Defending and Keeping a Clean Sheet: A forgotten art and an all too often overlooked tactical ideology

So, it has occurred to me recently with regard to the many tactics being created for the beta patched version of FM2008 that the emphasis is always on attacking, and not on defending. In some (but not all), the philosophy seams to be a if “they score two, we’ll score fiveâ€. Whilst this is certainly a commendable way of playing, it isn’t really my cup of tea.

It should be noted that I’m not necessarily referring to ‘defensive tactics’ per se i.e. ones that are designed to be used against the big teams and be backs against the wall and counter. What I’m talking about is a permanent tactic that keeps clean sheets by for example, playing five in midfield, or setting fairly conservative instructions etc that would be the first choice for every game, with the obvious pre-game and in-game tweaks to tempo, width, mentality, time wasting etc.

The Aim : to create normal tempo, possession based tactic that will look to keep a clean sheet first, dominate play second, score from good quality chances third, and when a goal up, try and catch the opposition out on the counter.

I know many of the tactical gurus on here prefer the more attacking side of the game and management, but if there are any out there like me that relish the thought of clean sheets, and going into games feeling confident that you won’t concede, then your help is now needed!

If there’s other community members out there that share my tactical ideology then please do get involved, and we could create our very own ‘keep a clean sheet’ thread with records, advice, formations etc.

So, it has occurred to me recently with regard to the many tactics being created for the beta patched version of FM2008 that the emphasis is always on attacking, and not on defending. In some (but not all), the philosophy seams to be a if “they score two, we’ll score fiveâ€. Whilst this is certainly a commendable way of playing, it isn’t really my cup of tea.

It should be noted that I’m not necessarily referring to ‘defensive tactics’ per se i.e. ones that are designed to be used against the big teams and be backs against the wall and counter. What I’m talking about is a permanent tactic that keeps clean sheets by for example, playing five in midfield, or setting fairly conservative instructions etc that would be the first choice for every game, with the obvious pre-game and in-game tweaks to tempo, width, mentality, time wasting etc.

The Aim : to create normal tempo, possession based tactic that will look to keep a clean sheet first, dominate play second, score from good quality chances third, and when a goal up, try and catch the opposition out on the counter.

I know many of the tactical gurus on here prefer the more attacking side of the game and management, but if there are any out there like me that relish the thought of clean sheets, and going into games feeling confident that you won’t concede, then your help is now needed!

If there’s other community members out there that share my tactical ideology then please do get involved, and we could create our very own ‘keep a clean sheet’ thread with records, advice, formations etc.

This is allways been my way of playing CM and FM......through defence.

Allways loved creating my 4-4-1-1 tactic that was great at the back and a killer up front.

But now on 2008 I am having real trouble doing this mainly coz there are still some issuea aith closing down even after beta.

Having said all that I will be happy to help you with all the advices I can on my defending knowledge icon_wink.gif

I've found that an excellent goalkeeper will do more for clean sheets than any amount of tacticising (if you don't want an all-out defense tactic).

Couple him with two good-to-world-class central defenders, and laugh at the world's top strikers as they get increasingly frustrated with 20 shots not getting through. icon_smile.gif

Did I mention I love Buffon, and wouldn't trade him for half the Milan squad? icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Couple him with two good-to-world-class central defenders, and laugh at the world's top strikers as they get increasingly frustrated with 20 shots not getting through icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The point about a safe pair of hands is of course very true icon14.gif But that's pretty much a given isn't it.....! Still, a good tip nonetheless.

Id go with 4-1-4-1

..........SC...........

MR....MC.......MC.....MC

.........DMC............

DL.....DC.....DC.....DR

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by www2:

Id go with 4-1-4-1

..........SC...........

MR....MC.......MC.....MC

.........DMC............

DL.....DC.....DC.....DR </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ofcourse those ones (1) are ment to be farrows

A 4141 is a perfect tactic for playing a defensively sound game. With it you can choose between different styles of play.

You have enough midfielders to outplay them there if your players are good enough.

You can even give long farrows to your wingers and play a more direct approach behind their defensive line.

