroll, Gerrard won't have to be as explosive as he always has been. He can just shrewdly go about his work with the ocassional burst of what he does best.

Not to mention he's barely played with Suarez.

Had too many niggles last year and was playing mainly in a Roy Hodgson team. Hopefully this time off will have done him good and he'll be fit for the majority of the season. More opportunity to rest him now that's for sure. Just so unbelievably stupid to write a player of this quality off like this. I have full faith.

The balance of our midfield and attack looks really good now.

In midfield we have industrious players like Lucas, Kuyt and Spearing. Quality ball players in Adam, Aquilani/Meirreles and (hopefully) Henderson. Width from Downing, Gerrard's er, everything, and then upfront Kuyt, Suarez and Carroll tick all the boxes. Pace, power, height, trickery, work rate, big goals, versatility. It's quite exciting.

There's question marks over a few of those players and it's a job in itself getting them all working together, but it's nice to see a strategy. We have a really broad skill set across the squad with that lot.

Just need some pace in the backline and to clear some deadwood.

Glad to see Downing fee agreed. Now let's get sorted a CB and LB.

Agree with Ben about the squad (and Gerrard too). It really is a 'the sum is greater than its parts' squad, much rather go down this route that the City/Madrid buy everyone with a bit of flair one(though we could still do with another).

Good point Rafalution. Rather than being overloaded with superstars we really are just identifying needs within the squad and addressing them.

If we get a first choice left back and a really promising centre back i'll be really confident about our squad.

Happy with Downing, think he'll do very well for us if he brings his Villa form and hits the ground running.

Got to echo the calls for a LB and CB too. Really won't feel comfortable going into the new season with the current options. Fill those gaps and I'll be quietly optimistic.

Is that figure accurate? Thought it was more like £75m? And Torres brought in £50m?

Carroll + Suarez was about £56m, Henderson, £16m, Adam £9m, Downing maybe £19m = £100m.

SOme of those figures might be wildly off though, not to mention how much of them are add ons

is it commolli or dalgish driving your transfer targets? because it seems strange to me that commolli would decide to follow his worst tendency at spurs (overpaying for english talent: bentley, bent) rather than his best of plucking the best from the 'rest' of europe who are ready to step up to the next level (berbatov, modric). thought it was going to be the latter with suarez and you can even 'understand' buying carroll even if the price is twice what it should be because it was a statement after losing torres but henderson, adam and downing? although £9m isn't really that crazy a price and maybe £20m isn't either for downing (who has impressed me a lot this season after always thinking of him as decidedly average- now a bit better than that..) in this day and age but for a club who are already spending 70% of your expenditure on your wages surely a bigger net should be cast rather than er, the north of england?

Think some in the know Liverpool journalists have said we'll be signing a CB from abroad as the value isn't there in the PL, and we're heavily linked with Aly Cissokho. So maybe they just really fancy Adam, Henderson and Downing.

Adam is quite a rare type of player really. I'm totally unsold on him generally but there's not many of his type I don't think.

Just me thats underwhelmed by every signing we've made besides Suarez then? Think its a massive waste of £100m. I understand its going to be incredibly tough to sign top players with no european football, so why do we seem to be shackling ourselves to buying players from midtable clubs for way over their value in order to attempt to close the gap on the top 4? It doesn't seem a sound strategy to me.

At least Downing is proven to be good, we know what we're getting with him. By some way he'll be our best bit of business so far this summer. Even then though, I don't particularly rate him.

Like I said earlier, I don't see much chance of us finishing any higher than 4th at best this season, and thats mainly because Arsenal and Spurs are currently in shambles. Will there be another £100m-£150m to spend on us next season to kick on again? Because the likes of Carroll, Henderson, Adam and Downing won't get us where we all want to be.

I really hope I'm proven wrong ofc, I just can't see us doing much this year. Feel free to slag me off as a pessimistic ****, I can't help but think its realism though.

i'm not sure how the world seems to have forgotten laughing collectively at the transfer at the time because here are two very important facts to consider in terms of context:

1. £16.5m for darren bent was THE highest transfer involving any english club(ingoing or outgoing) in the summer of 2007.

2. £16.5m for a player from a relegated team. easily the highest transfer involving a player from a relegated team ever i'm pretty sure.

slightly less relevant but more a testament to how stupid it was to pay £16.5m for bent when we had two strikers who were arguably the best strike partnership in england at the time and also had jermain defoe who was certainly as good as bent at the time. spending £5m on a punt on a young striker to develop alongside who we had is one thing, but £16.5m of our not-limitless budget on darren bent was just madness.

Am utterly dissapointed now, mainly because i only hate arsenal more than you lot of dirty Zeige stealing scumbags. :D

Downing should do really well for LFC, last season was his first as a fully fit villa player (because they signed him as a crock from us after Petrov injured him ironically against Villa!) and he had a really good season.

No doubt he will do well and in 6 months time everyone will say how much he has improved when in reality he will be playing the same just more people will have noticed it. HE is a no frills kinda player, no step overs, no drag backs, reverse foot flicks. Not even immensley pacey. But he can pass, he has a footballing brain, and oh can the kid cross. Most of the boro goals back when we have Viduka, JFH, Yakubu and Maccarone et al were set up from out left side.

