FM08 : Olympique Lyon : Les Gones

Purefun

supersi

are you patched up or on original game?

the tactic you should use depends on what players you have mate, so give us a screenshot of your players!

buying vdv is great but you need to play him as an amc (really important)

montolivio is an immense player buy him, i wanted him to but he choose for real

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm patched.

I would give you a screenshot, but my computer is so carp it can't handle it. Basically, I have the same players as you start out with, minus Baros. Will probably offload a few more in the near future, but I forget their names (they're not major players).

Originally posted by SuperSi:

What formations/instructions do you all use?

I've just started a game with Lyon and am really struggling to score. Getting a little fed up of only ever winning by one or two goals, even when predicted to do far better.

Currently I'm trying to buy Van Der Vaart and thinking of Montolivo. I've got Ignashevich, Saivet and Barthez on free's, and have sold Baros.

Any Suggestions?

I play 4-1-2-2-1 myself. GK-DR-DL-DC-DC-DMC-MC-MC-AMR-AML-ST. It is my preffered formation as I can get it solid at the back and efficient going forward. I had it perfect on the beta patch but havent cracked the full patch yet. Im getting there though. The great thing about this formation is imo that the wingers can be setup as ones that take on the fullbacks and ping crosses in or can be set up to cut in and make a second striker. Having one do one and the other do the other works well too.

Originally posted by SuperSi:

I'm patched.

I would give you a screenshot, but my computer is so carp it can't handle it. Basically, I have the same players as you start out with, minus Baros. Will probably offload a few more in the near future, but I forget their names (they're not major players).

maybe you should use glory formation because mine wouldn't suit your players, you don't have enough strikers to rotate and not enough dm's to play my formation

If your struggling to score goals buy Goran Pandev and/or Rodrigo Palacio.

Both are really brilliant strikers and Palacio's Pace is unbelievable, once you have Fred back to you will be banging in the goals. I play Palacio as a FL coming into the centre of the box and i play Pandev as FR and bring him into the centre and i play Fred in the middle of them two.

I score a lot icon_wink.gif lol

Ny the way a little update on my season icon_smile.gif

League Table so far - http://img128.imageshack.us/my.php?image=87716591be1.jpg

Champions League Group - http://img137.imageshack.us/my.php?image=89815887bh2.jpg

Some Recent Fixtures - http://img119.imageshack.us/my.php?image=59258772uy6.jpg

Team and Tactics - http://img406.imageshack.us/my.php?image=15378701xe4.jpg

I'm doing really well, in the League. The cups and the Champions League. I've been drawn against Barcelona in the the 1st Knockout Round. it's going to be really tough but i think i can do it icon_smile.gif

Thx

Originally posted by BryceCFC:

Champions League Group - http://img137.imageshack.us/my.php?image=89815887bh2.jpg

I'm doing really well, in the League. The cups and the Champions League. I've been drawn against Barcelona in the the 1st Knockout Round. it's going to be really tough but i think i can do it icon_smile.gif

Thx

league icon14.gif only one question i see that rennes is 19th in your game, they are great in my game (briand, mensah ...) could you tell me what happened to those players? thx

champions league : some great results against manu, will be hard against barca though, good luck mate

team and tactics : i see you changed govou with keita and that you put ben arfa in your midfield icon14.gif where did you get that from!! icon_biggrin.gif

conclusion i really need to learn how to put images in

Hi all,

After reading this thread I decided it should be good fun playing with Lyon, I'm so glad I did, it's more fun than my other saves.

I started by basically releasing nearly all of my youth team and signed a complete new one with the likes of Saivet, Acapandie, Le Tallec, Zola, Hazard, Sakho, Wijnaldum, Schewechlen, Torje and others I forget signed for very small fees or £0 plus sell on clauses. I also re-arranged all my coaching staff to get 7* coaching in all positions in U18 and senior but I think I need to work on my training schedules to see more improvements.

In the first team, out went Fabio Santos, Muller and Roux. Didn't get much for any of them but they were never in my plans anyway. Vercoutre won't go anywhere he's offered. Having started pre-season Kallstrom was doing nothing for me and went (far too cheaply at £5m + 20% sell on) to Man City. Baros went later on after winning me the supercup for £4.5m to Sampdoria and 2 weeks into the season Real Madrid nicked Schillaci for £11m. I'm still trying to sell the reserves, who all seem pretty pointless.