Excellent formation.

i tryed the 4-1-4-1 tactic but.. nothing happened. I lost 3 : 0. I am playing in Champions League with Levski and the match i lost was with Chelsea (Chelsea 3:0 Levski).Give me an advice or something i need a draw to finish third in the group...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dark_Hunter:

i tryed the 4-1-4-1 tactic but.. nothing happened. I lost 3 : 0. I am playing in Champions League with Levski and the match i lost was with Chelsea (Chelsea 3:0 Levski).Give me an advice or something i need a draw to finish third in the group... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well I'm sure the gurus know much better than me, but for now try turning on counter attack, increase time wasting, maybe even playing a narrow 4-1-3-2, team mentality set to defensive except for maybe one striker on normal, and sort your set pieces out.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> i tryed the 4-1-4-1 tactic but.. nothing happened. I lost 3 : 0. I am playing in Champions League with Levski and the match i lost was with Chelsea (Chelsea 3:0 Levski).Give me an advice or something i need a draw to finish third in the group... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Are you openly admitting reloading to get the result you want? I admire your chutzpah good sir icon_smile.gif

Or if you are saying you need a draw in your next match I withdraw that comment and apologise sincerely.

As for tactical advice I am the last person to accept it from (although I am more than willing to give it). It is probably more perception than anything but I have always felt that the game rewarded you more for taking an attacking stance.

The best defensively minded AI tactics I've come up against are the 4141 and the 4222 (2 DMs and 2 wingers). Essentially it has been these two tactics that have resulted in possession dominance for me and more shots than the AI team. But these shots are mostly from outside the area making it easy for the keeper.

This often resulted in the 'AI cheats' match statistics which pop up in threads from time to time.

What I would say from my experiences of 'trying' to be defensive is that setting the defensive line too deep is tantamount to suicide. It is best to watch the match on full and if you are attempting to restrict the AI to long shots then adjust the defensive line/closing down so that they are long shots from a 'safe' range. This safe range will depend on the quality of your keeper and also the long shots attributes of the opposition.

I found it was basically 'trial and error' and hope the AI didn't score before you found the sweet spot.

A good indication that you have gotten it right when playing on highlights mode is if the AI shot count is going up without you seeing highlights while anytime you have a chance it is a highlight worthy one i.e. more clear cut.

The type of player also has a huge impact on the effectiveness of a defensive-counter tactic and how you set up.

For instance if you have the 4222 with two DMs and a big man/little man combo you would be looking for passages of play where the DMs win back possession, hit it to the big man up front, who holds up while the wingers advance, distributes to the wingers who can then hit the pacey guy hanging on the opposition cb's shoulder with a quick cross from deep or a through ball. Or the DMs/defenders hitting direct through balls onto the strikers. With this one you can create two mirror image tactics and change in the quick tactic section so as not to get repetitive. And also because the AI will switch it's centre backs to put it's stronger guy on your lump up front. With the mirror tactics you can gain greater control over which side of the pitch you focus on as well.

To be honest alot of this is theory and my attempts to recreate it have failed (probably more to do with my lack of understanding of the sliders than anything). So maybe one of you slider geniuses can make my vision a reality. I'll dig up my attempt at the 4222 and post them.

If I remember correctly I had instructions as follows

FBs and CBs standard defensive instructions.

Two DMs

Zonal Marking, Tight, High Closing down, Mentality first notch of defensive, RWB mixed, FWR rarely, TTB often, cross ball rarely, HUB No.

Two wingers

Zonal marking, Not tight, closing down a few notches from normal, RWB mixed, FWR often, TTB mixed, cross ball mixed. cross from deep.

Target Man: usual settings + normal mentality

Pacey striker: usual settings + 2nd notch of attacking mentality

Team: a couple of notches below normal mentality, 2nd notch of narrow width, passing 2nd notch of direct, tempo 2nd notch of quick, creative freedom 2nd notch of little, time wasting rarely, target man, counter attack, focus passing mixed, defensive line 2nd notch of deep, tackling normal.

I had mixed results with this. Sometimes it worked and sometimes it didn't and I could never really tell why but that's probably down to my inability to read the game. If you wanna give it try and see what happens but I would recommend saving your game in case it goes tits up and you come back here flaming me for getting you relegated/fired icon_wink.gif

I would say my biggest concern about playing defensive on FM 08 is the fact that the match confidence section seems to focus alot on how you won and it appears to do this by looking at shots to judge how many chances you created. It appears to be a balance between quality of chances and a decent number of chances (inability to convert...lack of chances created etc).

actually ive always preferred a tactic that was good defensevily and at the same time good in attack, in the past ive had records in the records thread for most clean sheets and game without loosing and Ive always thought that 442 is the most complete tactic has it has no weakness and has a lot to offer.

Will post something more useful soon.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Pipson:

actually ive always preferred a tactic that was good defensevily and at the same time good in attack, in the past ive had records in the records thread for most clean sheets and game without loosing and Ive always thought that 442 is the most complete tactic has it has no weakness and has a lot to offer.

Will post something more useful soon. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Will look forward to it icon14.gif And yeh I agree the four four two offers probably the best combination of stability and flexibility.

