2 tactics to conquer your league and CL on 8.0.2 (4-4-2 and Counter)

• Replies 527
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello, i have had a look at your tactics and would you think they would work well with chelsea? as i thinking of starting a new game with chelsea what do you think? cheers (Y) btw i think these tactics look great icon_smile.gif

ok, so I tried this tactic with Turkish side Besiktas, one of the three big clubs of Turkey. At first everything seemed pretty good, won 4 games in a row and playeed decent football but after 10 games or so I started losing again. I want to see how it's gonna work out in the long run so I'm gonna stick to this tactic till the end of the season and let you know what happens.

I find these tactics, especially the 4-4-2 one kind of good, I like the way I play etc, HOWEVER: after about 20-30 games with these, I find it almoust impossible to WIN games! I mean I may dominate etc, or play very well against big clubs, but at the end of the day they always get their ****ING come back! It's always 1-1 or 2-2 etc. Over half of my games have been draws! The exact record is 6-15-7.

If I could avoid even half of the AI's come backs, this would be a great tactic (I'm Bolton), but no. They just always, ALWAYS come back. Draw after draw after draw. icon13.gif

Okay, I got UEFA Cup 2nd Knockout Rnd Leg 1 against Athletico Madrid. It's 4-1 for me at 66th minute and I'm like yay, brilliant result, no way I'm gonna lose this lead in second leg etc. However then the AI turns on the comeback switch, and it doesn't take long until it's ****ing 4-3. All their goals were just ridiculous too, my defenders simply didn't feel like defending at all, they basically walked to my penalty area and scored. Sigh. So my brilliant result turned into a bad one - just one goal lead and they have 3 away goals. I've noticed that the Counter tactic is even worse when trying to maintain the lead too.

my main aim these days is to make 4-4-2 more stronger defensively.. i can say proudly this tactics is probably one of the best attacking tactics in the game but conceding goals is too easy in 8.0.2 and the nature of this tactics doesnt help at all.. i have been experimenting with the defence for the last few days, if any progress,i will inform you mates icon_biggrin.gif And i will be very happy if anyone have ideas to make it defensively better and post here..

Great tactic, im currently chelsea and just completed my first season, i went all season unbeaten until the last game (this was because i put an extremely young team out) i had been 20pts clear at top nearly the whole of the game, won every cup except the community sheid at the begining of the season, currenly 7th in the hall of fame after JUST one season! icon_eek.gif so well done with this tactic icon14.gif

im about halfway through my 4th season with bournemouth - i managed to get them into the premiership, and with the help of a sugar daddy, i have managed to get together a decent squad, one that i would expect to easily get top half of the premiership.

But i have found that this tactic has some consistency problems, i find that i will always have a bad spell struggling to get anything but a draw. then (as i am having now) i am struggling to even score - getting about 20 odd shots but only having 2 upfront. and i would certainly expect defoe to get more on target.

So to conclude... i think that this tactic could do with a little bit of work on 2 main areas. the consistancy of the shots on target and the quality of the changes created.

secondly. i have noticed that the majority of goals are coming from wide areas, i.e. crosses or corners.

unfortunalty every single time i try and tweak the tactic or even make a new one i fail, i have obviously not got the ability to make or change a tactic. but anyway thats my thoughts, so if someone wanted to give it a go.....

Originally posted by Soverntear:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">1) If the odds favour you heavily like 1.8 to 4.5 , for example in your home matches.

how are you figuring the odds like that? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You can change this in preferencess in option menu icon_wink.gif

Guest valdinn

I started with Olbia in Seria C2 a while ago and am now playing with them in the Serie A in the 2010/11 season. I'd like to mention that I don´t think that yearly promotion has been due to my tactical skills, but rather luck, as I've always progressed through playoffs.

Anyway, I decide to try this tactics out and I have to say that it's working very vell so far. Having used it in the first 9 games in Seria A, I find myself in 13th place with 3W 3D 3L. Of course most of my players are less than decent so I consider this a remarkable suceess.

Among those 9 games was an away game against Juventus wich I unbelivable won 2-1. One of my greatest victories I must say.

But I have to mention that the counter attack does not seem to work at all unless I´m defending a lead. If I use it from the beginning of a match i usually get trashed with no going back. Therefore I usually start with 4-4-2 and svitch to the counter if I score first.

I also think the defensive line is a bit to deep and it works better if you have your wingers crossing from byline. Gets you alot of corners which is extremely important for a weak team like mine, as I get lots of goals from them.

But, overall a great tactic.

Guest valdinn

Yeah and just to mention, the odds of Olbia winning the league was 500, so a top half finished would be amasing.

