The Purity Of English Football Challenge

Kroblues, Shrewsbury Town 07/08 update

PROMOTION!!!

We finally secured promotion on the last day of the season, as we drew against Notts Co with a last minute goal from top scorer James Constable. This, coupled with P'boro's loss to Stockport , meant that we finished 2nd overall, on 81 points

League Table

Constable's last minute goal also ensured that he did not have to share the golden boot, as he won it outright

This is my squad as the season finished, Constable scored over 30 goals in total, the next highest challenger was Kennedey, who had 14.

I didn't make many transfers, and those that I did were mostly loans, as I wanted to build a sqaud that could get me out of the division, where I could hopefully have more money to play with

Transfers Screen

Onward to League 1 then.

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by kroblues:

PROMOTION!!!

We finally secured promotion on the last day of the season, as we drew against Notts Co with a last minute goal from top scorer James Constable. This, coupled with P'boro's loss to Stockport , meant that we finished 2nd overall, on 81 points

League Table

Constable's last minute goal also ensured that he did not have to share the golden boot, as he won it outright

This is my squad as the season finished, Constable scored over 30 goals in total, the next highest challenger was Kennedey, who had 14.

I didn't make many transfers, and those that I did were mostly loans, as I wanted to build a sqaud that could get me out of the division, where I could hopefully have more money to play with

Transfers Screen

Onward to League 1 then.

Nice one! That was close! What parent club you got? You should be able to get a Premiership one I think, get the u18's and you'll be laughing icon14.gif

Originally posted by thezogsageordie:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by kroblues:

PROMOTION!!!

League Table

Transfers Screen

Onward to League 1 then.

Nice one! That was close! What parent club you got? You should be able to get a Premiership one I think, get the u18's and you'll be laughing icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wigan

i have faith in my youngsters to bring me through the season i have made only two signings in the transfer window

David James from portsmouth for 5.75m

and John Oster from Reading for 3.5m

ive managed to offload most of my foreingers the ones that i havent sold are sitting in the resevres waiting to be sold so far i am 2nd after 6 games

As Usual I went completely mad in the transfer market but made some back from the likes of Malbranque. Although I am still paying some of Kaboul and Gilberto wages!!

transfersmd7.th.png]Transfers[/url]

After 6 games not doing to badly the players are starting to gel together now, after the screenshot I came back from 1 down to beat Everton 2-1.

Heres my squadug0.th.png]Squad[/url]

Kroblues, Shrewsbury Town, Transfer window 08/09 update

So, in my first season in League 1, I went for the same approach as I did in League 2, a few cheap transfers along with loans.

Transfers

My squad has undergone considerable change, with a new keeper, 2 new first choice defenders and a couple of new backups, two new midfielders and a couple of strikers, although I have not used my foreign slot yet, but I am trying to get Leto on loan from Liverpool. Smith, although American, has English as his 2nd nationality

Squad

I have has a good start in League 1, reaching second after 6 games, but I have conceded by far the most in the league, despite scoring most. The worst instance of this was in my game against Colchester. I went 4-0 up after 20 minutes, but they came back to 4-3 before half time, and then ended up winning 6-4.

Table

Originally posted by kroblues:

Kroblues, Shrewsbury Town, Transfer window 08/09 update

So, in my first season in League 1, I went for the same approach as I did in League 2, a few cheap transfers along with loans.

Transfers

My squad has undergone considerable change, with a new keeper, 2 new first choice defenders and a couple of new backups, two new midfielders and a couple of strikers, although I have not used my foreign slot yet, but I am trying to get Leto on loan from Liverpool. Smith, although American, has English as his 2nd nationality

Squad

I have has a good start in League 1, reaching second after 6 games, but I have conceded by far the most in the league, despite scoring most. The worst instance of this was in my game against Colchester. I went 4-0 up after 20 minutes, but they came back to 4-3 before half time, and then ended up winning 6-4.

Table

Things are looking good so far! Good luck for the rest of the season icon14.gif

After an annoying day at work I come home to find that my save game file cannot be loaded icon_mad.gificon_mad.gif

Gonna start it for the third time!!!!

Same Profile again will post at the end of the january window....

If my computer hasn't already been thrown threw a different window.

Originally posted by SuperCupra:

After an annoying day at work I come home to find that my save game file cannot be loaded icon_mad.gificon_mad.gif

Gonna start it for the third time!!!!

Same Profile again will post at the end of the january window....

If my computer hasn't already been thrown threw a different window.

Have you tried to look for the game save? Look for it, and if it hasn't got .fm on the end of the title then add that and it might load.

Just spotted this thread, seems interesting!

Think I will start with ... Manchester City! Yep they are rich but I would need to make massive changes to the squad.

First, let me clarify some stuff. What's the definition of British? England, Scotland, Wales, N.Ireland, Ireland players?

Well, I think I would not use players who've only got a British second nationality.