Assumptions:

- At least 4 players are needed in a backline

- DMC needed to connect midfield and defence while protecting the centre defense.

When I build tactics that are sound defensively, I use those principles. Solid backline and a good defensive midfielder will provide cover for your goalie and will minimize the danger of opponents. I think that the role of DMC is crucial in this because he is the one who will prevent your opponents from making those through passes and also trying to tackle those who try to shoot from the distance.

I haven't yet build a defensive tactic in FM08 (Because I play as River Plate in Argentina and therefore, defensive tactics are out of question), but in my current 4-1-2-1-2 (DL-DC-DC-DR; DMC; MC-MC; AMC; FC-FC) setup I have been conceding quite a low amounts of goals after I installed the patch. I have a material advantage, that has to be noticed but still opponents haven't been harassing my goalie too much.

Sorry about the little derail there. But now back to the topic. I think 4-2-2-1-1 (DL-DC-DC-DR; DMC-DMC; ML-MR; AMC; FC) would be a good base to start build on. Reasons:

- Solid back four

- 2 DMC's taking the space away from the opponents attacking midfielders

- ML-MR will handle opposition fullbacks and also support the attack

- AMC to break up opposition defence and also to support the lone striker.

- FC to cause problems on opposition defence together with AMC.

The key thing would be quite laid back and passive defensive department (back 4 + 2DMC). They will stay in your own half and will start harassing the opposition just before the last third. This way they don't leave too much space behind them for long balls/ through balls and will stay as a compact unit. ML and MR will try to harass opposition playmaking a little bit earlier. They should be able to prevent the opponents wide players getting too much space for crosses. Then the AMC. He would be your playmaker and the key man when going forward. When your team will get the ball, the ball is launched quickly to AMC who will then distribute the ball either to the FC or to the wings for upqoing ML/MR. They along with FC should be your only attacking force.

The aim is to frustrate the opponent players by sitting deep and then close them up aggressivily in the last third. This way they don't have the space to make the key passes. Maybe they go and try to play the ball to their forwards with long balls. Those shouldn't be a problem if you have DC's who are good in the air. Even if the opponent has a good towering FC, you still have 2 DMC's to support your DC's and picking up loose balls. Maybe opponent will try to overnumber you by bringing more players upfront? Well, that really doesn't matter because of your defensive 6 and the support of ML/MR. Also the AMC could be barrowed to support more defensively. By bringing more players upwards, the oppositions defence is vulnerable to quick counterattacks.

I not sure how many chances this kind of playing style would generate in a match, but I see a great potential in this approach. Feel free to comment my gibberish.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Assumptions:

- At least 4 players are needed in a backline

- DMC needed to connect midfield and defence while protecting the centre defense.

When I build tactics that are sound defensively, I use those principles. Solid backline and a good defensive midfielder will provide cover for your goalie and will minimize the danger of opponents. I think that the role of DMC is crucial in this because he is the one who will prevent your opponents from making those through passes and also trying to tackle those who try to shoot from the distance.

I haven't yet build a defensive tactic in FM08 (Because I play as River Plate in Argentina and therefore, defensive tactics are out of question), but in my current 4-1-2-1-2 (DL-DC-DC-DR; DMC; MC-MC; AMC; FC-FC) setup I have been conceding quite a low amounts of goals after I installed the patch. I have a material advantage, that has to be noticed but still opponents haven't been harassing my goalie too much.

Sorry about the little derail there. But now back to the topic. I think 4-2-2-1-1 (DL-DC-DC-DR; DMC-DMC; ML-MR; AMC; FC) would be a good base to start build on. Reasons:

- Solid back four

- 2 DMC's taking the space away from the opponents attacking midfielders

- ML-MR will handle opposition fullbacks and also support the attack

- AMC to break up opposition defence and also to support the lone striker.

- FC to cause problems on opposition defence together with AMC.

The key thing would be quite laid back and passive defensive department (back 4 + 2DMC). They will stay in your own half and will start harassing the opposition just before the last third. This way they don't leave too much space behind them for long balls/ through balls and will stay as a compact unit. ML and MR will try to harass opposition playmaking a little bit earlier. They should be able to prevent the opponents wide players getting too much space for crosses. Then the AMC. He would be your playmaker and the key man when going forward. When your team will get the ball, the ball is launched quickly to AMC who will then distribute the ball either to the FC or to the wings for upqoing ML/MR. They along with FC should be your only attacking force.

