Critique of player ratings - is 0-10 (or realistically 4-9) enough?

Totally agree with Cheds initial post bout keepers ratings, they are quite unfair.Keepers always get blamed ratings-wise for goals even if they can do nothing about them. Defenders on the other hand never get the blame. How many times have you seen one of your defenders commit a shocking error which costs you the game only to see them rewarded with a 7 and the poor keeper getting a 6? It happens a lot imho.

Also its ok saying dont rely on the ratings, use your judgement but unless you can actually sit throught the whole 90 minutes you are relying on the ratings heavily for guidance.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jon French:

Also its ok saying dont rely on the ratings, use your judgement but unless you can actually sit throught the whole 90 minutes you are relying on the ratings heavily for guidance. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Excellent point - what use are the ratings if they aren't representative of the players performance?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Amaroq:

While we're on the topic, I think .5's would be a nice touch, so we'd have, say:

5.5 = underperformed

6.0 = slightly unimpressive

6.5 = average

7.0 = slightly above average

7.5 = performed well </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

half points would add unnecessary resolution to the ratings. The resolution is available, but simply unused! For the complete scale to be used, the ratings should become more severe, on both ends of the scale. Unused points are wasted points, adding half points to a rating only adds more wasted points! Better to utilize the full scale.

Examples:

First minute red card for unprofessional behaviour: 1

Unable to contain opposing winger as a fullback, where all the assists come from his side of the pitch, no positive contribution at all, always losing the ball: 1

Striker is invisible, barely a shot on goal, static and not creating chances for himself or others, basically making your side play with one man down: 2

DMC who allows the the opposing midfield to spray passes which leads to goals: 2 or 3

Centerback who makes a mistake leading to a goal: 4

Rather unremarkable play, on the wrong side of neutral: 5

Rather unremarkable play, on the right side of neutral: 6

AMC with the killer deciding through ball: 7

Winger outplaying the fullback, always creating danger and chances, getting his runs and crosses in: 8

DC completely shutting down the danger man for the entire game, while also distributing the ball quickly and accurately: 9

The rare days that every touch of the ball is golden, every play is good and effective: 10

I realise, this turns a 5.5 to an average seasonwide performance. This is ok and in other fields, a 5.5 or 6 is a pass and I think this should be so in FM too. I don't know why this should be 6.5 or 7 in FM-world.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Queen of the Stevenage:

My thought on the goalkeepers issue is, if a keeper does nothing for the whole game, then has to make a save if he does his job and makes a save even tho' he has been not involved in the game then it's worth noting. Any top keeper needs 100% concentration for 90mins, not just 60 or 45. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

But what about when he doesn't make a save? In the current state, a GK gets a 7 or 8 if his team beat the opp 4-0 even if he didn't touch the ball.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TeeWee:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Amaroq:

While we're on the topic, I think .5's would be a nice touch, so we'd have, say:

5.5 = underperformed

6.0 = slightly unimpressive

6.5 = average

7.0 = slightly above average

7.5 = performed well </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

half points would add unnecessary resolution to the ratings. The resolution is available, but simply unused! For the complete scale to be used, the ratings should become more severe, on both ends of the scale. Unused points are wasted points, adding half points to a rating only adds more wasted points! Better to utilize the full scale.

Examples:

First minute red card for unprofessional behaviour: 1

Unable to contain opposing winger as a fullback, where all the assists come from his side of the pitch, no positive contribution at all, always losing the ball: 1

Striker is invisible, barely a shot on goal, static and not creating chances for himself or others, basically making your side play with one man down: 2

DMC who allows the the opposing midfield to spray passes which leads to goals: 2 or 3

Centerback who makes a mistake leading to a goal: 4

Rather unremarkable play, on the wrong side of neutral: 5

Rather unremarkable play, on the right side of neutral: 6

AMC with the killer deciding through ball: 7

Winger outplaying the fullback, always creating danger and chances, getting his runs and crosses in: 8

DC completely shutting down the danger man for the entire game, while also distributing the ball quickly and accurately: 9

The rare days that every touch of the ball is golden, every play is good and effective: 10

I realise, this turns a 5.5 to an average seasonwide performance. This is ok and in other fields, a 5.5 or 6 is a pass and I think this should be so in FM too. I don't know why this should be 6.5 or 7 in FM-world. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> icon14.gif

I think in a similar way! IRL there are lots of performances deserving 1-3. In fm is not possible to see that unless team loses by a huge amount or the player scores a couple of own goals, allows a penalty and gets booked.

Archived