Incoming I got Menez for around £11m, Makoun for around £9m and Amauri for £12.25m. Barthez and Costil arrived to cover Coupet and I brought Flamini and Song form Arsenal on season long loan deals. Aaritalo and Ignashevic joined Madrid unfortunately. All in all I'm now short of centre backs but can't find one I really want for under £10m so I may start using the kids as back up well before I had planned to or use Bodmer there as backup. I'll also need a back up DM but Flamini gives me cover trhere for now.

Tactically, I actually use the same formation as Glory United. I still need to tweak things but I'm pleased with it so far. Keita and Menez are destroying teams, Amauri hasn't really got going yet but if my other games are anything to go by then he will soon.

Results in preseason were poor, scraping draws and wins or even losing games in Aus/NZ. But then I won the Super Cup 3-0 and I've now won my first 6 games. Nearly all by the odd goal unfortunately, a couple of times I've thrown away 2 goal leads and then got a last minute winner from super-sub Benzema (he's so good in pressure situations!). I think I need to sort my team talks out!

All-in-all, it's going well. Thanks for your posts guys, I probably wouldn't have bothered with Lyon otherwise!

conclusion i really need to learn how to put images in

I use photobucket, which you'll find at www.photobucket.com . You create a user etc there and you should have an album setup. Now, in fm when on the screen you want press the print screen button on your keyboard. Prt Sc most likely the button you're looking for. Open up paint and go to edit, click paste and the image you took from the game should show up. Save it as a jpeg file. Got to photobubucket and go to your album.You can upload images there. Click browse and find the picture you saved. Give it a title and then upload. Now, to get it on here lol. You copy the direct link that should be beside the pic. Paste that in the url box when posting and give it a name, example:

Arsenal youth go to town!

Originally posted by glory utd:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> conclusion i really need to learn how to put images in

I use photobucket, which you'll find at www.photobucket.com . You create a user etc there and you should have an album setup. Now, in fm when on the screen you want press the print screen button on your keyboard. Prt Sc most likely the button you're looking for. Open up paint and go to edit, click paste and the image you took from the game should show up. Save it as a jpeg file. Got to photobubucket and go to your album.You can upload images there. Click browse and find the picture you saved. Give it a title and then upload. Now, to get it on here lol. You copy the direct link that should be beside the pic. Paste that in the url box when posting and give it a name, example:

Arsenal youth go to town! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

going to give it a try this weekend thx mate

Originally posted by purefun:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BryceCFC:

Thx

league icon14.gif only one question i see that rennes is 19th in your game, they are great in my game (briand, mensah ...) could you tell me what happened to those players? thx

champions league : some great results against manu, will be hard against barca though, good luck mate

team and tactics : i see you changed govou with keita and that you put ben arfa in your midfield icon14.gif where did you get that from!! icon_biggrin.gif

conclusion i really need to learn how to put images in </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nothing happended to Rennes' players.. I really don't know how they are doing so bad, they are tough opposition when i play them.

I have just sold Baros for £5.5million and bought Breno for £6.5million icon_smile.gif

Hehe yeah i swapped Keita to the right and put Ben Arfa on the left, it has worked well so far icon_biggrin.gif

Welcome Unitedsi icon_smile.gif really nice Youth Team :O

Yo, Im playing with Saint Etienne, trying to prevent Lyon from overtaking Saint Etienne's record for most league titles won icon_biggrin.gif. Anyway, 1st season, Lyon lost Toulalan and Kallstrom to Inter & PSV respectively and Juninho was put out for 6months thanks to my player who man-marked him with hard tackling on. Should be gg right for Lyon? Nah, they just bought VDV and Pandev icon_mad.gif .. The youths in your team are really good especially the gk hantcock , the next thierry henry too...Btw, juninho is playing in the pirlo role before he was injured icon_wink.gif and he was doing really well with 9s and 10s quite often. Wonder if you guys use him in that role..

Thanks Purefun. I know Kallstrom was way too cheap but I have a bad habit of doing that, when I want a player to go I just get impatient and take whatever offer comes in! He turned down Bayern for £8m, obviously he had his eye on a lovely flat in Moss Side!

Hi BryceCFC, I love my youth team. 4 games played and they've won 5-0, 3-0, 7-0 and 5-0! I think I need to challenge them a bit more!

