Chelsea 2011/12 Thread

Philip Rolfe

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
so, how are we going to start on sunday?

cech

bosingwa

alex

terry

cole

mikel

ramires

lampard

malouda

anelka

drogba

been away this week. how are mikel, ivanovic etc doing for injuries?

bit concerned that torres still couldn't remember things but is fine to take part. would leave him out myself.

As John Lambie once said 'Tell him he's Pele and send him back on'.

Ah, must have missed that.

From Skysports:

Possible starting XIs

Stoke: Begovic, Shotton, Huth, Shawcross, Whelan, Pennant, Delap, Whitehead, Etherington, Jones, Walters.

Chelsea: Cech, Ivanovic, Terry, Luiz, Cole, Malouda, Ramires, Romeu, Sturridge, Anelka, Drogba.

so, how are we going to start on sunday?

cech

bosingwa

alex

terry

cole

mikel

ramires

lampard

malouda

anelka

drogba

been away this week. how are mikel, ivanovic etc doing for injuries?

bit concerned that torres still couldn't remember things but is fine to take part. would leave him out myself.

Torres confirmed by AVB to play a part in the match. http://www.skysports.com/story/0,,11668_7095632,00.html

Chelsea: Cech, Bosingwa, Alex, Terry, Cole, Ramires, Mikel, Lampard, Kalou, Torres, Malouda. Subs: Hilario, Ivanovic, Benayoun, Drogba, Ferreira, McEachran, Anelka.

Reserving judgement as obviously AVB has seen something in training to make him think Bosingwa is back to being the real deal, Torres is mentally up to the task and completely over his concussion and Kalou... not quite sure what he's seen there but he starts too.

I think Ivanovic had a bit of knock, so not sure Bosingwa is really first choice, think it's just a precaution have Ivanovic on the bench. Surprised Drogba isn't starting either with or without Nando, figured we'd need him for defending corners and throws.

This Torres compared to the one that was at Liverpool the first two seasons is shocking. He's completely regressed.

Disagree completely, he's looked really lively today, some great bursts through with the ball, we just need to get it to him more often in the right positions, as Benoit said.

What are you expecting for him? To take on the whole team every time? The only chances he's had in this game have been ones he's created himself because we've given him no support, give him some decent service and I guarantee you he'll be back to his very best.

Meh, disappointed with the result but pleased at least that Torres, Bosingwa and Ramires seem to have hit the ground running. Terry, Lampard and Ashley didn't have great games although Lampard didn't seem to have as much freedom to go forward as usual today. Can someone, anyone out there please explain how Kalou seems to be rated by manager after manager at Chelsea when he is clearly not up to the task of Premiership football?

Nice to hear that Torres played better.

I can't say I'm not disappointed to have come away without a win on the first day of the season, but I think if this game happened in week 8 we'd all be saying a draw isn't the worst result away at Stoke.

Yeah agree with this, there's no way that all the others will go there and pick up 3 points so definitely could've been worse.

• Administrators
Can someone, anyone out there please explain how Kalou seems to be rated by manager after manager at Chelsea when he is clearly not up to the task of Premiership football?

People far more qualified than us evidently think otherwise. What does that say about them and what does it say about us?

People far more qualified than us evidently think otherwise. What does that say about them and what does it say about us?

That's what confuses me so much, I wonder if Carlo, Guus, AVB or Scolari has ever in an interview said what they see his positive qualities to be, like AVB the other day praising Josh's vision.

Can someone, anyone out there please explain how Kalou seems to be rated by manager after manager at Chelsea when he is clearly not up to the task of Premiership football?

It's not like the squad is full of world class wingers and Kalou is being picked over them.

It's not like the squad is full of world class wingers and Kalou is being picked over them.

But why not? It's not like we're desperately short of cash. For years I have been confused as to why we don't have a single player whose best suited position is on that right wing of the 4 3 3 yet we stockpile strikers and end up trying to shoehorn them in there. We play one striker and have Torres, Drogba, Anelka, Sturridge, Kalou and Lukaku battling for that one spot in the team. We play one right winger also, and we have Ramires who can kind of play there, Anelka who often plays there but generally looks pretty disinterested when he does, Kalou who often plays there but offers nothing and I think AVB sees Sturridge as the answer this season although he is best through the middle.

It just baffles me.

Bittersweet result really. Good to come away from the Britannia with a point, but really, if we had an actual referee in charge and not an absolute ******* we would have probably come away with three points.

**** to see United romping with a very young squad.

Please buy a right winger Roman.

Watching Kalou, Malouda and Anelka try to play football on the wings is depressing, please sign a good winger/wide forward before the transfer window closes.

Torres looked really good though which is encouraging.

• Administrators
Difference between us and Utd is they have wingers, we have Kalou.

No, it's just a difference many CFC fans find obvious because of a frustration at a lack of wingers in the squad. There are many, many differences.

That's what confuses me so much, I wonder if Carlo, Guus, AVB or Scolari has ever in an interview said what they see his positive qualities to be, like AVB the other day praising Josh's vision.

They all have in passing, most memorable was Scolari saying that he taught Kalou to dribble.

I personally think the reason Chelsea avoid wingers is that Stamford Bridge is a fairly narrow pitch which means wingers will struggle to get space. If certain players are going to be innefectual for half the games in a season it isn't worth having them.

Urm, we've been playing with wingers ever since Mourinho?

No, it's just a difference many CFC fans find obvious because of a frustration at a lack of wingers in the squad. There are many, many differences.

They all have in passing, most memorable was Scolari saying that he taught Kalou to dribble.

Yeah I didn't mean it was the only difference, just making a point about Kalou really. Forgot about Scolari saying that :D

SEM confirms, that client John Obi Mikel’s father was abducted in Nigeria on Friday 10th August. Thus far no ransom demand has been received. Mikel was informed by his manager prior to the Stoke v Chelsea match & decided to play so as not to let down his team & family.

Really hope this gets sorted soon

Archived