Troubled Visions- Faramir's Dream (Lord of the Rings Challenge)

Faramir

Dundee United (3) St.Johnstone (2)

Dundee United- R.Youssef 3 D.Lilley 20 M.Kerr 69

St.Johnstone- N.Dasovic 26 G.Jones 32

MOM- Tassos Venetis, Dundee United

"We don't believe in taking the easy way out, do we?" smiled a tired Gond.

"Doesn't seem that way," replied Faramir who was rubbing his neck in an effort to get the tension out. "We were up on them so quickly, then we relaxed. I think we will talk about this match a lot during the week in practice- it makes several points- the main one being don't quit- ever."

"Mark (Kerr) is really becoming one of our leaders- he amazes me for his age," added Gond.

"One of those perfect fit acquisitions- he has given us exactly what we need," replied Faramir. "I am worried about next week's match at Ibrox. Without Charlie Miller and Mark Nicholls, we don't match up nearly as well with them."

• Replies 532
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Lady?"

"Yes Lord."

"When I have somehow ventured past the barrier- into whatever strange world that we have viewed- it seems as if I, or rather my mind, is really there. Can that be possible?"

"Yes, Lord- as I told you it may well be possible. I am not sure how much interaction you might actually have with the world, but it is certain that you may at least see what might be seen there."

"Would that be similar to the seeing balls? The palantir?"

He noticed her intake of breath, "Lord, what do you know of palantirs?"

"Only what little my father, Denethor, relayed to me when I was younger. He talked about some of their properties- but he indicated that they were relics of the past."

"Nay, Lord. They still exist. Your father never discussed their specific use?"

"Nay, Lady. He talked of them as if they no longer existed. He spoke of their being able to see something far away."

"That is true Lord. The ability to show a person something far away. But, they required strength of the mind on the part of the user. Because of that, they could also be used for evil purposes to control another's mind- if they weren't strong enough. Therein lies the danger of their use- for certainly the Dark Lord has one."

"Would they be similar to what seemingly I am experiencing with this strange world?"

"Yes, Lord. Their use would be similar to what you are experiencing."

Faramir considered her words before replying, "Lady, I have the sensation that someone is encouraging me onward with my ventures- when I have travelled to this other place. It defies explanation, since it is only the fleetest of feelings, but I sense there is something there for me to accomplish. A goal or a purpose for my presence there."

"When do these feelings touch upon you Lord?"

"Only when I stretch beyond the barrier and into the other world. It is not something I feel when at rest here."

"That is strange Lord, but in no way do I discount that feeling- I have felt it here as well, in this world."

"How does it feel to you Lady?"

"A reassuring touch. Little more than that can I tell you, though it seems to reassure me that this is somehow the proper path that I have embarked on with your care."

Rangers (3) Dundee United (3)

Rangers- B.Ferguson 14 M.Mols 59,86

Dundee United- Butra 69 T.Venetis 86 D.Griffin 90

"Oh, you are going to love this one," said Gond to Faramir with a smirk on his face.

"What's that?"

"One of the sportswriters just told me that Sammy was still furiously typing away moments ago- seems he already had his piece of vitriol finished- and then Danny (Griffin) deflected Tassos' (Venetis) free kick past Klos to gain us the draw and his whole piece was worthless."

They both doubled up with laughter at this, as the last of the fans trickling out of Ibrox looked at them with curiosity.

Rangers (4) Dundee United (1) Scottish Cup 5th round

Rangers- R.De Boer 13 T.Flo 41-P,56-P,77-P

Dundee United- T.Venetis 45

MOM- Tore Andre Flo, Rangers

"They gave the Man of Match honours to the wrong person- they should have presented it to Mr. Fleming, our wonderful referee," yelled Faramir as he tossed his clipboard against the office wall in frustration.

Gond was equally mad, "Three penalties! Can you believe it? Not too mention 6 fouls on us, none on 'Gers- and awarding us 3 yellow cards."

Still shaking his head, Faramir reigned in his anger, "Well, they finally found a way to beat us for the first time this season. Let's see if we can turn this into motivation for our stretch drive and beat them out of a place in the standings."

Rangers Triumphant Over Dundee United

by Sammy Gohl

In a match that featured the ill-tempered Dundee United club running amok, it was the gallant 'Gers that rolled on to the next round in the Scottish Cup. After having taken a 1-0 lead, the desperate squad from Dundee started bashing the 'Gers around- resulting in many whistles and yellow cards. With all the banging, it was no surprise when Dundee United started getting penalty kicks awarded against them. Tore Andre Flo was the marksman of destruction for the bully side as he converted three penalty kicks in sending the 'Gers on with a 4-1 win.