But one problem is that there are many players who I cannot sell ... So maybe I can only achieve a full British squad at the second season?

Now let's see ...

Manager Profile

http://img246.imageshack.us/my.php?image=manchestercitymancityplzc7.png

Original Reserve Squad

Would now go hunting for players and staff icon_biggrin.gif

Originally posted by nch:

Think I will start with ... Manchester City! Yep they are rich but I would need to make massive changes to the squad.

First, let me clarify some stuff. What's the definition of British? England, Scotland, Wales, N.Ireland, Ireland players?

Well, I think I would not use players who've only got a British second nationality.

But one problem is that there are many players who I cannot sell ... So maybe I can only achieve a full British squad at the second season?

Now let's see ...

Manager Profile

Original Reserve Squad

British nationality is sometimes quite grey, I think Northern Ireland aren't included for some reason? Either way you can use any player that is born in this Island of the one next to it that's a bit smaller (and crapper icon_biggrin.gif joking)

Welcome, fellas, before you start, this challenge is tougher then you would think!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by nch:

Now let's see ...

Manager Profile

Original Reserve Squad

British nationality is sometimes quite grey, I think Northern Ireland aren't included for some reason? Either way you can use any player that is born in this Island of the one next to it that's a bit smaller (and crapper icon_biggrin.gif joking)

Welcome, fellas, before you start, this challenge is tougher then you would think! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep mate it's hard! Man City squad is depleted after I sold plenty of their quality players. Check out my screenshots.

Transfers

Billy Sharp scored 3 goals in 3 games. Seems good. He's my first choice striker as Vassell is poor and I failed to get Owen nor Ashton. Elano is my non-British player, although I have Geovanni there as a backup. Trying to sell players like Isaksson and Mpenza but no one's interested.

Did quite well in my first three games.

Started off with a win against Man Utd 3:2 (AWAY)

Then drew 2:2 with Derby (Aargh it's Dunne's own goal!)

Defeated Blackburn 1:0 next with Sharp scoring.

Would try to get Cattermole in Jan or next season.

Originally posted by chopra_hill:

I guessed that from pre season mate icon_biggrin.gif

Signed loads of players, yet my first game of the season I could only get 3 on the bench due to injuries etc. I'm allowed 1 foreigner yes? Thank god for Elano icon_razz.gif

Lol same here. Man City's squad is full of foreigners. Elano is great, and I recommend Billy Sharp icon14.gif if you need a striker.

Going alright for me atm.

8th after 10 games. So inconsistent though, beat Liverpool at home 3-0 then draw 2-2 to Reading who had 10 men throughout the game.

I'll post a few screenshots soon.

Annoying that I only have about 12 decent players, and a squad of 17. I'm lucky to fill the bench most games.

The highlight so far was a Ched Evans winner in the 93rd minute away at Fulham to give us a 4-3 win. The welsh wizard from the reserves icon_cool.gif

Going alright for me atm.

8th after 10 games. So inconsistent though, beat Liverpool at home 3-0 then draw 2-2 to Reading who had 10 men throughout the game.

I'll post a few screenshots soon.

Annoying that I only have about 12 decent players, and a squad of 17. I'm lucky to fill the bench most games.

The highlight so far was a Ched Evans winner in the 93rd minute away at Fulham to give us a 4-3 win. The welsh wizard from the reserves icon_cool.gif

Your patch version? Mine's 8.02 and he's out on loan icon_frown.gif

He would be my first choice striker if he was not loaned out.

Mines patched icon_confused.gif

I just beat Chelsea 4-1 at home, a Kevin Doyle hat trick icon_cool.gif

My 17 man squad (Stephen Ireland's had a broken leg for 4 months and Giles Barnes has been out for 3 months) is ploughing it's way through the league and we're 8th atm. Struggle to fill the bench most weeks, Have had to play Vassell right mid icon_biggrin.gif

My 17 man squad (Stephen Ireland's had a broken leg for 4 months and Giles Barnes has been out for 3 months) is ploughing it's way through the league and we're 8th atm. Struggle to fill the bench most weeks, Have had to play Vassell right mid icon_biggrin.gif

My Ched Evans is out on loan at Norwich when I started the game icon_confused.gif

Anyway, I'm struggling to find good strikers. I play a 4-1-4-1 formation, and my best striker now is Billy Sharp, with Vassell as backup icon_biggrin.gif

Think I would have to sign a versatile player.

Feels like I haven't posted here for ages!

nch - Good thing with City surely has to be the defence? I wouldn't mind starting with Richards and Dunne.

Fair play there 7 points in 3 games, especially to score 3 at Old Trafford is unheard of.

Bloodbore8 - I don't mind you starting with Arsenal, obviously it won't be counted if anybody does complete this! I still think you should post how you're doing as it still is a huge challenge; at least you haven't got the big 4 to try to beat, if you know what I mean!