I must say that these are 2 great sets of tactics. I tend to use Counter for difficult or semi-difficult away games, or atleast against strong home teams. Otherwise I just use the regular 4-4-2.

Only problem is, that I concede like nothing else. Games end 5-4, 5-3, 4-2 etc etc. And most of it happens from strange bounces and free kicks and corners... I don't know if I'm just unlucky or whatev, but it's bloody annoying.

My midfield has a tendency to caugh up the ball aswell, leading to counter attacks and less than brilliant defensive work from my DC's...

Oh well..

Last time i posted on here, i was well into my second season with these tactics and they showed no sign of letting up.....

so, using these tactics, with lincoln city in league 2, i got them 12 points clear of the playoffs in an automatic promotion slot with 15 games to go when i decided i wanted to test other tactics (with us a sure bet to go up, i thought i had nothing to lose).

we did go up, but our last 15 games were split in two - the new tactics worked amazingly well for the 1st 8 games (6-1-1) but then collapsed in the final 7 league games (1-2-4)..

so i'm back using polat_dgn's tactics again, only now, having took hamilton and lincoln up in successive years, i've moved to millwall in the championship for my 3rd job in 3 seasons..

the board want me to achieve a respectable position in the championship within 4 years, but i'm having none of that - i fully expect to be in europe via the prem within 4 years, and hopefully less!! i'll keep u posted.

polat, cheers again for these!!!!

Guest valdinn

I have the same problem as Jonaleth. I'm conceding goals like never before! After af few games with Olbia in my 2nd season in Serie A, i´m sitting in 3rd position with að goal difference about 22-16! My last game was very typical, went up 0-4 against Parma away, but ended up winning 4-6! I'd rather win 2-0.

There must be away to fix this. Maybe put a barrow on your left cm or lower creativity on you fb. I´m going to try that anyway.

I have been using these tactics with Blackburn. Had an excellent start in my first 15 games, only losing to Chelsea and Liverpool, leaving me in 4th place. Then a shock defeat in the Euro Vase and now i cannot even buy a win. But thankfully i have only dropped three spots. I consider this acceptable for Blackburns status.

I follow the originial instructions for what formation to use along with the OI instructions as well as Wolfsongs team talks. I tweak here and there (to the best of my ability) to fit my team. But i do not change too much (im not exactly the best at this sort of stuff) because i dont want to disrupt the team too much.

I figure i will pick up form once again and i dont want to change too much just in case the changes make it so i never get back into form. Is anyone else, or has anyone else experienced this sudden drop in performance, and what did you do to get yourself back on track again?

First game in the championship:

I'm manager of Millwall, just promoted from league 1, and we're away at Birmingham, just relegated from the Prem...

Odds well in favour of Brum, so counter formation used....

Final Score, Brum 1 Millwall 5...

I'm continually chuffed with these tactics!!!

Hello all, I love these tactics, or should I say I did! I am Lewes in the BSS and for about 15 games, I was unstoppable. But now the AI has achieved his miraculous knowledge of my tactics and I can't win now to save my life. I went from about 10 points clear to a point behind...

I was wondering if there was any little cheeky tricks to avoid this very annoying scenario...

Thank you.

fairly good tactic mate icon_wink.gif

i've never played 442, as i'm usually underdog. but i found that i still lose pretty much. so i decided to tweak a little bit your counter tactic. i got little bit inspiration from you 442 icon_wink.gif

Before using your tactic i somehow managed to get my Burghausen team to Bundesliga. First season there i managed to avoid relegation, but it was close.

In the beginning of the season i started with your original tactic. But in november i tweaked it. Now, with 2 games still to go i fight for the third place. Nürnberg and Werder are to much ahead.

I din't tweaked you team settings. Only the layout and set piece settings.

This tactic has been more stabile than others i've found from this community icon_wink.gif

Here's the picture:

burg1tactjx1.th.png

just in case the direct link also:

http://img381.imageshack.us/img381/4845/burg1tactjx1.png

Here you can find the file:

http://rapidshare.com/files/117586896/Counter_BURG__Bur...__May_2014_.tac.html

Originally posted by Bon_L-10:

But now the AI has achieved his miraculous knowledge of my tactics and I can't win now to save my life. I went from about 10 points clear to a point behind...

I was wondering if there was any little cheeky tricks to avoid this very annoying scenario...

Thank you.

unfortunately thats the common problem in 8.0.2 mate icon_frown.gif To avoid this, i think you should regularly change your tactics when u realise AI starts to cheat or use 2-3 tactics together in a season..

