The npower championship thread 2011/12

Powlay

• Replies 12.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Really wasn't impressed with Boro when we played them at London Road. Created all the chances but couldn't score and they scored with their only real chance :(

Was expecting free flowing attacking football :mad:

Yeah, a few other teams fans have said a similar thing about Peterborough.

All said they were awful, one of the worst teams they have played.

But they still manage to win games. :D

I've sort of written off seeing us get any away results because I always miss the rare wins. The last few I've been to, we've been well and truly stuffed and I think the last away win I saw was October 2010 (lucky win at Scunny).

Stock is having his first good run in the team since 08/09 because of injuries, one of which is a recurring back injury. He's showing signs of finally getting back to his best though. I do think his lack of mobility gets exposed a bit in a midfield 2 that we play now (SO'D always played 3 in midfield), moreso away from home. He's more of a of a midfielder that sits deep and knocks a range of passes about than a creative type.

I did see something about him going on loan to you a few months ago but I'm not sure where it came from. He's played most games under Saunders and hasn't shown any signs of wanting to leave, in fact he's mentioned that he wouldn't mind finishing his career here. He will be one of the better paid players at the club though so they may want to get him off the wage bill.

Ah ok, it's probably just media/rumours.

Putting it together because he used to work with Howe.

That's what we miss, somebody spraying neat passes about.. and some good defence slicing through balls.

We had a neat passer in Jack Cork, who created chances.. and got forward too. He was a bit light weight at times, but he was quality for this League on his day.

You never know, when all your new players settle, your away form may improve. I've seen Saunders say a few times, the rewards of staying in the Championship are massive to a team like Doncaster and they will do all they can to remain in this League.

Birmingham really starting to get going recently, so boring though :/

Talk that Jamie Mackie could be joining us, if so I'd be very happy with him.

Glad to see Craig Conway playing well today, sensed it's been coming, brilliant tackle on Etuhu today and what a way to win it, check out FLS tonight.

And also, Andrew Taylor is probably the best left back we have had since Andy Legg, that's not saying much at all but he is classy, our transfers have all been good if not very good, Earnie was more of a board/Jones signing, was so proud today though, due to the usual occurence when the mood simply faults after losing a goal against the run of play, then conceding another, I thought **** was going to go very badly down, but then wow, wonderful :')

Another thing that I was pleased with today was the entire Canton stand chanting for Marshal to do the Ayatollah immediately after him screwing up for their first goal. In the past he'd be getting criticism, but we all got behind him & it seemed to really lift him. So different this year to how it had been in the final throes of the Dave Jones era.

after forest dominated the half, west ham get given a penalty for handball when moussi had his ****ing back to the ball, this is ****ing ridiculous

I take it you were at the game then, as for where I was sitting both teams were as bad as each other in the first half, with West Ham starting to put pressure on Forest towards the end of the half. Neither keeper had to much to do and both midfield kept giving the ball away.

I didn't get a good view of the first penalty as it happened too quick, and the other penalty looked clear but I'll wait for the football league show to see for definite.

McGugan's goal looked quality, but if someone had to score I would've rather it have been Harewood, but it was nice to see him get a standing ovation.

Agreed with both your points there Gregg(I think :D)

Taylor is really good going forward, when Conway tackled Etuhu, Taylor went forward really well,and very nearly got Miller his second! He does look dangerous running down the line, and looks very cool on the ball too. His long shot was a cracker as well, good save by their keeper that.

Marshall acknowledged the fans by doing the thumbs up as well, well played Canton Stand, would never happen last year surely, everything's so much more fresh and positive, I really like Marshall, certainly one of the best keepers in the leagues, very rarely makes mistakes and of course sets up the old goal or two(Miller's vs Southammpton) :D

Keith Andrews would be a good signing, scores goals for fun for Ipswich, impressive considering the attacking options they have!

Keith Andrews is a good goalscoring midfielder. St Ledger less so, but maybe you could get him to recapture his Preston form.

Early Preston form. Seems to have gone downhill since that Boro move fell apart? Still seems to be a regular for Ireland though whilst the likes of Paddy McCarthy can't even get a call up.

Agreed with both your points there Gregg(I think :D)

Taylor is really good going forward, when Conway tackled Etuhu, Taylor went forward really well,and very nearly got Miller his second! He does look dangerous running down the line, and looks very cool on the ball too. His long shot was a cracker as well, good save by their keeper that.

Marshall acknowledged the fans by doing the thumbs up as well, well played Canton Stand, would never happen last year surely, everything's so much more fresh and positive, I really like Marshall, certainly one of the best keepers in the leagues, very rarely makes mistakes and of course sets up the old goal or two(Miller's vs Southammpton) :D

Keith Andrews would be a good signing, scores goals for fun for Ipswich, impressive considering the attacking options they have!

As I said my concern with Andrews would be what sort of wages he would expect. He's a good player at this level but is he really worth say 20k p/w?

as previously mentioned, i watched it on the tv, but forest were better than you in the first half, not that it really matters, we had 4 great chances to score in the first half

Yeah you started the first half well, thought you should have given your strikers more of the ball, but as you didn't test Green, and resorted to a few long range efforts, you didn't deserve to score (other than the 93rd min screamer)

As I said my concern with Andrews would be what sort of wages he would expect. He's a good player at this level but is he really worth say 20k p/w?

Yep, is he a good enough replacement for Howson?, short-term possibly, long-term probably not, if I remember, could be wrong, he's quite lazy.

That's what I feel about the whole Ipswich squad to be honest, so many ego's, like a worse version of Cardiff last season, containing 2 of them.

