'Stand off opponents'

this is the greatest shout imo.

if you want to keep a clean sheet,, have your strategy set to very rigid with 4 defenders set to defend asnd a mentality of counter or less.

tink rangers in europe - your team just drops back leaving to opposition with two options - big punt into the box or long shots.

i had kept clean sheets against benfica, lyon, bayern, porto, hamilton, cluj and three other spl teams (only newcastle and kilmarnock got a sneaky goal against me before fm 'encountered a serious error and has to close').

try it - you wont be disappointed.

• 7 months later...

i pretty much tried your exact approach with my Norwich save when i encountered teams like Man City, United etc. Your right in what you say that they dont get in behind, but the likes of Nasri, Aguero, Toure, Rooney, Nani, Young (the list is endless) have such accurate long range shooting that i was getting hammered! i lost 5-0 to City when they had 18 shots on goal, all of which where "other chances" and 16 of which were long shots! The only thing ive found to counter this is to play 2 DM's to cover the players dropping deep and 2 CM's to cover the advancing midfielders.. pretty much leaves me with 2 options up front. (normally i play with 2 wingers set to inside forward and just set the settings to direct and shout "clear ball to wings and exploit the wings".) So far mixed results.. scored draws with City and Chelsea, a loss to United, Spurs and City (cup) and a win over Arsenal. (4 of the 6 games were away).

to me that kind of stand of system sounds kinda suicidal unless you have top players, it will leave your defense way to static and you will give away to much of space for the oposing team to operate in

Agreed.

I think you need players with very good 'positioning' and 'anticipation' attributes to be able to succeed with low pressing game. Venezuela national team play this deep, low pressing, counter attacking game with lot of success these days.

to me that kind of stand of system sounds kinda suicidal unless you have top players, it will leave your defense way to static and you will give away to much of space for the oposing team to operate in

I agree that you leave the opposing team alot of space to operate in. The thing is all this space is 40 yards out from goal. They cant penetrate in behind you, and they are relying on long ranged efforts / corners to score. In all 6 of my games against "the big sides" in England, i didn't concede 1 CCC. If you play deep with cover in front, then have 2 CM's just hunting the ball (high stamina, work rate and tackling required for these two), the opposition team just runs out of ideas.

Alot of teams do it irl, and its normally a defensive error, a lack of concentration or a moment of magic that will break the game open. Arsenal suffer from these opposing tactics alot over the years. Take away the space behind that they want to play into and its just a brick wall. I dont see the concern with a DM and two FB's playing keep ball 40 yards out from my goal.

Having a more agile, shot stopping keeper will also cut down on conceding long shots using these tactics.

You'll need a couplle of big lumps to prevent the set pieces though

yeah, the set pieces can be annoying. I brought in Sol Campbell to help deal with them, he normally wins most things whipped into the 6 yard box. and playing so deep allows his lack of pace to not be a factor! Also manged to get Kuszczak on loan from United. Seems to have good positioning, agility and aerial ability to deal with both corner threat and long range efforts.

Archived