Dundee United (1) Hibs (2)

Dundee United- M.Kerr 58

Hibs- M.Taylor 13 S.Widera 90

MOM- Florentin Petre, Hibs

"I don't believe it- two matches in a row," sighed Faramir.

"We had the match, he took it away from us for sure," agreed Gond.

"You would think he would have been set- having already ruled off one goal on offside, instead he has to overrule his Assistant and rule off a 2nd goal. If we get that goal, we would have won the match," grumbled Faramir.

"Not only that, but awarding the corner in extra time that allowed them to score the match winner was another choice decision, especially with the ball out over the sideline and not the baseline."

"How did the Motherwell-Rangers match turn out?"

Gond leaned over and glanced at the TV screen, "Motherwell beat them 1-0, so they are three points ahead of us now."

Hibs Hang Dundee United

by Sammy Gohl

Hibs came back to hand Dundee United more just desserts as they scored in the last moments of play to earn a 2-1 win over the struggling side. Sean Widera scored on a tidy corner to win the match in the last moments of play. Dundee United again pursued all their ways to try and gain advantage through trickery, but the referee was wise to their antics and ruled off two goals during play.

Dundee (0) Dundee United (5)

Dundee- None

Dundee United- C.Miller 8,51 M.Kerr 33 M.Nicholls 78 T.Venetis 83

"That was a fine Derby showing, if I say so myself," commented a pleased Faramir. "We did everything much sharper than in the last couple matches- I think having Mark Nicholls back for the first time from injury helped a lot."

"He was a good influence up front. I don't think the rest of our forwards quite qualify as 'snipers', but Mark sure does..."

Faramir looked at the TV and sighed, "Well that does it for the SPL race, Celtic won again and clinched it."

Gond shook his head in amazement, "We haven't even reached the Playoff grouping and they have it clinched- damm good season they are having."

Dundee United (2) Aberdeen (1)

Dundee United- M.Kerr 18 M.Keith 62

Aberdeen- H.Zerouali 70

MOM- David Hannah, Dundee United

"Well, that was the way I was hoping we would go into the Playoff Group- on the heels of a win."

Gond nodded, "It was a strong win, even though the score doesn't show it. We played excellent offensively in the match."

"It was very encouraging. If we can avoid injuries for the final matches, we should have a decent chance at a good finish."

Motherwell (2) Dundee United (5)

Motherwell- S.Elliott 9,30

Dundee United- M.Nicholls 10 T.Venetis 19 C.Miller 45 M.Keith 56 A.Barsom 90

"That was the win we needed. Now I think we can make a good finish and hopefully see Europe next season," smiled Faramir.

"That was the best we have done against Motherwell this season. Oh, Paul (Gallacher) is still a bit miffed that you pulled him in the second half," said Gond.

"When he muffed that free kick and it was almost the equalizer- sorry, but it was time to get him out of the match. He will still be starting our next match though."

Dundee United (2) Celtic (3)

Dundee United- Butra 56,89

Celtic- S.Petrov 10 J.Hartson 73 D.Balde 81

MOM- Butra, Dundee United

"I thought we were going to do it," sighed Faramir. "When Butra evened the match up, I thought we had enough momentum that we were going to at least earn a draw. Instead we made another defensive mistake- Hartson scores and then it snowballed."

"Hartson's goal hurt, but we really let down when Balde scored on that rebound. Paul (Gallacher) had the ball and shouldn't have let it get away. After that, down two- we could have quit- but the boys still gave it their best shot."

"I don't fault their effort or determination- it was our execution that was lacking. Celtic has only lost twice this season- you can't afford to be at less than your best against them- and that is what we were."

Celtic Cruises Past Dundee United

by Sammy Gohl

SPL's newly crowned Champions Celtic proved to be much better than a bumbling Dundee United side as they won out at Tannadice Park. Despite the scoreline, the match wasn't that close and Celtic yielded a pair of second half consolation goals enroute to another impressive win. The win decreases Dundee United's chance at a top 3 finish in the SPL.

Dundee United (0) Aberdeen (3)

Dundee United- None

Aberdeen- R.Winters 8,34 B.Thornley 77

MOM- Robbie Winters, Aberdeen

"Ouch. We picked a bad time to play one of our worst home matches all season," sighed Faramir.