Michael Chopra - nuff said

Jay-Emanuel-Thomas - prances about like he's the king

Jimmy Bullard - got an edge to him

Talk about signing St Ledger too :D Probably a few others too!

Tell you who Cov should try and get, Tamas Priskin perhaps? Free transfer now, not sure he'd require too much wages, can score a few and cheap?

Never a red, two defenders covering. Admittedly one was Sonko.

Deliberate handball outside the area has nothing to do with denying a goalscoring oppertunity though does it? so it doesnt matter if he had 10 men covering

it never rains, it bloody pours

i know west ham fans won't want to hear this, but they didn't look anywhere near as good as qpr did last year. that said, i imagine it was an appreciably poorer performance by them. you can say you looked more threatening in the second half, but that's the story of our season: "we looked really good until they scored"

those penalties are cast iron jokes. unbelievable. you get absolutely nothing go your way at the bottom of the division.

It'll take a 15+ Points deduction for us to go down imo, we're 8 points clear at the moment, and we're getting better. Played alot of the top clubs twice, and the ones we haven't we've played away (yes yes MLG I know, we have you away in April). So I think we'll have enough to be atleast 10 points clear come the end of the season. Especially if we keep/strengthen this team we have atm.

it never rains, it bloody pours

i know west ham fans won't want to hear this, but they didn't look anywhere near as good as qpr did last year. that said, i imagine it was an appreciably poorer performance by them. you can say you looked more threatening in the second half, but that's the story of our season: "we looked really good until they scored"

those penalties are cast iron jokes. unbelievable. you get absolutely nothing go your way at the bottom of the division.

For me, if the 2nd hadn't been given for us I would be blasting the ref. 1st is a joke though.

It'll take a 15+ Points deduction for us to go down imo' date=' we're 8 points clear at the moment, and we're getting better. Played alot of the top clubs twice, and the ones we haven't we've played away (yes yes MLG I know, we have you away in April). So I think we'll have enough to be atleast 10 points clear come the end of the season. Especially if we keep/strengthen this team we have atm.[/quote']

No chance of strengthening Benji, unless theres a billionaire idiot Pompey fan who just appears out of nowhere I expect to see Henderson, Ward, Pearce, Williams, Magri and Halford sold this week and we will only get around £4m tops for all of them

No chance of strengthening Benji, unless theres a billionaire idiot Pompey fan who just appears out of nowhere I expect to see Henderson, Ward, Pearce, Williams, Magri and Halford sold this week and we will only get around £4m tops for all of them

Brian Howe :D

Yeah if that's the case then, yes we'll be down, but the team we have at the moment is reasonable for this league. Surely there is some Qatar club that want TBH :(

Brian Howe :D

Yeah if that's the case then' date=' yes we'll be down, but the team we have at the moment is reasonable for this league. Surely there is some Qatar club that want TBH :([/quote']

Our first 11 is comparable to any in this division imo. Its just when injuries and suspensions hit were screwed.

My guess

Henderson - Sunderland

Ward - Watford

Pearce - Burnley

Williams - Everton

Magri - Spurs

Halford - Ipswich

McDermott not knowing the rules? It's been that way for years hasn't it?

It's been that way for years but a lot of assistants implement it wrongly. A few weeks ago a ball was played up to our strikers. One knew he was in an offside position, so stuck his hands up and jogged back towards an onside position. The other one was onside and chased after it. The assistant put his flag up.

I'm annoyed that the first time we get an assistant who has the balls to flag to the letter of the law, it goes against us.

Deliberate handball outside the area has nothing to do with denying a goalscoring oppertunity though does it? so it doesnt matter if he had 10 men covering

Yes it does, or every single player who committed handball would be sent off. Handball is exactly like any other foul, a yellow card if it denies a goalscoring oppurtunity, a red card if it is a clear goal or clear goalscoring opportunity being denied.

MLG biting his lips about pompey for once? :cool:

Waiting for MLG to be a ****.

They owe the taxman yet more money. This time £1.6m and instead of paying it over the last two months they have been adding to their wage bill and bringing in new players instead of using youth team players. The administrator for the parent company has the cheek to say they will pay January's wages, yet continue to avoid paying their bills. Plus they turned down bids for players which could have been used to pay their tax bill.

As a taxpayer does that annoy you in the slightest? If it were any other business they would have been liquidated by now.

As a Forest and a Leeds fan, are you also not annoyed that Forest and Leeds are paying taxes, yet Pompey aren't and instead are using money to fund a team currently above Forest in the league and potentially competing against Leeds for a promotion place? Doncaster, Coventry, Ipswich, Nottingham Forest, Bristol City fans should all be wondering what the Football League are doing. As to should the other 71 Football League clubs.

They owe the taxman yet more money. This time £1.6m and instead of paying it they have been adding to their wage bill and bringing in new players instead of using youth team players. The administrator for the parent company has the cheek to say they will pay January's wages, yet continue to avoid paying their bills.

As a taxpayer does that annoy you in the slightest? If it were any other business they would have been liquidated by now.

As a Forest and a Leeds fan, are you also not annoyed that Forest and Leeds are paying taxes, yet Pompey aren't and instead are using money to fund a team currently above Forest in the league and potentially competing against Leeds for a promotion place? Doncaster, Coventry, Ipswich, Nottingham Forest, Bristol City fans should all be wondering what the Football League are doing. As to should the other 71 Football League clubs.

406304_10150625226146217_627141216_11751196_42042423_n.jpg

Not every club has a billionaire to bail them out.

Archived