FM08 : Olympique Lyon : Les Gones

Purefun

Originally posted by purefun:

hopey

i see you have piacenza as a feeder well me to, good team to loan to strong comp. but i prefer spanish for citizenship of my southamerican players takes only two seasons

also good result against marseille

great transfers

Yeh I got piacenza as one of my first feeder clubs, there in Seria B however they have some good talent there, while also offering a good chance of football to some of my talents. If they get promoted that would be a huge bonus. I am trying to get a good Spanish feeder club but I just can’t get a decent one at the moment icon_frown.gif I do have an Austrian team who are in the UEFA cup now though, so I have sent some of my younger good players out there to gain some experience in Europe and in the league.

Thanks, yeh not bad transfer eh? icon_biggrin.gif

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by wizkid:

Thinking of starting as Lyon.

Can someone suggest who i should be looking to sell and which positions need strengthening.

I f you could also tell me the preferred starting XI that would be great

Firstly if you start you should look to get rid of Anderson and santos, this will free up some EU places and you can also strengthen your squad with better players. You can also sell Baros he is okay but I wouldn’t say he should be a regular in your team.

Strengthen? Your Goalkeeper for a start as Coupet is out for a couple of months at the start, I signed Kameni for 8million. Personally I would recommend him he is immense. Also possible a striker, although Benzema and Fred are a dream upfront if one of them is injured you need a top quality guy to step in which baros isn’t imo! I also strengthen in the Centre Back position and midfield. Ideal buy would be Makoun II he is an amazing DMC ask purefun icon_wink.gif

Best starting eleven? Well default wise I would say

GK – No decent default option

LB – Grosso (Solid as a rock, good attacking too)

RB – Clerc/Revellie – Both strong and good fullbacks

CB – Squilichi – A lot of teams want him, he is strong and powerful

CB – None at the start

ML – Ben afra (Young and talented)

MR – Keita (So powerful and a good player)

MC – Bodmer/Juninho P/Toulan

Strikers – Fred/Benzema

Note – And this is important! Try your god damn hardest to keep Toulan, a lot of clubs will want him and make bids! Try and negotiate to something stupid like 100million, but be warned if an offer is 20 Million plus your chairman my accept it on your behalf (annoying!)

I hope this helps you a lil’ wizkid, but mainly enjoy!

wizkid

I've just started as Lyon too mate. Already had a game 4 seasons in but it disappeared, and had played previously on FM2007. Best foreign club to play as, and french league has fewer restrictions on signings than the other strong leagues in europe, such as Spain, Germany, Italy, Holland and England.

purefun will be able to help you out loads I expect, but everyone on here is pretty helpful.

Starting lineup will depend on your formation. I always tend to look at a teams strengths and decide from there. I'm using a 4-1-4-1 formation, with two attacking minded full backs, a DM who will sit and protect, a MR and ML who are attacking minded so pretty much become wingers, and a lone striker supported by 2 AMC.

4141wa9.th.jpg

I tend to sell Anderson, Muller, Vercoutre, Santos and most of the reserves (not many worth keeping imo).

GK Obviously you will need a new keeper, as Coupet is first choice but injured for 6 months, Barthez is a good short term option, but i opted to get in 2 youngsters as well in Costil and Jourdren, who both go on to become ace.

DEF If you have sold Muller and Anderson, then you are left short for cover, but have freed up a nonEU slot! Cris is captain and a great CB but another that is long term injury. Squillaci also a good CB. So you need to get a CB or 2 to cover, I opted for Chris Samba from Blackburn (£1.2m) and Cahais (£500k) from Boca. After a year or 2 they are both worth several million (i think Cahais was sold on someones game recently for 30m euro's). Wing backs you are pretty sorted for, as Clerc and Reveillere, and Belhadji and Grosso are great. (I replaced Grosso in second or third season in previous game.) Also young Abenzoar is a good prospect.

MID Lots of options here. Toulalan, Bodmer, Kallstrom, Juninho, Ben Arfa, Keita. All great players. Juninho has the legs for probably 2 seasons, 3 at a push. Your Chairman has a bit to play here as well, as on my previous game ha accepted bids for Toulalan and Kallstrom, this time only Toulalan (£24m plus 50% sell-on). I bought Banega and loaned him out but then lost Toulalan so recalled him.

