LAUREN's Arsenal Thread 2011/2012 - 125 Years of Greatness *sponsored by being BRILLIANT*

goon

• Replies 13.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This mornings game was very bad! Our defenders need to go back to school.

AC were very good, but I thought they were very dirty bad people, many times they said they had been hit with elbows when they hadn't.

Also the grass was terrible, I think they meant to do it so that walcott and the Ox! would always fall over.

Mr Wenger should have asked for the game to be moved across the city to Inter Milan's pitch instead

Just like he moved the game against Roma in 2009 to the smoother pitch at Lazio.

I just find trolling irksome especially since 99% of it is ****. I also find spurs fans smugness hard to take since we have always been better in my time as an Arsenal fan we just aren't anymore.

To be fair on the back of years of anonymity, failure and nothingness I'd probably be the same if I were them.

AC were very good, but I thought they were very dirty bad people, many times they said they had been hit with elbows when they hadn't.

Also the grass was terrible, I think they meant to do it so that walcott and the Ox! would always fall over.

Mr Wenger should have asked for the game to be moved across the city to Inter Milan's pitch instead

:D

:lol::lol::lol::lol: Now this is trolling at its best.

years of anonymity, failure and nothingness

Ah, to think....It's all ahead of you still :)

The anonymity part I mean. You should be familiar with the other two by now.

Are the spuds seriously giving us stick even though they haven't won a league since 1961 or something? That's strange.

Says the one who has to affirm to himself in two different threads that Eden Hazard could only ever be a replacement for Modric or Bale. Because there's just no way they'd want to stay at Spurs :D

Are the spuds seriously giving us stick even though they haven't won a league since 1961 or something? That's strange.

Let them enjoy whilst it lasts, once 'Arry goes everything will start to fall once again ;) However it is rich when Spurs fans mock us for being terrorized in Europe when they aren't even in it :D

Says the one who has to affirm to himself in two different threads that Eden Hazard could only ever be a replacement for Modric or Bale. Because there's just no way they'd want to stay at Spurs :D

Two different threads? It's not because they don't want to stay at Spurs, it's because you don't have that sort of money. All though with that said Modric doesn't want to stay at Spurs and if Brace want Bale, Barce will have Bale.

The score is a reflection of the game. A great Milan, reliable in defence and lethal in attack against an Arsenal with few ideas. The Italian side played with the classic 1-4-3-1-2 (which only changed to 1-4-4-2 when Ambrosini came on for Robinho at 4-0), with Van Bommel, Nocerino and Seedorf in midfield, Boateng as the link and Robinho and Ibra up front. The London side, for their part, played 1-4-2-3-1 with little penetration in attack and lacking defensive intensity. They couldn’t deal with Ibrahimovic on his game (a goal from a penalty and two assists), Robinho (two goals) and Boateng (one goal). The mobility of the forwards, along with hard work from the rest of the team (especially Emanuelson who had come on for the injured Seedorf in the 8th minute) was enough to beat Wenger’s team. The full backs, Antonini and Abate, ran up and down the wings and in the centre the number of players ensured that Milan won almost all the second balls. If we add to this that any chances Van Persie created were answered by Abbiati, this would explain a scoreline that renders the tie practically over. Arsene Wenger tried everything, he brought on Henry and Chamberlain, moved Van Persie deeper and then Ramsey to the middle to get more quality on the pitch…But it was not enough to halt a good Milan team. The Italians were better and rightfully won the game.

Would you agree?

Interesting article in the Telegraph today going with the idea that Wenger is going to have a 'summer clear-out' and change things quite dramatically. I'm not sure how reliable the article really is - there are a few lines I disagree with and some which completely contradict themselves ("Theo Walcott is playing for his future" and then Theo Walcott being part of "the core of a competitive squad"). It's a good read though.

Arsene Wenger ready to dump Arsenal flops after San Siro Champions League humiliation

Arsène Wenger is considering a major summer shake-up of his failing Arsenal squad after Wednesday night’s 4-0 humiliation against AC Milan.

wenger_2141582b.jpg

Wenger was genuinely shocked by Wednesday’s match and, having publicly savaged the performance of his team, there was also a 'clear the air’ meeting at Arsenal's training ground on Thursday.

According to one source, Wenger “went crazy” and vented his anger directly at the players for a performance that he regarded as the worst in Europe during his 15 years as Arsenal manager. There was a general acceptance among the squad that Wenger’s criticisms were justified.