Chopra Hill - I sometimes find that if I have a team of good players and average backup players I don't rotate and the players gel quicker which is always good. Nice win, did you use the arrows on the wingers? I've never tried myself but apparently it's good.

Bulfin - Are you taking part?

James Vaughan worth that amount? How good he doing for you?

His attributes ain't that great first season, but I had experience against him in previous saves and he was brilliant. Think he would develop well. Currently he's my best striker, and he's quite good in the air and is quite fast.

6 goals in 4 games, should be quite worth it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by thezogsageordie:

James Vaughan worth that amount? How good he doing for you?

His attributes ain't that great first season, but I had experience against him in previous saves and he was brilliant. Think he would develop well. Currently he's my best striker, and he's quite good in the air and is quite fast.

6 goals in 4 games, should be quite worth it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I stand corrected, good luck to ya icon14.gificon_biggrin.gif

Originally posted by Bulfin:

I'm still taking part, I'll do screenie my transfers and the end of summer transfer window.

Finding it hard to ship off my foreigners though icon_frown.gif

Put them in the Reserves, transfer list, unavailable for loan and squad status to not needed helps although Viduka's 60k wage packet still leans on me icon_frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bulfin:

I'm still taking part, I'll do screenie my transfers and the end of summer transfer window.

Finding it hard to ship off my foreigners though icon_frown.gif

Put them in the Reserves, transfer list, unavailable for loan and squad status to not needed helps although Viduka's 60k wage packet still leans on me icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's exactly what I have already got but still no luck and I'm not gonna go like 3 mil under a valuation.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by chopra_hill:

My Ched Evans is out on loan at Norwich when I started the game icon_confused.gif

Anyway, I'm struggling to find good strikers. I play a 4-1-4-1 formation, and my best striker now is Billy Sharp, with Vassell as backup icon_biggrin.gif

Think I would have to sign a versatile player. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I bought Kevin Doyle for 10 million, I play him up front on his own. He was injured the first month of the season and I had to play Ched Evans but now he's back he's been a great signing. I also signed James Vaughan for 15 million but he's not coming until the start of next season.

At the moment i'm playing a 4-1-2-2-1 formation with an aml and amr aswell as a dmc.

Do you play Joe Hart? He's doing well for me.

Chopra Hill - I sometimes find that if I have a team of good players and average backup players I don't rotate and the players gel quicker which is always good. Nice win, did you use the arrows on the wingers? I've never tried myself but apparently it's good.

Yeh, the players don't seem too tired yet but I might have to get in some rubbish reserves in January so the team doesn't fall apart towards the end of the season.

I use arrows on the aml and amr inwards to the striker and play with a narrow width and try to go through the middle. First time i've used these tactics but doing quite well with them atm. Got knocked out the league cup by West Ham in the 1/4 final though.

Kroblues, Shrewsbury Town 1/2 Way Update 08/09

07/08- League 2 - 3rd (Promoted)

08/09- League 1 - 6th (current)

So, a good start led me to 2nd by the end of August, but a few bad results (2-2 with Bristol Rovers after being 2-0, and 3-3 with Bradford, after being 3-0 up) left me in 8th, but 2 straight wins have lifted me to 6th.

In the cups so far-

League Cup- 1st Rd (0-3 QPR)

JP Trophy - S 2nd (4-5 Leyton Orient)

FA Cup - 3rd Rd (v P'Boro)

So, I play Peterborough in the 3rd Round, hopefully I can win that and get a big Prem team in the 4th, or a smaller team to give me a chance to get through to the 5th.

My squad has been pretty sound, as I am playing a 4-3-3 with wing-forwards. Ched Evans has been the undoubted star of the show, scoring 22 times so far, the next best being Stephen Ward, who has 8. Matt Jarvis, despite being mostly on the bench, has 13 assists. I haven't had a first choice goalkeeper, preferring to rotate Nash and Stack, usually when one makes a few bad mistakes or doesn't keep many shots out.

Table

Squad

Wow it's been exactly a week since I last played FM. Also great to see this thread picking up momentum!

P.S. everyone buy Micah Richards :p I succumbed to the temptation at last paying £35 million plus a £110,000 a week contract icon_eek.gif

I can't remember what it came to exactly but I remember working out his 4 year deal would cost me over £70million icon_cool.gif

BUT he just won the player of the month in his first month at the club so its all good so far!

My squad.

Stephen Ireland just came back from a broken leg so might be able to rest some players now.

Transfers in and out.

Got Vaughan coming next season for 15 mil. I was given a budget of 52 million odd.

Table so far.

My most pleasing results have been 4-1 at home to chelsea, 4-0 v Aston Villa away, 4-0 v West Ham away. I'm out of the league cup, having been beaten by West Ham. Through to the fourth round of the fa cup after beating Woking.

Let's hope this works.

Archived