Dont expect him to tackle, he will help out the LB by being a body, but no 50/50 tackles, hell no 60/40 tackles. Cant head either, buthe isnt really asked to do any of that stuff overly much.

Please make me wring, ruin him and allow us to sign him in a couple of years and nurse him back to greatness!

Kenny and Commoli seem to be working a lot closer than Jol and Commoli though. Like Adam, Downing, Carroll, Suarez- they all really do fill gaping holes in our squad in terms of the skill sets they bring. God knows re Henderson but an England international, aged 20 must bring some class.

At Spurs he seemed to be just buying players and dumping them on the manager and telling him to deal. It seems like they're working together here.

i'm not sure how the world seems to have forgotten laughing collectively at the transfer at the time because here are two very important facts to consider in terms of context:

1. £16.5m for darren bent was THE highest transfer involving any english club(ingoing or outgoing) in the summer of 2007.

2. £16.5m for a player from a relegated team. easily the highest transfer involving a player from a relegated team ever i'm pretty sure.

And now Spurs are desperate for a goalscorer and Bent is scoring for fun regardless of the team he's in, is worth more than £16.5 and is England's starting striker.

Clearly no potential there to warrant the price.

Kenny and Commoli seem to be working a lot closer than Jol and Commoli though. Like Adam, Downing, Carroll, Suarez- they all really do fill gaping holes in our squads in terms of the skill set the bring. God knows re Henderson but an England international, aged 20 must bring some class.

At Spurs he seemed to be just buying players and dumping them on the manager and telling him to deal. It seems like they're working together here.

yeah that's a fair point.
And now Spurs are desperate for a goalscorer and Bent is scoring for fun regardless of the team he's in, is worth more than £16.5 and is England's starting striker.

Clearly no potential there to warrant the price.

not denying he'd be worth the money now but i'm pretty sure none of that refutes the points i made. the equivalent would be if charlie adam after blackpool got relegated went to us (eg a team with plenty of playmaker types already) for £16.5m for example. would be ludicrous.

He isnt average. People just claim he is average because whey they saw him for England he struggled, well whoopdy bloody do, 99% of players in an England shirt have been average over the last 10 years.

He doesnt do flash things, so people think he must only be average. He is a good standard English PL player, one who will do a specific job. He isnt a nasri, a Nani, a ronaldo etc isnt a beat a man through dribbling kinda player. He has good control, and when he gets the chance makes a bit of room and gets the ball in.

Him and Andy Carroll has the potential to be very good at this level (i dont think Downing will ever be an England regular he isnt good enough but is a squad player) add in Downing being able to pass suarez could also find himself benefitting also.

Didn't we finish 2nd in the second half of the season table with Kenny? (or 3rd maybe?). Yet somehow having a fit Carroll, a decent winger, and another central playmaker is gonna make us worse.

I thought you were better than to be as simplistic as that.

fwiw, the only top half sides we played away in the final 5 months of last season were Chelsea, Arsenal and Sunderland, all 3 of them smack bang in the middle of horrific runs of form. Kenny did well lifting the spirits of a poor team with the help of an easy run-in. To do well over an entire 38 game period requires us having quality, not a massive squad full of average players. We've been there with Houllier and Benitez.

very happy with downing. like has been said we look such a different animal now then what we did a couple of seasons ago where we relied massively on torres and gerrard to win us games. so many options both formation wise and playing style now. carroll, suarez, gerrard, downing, adam, kuyt, raul/aquilani (expect one of them to be sold tbh) are all attacking threats who offer alot of different qualities.

wtf is going on at villa though? bet bent is well happy.

On a related note, I'm so happy about the way we're conducting business at the moment. Just feels so much more professional than it has been in the past. Apart from rejected bids and media gossip there's nothing coming out of the club or press conferences about potential transfers and no news other than when something has actually officially happened.

I'm thoroughly enjoying it, even if a little underwhelmed with some of the signings.

On a related note, I'm so happy about the way we're conducting business at the moment. Just feels so much more professional than it has been in the past. Apart from rejected bids and media gossip there's nothing coming out of the club or press conferences about potential transfers and no news other than when something has actually officially happened.

I'm thoroughly enjoying it, even if a little underwhelmed with some of the signings.

Yeah I agree with this. The way everyone connected with the club deals with the media atm is something to be applauded.

Wasn't there talk earlier in the summer that Maxi would be leaving? Hope he sticks around, will be a very useful squad player, for a season at least.

And why the **** does this take so long to display what i'm typing? Shambles.

Been doing this to me aswell at times, I put it down to that auto-save thing it does on your posts now.

Must admit I'm surprised by any Downing hate. When Villa last played us (last game of the season, 1-0 to them) he was the best player on the park, by a country mile. In a free role he excelled. Not sure he'll get that same freedom here, but on the basis of that I'd snap their arm off at 20M (reported fee) if that was his average for last season.

Archived