The npower championship thread 2011/12

Powlay

• Replies 12.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How is it on Coventry forums atm? Do people say they need this and that when there is clearly a lack of money?

Just noticed this. I haven't been on the Coventry forum (only one that is even remotely active) in about 3 months now. Very rarely went on there before anyway because it's full of utter ***** and most Coventry fans are total idiots. Just listening to the radio phone in after the game is cringe worthy stuff. So yeah to answer your question about 90% of the userbase are idiots and quite a few will be demanding we sign players.

Just noticed this. I haven't been on the Coventry forum (only one that is even remotely active) in about 3 months now. Very rarely went on there before anyway because it's full of utter ***** and most Coventry fans are total idiots. Just listening to the radio phone in after the game is cringe worthy stuff. So yeah to answer your question about 90% of the userbase are idiots and quite a few will be demanding we sign players.

It's sad when your best option is to take administration, take the deduction cut your debt and come back stronger. It seems like you are trying to avoid that which is admirable but it's inevitable you'll be there isn't it?

We've been trying to avoid it for the last 10 years tbh. Really would have been better to go into admin years ago and come back stronger (like say Leicester) but we've been fighting on trying to avoid it for years now and it's lead to years of relegation battles and midtable mediocrity.

Looks like there might be some sort of bid from a Consortium led by Gary Hoffman and Richard Keys which will just lead to a few more years of nothingness before we face admin again. As much as I hate to say it the best thing for us would be to go into admin and go down and rebuild the club without the crippling debts. I really do hate how clubs can use admin as a way to cop out of paying the majority of their debts with very little in the way of punishment but whilst the rules remain as they are it's the best thing we can do. As you say it's admirable we've tried to fight on for the last 10 years but also quite frankly stupid.

That's my take on it anyway. I'm sure it's a situation you know plenty about.

what do you think will happen with Jutkiewicz, G-Man? Our local paper tonight reckoned he is still our no.1 target but thinks Southampton are more likely to sign him. has he been playing well? surely if he has, you'd be utterly screwed without him

Said this back on the 20th (in response to a Saints fan).

You may still come in for Jukebox as well. Certainly expect someone to sign him in January even if at a cut price on deadline day. In fact I shudder to think what our squad will look like come February 1st.
Yeah I do suspect that's why he keeps getting linked but he's a pretty decent player as well. The rest of our entire team only has 1 more goal than him combined! He's not a great goalscorer but he is someone who consistently scores, he's not scored more than once in a game this season and his goals are fairly spread out but I don't think that's a bid thing.

He's still pretty young and he's improved vastly since he joined and he'll be a half decent premier league striker in the future for me. He's basically the entirety of our attack this season and without him we're so screwed.

He's the perfect partner for a goalscoring or technically gifted striker and his partnership with Marlon King at the back end of last season was brilliant. He's not the most composed finisher but he's got a good shot on him and he's good at being in the right position (he missed a load of sitters when he was struggling for form in the 1st half of last season, but he was getting those sitters regularly). He's very good at holding the ball up, winning flick on's, attacking balls into the box etc etc but he's more than just a out and out targetman like Steve Howard or Clive Platt. I suppose I'd describe him very much as an all-round striker. So yeah I think he'd be a good signing for you to partner someone like Emnes up front.

It's cool though because all the football clubs and their players are safe so the Football League need not worry about it :)

If that rule changes then you'll see less clubs selling to each other. Much like a credit crunch' date=' they'll definitely be unwilling to trade with long credit terms anyway.[/quote']

Is that really a bad thing? Ridiculous how much cash is spent in football, practically all lower league clubs run at a loss fgs.

he does sound like someone who would add a lot to our team. emnes and mcdonald have done great this season but we have no plan B at all (bar Barry Robson whacking one in from 30 yards), and it would be good to have someone who offered something a bit different, though tbf Ogbeche has shown he could also do that. if it's between us and so'ton in a bidding war though, I can't see us winning

Hopefully it'll be a good signing. I'm still not happy that he rejected us a few seasons ago to sign on loan for Wolves instead. Hopefully he'll score some goals and all shall be forgotten.

My neighbour has said he's heard rumours that Lewis is off to Wolves for £1.75m or something like that. Has anyone else heard anything of that deal at all. It'd be a good deal imo, especially if we could get a sell on with that as well.

I could see a few deals happening this January.

im not massively bothered about who we sell tbh, only person id be massively bothered about leaving would be gunts or Camp, would also not like to see BOTH raddy and lewis leave, though i cant decide who id want to keep more

Is that really a bad thing? Ridiculous how much cash is spent in football, practically all lower league clubs run at a loss fgs.

In the way clubs are run it'll be far better, just like the banks. I just like football more when there are transfers happening all the time. Monthly instalments being replaced by sell on fees, or the like. It'll definitely be interesting to see what impact the change has.