"Not only that, but Rangers won today. If they beat us at Ibrox in our next match then they will be ahead of us on goal differential," quietly offered Gond.

Faramir glanced at the post-match report on his desk, "Adding injury to insult, we will be without Tassos (Venetis) for the rest of the season, Taribo (West) won't be ready for 'Gers match, but may be ready for our last one against Derby, David McCracken and Jamie Fullarton are both out for the remainder, and Jamie McCunnie may just be fit for Dundee. Remember when I mentioned injuries?"

Gond nodded.

"If I talk about them before they happen again- please just shoot me!" They both allowed themselves a small laugh at the comment.

Aberdeen Crushes Struggling Dundee United

by Sammy Gohl

Aberdeen showed up Dundee United in front of their Tannadice faithful as they walked over the struggling side in a 3-0 win. Robbie Winters, showing the form that has this reporter touting him for the National side, scored a dazzling pair of first half goals to propel the visitors to the win. The loss places Dundee United squarely in the sights of their next opponent- Rangers at Ibrox- and a loss their will help seal a disappointing finish to their season.

Rangers (2) Dundee United (2)

Rangers- M.Mols 14 R. De Boer 16

Dundee United- A.Barsom 3 R.Youssef 77

MOM- Abgar Barsom, Dundee United

"They had us. All they needed to do was close us out- and they were playing better than us," commented Gond.

"You're right Barry, but they should have known this club has a lot of heart and determination. I would have loved to see Gohl's face when Rabi rapped that rebound past Stefan Klos- it must have been priceless."

Gond laughed deeply, "Yes, I am sure *he* didn't get any pleasure out of the result. His preseason prediciton of relegation for us looks pretty ridiculous at the moment."

"The draw means we need only a draw or a win in our Derby match- and we will finish 2nd to Celtic. That would be a great finish for a fine season."

Dundee United (4) Dundee (1)

Dundee United- M.Kerr 3,56 A.Barsom 50 M.Nicholls 66

Dundee- J.Sara 33

MOM- Mark Kerr, Dundee United

"Excellent wayt to close out the season- another big Derby win that clinches our 2nd place finish," offered a very happy Faramir.

"That was a great way for Mark (Kerr) to finish up as well- he has really exploded on to the SPL this season," agreed Gond.

"It was a great season Barry, you deserve a lot of the credit here."

"To think, you weren't willing to agree with me before the season that you could do this job. You also wouldn't agree you are a fine match tactician- you are both. Best of all though, you are a leader- and that was what this club needed."

Faramir shook his head and smiled, unwilling to respond directly to his comments, "Let all the players know they have a month off starting now- then we will have to start getting ready for Europe next season- so back to the summer grind."

It was a sunny day. The cloudless sky seemed to stretch its light blue carpet for an eternity, but it remained cool due to the incessant gusts of wind that haphazardly swirled across the woods.

As Faramir walked the pathway he was reflecting upon the past season. Overall, he considered his first season at Dundee United a success. With the help of Gond, they had revived the flagging club's fortunes and surprised most of the pundits with their fine showing in SPL play. He chuckled at the thought of the veritable silence from Sammy Gohl on their SPL play and the entirely more muted and subtle attacks he was forced to resort to because of their success. He was speculating in his mind what the next season would bring- their foray into Europe, their trying to prove that this season was no fluke, the future muzzling of his favorite journalist...

Looking hard, he realized he had come to an opening that in the trees that was familiar. As he stared at it, the comprehension came to him- this was the same spot he had seen the old man at the fire during the winter. Wondering at the fact that he hadn't noticed the spot in his many walks since then, he strode toward the opening. He was a bit stunned to find the same old man sitting upon the same log, smoking a long pipe and quietly humming to himself.

Shaking himself a little to shed the feeling of deja vu, Faramir entered the hollow. "Hello again sir."

The old man seemed to shake with some unheard laughter, "Sir? Boy, do you really think I deserve such respect? Ah well, I am willing to accept your courtesy at least."

The man waved at the log worn smooth by many sittings opposite him, "Sit down boy. Rest a moment."

Particularly why he felt compelled to stop and converse with the old man again- he couldn't say- but Faramir sat down on the log and waited. He waited a bit expectantly, seemingly knowing the old man had some specific comments for him.