Several prominent first-team players are now playing for their future, including Theo Walcott, Tomas Rosicky and Andrei Arshavin, whose contracts expire over the next 18 months but have yet to secure new deals.

Arsenal will also consider offers for Marouane Chamakh and Sébastien Squillaci, who have barely featured this season, while other fringe players, such as Nicklas Bendtner, Carlos Vela, Denilson and Manuel Almunia, are finally expected to be sold.

The club’s half-yearly accounts will be published this month and, following the sales last summer of Cesc Fabregas, Samir Nasri and Gaël Clichy, a likely profit of £55 million is set to prompt disquiet among fans.

Wenger, though, was frustrated in January by the unavailability of his main targets and preferred to keep his budget intact. He is still tracking Cologne’s Lukas Podolski, Borussia Dortmund’s Mario Götze and the Lille playmaker Eden Hazard, but knows that Arsenal would have little hope of competing for such sought-after players if they do fail to reach next season’s Champions League.

Even if they do remain in the Premier League’s top four, Arsenal also face the threat of being outbid by richer rivals.

Wednesday’s defeat was hardly an enticing advert for potential signings and could also only reduce the chances of persuading Robin van Persie to extend his contract beyond 2013.

Van Persie, the Arsenal captain, was said to be forlorn in the dressing room after the match.

Yet while Arsenal are keen to open negotiations with Van Persie, the lack of decisive progress on Walcott, Arshavin and Rosicky suggests an uncertainty on all sides.

Preliminary talks have been held with representatives of Walcott but there is a growing sense that final decisions will be made at the end of the season.

Arshavin is the subject of interest from Russian club Anzhi Makhachkala. With the transfer window in Russia open until Feb 24, he could even leave next week.

Rosicky’s representatives have held talks with Wenger and, although the Czech Republic captain was anonymous on Wednesday, he has been among Arsenal’s better recent performers. The expectation is that he will be offered a one-year deal.

Wenger’s own position also remains a subject of growing conjecture among supporters.

The Frenchman has regularly stressed that he will honour a contract which expires in 2014, although he would consider his position if he felt that he was underperforming. Support from the Arsenal board remains solid and Wenger’s position is not regarded as contingent on finishing in the top four.

There remains sympathy from Stan Kroenke, the club’s majority owner, and the other directors at the difficult job Wenger has had this season following the sale of key players.

The hope is that he can secure fourth in the Premier League and then rebuild in the summer with additions of a comparable quality to Fàbregas and Nasri.

It is felt that Arsenal do still have at least the core of a competitive squad in Jack Wilshere, Wojciech Szczesny, Laurent Koscielny, Thomas Vermaelen, Bacary Sagna, Alex Song, Aaron Ramsey, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, Kieran Gibbs, Van Persie, Walcott and Gervinho.

Emmanuel Petit, who helped Arsenal win the Double in 1998, has urged Wenger to get ruthless with serial underperformers.

“I asked myself what has become of the team that I knew,” he said. “It’s worse than I thought. It’s a gulf which is confirmed weekend after weekend. In midfield, there isn’t anything now, the defence is constantly under construction.

"It’s fortunate that Van Persie is up front. Certain young players haven’t done enough to justify the confidence that Arsène has in them. Walcott – somehow he’s going to have to reach the next stage. It’s been years that he’s been at the same level.

“Aaron Ramsey, against Milan, I got the impression it was his twin brother on the pitch. In the way they behave, in their body language, we see they’re not there anymore.

“You have to send out a strong signal. You have to say to Arshavin, and to Rosicky: 'Gentlemen, thank you, but goodbye’. And soon.”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/arsenal/9087759/Arsene-Wenger-ready-to-dump-Arsenal-flops-after-San-Siro-Champions-League-humiliation.html

We were promised a big summer last year and look what happened. I simply don't trust AW to do what's needed anymore, I can't place my faith in someone that ruins a club over a 6 year period and then describe Wednesday night as a "complete shock". The man is deluded and blind beyond belief. His tactical nous just doesn't exist (couldn't even beat Mourinho once whilst he was at Chavski) and he constantly rewards failure. In my eyes he is finished and has to go as soon as the season is over.