The aim is to frustrate the opponent players by sitting deep and then close them up aggressivily in the last third. This way they don't have the space to make the key passes. Maybe they go and try to play the ball to their forwards with long balls. Those shouldn't be a problem if you have DC's who are good in the air. Even if the opponent has a good towering FC, you still have 2 DMC's to support your DC's and picking up loose balls. Maybe opponent will try to overnumber you by bringing more players upfront? Well, that really doesn't matter because of your defensive 6 and the support of ML/MR. Also the AMC could be barrowed to support more defensively. By bringing more players upwards, the oppositions defence is vulnerable to quick counterattacks.

I not sure how many chances this kind of playing style would generate in a match, but I see a great potential in this approach. Feel free to comment my gibberish. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have to say i quite like the sound of this, i think it might be worth a go with liverpool.

What tempo would you use?

Also passing style, short or direct or a mixture of the two?

The tempo issue is a tough one. Some part of me would suggest that playing slow tempo would be better so that your players wont give too much hurried inaccurate passes that will give the ball away to opponents. On the other hand, that tactic relies a lot of counter attacking game, so the ball should be quickly distributed forward. I guess I'll have to lean a little bit on the latter one, so quite fast.

When it comes to passing I guess a mixture would be better. The catalysts to attacks are probably the DMC's who should quickly send the ball forward for counter attack. So direct passing to them. ML/MR on mixed passing because they need to connect with both DMC's and AMC/FC. Short would take chackle them and direct would be too much I guess. AMC also on mixed so he can distribute the ball. I would also suggest that DC's would be on quite short passing, because they rarely have the passing ability of DMC's so their passes would just probably end up straight to opponents.

I forgot to mention in the earlier post that ML/MR should obviously be running forwards often. Also, it might be an good idea to set one of the DMC's to mixed forward runs so he can make runs from the deep and offer an option for long shots (obviously he would need to have the ability to shoot from the distance).

Thanks for that Jeztah!

I will start a game tonight and give a update after a couple of months.

It will suit the old Liverpool style of play, defensive, counter attacking.

My only concern will be when we play defensive minded teams.

Any suggestions?

I don't want to hyjack your quest for a ultimate defending tactic. But (being dutch) the best defence is to attack. With that i don't mean nevemind defending but good defending starts up front with your strikers putting pressure on your opponents defenders and push far up the pitch to allow them no time witch lead to errors.

You're not hijacking the thread at all icon_smile.gif Clearly one approach to defending successfully is defending from the front and pressing hard. Although this would normally be used in an attacking tactic, it helps to win the ball back and therefore helps to stop the opposition scoring.

More typical of a tactic designed to keep clean sheets is perhaps lower closing down so that the team maintain their shape and not having defenders dragged out of position.

Law Man first of all I have employed a 4411 with Man Utd on my thread and seem to be doing well. I started the season with 5 clean sheets mainly due to closing down players on the opposition instructions. You could say that you would expect to be successful with Man Utd but I needed a good test bed for implementing the tactic. I have found using the instructions and watching match highlights that the opposition only tend to get chances via set plays as the forwards can't be supplied due to the closing down. If I wanted rugby score games then I could push on but I feel that the scores are some what more realistic using this tactic. All the information is in my thread which would link in nicely with yours. There is also a nod of the head to you for penalty taking stats - many thanks again.

You're very welcome Barnsley FC icon_smile.gif I played quite a bit with my team Bolton and Anelka slots the pens away nicely.

I'll give your tactic a go on a new game with Blackburn and report back to you in your thread.

Whilst the opposition instructions are useful, ideally I'd want to try and create a tactic where I only needed to use opposition instructions in exceptional situations, i.e. to stop an exceptional player.

Many thanks as I am being accused of pimping my tactic - I can't help it as I am just excited that I have finally found something that works. As far as opposition instructions go I would say the minimum you need to look at is long shooters closed down onto their wrong foot and closing down the lone striker in one up front scenarios. The problem I have found with attempting to stop one exceptional player in the past is that the rest just up their standard to make up for it. I can only say it is worthwhile with the closing down as the opposition players get frustrated giving dead ball situations away and yellow and red cards leading to more domination. Please don't forget to watch for their substitutions as I have been stung too many times in the past by fresh legs coming on.

i just noticed this thread and i thought i should share the results(with people who actually care about defending)i have had with a tactic i created for chelsea a few weeks ago.

i decide to create this tactic a few games into the season when i was letting in too many goals for my liking.

since i made the tactic i played 16 games and only let in 1 goal (just one of those goals) but i haven't tested the tactic for a long time because of RL commitments.

good old cleansheets..

by the way i am using a 4141 tactic possession bases slow tempo 1 touch football but with an attcking mentality. i dont use a target man/playmaker as i think football is and should be a team game(at least for now).

i think the key to creating a defensively solid tactic is to get the closing down right especially in midfield.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

Put up screenies of your instruction up and/a download link and we might be able to find some common themes to keeping clean sheets.