The old man regarded him with a slight gleam in his eye. "You have done well in your first season as manager. More than your success, you have learned things about both yourself and your strength that will carry you far in your future travails."

Looking through narrowed eyes, Faramir replied, "You mentioned something that life had in store for me last time. Now you are talking about future travails. What do you know of my future?"

The old man just waved his pipe around, "Oh little enough, to be sure. But where there is life, there is also trials. You can't be any different in that regard."

Unwilling to accept the breeziness of the old man's comments, Faramir leaned forward with his elbows on his knees, "You called me a nexus at our last meeting. You mentioned help was arriving. I don't even remember your leaving our last meeting. What is going on?"

The old man halted his patter, "Boy. It is too soon yet. You have learned, but not enough. You must learn more of your craft and you must learn it quickly- there are more trials to come. You will have help- that much I have seen- but you still need to be able to accomplish a task on your own."

Shaking his head in frustration at his lack of understanding, Faramir blurted out, "What is going on??"

The old man folded his arms and stared back with a reassuring gaze, "Soon you will be called on to make an important journey. No," he held up his hand to stop the comments coming to Faramir's lips, "there is nothing of this to speak of now- the journey is coming, but how soon? I do not know."

"What is this journey? You say I will be called on to make this journey, but how will I know- since it is apparently not now? What will this journey be for? Why will it be me to make this journey?"

The old man answered only the last of the jumble of questions, "Because you are the only one who can."

Standing up the old man swirled a tattered traveling cloak around himself, "I have need of haste boy, I can stay no longer. I will return- you will see me here again when I am able." He walked off into an unseen exit in the trees.

As Faramir tried to follow him through the exit, he found himself once again on the pathway- with no evidence that there was any hollow in the woods where he believed he had been. He stood still searching around for the opening with his eyes, until the chill breeze again stirred him into walking, and he noticed the sounds of the world- which had seem still and muted- had returned in their loud chorus.

Thanks Dave for the kind words.

The story obviously isn't going to be the quickest one to unfold, but don't worry- plenty to come icon_smile.gif

"Lady?"

"Yes, Lord?"

"Though I can not offer an explanation for this, I seem to sense something or someone urging me to continue my forays beyond the curtain."

"How do this urging seem to come to you Lord?"

"I can feel it somehow...just at the edge of my senses. It is not wholly substantial, yet I feel its urgency."

She was quiet for several moments, "I sense a similar reassurance on our purpose Lord. It is familiar- yet not. I also lack for a more complete explanation other than I sense we both have somehow been placed upon this path for a specific purpose."

"Yes, that reassurance seems part of what I sense as well."

"I am wary of the Dark Lord's tricks, yet this seems much too subtle for his ways. There is some other familiar presence at work here- at least that is my belief- but I lack any method of identifying it. I am sorely taxed to maintain you here."

"Then let me go back Lady. Do not overburden yourself for the likes of me."

"Lord, it is not time. When it is time, we both shall do as needs be, but for now this is the way it must be for both of us."

*chuckle* Well the Challenge is a bit of a beast in length anyways, it was a bit of a problem to develop a storyline that would accomodate playing years and years- but I am happy with what I have. You're right it will be long, but hopefully worth it icon_wink.gif

Season 2- 2002/3- Dundee United 1st stage of Challenge

"Well, what do you think of our new acquisitions so far?" asked Faramir.

"I will tell you better after I see them in the friendlies- but both Thomas (Myhre) and Scott (McDonald) seem to fit in very nicely with our current group," stated Barry Gond.

"You're right, we need to see them in match action before knowing for sure- but I was pleased to bring both of them here."

"How much did we have to pay for them?" asked Gond.

"For Myhre- nothing- he signed on Bosman from Everton. It cost 400K on decision to sign McDonald- and I think he is a bargain at that price."

"I see Steven Thompson isn't here- who else is gone?"

"Thompson went Darlington for payments spaced out over 12 months. We also sold Jean Licina to Calais for payments spaced out over 6 months."

"Ah, that's right- no wonder I didn't miss him- Licina hadn't made much of an impression last season. Even on the reserve side he didn't play well and was obviously homesick."

Faramir nodded, "Oh, by the way, the official notification came through- we are in the UEFA Cup competition."

"Not in Champions Cup? Ah that's right- the poor performance by 'Gers in there last season knocked SPL down to one spot in it."

"They haven't announced when we start yet- but I am looking forward to it."