I;m now played 9, won 8 drawn 1 (PSG away) and I'm starting to hammer teams (6-1 Vs 3rd placed Le Mans). I got Inter, Werder and Rosenborg in CL and drew 2-2 at home Vs Inter after Anderson was sent off when I was 2-0 up.

On the transfer fron I've got Banega coming in Jan and I'm selling Govou as his wages are too high for a sub. £7m to Firoentina. I think I'll get Gouffran as a replacement.

Just won my 3rd consecutive title with Lyon. This team is really fun to play with. In 3 seasons I have 3 Ligue 1's 2 Coup de la ligue's 1 french cup , 1 champions league, 1 supercup and 3 champ trophys.

Fred scores tons.

Been using the xavierm tactic in the tactics forums. Works really well with this team.

Coupet is still going strong in goal

Got zaccardo on a free for RB and rotate him with Clerc.

Keita on the right wing, Grosso on the left. Bodmer as AMC , Fred and Benzema as FC's

Dc's are Cris and Squallaci, DL is Belhadj

DMC is mostly Toualan but i also signed Rio Mavuba to rotate.

How do you guys play Ben-Arfa? I found he's a good backup but I can't really get him to play to his potential.

Thanks Purefun. Obertan looks good but Bordeaux didn't play ball so got Gouffran.

Also forgot to say that the Board sold Toulalan for £16m on august 30th (Real Madrid are really hacking me off now!) so I got Montolivo in for £14m to replace him. He's been pretty awesome I have to say.

I'm now top of CL group and played 11, won 9, drawn 2 in the league.

chuck diesel

nice results mate

about ben arfa : i always play him on the left wing but he needs a couple of seasons to mature imo, although he sometimes is very inconsistent

unitedsi

real madrid are also after toulalon in my game, toulalon is a great player, shame on the board for selling him at such a low price, but montolivio is a great buy mate icon14.gif you'll have lots of fun with him icon14.gif

Just finished my first season with Lyon icon_smile.gif

Won the Champions League - Beat Barca 4-3 on aggregate, then Anderlecht 3-0 on aggregate, Chelsea were my next opponnents whom i beat 4-3 on aggregate. In the Final i had to play Inter Milan and i won 3-2 with Fred scoring in the 86th minute icon_biggrin.gif

I also won the Ligue 1, the Coupe de la Ligue and the Champions Trophy

I've sold Bodmer, Kallstrom and Anderson i got £5million for Bodmer, £7.5million for Kallstrom

and £3.5million for Anderson

I've brought in Van der Vaart. But i'm looking for a MC, a bit of a defensive MC. So i can complete my tactic, any suggestions would be helpful icon_smile.gif

Originally posted by BryceCFC:

He was awful in my game. He was getting rating of 6 and 5 and he only scored 1 goal and 2 assists in 25 odd matches..

how did you use him? at amc (just behind strikers) or as dmc?

he was more of cm last year, he was more versatile last year i mean

i use him as dmc and he performs just fine

Quick update: currently january 2009

transfers

alex from vasco for 4.4 mil euro release clause i have send him to my belgian feeder lokeren

seeing that i bought gouffran in november i have let gourcuff go back to ac milan

currently selling reveilleirre, he didn't get playtime so don't need to pay his wages imo

also a lot of interest in kameni, menez, huntelaar, saivet icon_frown.gif, clercq, keita, makoun

league

played 20, won 16, draw 4, not to bad i'd say with my insane tactic (according to glory utd), scoring wasn't going great but it seems that its going better after christmas (must have been a good letter i wrote to santa icon_biggrin.gif)

cups

as expected i'm still in league and french cup

played some really minor team and i had 41 shots on target, guess what the gk saved 38 of them, unbelievable icon_rolleyes.gif

players

vdv is really growing into the leader, must say i've moved him up to his favourite amc-role and he is scoring a lot

benzema scored 10 in 11 (was in the olympics so missed him for a month)

keita is playing great that also means that the likes of real and chelsea are after him

aaritalo played like (lots of cursing) he only just scored his second goal, going to replace him by zarate in starting line-up

champions league

in group i won 4 and drew 2, so next round i'll be playing bayern munich, will be really tough, they have a great allround team but my team is way younger so it will be a fast game icon_wink.gif

Get this of the 2nd page!