KUTGW </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i will when i have time. icon_smile.gif

For mufc12345 and others stuck on opposition instructions. I am using the instructions to close down on all the midfield players showing weaker foot to wingers and long shot merchants. I also close down the fullbacks to weaker foot and if the opposition is playing with one striker I close them down to weaker foot. On the one striker issue I always man mark with my lowest pace defender and put the other on zonal. If the opposition has a central defender with low composure (below 11) I close them down as well. It may seem like a lot but the results speak for themselves. I never have anybody on more than normal tackling and put really bad ones on easy to avoid bookings.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Barnsley FC:

Law Man I am sorry to say there will not be any more involvement from me due to the replies I have had on my thread. This game frustrated me for years and I was only trying to help. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's a shame, it seemed a decent thread. I wouldn't let a few people put you off though, stick with it. The only advice I'd give is that (rightly or wrongly) people might be more receptive if you chose a lesser team to do your thread with. Just think of it like this: if you prove your theories etc and manage to help people along with way to success, and you do it with a team like say Sunderland, then those critics won't have a leg to stand on.

I do believe you have the floor, kind Sir icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Goober:

Thanks for that Jeztah!

I will start a game tonight and give a update after a couple of months.

It will suit the old Liverpool style of play, defensive, counter attacking.

My only concern will be when we play defensive minded teams.

Any suggestions? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Have you tried the approach? How are the results?

I understand the concern you may have and rightfully so. I think that this kind of tactic is maybe not fully suitable for a big side who is expected to win every game. I guess the tactic could be quite easily modified to 4-2-3-1 (DR-DC-DC-DR; MC-MC; AML-AMC-AMR; FC) for more attacking approach. Then just increase the closing down, raise defensive line to normal(ish) and make wide players more offensive (eg increase their mentality). But that is just a guess.

Can anyone post a link for the 4-2-3-1 you guys are using?

@Barnsley FC: What are the meaning of the arrows on your backs?! It looks nice though..

Thanks in advance!

Guest Neil The Great

Just out of interest i was wondering if anyone had ever completed a premier league season without conceding a single goal. I only ask because on fm2005 i managed to concede only 3 goals in a season (admittedly with chelsea) and it just made me think that it must be possible with a bit of luck.

recently played a champs league semi final where i lost to barca 5-3 at nou camp when playing as man utd. in return leg tried out the 4-1-4-1 tactic i seen mentioned on here with all players in defensive frame of mind except wingers and forward. barca scored first in the 30th minute making it 6-3 on aggregate. this however was to be their only goal. goals from ronaldo (38th), rooney (63rd) and ronaldo (78th) meant i went through to the final on aggregate. thanks for the help with the defensive formation cos of it im in the final

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Have you tried the approach? How are the results?

I understand the concern you may have and rightfully so. I think that this kind of tactic is maybe not fully suitable for a big side who is expected to win every game. I guess the tactic could be quite easily modified to 4-2-3-1 (DR-DC-DC-DR; MC-MC; AML-AMC-AMR; FC) for more attacking approach. Then just increase the closing down, raise defensive line to normal(ish) and make wide players more offensive (eg increase their mentality). But that is just a guess. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I won all my friendley matches with no problems, however i lost 2 and drew 1 in my first 3 games.

I think it was down to my CD not being right, i tweaked my settings a little and have now gone on a 18 games unbeaten run with 12 clean sheets.

My current tactics are as follows,

HOME - 4411

Mixed Mentality, Short passing, Slow build up, Wide, Mixed CD, Normal def line

AWAY - 4141

Mixed Mentality, Short passing, Slow build up, Narrow, Mixed CD, Deep def line

At home i have been using Torres up front and give quite a lot of creative freedom to my AM and 1 CM.

Away i have dropped the CD down across the team as i didnt want my players out of position.Crouch has been my point man away from home, i have used him as a target man with him holding up the ball to bring the others into play.

For both formations i have found my wingers are quite instromental in the build up.

I will try to get some pics up when i get a chance, i dont get a lot of time on the game when im not at work, and when i do i would rather be playing it! icon_smile.gif

Also, Micro-ice: how do you set up regarding marking: man or zonal? or some players on man and others on zonal? And do you do tight marking? This is the bit I find most difficult, it's alot more difficult than say obvserving changes in passing length and mentality.

Archived