Govou is one I have never rated and I always try to sell him (no takers yet), others may have different opinions.

STRIKERS Benzema, Fred, and Baros, all score goals. Here it depends if you are playing with 2 or 1 strikers, because Fred is another long term injury. I'm playing with 1 so didn't consider another as vital, but ended up splashing £13m on Briand who is a goal machine.

there are also some great young french players to be had. Scwechlen (DC), Benzerga (DM), Sakho (DC), Saivet (FC), Sankhare (MLC), Jourdren (GK), Costil (GK). Just look through the French National U19 and U21 sides, and there is plenty of potential there.

Hope that is of some help to you mate, if a little long winded. Obviously you will have your own ideas and style (i like freebies and youth), so each to their own! icon_wink.gif

Originally posted by Aspirin:

Sorry it took me so long to write that last one that HoPeY had beat me to it!! icon_biggrin.gif

I can't help it you wrote the bible out icon_biggrin.gif Lol!

Keep us updated on your progress wizkid thats how we roll, been doing this since FM07. Lyon are as Aspirin said one of the best challenges Europeaon wise in the FM series icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by wizkid:

Thinking of starting as Lyon.

Can someone suggest who i should be looking to sell and which positions need strengthening.

I f you could also tell me the preferred starting XI that would be great

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Welcome mate

I see Hopey and Aspirin have helped you out already.

So sell Anderson (you could also sell him second season), Muller, Santos (what a waste and irl he is much better imo), Baros.

So you need to but a GK like Kameni (brilliant thank you hopey icon_wink.gif).

A couple of defenders if you sold one of your non-eu places immediatly but cahais a great player that i missed out on and i regret it immense, mensah from rennes a beast.

Makoun II is prob. one of the best purely (i mean defence wise) DM's in the game.

Another player i highly recommend is Belluschi he is a amrc, double nat., not expensive.

Upfront you could buy someone like briand or gignac if there is money left.

Also see that you buy a ton of those french youngsters and a couple of brazilian ones, f.e. saivet, sakho, saunier, teaudors, lulinha, alex (vasco), zola, hazard, ... and many more

Sakho, Wijnaldum and Saivet all turned me down several times no matter what i offered, as did Barkroth. Don't understand it, as they would tell me the contract they wanted and then turn me down and sign new contracts at their clubs. Anyone else get this problem, is it a bug? HELP

The reason that happens is because they have a future proffesional contract in place. They are obliged to sign that contract so until they are 18 you cant get them. If you went for them earlier they wouldnt have agreed to sign a prof contract but theres nothing you can do now.

No one wants to buy Santos icon_mad.gif Not even for 1M ffs icon13.gif

Im thinking of getting Lloris as my GK, Hes young, French and has a lot of potential. Anyone had any experience with him?

Govou is a waste of space imo and with him on 65k a week, hes got to go. Im looking at Gouffran.

I think ill stick with Baros for now because im playing a simple 4-4-2 and with Fred out for a bit ive decided to splash the money on Briand.

Yeah good luck in selling in Santos....

The only success I've ever had is to offer him out for nothing, then if you do get offers come in reject and then offer to clubs for £500K.......you will get takers but he nearly always turns down the offers....so in the end I just terminate his contract....

Im thinking of getting Lloris as my GK, Hes young, French and has a lot of potential. Anyone had any experience with him?

Govou is a waste of space imo and with him on 65k a week, hes got to go. Im looking at Gouffran.

I think ill stick with Baros for now because im playing a simple 4-4-2 and with Fred out for a bit ive decided to splash the money on Briand.

had Lloris at arsenal and he was very good, but more impressed by Riou (who i'm trying upset and try and get on the cheap)

Originally posted by Barnetboyz:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by wizkid:

had Lloris at arsenal and he was very good, but more impressed by Riou (who i'm trying upset and try and get on the cheap) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Riou, wasn't he from lyon in the first place a couple of seasons ago??