These days i dont have much time to play the game but i can see that Kimz's tactics are storming the forum whenever i come here..

tried his too. but it was very unstable for my team. had success a little period, but i was conceding far too much. An average 3 goals per match. And i always weren't able to score as much. Yours been far more stable with little tweaks icon_wink.gif

As you can see from my post count I usually just lurk the forums and I don't post.

Your tactics have made me post!!! :-)

Thing is I, like everyone else, have been struggling to get a happy balance in my tactics. I've started a game down in the Conference with Cambridge and I played the first half of the season with my tactics. I wasn't doing to bad, sitting about 8th, losing most away games though.

So I tried your tactics....and won the league. I went on an initial run of 8 wins, I was very impressed. Now I only ever play the 4-5-1, I've tried the 4-4-2 based on your rules but as yet for me this doesn't work. I'm guessing that it's mainly because my players are cr*p, once I get more quality in I'll try it again.

Anyway, the meaning of this post is......you've cracked it polat! I haven't looked at the detail of your tactics yet but I will look into the finer details tonight.

Thanks

polat_dgn:

In all my life since FM exists, I saw two tactics as yours with the exception of the famous Diablo that forced sigames to change the engine of the game, as re-rank, IA impossible to overcome, etc... I always choose underdogs clubs and know I am Oldham's manager. I'm in Championship and fighting to win the title, so no words for you. Simply amazing!!!!!

But I have a problem with all my DM'S. They haven't good perfomances and I don't know the reasons. Will it be a tactical problem that can take everybody to total success or will it be a simply problem of attributes?. Don´t forget 3 things: 1 - counter really works. 2- DM doesn't works at all. 3- My team is really poor.

Sorry for my english. I'm from Argentina and the forums in spanish aren't good. Cheers and congratulations.

Originally posted by juanvaz:

polat_dgn:

In all my life since FM exists, I saw two tactics as yours with the exception of the famous Diablo that forced sigames to change the engine of the game, as re-rank, IA impossible to overcome, etc... I always choose underdogs clubs and know I am Oldham's manager. I'm in Championship and fighting to win the title, so no words for you. Simply amazing!!!!!

But I have a problem with all my DM'S. They haven't good perfomances and I don't know the reasons. Will it be a tactical problem that can take everybody to total success or will it be a simply problem of attributes?. Don´t forget 3 things: 1 - counter really works. 2- DM doesn't works at all. 3- My team is really poor.

Sorry for my english. I'm from Argentina and the forums in spanish aren't good. Cheers and congratulations.

thanx mate.. The thing that DMs usually get poor ratings is something with the game, no relation to how they perform in your game .. if you ask other people including me in the forum, u will see that DMs usually get 6 ratings after the matches..

polat_dgn,

I am still using these tactics, my world class premier team never gets off the 4-4-2. At the most we just slow down tempo and make it less attacking and less wide if we are playing a tight team. Currently on a 58 unbeaten run in all games and cups. If I had not lost one game in the premiership, that run would be closer to 90.

I run a second team in the championship, this is in truth a pretty poor team and should only get a mid-table position based on media predictions. I have been in the play offs for the last 3 years. I use the 4-1-4-1 with this team 95% of the time.

Couple of pointers on the 4-1-4-1 that I have found and would appreciate some feed back on:

1) You can use a fairly creative midfielder in the DM slot, make him a play maker or give him a free role. Tends to have a lot of joy in even matches. Unfortunately my player who was ideal in this role got poached by Portsmouth.

2) A ML or even a AML can play pretty well in the DL position (and the same for the right).

3) I often set my DL to change places in the match with my AML (and the same for the right). This pulls the defenders out of position and creates some good openings.

4) If the opposition plays with one forward, drop the mentality and closing down on one of your CB by 2 notches and increase it by a notch on the other CB. I see better marking on the lone striker and the attacking midfielder that plays in the hole behind them tends to get picked up as well.

Where I am struggling and need help: Set piece defending.

Give the opposition a free kick near my box and it will be a goal more than a miss. I lose or draw at least a dozen games a season because of this. I have yet to find a way to defend against IFK or DFK.

34 games into my 1st season with millwall in the championship (predicted relegation) i'm safely in the playoff zone with a 10 point lead over 7th place..

i was sitting pretty in 2nd on new years day having lost only twice in the first 25 games, but then i had 3 new signings come in and we're just a bit more erratic now...

my team are the league's highest scorers and until new years day, we had the 2nd best defence as well..

i'm hoping that once the new boys have settled in (especially the quality italian under 21 international i swooped from parma) we'll be firing on all cylinders for the playoffs!!