Right I'm in need of major help, I've just sold alot of players so my squad is very thin. The players I have just got on a free are demanding me to change my tactic(Have no problems doing) but my center of midfield has no cover. I'm really looking for a player who can play CB and DM and then maybe a CM or 2. My budget is 80mil(When I sell bloody Le Tallec).

My Squad and Tactic

Transfers 10-11

Transfers 09-10

Javi Martinez just went to Valencia which I wasn't happy about missing :[. Really not sure who to get.

spillblood

first of all seeing that you are in your third of fourth season why don't you post more in here would be helpfull for all of us icon14.gif

thats the tactic you are going to use?

suggestions for players :

cb and dm : micah richards, veloso

cm : dessana (parma), de rossi, actually difficult maybe scout for some regens in russia they seem to produce some quality

I'm getting really hacked off with my board. Still in first season and they've now sold Clerc for £11.5m to Chelsea and Fred (wasn't really playing becuase of Amauri and Benzema doing so well) for £12.75m to Zaragoza in January, to go with Toulalan and Schilaci (sp). At least they're getting cash up front in these deals. Managed to get Gyan for £12m to replace Fred as the Fred deal happened a day too late to get Briand (who I would have preferred). There are no right backs around that my scouts rate above decent, except Alves and I'm not paying £30m+ for anyone.

Had a couple of poor draws in January with Strasbourg and Lille (who are bottom and without a win in 15) but am well clear at the top and still unbeaten. With Makoun and Keita doing well in the African Nations, Gouffran and Benega are both doing well and some kids have got games, but not really impressed. The youth team have now played 18, won 18, scored 75 and conceded 6! They got knocked out of the U18 cup though.

I'm finding the transfers a bit over the top too many deals going on. Next season I just want a quiet year, with a settled squad and my youth team production line kicking in to a higher gear.

unitedsi

totally understand what you're saying the board are far to keen on selling, don't understand it really lyon is a rich club with no financial trouble really icon_confused.gif

the same happened with me mate they sold belluschi and kallstrom, good money but still icon13.gif

played untill late january 2009

won against rennes in QF of league cup 2-3 nice win (against my bogey team icon_biggrin.gif)

sold reveilleire for 3.8 mil euro or maybe more i forgot and 20 % sell-on

BIG question :

anderson from manchester united is unhappy and seeing that juninho isn't performing at all i'm thinking of making a bid for him, the media are suggesting something around 14.5 mil euro.

What do you regular icon14.gif lyon players think?

Go for it, Juninho is an odd one. He'll either be fab or awful and get alot of yellows and sending offs.

My tactic pulled off, beat Marseille 3 - 1 in the end, Ustari making the mistake for there goal icon_eek.gif. Benzema was on fire.

Here were my signings in the end. I was going to get Coloccini but his contract runs out at the end of this season and he wants to move clubs so I'll go for it then and save money :].

Thinking of selling huntelaar at the end of this season. Didn't meet my expectations at all.

So i would need to buy another striker? Maybe someone like gyan (if still affordable) or kardec (who looks great)!!

Or maybe saivet (who already attracts barcelona and chelsea who are actually bidding) is capable at the tender age of 18-19 to replace him!

Difficult questions!!! Difficult solutions!!!

Still i have 4 months to think it over again and again and again!!! icon_wink.gif

Well, I've only had Huntelaar at United before but he did do pretty well, scoring just better than every other game.

I got Gyan in Jan of the first season of my game with Lyon and he's only just played 2 games due to injury in the African Nations but he's got 3 goals and an assist.

I've actually just won the league (unbeaten after 32 games, a chance for the kids to come in now), I'm in the 1/4 final of the cup at home to Riems and I'm 1-0 down from the away leg of the CL 1/4 final with Arsenal. The kids have won 20/20, scored 105 goals, conceded 8 and I love them!

Still in first season.

I got him for £7m up front and £5.5m over 24 months (I think, it was certainly pretty close to that anyway as the board sold Fred for £12.75m and I paid less than that). In other games they've normally wanted £15m up front and accepted no less.

Bought anderson from manu for 20.5 mil euro (hoped for less but negotiating lasted till the last day of transfer so) we worked from 15 mil: to 20.5 mil euro not to bad i'd say.

Seeing that it was the last day i couldn't sell juninho icon13.gif so he is backup now.