Gond looked pointedly at Faramir, "I heard a lot of rumors that Charlie (Miller) and Jamie (McCunnie) were on their way to English clubs?"

"No. Not yet- at least, though Charlie is a little upset over it. I turned down a 5 Million bid from Leeds on him. I turned down several bids on Jamie, but he isn't unhappy to stay."

Gond laughed, "Has Sammy (Gohl) gotten on his soapbox on those?"

Faramir pondered thoughtfully, "Actually he hasn't. That might be more worrisome than if he was spouting his usual vile commentary."

"At least we have an easier opener this season- St.Mirren," stated Gond.

"They are eager to prove themselves at SPL level, it won't pay to take them lightly," replied Faramir.

"Who is on the Senior side to start the season?"

"We will have:

Gk- Thomas Myhre, Paul Gallacher

Def- Jim Paterson, Jamie Buchan, Danny Griffin, Taribo West, Jim Lauchlan, Jamie McCunnie, David McCracken, David Partridge

Mid- Charlie Miller, Tassos Venetis, Mark Kerr, Craig Easton, Hugh Davidson, Abgar Barsom, David Hannah, Jamie Fullarton, Billy McKinlay

SC- Scott McDonald, Mark Nicholls, Marino Keith, Butra, Rabi Youssef, Derek Lilley"

Gond thought for a moment, "You are going to let me use Anthony Boyce on reserves?"

"Yes, Hugh Davidson developed nicely- he deserves a shot at Senior side. Boyce still needs to develop more physically at this point."

"No takers on Lilley?"

Faramir shrugged, "Some interest- but nobody that will make an offer. Everyone and their brother is making offers on Jamie (McCunnie) though- but I won't let him go."

Faramir picked up the phone, "Yes. Ok, that sounds promising. Thanks for the call."

Gond looked at him with curiosity, "What's up?"

"They just completed the UEFA Qualifying Round draw. We drew USV Eschen/Mauren of Liechtenstein."

"Who?"

"Sorry, Barry. I have never heard of them either."

"Hey, did you hear who Celtic grabbed to replace Henrik Larsson?"

"Who?"

"Alan Shearer."

"Hmm, that will be an interesting combination up front for them- Shearer and Sutton. They are going to be tough again this season."

Dundee United (5) St.Mirren (3)

Dundee United- C.Miller 22 M.Keith 29 Butra 61 T.Venetis 69 M.Kerr 86

St.Mirren- J.Quitongo 18 C.Wreh 32,45

"Not exactly the start I was hoping for, but I can't argue with the results," sighed Faramir. "Myhre wasn't as sharp as he was in the friendlies."

"It wasn't all his fault though. With Danny (Griffin) out- Jim (Lauchlan) didn't have the pace to match up with (Christoper) Wreh."

"True, I should have paid more attention to that matchup and given Jim a bit more help there- still he adjusted nicely in the second half. Mark (Kerr) really showed that he is more comfortable in leading the offense when needed."

"His passing was superb. Butra amazes me. You bring him in off the bench and he seems to electrify our offense almost every time."

"Good thing he did too- because this was just a match where we needed to outscore them to get the win."

Hibs (3) Dundee United (3)

Hibs- Luna 33 S.Sverrison 45 L.Andrews 45

Dundee United- M.Keith 10 T.Venetis 42 S.McDonald 84

"It was a rousing match, but we have to play some better defense. Thomas (Myhre) didn't play that well today, and it did cost us a win, but if we had given him some help at the end of the first half- then they don't get those two goals."

Gond nodded, "Even with our defenensive failings in the first half, we made some good adjustments. They really responded to the formation swith and racheted up the pressure on Hibs after that."

"It did turn out well- I have to admit I was relieved when Scott (McDonald) finally equalized. We had plenty of chances that Colgan managed to get a piece of that could have gone in."

"McDonald really looks good and he really seems to enjoy the offense."

"The bad news is that Charlie (Miller) is gone for the next month. His balky knee is acting up again and physio says we need to sit him at least that long to let it heal up some."

"At least we should have enough depth to not worry too much."

Hibs Draw Against Dundee United

by Sammy Gohl

Hibs wound up with a 3-3 draw against Dundee United when the visitors scored a lucky goal in the late stages of the second half. Up until that point they were well on track for a win as they had taken advantage of the pourous addition to Dundee United- keeper Thomas Myhre- in the first half in rattling off three goals. Nick Colgan seemed set to claim the win with good work in net, but McDonald's header looped in to allow the visitors an undeserved split of the points.