• 3 weeks later...
Originally posted by polat_dgn:

thanks dudes.. i am happy that this thread and tactics are still alive. icon_smile.gif These days i dont have much time to play the game but i can see that Kimz's tactics are storming the forum whenever i come here..

very unrealsitic tactic. better play 1 formation each year and then change

superb tactic.

i took cesena to champions leauge places 2 years in row with 0£ money sspend on transfers in 5 years and 8 mill £ in wage budget.

the tactic is extremly good for defence. i tweaked the corners and set peices in both attacking and defending.i had an defending line with all good jumpers and a good dmc with 15+ jumping wich gave me 5 ppl to man mark tall players on oppositions corners and kicks. that made my defence rock solid and i went a 27 unbeeten games in serie A in 2011. The players i had in my line up was a mix of old low stamina players and the serie B players i had from start. every players with a pa over 160 got head hunted by the big clubs and wanted to leave.

i had to abendon the game couse the board demends unrealistic things of me (title challange) but refuse to give me any money for transfers or wages so i cant sign any new players and that makes game very boring when players like de feudis and longo still are 1st team when i face man united away after 5 years of play.

i played the counter tactics all the time. when i faced lower teams i reduced timewasting and increased the tempo.

Originally posted by The Lambs:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jase19:

is there only 1 version of this? i skimmed all the pages to make sure theres no updated version and i didn't see one.

Only one version. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks

I'll give it a go as i'm tired of playing 1 forward.

counter tactic is very good against big teams if u are a small or medium team on your own.

play fast wingers that can play as strikers to on winger spots and an goos striker either very fast or good tower forward and play with crossings to middle.

ok i know this is only a friendly but just started again with Newcastle and thoght i would give this tactic ago and here was my 1st match results using the 4-4-2.

1stGame.jpg

FirstGamePerfomances.jpg

the opponent was no barca but to get three players on hattrick and 2 10 is pretty good. shitty steve harper let one in tho

was middlesbrough using counter most of the time won most games lost a few to the big boys then the man utd job came up took it the where 14th when i took over had a rubbish team sold most players and never really replaced them (damn you steve coppell) but managed to get them to 4th and in the champions league so thought to my self with 93 mill in the bank looking at my team the weakest part that i could see was right back with danny simpson so i took a large chunk of my money 74mill and bought sergio ramos sold nanni diego ji sung park darren fletcher a sevreal other squad players i brought in stewert downing to complement ronaldo on the right we already had VDV so i was looking for a holding player and brought in banega for that role its quite far in to my game 4 seasons so rio is getting on abit now so brought in sakho to shore up my defense

this tactic is mint been using 4-4-2 not lost a game yet and scoring over 3 each game

Some great tactics. I heartily recommend that everyone reads the thread from beginning to end. I have done this and now have the tools to bring things back on track when the tactics are not performing.

I am now far more aware of the use of OI, watching what the other team are doing and most importantly being aware of the flaws in my own team that are causing the tactics to not perform as well as they should.

For example I was getting frustrated that we would let leads slip then I realised that my defenders were lacking in some key defensive attributes and this alinged with a more pragmatic approach once we have taken the lead we are now going on to win games rather than letting leads slip.

Thanks for everyone who has contributed on this post and obviously thanks to polat_dgn for creating an excellent set of tactics.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi polat_dgn,

I have read this thread with great interest and I am hoping that your tactic works well with my team.

A brief run down, currently in season 2, playing

in coca cola league 1, my team is Cheltenham. First season finished 17, good as I was predicted for relegation. Second season, again predicted for relegation.

With about 16 games to go, I am in 21st, with a losing streak in excess of 10 games. So I figured I would implement your tactic and see if a turn around can happen.

So far only 1 game played, against Southampton , currently 4th on the ladder, with a winning streak of ten on the run. Media prediction for the game was total domination with my team left crying in the corner.

I played the counter tactic and was down 1-0 at halftime, 2-zero by 75. I then thought I would try and pinch a goal or two, as I had used the OI tips, they were starting to feel the pinch. I switched to the 4-4-2, and scored straight away. Unfortunately they hit back with another immediately( possibly should have switched back to counter). No further scoring final result, 3-1.

Overall I would say a postive outcome for a game which should have had me losing by a great deal more.

I will monitor how things go over the next few games and hopefully I can avoid relegation.

Below should be pics of the team list and ladder table

cheers and thanks tel

current team

http://img92.imageshack.us/img92/2865/teampicture2wo4.jpg

ladder

http://img65.imageshack.us/img65/8320/ladderpicture4jo3.jpg

Archived