Oh forgot to add Jukebox is a good penalty taker as well. Something you didn't seem to have when we played you last year :D

Tbh I don't really like the quick turnover of players at all, would be nice to have some players stay here for a while and to have a team I can identify with rather than the current turnover of 2 years for most of our players.

im not massively bothered about who we sell tbh, only person id be massively bothered about leaving would be gunts or Camp, would also not like to see BOTH raddy and lewis leave, though i cant decide who id want to keep more

I reckon we have to keep Camp, Raddy and Blackstock. I'd possibly look into selling McGoldrick, Gunts, Lewis if the price was right. And maybe Chambers or Morgan if we can't get them to agree new deals.

Our local paper tonight reckoned he is still our no.1 target but thinks Southampton are more likely to sign him.
if it's between us and so'ton in a bidding war though, I can't see us winning

It doesn't really say Saints are favourites to get him, just links them as having interest...

His main target is believed to be Coventry City striker Lukas Jutkiewicz. But the in-form front man is also attracting attention from his hometown club Southampton, so there’s a danger his price exceeds Boro’s valuation.

http://www.gazettelive.co.uk/boro-fc/boro-fc-news/2011/12/28/boro-signings-search-begins-for-tony-mowbray-84229-30023088/#ixzz1hrQo1dbw

I think Jukebox sounds exactly like the type of player we should be after, we're crying out for a player who holds the ball up well. Neither Nugent nor Beckford can do it to save their lives. Doubt we'll go in for him though.

Hometown :D

Fitting the Stereotype nicely ;)

Which stereotype would that be?

If you are implying Southampton is inbred' date=' I think I should remind you that you are from England's only island city. ;)

MLG really doesn't like that Saints keep getting linked with Jukebox ;)

I wouldn't mind too much, just think we need a striker with pace more.

Which stereotype would that be?

If you are implying Southampton is inbred, I think I should remind you that you are from England's only island city. ;)

I have heard (my uncle the builder from Southampton) for one, that Southampton is the polish capital of England.. Luckily if there is any inbreeding I can distance myself as I am on the mainland and born in Southampton :(

I have heard (my uncle the builder from Southampton) for one' date=' that Southampton is the polish capital of England.. Luckily if there is any inbreeding I can distance myself as I am on the mainland and born in Southampton :([/quote']

Well you are contradicting yourself then! If it is the "Polish capital of England" (which it probably is), then that is a lot of new people entering the gene-pool rather than being isolated on an island like Portsea Island. "Local shop for local people" etc etc ;)

I think as you were born in Southampton (possibly in the same hospital as me) you should change your footballing allegiance!

well I read that as so'ton will be prepared to pay more which makes them favourites. and since they are top and his hometown club I'd imagine they would appeal a lot more than us

Can't see us being after him. We have a target man striker in Lambert, I see us going for a poacher type instead. Sharp or if we get out done for him by Leicester, I unfortunately wouldn't be surprised if we went after Beckford.

Wouldn't say no to Jukebox though. Ideal competition and back up for Lambert.

Can't see us being after him. We have a target man striker in Lambert, I see us going for a poacher type instead. Sharp or if we get out done for him by Leicester, I unfortunately wouldn't be surprised if we went after Beckford.

Wouldn't say no to Jukebox though. Ideal competition and back up for Lambert.

Beckford is on £30k a week. Would you really be prepared to pay that?

seriously?

Why else do you think he'd step down from getting regular appearances for a PL side for a Championship side?

Nugent is likely on £30k a week too and Mills is reputedly on £25k a week as well. Our silly spending in the summer wasn't kept just to transfer fees.

Not to mention the big upping of wages to sign lengthy contracts for the likes of King, Wellens and Gallagher.

If we only sign one striker this Jan then I can't see it being Jutkiewicz as he sounds pretty much identical to Lambert in the way he plays and anyone can see that what we lack is a quick striker to play alongside Lambert. Wouldn't mind Jutkiewicz at the club as from what I've seen he looks decent, but if he was the only striker signed I'd be pretty dissapointed.

If we only sign one striker this Jan then I can't see it being Jutkiewicz as he sounds pretty much identical to Lambert in the way he plays and anyone can see that what we lack is a quick striker to play alongside Lambert. Wouldn't mind Jutkiewicz at the club as from what I've seen he looks decent, but if he was the only striker signed I'd be pretty dissapointed.

Well apart from the lack of awesome free-kicks :D

25k per week and the 5 odd million for Matt Mills really wasn't a good deal for Leicester was it? From what I've seen he has made a lot of mistakes and 1 or 2 red cards as well?