USV Eschen/Mauren (0) Dundee United (3) UEFA Cup Qualifying Round Leg 1

Eschen/Mauren- None

Dundee United- A.Barsom 7 T.Venetis 15 T.West 47

"Well, we know a bit more about them now," offered Gond.

"Yes, they have a lot of heart- but our advantage in pace and technical skill showed up nicely. It was a solid performance to start off in Europe."

"They had a very difficult time coping with Abgar (Barsom) and Tassos (Venetis)," commented Gond.

"Their lack of pace doomed them in most ways against us. It wasn't often that we weren't first to a loose ball and we continually pressured them throughout. We hold good cards going to the 2nd leg."

Dundee United (3) Rangers (1)

Dundee United- J.McCunnie 53 T.Venetis 74,77

Rangers- M.Mols 72

MOM- Jamie McCunnie, Dundee United

"*That's* why I want to hang on to Jamie McCunnie!" smiled Faramir.

"I thought we might be in trouble when Jamie Buchan went down, instead Jamie steps up and keys our win AND earns MOM honours," said Gond admiringly.

"You would have thought that 'Gers would have figured out a way to keep an eye on Tassos (Venetis) by now- after all the damage he did to them last season. But they let him loose again and he earned us the win, he really had a great match and also deserved MOM honours."

"Not only that, but Thomas Myhre started proving why you brought him here- he was superb when they were trying to rally- even with the goal he gave up to Mols."

"The entire defense stepped up its play- if we hadn't, we wouldn't have won this one."

Aberdeen (2) Dundee United (3)

Aberdeen- H.Zerouali 7 B.Thornley 17

Dundee United- R.Youssef 54 M.Nicholls 74 A.Barsom 84

Faramir and Gond were both slumped back in their chairs, obviously tired.

"That was a great win," sighed Gond.

"Quite a comeback- to be down 2-0 early and then into the second half and we still managed to rally. This club has a lot of heart."

"True, but we need better keeping," grinned Gond. "Thomas (Myhre) redeemed himself at the end with those two fantastic saves when they were rallying, but those first two..."

Faramir nodded, "Yes, he should have had both of them- neither was difficult. Still, a win is a win- and this one gave everyone watching on the telly a good show of what Dundee United football is like."

"So he is finally sold?" asked Gond.

"Yes. I tried hard to sell him to one of the English clubs, but Livingston won out on the best contract offer. Still, once he makes 10 appearances for them we will receive another 400K that we wouldn't have otherwise."

Livingston Buys Carson

Livingston today announced the transfer purchase of promising young Northern Ireland forward Stephen Carson from Dundee United. The 21 year old Carson was seeking a better chance to earn a first team place and was happy to move. The reported purchase price was 1 Million, with an additional fee clause.

Dundee United (2) USV Eschen/Mauren (0) UEFA Cup Qualifying Round 2nd Leg (Dundee United advances on 5-0 aggregate)

Dundee United- T.Venetis 32 A.Boyce 86

Eschen/Mauren- None

MOM- David Hannah, Dundee United

"Another solid performance and a very nice result- of course this was a very favorable matchup for our first European match," smiled Faramir.

"Still, it is all about getting the job done- and everyone played well today. Boyce was so happy to get that goal and the fans loved it when he retrieved it from the net."

"It was a good moment for him- he earned it by working hard for you on the reserves."

"We got *how* much for him?" asked Gond incredulously.

"Millwall finally made a top end bid of 3.2 Million. I couldn't turn that down," answered Faramir.

"I don't believe it. Well, it certainly will help the bottom line."

"Also, it will open up more playing time for Partridge and McCracken- which was a nice bonus to it."

Lauchlan Lands at Millwall

Dundee United today announced the transfer sale of defender Jim Lauchlan to Millwall for a reported price of over 3 Million. Lauchlan, a 25 yr old DLC was happy to make the move as he was promised first team duty at the English side- something he hadn't been able to garner at Dundee United.

Motherwell (0) Dundee United (2)

Motherwell- None

Dundee United- M.Keith 13 D.Griffin 64

"Splendid match for us. A wonderful exhibition for the telly viewers as well," cheerily commented Gond.

"Don't get too excited, we played well, but we also could have played better."

"My, you are grumpy for having won an important match," taunted Gond lightly.