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Barnetboyz:

had Lloris at arsenal and he was very good, but more impressed by Riou (who i'm trying upset and try and get on the cheap) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Riou, wasn't he from lyon in the first place a couple of seasons ago?? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

yes and he becomes one of the best keepers in the world icon_cool.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Barnetboyz:

Briand worth 14M?

is this pounds or euros?? anyway buy him he has the tendancy to become topscorer of the french league every year </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

its the english queens pounds

Barnet

good result to start things off !!!

I've just signed Diego Cavalieri for £7.5M his release clause....looks fb....

Alss just signed this Israeli called Barak Itzhaki for £675K, so far two games two goals coming on as a sub for Benzema.

footie royalty

I'd sell Fred, Bojan is fairly similar to him and gets better......

Barnet

great result

And are you going to use keita upfront?

Cool background, whats it called and could you direct me where i could find it!! thx

As for gk i really think you should keep it french mate lots of choice f.e. costil, jourdren, delle, riou, frey, lloris, the gk from PSG, the bald one forgot his name, landreau ...

footie

icon14.gif results

Bojan never comes to Lyon. Maybe in season 6 or 7 when you really start dominating the world of football.

Completed 3rd season won the league easily by 20 points and won the league cup but got beat of Man Utd in Champions League final 2-1.Have signed Johan Elmander and Van Der Vaart on free transfers heres my team

Gk Riou/Delle

Dr Clerc/ Revirelle

Dl Pander/Grosso

Dc Barzagli/Cris

Dc Thicot/Scwechlen

Mc Toulalan/Bodmer

Mc Van Der Varrt/Ben Arfa

Amr Keita/Kallstrom

Aml Menez/Saivet

Fc Benzema/Fred

Fc Briand/Elmander

Originally posted by mr_brighton:

barcelona bidded 30m for ben arfa, should i sell? he's been immense though. surprisingly my board hasnt intervened

is this pound if so yes otherwise not

and ben arfa is beloved by the fans (youthproduct ...) so thats why chairman doesn't intervene (well thats my opinion)

Barnet

great result

And are you going to use keita upfront?

Cool background, whats it called and could you direct me where i could find it!! thx

As for gk i really think you should keep it french mate lots of choice f.e. costil, jourdren, delle, riou, frey, lloris, the gk from PSG, the bald one forgot his name, landreau ...

probably won't be using Keita upfront on a regular basis but was suprised how well he did, the background comes part of the Black-In 2 skin and for the keeper i decided to go brazilian and sign Felipe

Originally posted by HoPeY:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mr_brighton:

barcelona bidded 30m for ben arfa, should i sell? he's been immense though. surprisingly my board hasnt intervened

I would personelly say No to selling him for £30Million but thats just my view icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

well for 30 mil pounds you should be able to find more than great cover

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by HoPeY:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mr_brighton:

I would personelly say No to selling him for £30Million but thats just my view icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

well for 30 mil pounds you should be able to find more than great cover </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

and your vision is blurred (sp) icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Originally posted by HoPeY:

Yes but imo a youth product of ben arfa's class is worth more than 30 Million. 30Million while looking nice in the balance is a bargain for the club buying him! He is worth so much more than a small 30million icon_wink.gif

Weather it be euro's or £ ;D

okay you're prob. right icon14.gif

mr_brighton, sorry don't know what season you are in, but have you tried Yao ((WB/AML) retrain to AMC). I got him in first season from ASEC in Ivory Coast for £120k and sent him out on loan for a season or 2 and when he came back he had Barca, Real Madrid, Valencia, Man Utd, Lazio, Juventus all sniffing around after him.

Also Pablo Piatti becomes a great AMC, AC Milan had him in my previous game having bought him for £500k and by 3rd season he was worth £23.5m, also he has Italian nationality, so saves an EU place.

Originally posted by mr_brighton:

well, any recommendations for replacing him? i play a 4-1-1-2-2 with 2 AMCs in the middle, one arrowed to the left the other to the right, arfa(left)has been super with forestieri (right)so far. i'll have 50m pounds if i sell him

only one obvious and that is like hopey said menez from monaco a great player

so you play with two amc - so just behind the strikers - if i understand correctly, if so you could always go for matias fernandez prob. the greatest player in the game (who is my next transfertarget by the way)

Archived