I read the telegraph article earlier, and whilst its something that needs doing, I cant help but think we'll go on a semi-decent run till the end of the season, and AW will say all is rosy again, and nothing much will happen in the summer. Hope I'm wrong, but we've been here before when our season is in ruin by early march. A defeat on Saturday will surely mean something needs to be done.

I've been a supported since 1987, and as fan I'm at my lowest. Even in the Graham years in the mid 90s, we made finals and there was progress in certain areas, the odd signing to get me excited. But the last few seasons its been dropping off, we don't play the great football we used to, and with the odd exception (Ox) I've been more depressed with our transfer dealings than optimistic.

Something needs freshening up, whether it be the players, coaching staff, the board, the manager, or all of them.

Interesting article in the Telegraph today going with the idea that Wenger is going to have a 'summer clear-out' and change things quite dramatically. I'm not sure how reliable the article really is - there are a few lines I disagree with and some which completely contradict themselves ("Theo Walcott is playing for his future" and then Theo Walcott being part of "the core of a competitive squad"). It's a good read though.

The same thing was going to happen last summer

Instead we sold 2 of our best players and kept the rotten core

Not convinced by this statement. We didn't deal with the whole of the rotten core rather than left all of it. This summer something has to give, change will happen and if it doesn't in the summer it will happen in the middle of next season there is too much pressure built up.

I may receive some "Llew, your the ultimate optimist" posts directed towards me, but I do feel that Arsène will move players on in the Summer and replace them with, in general, good established players. I also feel that he'll place a far bigger burden on the shoulders of players like Francis Coquelin, Ignasi Miquel and Benik Afobe.

I read somewhere today that Arsène was fast becoming annoyed with the form and temperament of Theo Walcott. If that's what he feels about Theo, I can only presume what lever his annoyance with players like Arshavin, who has undoubted quality and class but do little and have failed to achieve the standard of performance that has been expected of him.

Speculation is rife that Theo is on his way out in the summer. I can't help but feel he is another victim of Wenger's reward for failure culture.

He has been mollycoddled from the start and never had to earn his place in the team and never held accountable for his failings and dropped when under-performing.

It is only natural he has developed the character of an uncompetitive loser. Such a wasted talent.

The past six years we should have spent refining Walcott's natural game and ensuring he becomes a clinical finisher as he had the qualities to be developed into one of the most devastating poachers in the game.

If Liverpool has shoved a 16 year old Michael Owen on the wing for six years what do you think would have happened?

Who takes a striker who is lighting fast, times runs superbly hardly ever offside, and had decent finishing but has no dribbling ability can't cross and had no creativity and puts him on the wing?

I think the clearest indicater that it is Wenger's mismanagement to blame is he has also sabotaged Carlos Vela's career by pulling the same stunt.

Two of the most promising strikers in football wasted.

I don't think Vela was one of the most promising strikers in football: if anything he's always fallen into the 'mediocre' category you always bang on about. He scored a handful of pretty goals but when we needed a striker to come off the bench and salvage a game for us he was nowhere to be seen. Bendtner would be a far better example of a wasted talent. Arrogant yes - but I think a good manager ought to be able to channel arrogance into performance to a certain extent. Constantly playing Bendtner on the wing last year was massively frustrating, that was madness. He was as clear a central striker as ever. Now he's gone and we're left with Chamakh, who IMO is the not the superior of the two.

I do agree with you on Theo though. Every season we said "Wenger will move him inside" and every season he never did. He had a good run (was it a couple of years ago?) where he was slightly more central and scored some excellent goals, but then did his shoulder in. In the meantime we changed to this more defined 4-3-3 where he was always going to be a winger, he was never given the chance to play even slightly centrally again. I still maintain that on-form, Theo can easily be among our top three players at the moment. Lacks consistency though etc etc

Vela was a sensational young poacher I remember watching him win the 2005 U17 World Cup for Mexico as top scorer before he signed. His finishing has always been deadly.

He got shoved out on the left wing and played a couple of cup games as a target man looking ridiculously out of his depth because he is just not a target man.

You are right about the 4-3-3 being partly to blame, we just don't have players suitable for the formation but I would argue it is not even 4-3-3.

It's very much a 4-5-1 because Walcott is used as a midfielder receiving possession deep in his own half where he is ineffective beyond belief.

When Walcott is actually deployed a wide forward he is a huge threat but this only happens in games when we already have the upper hand in midfield.

Archived