Couple of injuries all my leftfooted defenders are injured (big problem really) so belahdji and grosso are out for 1 month also keita is injured for one month.

Typical just before the match betweem me and second of competition Toulouse. icon_rolleyes.gif

Originally posted by Unitedsi:

Still in first season.

I got him for £7m up front and £5.5m over 24 months (I think, it was certainly pretty close to that anyway as the board sold Fred for £12.75m and I paid less than that). In other games they've normally wanted £15m up front and accepted no less.

have looked into him looks good, i'm going to sell huntelaar in summerwindow and try to get gyan in but his value is well above 20 mil euro now so will probably cost me a lot more if it doesn't work i'll use saivet i think icon_biggrin.gif

He got about 6 in 10 games in the end for me, he's very good and works well as a lone striker, which is how I use him.

End of Season 1.

I won the double having secured the league with 7 games to spare. Went out in the CL 1/4 final to Arsenal 1-0 on aggregate after Lehmann somehow kept me out in the second leg. Threw a load of youngsters in for most of my last 7 league games with mixed results. On the one hand we hammered Monaco 7-2 but we also lost three games by the odd goal, including away games at Toulouse and St Ett. The U18s drew one but won all the rest of their games. Monaco got relegated, which made me chuckle.

For the new season I've got Coloccini for his new release clause of £8.5m and Luci from Juve for nothing. Anderson left for At Madrid for a few pennies. Torje looks awesome but has gone on loan for the season to Reading as I have Keita and Gouffran. I rejected cash bids from Milan and Barca for him too. Saivet has developed really well and seemed to benefit from being tutored by Amauri. A few more youngsters will be going out on loan and I'm still looking for a right back and some more youngsters. Thanks to the big dividends payout my balance is around £40m but I really don't want to spend much so that my youth players get a chance. Delpierre, Dervite, Bodmer, Grosso, Montolivo, Cris, Menez and more all have big clubs interested. I'm starting to look for a replacement for Juninho for next season.

I'm beginning to get annoyed with my assistant manager reports. His reports on Sakho say that he could become a quality Ligue 1 player and has potential to be as good as Cris but he gives him 2 stars for potential and tells me to offload him! Also my board are only satisfied with me and are still harping on about losing in the 3rd round of the Ligue Cup and how it won't be tolerated again.

unitedsi

congrats on winning the league mate

juninho needs replacement believe me a real **** in second season

watch out with losing urly in cup competitions the board hates that and it would be a shame to get fired

and you're totally right on the ass. he's is crap i'm going to replace him too in the summer problem in my game is all the good ones are working and are reluctant to leave still looking tbh

Juninho was awesome last season so I can't find it in me to get rid just yet! I subbed him after an hour almost every week to save his aging legs but he still got 19 goals and 20 assists in 44 games. I tried for Elano to replace him in the summer (City went down! Brilliant!) but he went to Juve instead. I got Alex from Brazil in Jan and he's the next Ronaldinho and did really well at the end of season 1, scoring 4 and assisting 3 in 5 games but he's only 18.

At the end of the season I'm planning to move Amauri, Coupet, Juninho, Grosso, Delpierre and possibly others on to other clubs. Then I'll bring through Saivet, Dervite, Sakho, Torje, Alex. Also want to find room for Zola, Abenzoar and a couple of others.

My assistant (currently Rousset has got 19 for judging potential and 18 for working with youngsters so no idea what is going on. I'll replace him soon. I don't even think about looking at someone's reputation as a coach/ass.man, just their stats in motivating, man handling, working with youngsters, judging players/potential, tactical knowledge. That's quite a lot I know but I've always found somoene in the past.

quick update currently somewhere in march 2009

i've reached final of league cup, have to play against PSG

champions league i've knocked out bayern 5-1 aggregate nice scoreline, won at bayern 1-2 and at home 3-0, there best player was also french ribery

QF is against inter milan, they bought like crazy (even bought back martins icon14.gif), i can take them at the back with speed but so can they if they are using martins so need to be thinking about that

in the league i'm 19 points in the clear so thats in the pocket

my biggist decision after the winter break was putting aaritalo on the bench and let zarate start, mainly because he only scored 2 goals untill january, we are now beginning of march and scored 12 comming from the bench icon_eek.gif but still icon14.gif

Archived