Transfer Clauses

When is best to cash these in? I'm currently managing Portsmouth and I'm in pre season of the second season. Portsmouth's finances have been well documented and is one of the reasons why they are in the Championship now. I'm still in the Championship and on my transfer clauses page, the board have given me the option to sell the clauses for money now instead of in the future.

The clauses are going down every week or so. Maybe a bit later than that. The thing is, I'm not sure when's the best time to cash them in and if there is any way to work out whether you're getting the best deal or not?

Edit: There are four clauses in total with three being a percentage of the profit and the last one being 10% of next transfer fee.

One of them is Martin Cranie. I'm entitled to 35% of the profit and he's currently valued at £1.9m(Signed for £250k) and the board have managed to get a deal for me to get £1.14m if I cash it in now. Coventry have just got promoted and no one is interested in his as of yet.

I always take the Phillip Schofield approach and ask: "What would £1.14m do for me?".

If you don't need the money desperately, then maybe leave it for now.

Do you see him being sold for more than £3.8m in the next year or so?

Sometimes a board arranged clause buy-out hits a top level, then never reaches that amount again.

Archived