He was always prone to a mistake or a red card when he played for us, not to mention the fact that he stuck his middle finger up at the home fans for groaning when he kept hitting 40 yrd diagonal passes straight out of play whilst trying to find the winger.

Surprised nobody wants Rocha' date=' apart from a couple of mistakes which are the norm at this level he is a fantastic defender. The most frustrating part of Cotterills reign was him not wanting to pick him for some absurd reason.[/quote']

If I remember right I think he had a very good game against us at Fratton Park and I thought the same. Was it Rocha? It's a while back now... Either way 1 of your centre halves just bossed our strikers that game even though we were poor overall

Could of been, Pearce is another that is improving. Him and Rocha whilst both being rather short did a reasonable job against Lambert recently. It's something that Cotterill did ok with except not having a Left Back, which Appleton sorted straight away with Mattock who has improved since that dreadful Leicester debut.

25k per week and the 5 odd million for Matt Mills really wasn't a good deal for Leicester was it? From what I've seen he has made a lot of mistakes and 1 or 2 red cards as well?

He was always prone to a mistake or a red card when he played for us, not to mention the fact that he stuck his middle finger up at the home fans for groaning when he kept hitting 40 yrd diagonal passes straight out of play whilst trying to find the winger.

Maybe it's just because I'm so frustrated and disillusioned atm and I feel the club is selling its soul for some foreign business owner with no connection to the club whatsoever's get rich quick scheme that I'm taking it out on the overrated overpaid mercenaries we've brought in, but Mills is honestly one of the most dislikeable people in the game. Loud mouthed arrogant thug who seems to think two footed tackles and deliberate professional fouls for no reason don't matter. I'd hate him no question if he didn't play for us. It feels like **** having him as our captain. And I agree about his passing, he is right up there as one of the worst passers of the ball I have ever seen.

I long for Pearson's young hungry side of 2 years ago again. I don't care if we missed out on promotion in the end, following a club like Leicester isn't solely about success, if I wanted that I'd support ManUtd, it's an identity, a part of the county's culture. It was a likable and honest side full of young hungry players who had something to prove. This current Leicester side is like watching England, it's just full of so many dislikeable characters and is run in such a dislikeable manner. We've become everything I hate about the modern boom or bust game and one of the clubs who have fallen foul of that in the biggest way in the very recent past I can't believe we haven't learnt from it. Pretty sure I would hate us atm and be laughing of how much we're underperforming if I didn't support us.

I so want Waghorn, Moussa and Tunchev to come back in for Beckford, Wellens and Mills in the second half of the season and show what they have to prove, but it's never going to happen.

Bleh. Hate to rant and I'm sure I've already covered some of this before so I apologise if I'm repeating myself and I'm sure I'll be a total turncoat if the likes of Mills and Beckford suddenly start performing, but I've never felt flatter supporting us as I do right now.

Maybe it's just because I'm so frustrated and disillusioned atm and I feel the club is selling its soul for some foreign business owner with no connection to the club whatsoever's get rich quick scheme that I'm taking it out on the overrated overpaid mercenaries we've brought in, but Mills is honestly one of the most dislikeable people in the game. Loud mouthed arrogant thug who seems to think two footed tackles and deliberate professional fouls for no reason don't matter. I'd hate him no question if he didn't play for us. It feels like **** having him as our captain. And I agree about his passing, he is right up there as one of the worst passers of the ball I have ever seen.

He was our captain too and so there must be something there that the manager sees. I can't stand him after he said he wanted to play in the PL and then instead chose bigger money at Leicester. I don't particularly dislike you lot personally, I only really dislike Mills tbh. You do have some other players that are on the edge like Wellens - some dirty tackling by him from time to time but almost all teams have that sort of player.

Maybe a side full of dislikeable characters is harsh, it's just that it feels like England a bit as in years of hype and promise amounting to feck all mixed with overpaid big name and underperforming players all playing as individuals rather than a team are just grinding me down.

I'm just hoping NP can build a side similar to the one he had before of young or lower league players with something to prove (Hobbs, Morrison, Waghorn etc.) mixed with wise old heads (Berner, Howard, Oakley). I don't know, maybe I romantacise too much about lower league football, but it just felt more honest and more in sync with the club's identity and what the identity should be about, rather than having a load of big name players here for the pay day. I could accept us being this mediocre under Levein and Kelly when we didn't have a pot to **** in but now it just feels like the club is playing boom or bust at the expense of its integrity. Maybe they're stupid things to value in a football club, I don't know. Bah. I'm just frustrated atm, is all.

Hmm, so the local Hull papers reckon Sharp's been offered to us by his agent as he'd be interested in a move.

However, sources have told the Mail Sharp's representatives have already approached City to let them know he would be interested in a move to East Yorkshire.

They're not sure if Barmby's interested though.

Archived