Faramir was forced to smile, "Well, certainly Thomas Myhre was a bright spot- he showed tonight why I wanted him for the number 1 keeper. He was exceptional when he had to be. Tassos (Venetis) was also great, he really put pressure on Motherwell every time he had the ball. The one player they had who could stay with him was Stephen Pearson, and they sold him off to Reading for 2.8 Million."

Faramir handed the faxed sheet over to Barry Gond, "Here is the draw for the first round of UEFA."

"Parma? Hmm, I suppose it could have been worse- but it also might have been easier."

"I think we got our 'easy' draw with Eschen/Mauren- probably shouldn't expect any other nice draws the rest of the way."

"Do you really think he is worth adding? After all, you were planning on opening up more playing time for McCracken and Partridge."

"The way it stands Barry is that I think I will be forced to allow Jim Paterson to move at some point in time. He is very unhappy that I blocked the Chelsea transfer. With that in mind, I think he is a good addition and if Jim does move- then Taribo (West) can move over to leftback."

Moore Coming to Dundee United

Dundee United today announced the transfer purchase of 28 yr old DC Darren Moore from WBA. Moore was excited to move up in competition and is hoping to work his way into the backline mix- something certainly possible given the recent sale of Jim Lauchlan.

Dundee United (0) Celtic (1)

Dundee United- None

Celtic- A.Shearer 25

MOM- Robert Douglas, Celtic

"Douglas certainly deserved the MOM honours- he was fantastic today," sighed Gond.

"We had plenty of good opportunities against him, but if he didn't save them- we missed the net with them. Still, it was a solid performance against them- they aren't as good as last season- without Larsson that is."

"Good enough today though."

Celtic Tops Dundee United

by Sammy Gohl

Once again, Celtic put the Dundee United club under wraps as they again defeated them and took over the top spot in the SPL. Steady veteran Alan Shearer scored the match winning goal in the first half when his strong header sailed past Thomas Myhre. With the lead, Celtic put the clamps on the Dundee United offense- limiting their chances as they rolled to the impressive 1-0 win.

Parma (3) Dundee United (1) UEFA Cup 1st round Leg 1

Parma- J.Micoud 4,78 M.Ambrosini 45

Dundee United- C.Miller 35

MOM- Johan Micoud, Parma

"Allow me to revise my opinion, this was a beastly draw for a 1st round match," grumbled Faramir. "We had some good moments, but Sebastien Frey sure spoilt a lot of our good chances."

"At least we got Charlie (Miller) for the match- and we have an away goal," countered Gond.

"I am not sure that our away goal will be enough- not if Frey is as tough at Tannadice Park as he was today. That last goal by Micoud really hurt- we would be in much better shape if only down 2-1 going to the 2nd leg."

Gond nodded, "That one by Ambrosini also hurt- I thought that time was going to run out before he got his head on the cross from Micoud- instead the whistle blows scant moments later."

Parma Pummels Dundee United

by Sammy Gohl

Parma looks on track for a destination in the 2nd round of UEFA as they pounded Dundee United to hand them a humbling 3-1 defeat. The Italian side looked much the class of the match as their superior technical skill allowed them to take full advantage of the struggling Dundee United backline. Dundee United keeper Thomas Myhre appears to have lost the confidence of his fellow players as he again provided little support for them in net.

St.Johnstone (1) Dundee United (1)

St.Johnstone- N.Dasovic 32

Dundee United- M.Nicholls 30

MOM- Nick Dasovic, St.Johnstone

"I am beginning to wonder what we need to do to score. That is the third match in a row where we produced excellent scoring chances, but could not convert on them."

Gond commented, "Scott McDonald has played excellent this year- but he hasn't proven he is consistent scorer right now."

"I am convinced he will be- in time. Overall, I was pleased with the match- even though we couldn't manage to win. Paul (Gallacher) played well in his first match this season."

Dundee United (3) Livingston (0)

Dundee United- C.Miller 17 R.Youssef 59 Butra 81

Livingston- None

MOM- Darren Moore, Dundee United

"Hmm, I see why you wanted Darren (Moore)- big, mobile and a force in front of the net. Not that Taribo (West) didn't do well there, but he sure looks more comfortable out roaming at leftback," stated Gond.

"So far, so good on the transformation. The initial transfer bid on Jim (Paterson) fell through- so he isn't going anywhere just yet- but I suspect it won't be long before we move him."

Gond bent a pencil while thinking, "We are a much better club with Charlie (Miller) in the lineup. He balances our offense very nicely."

"I hope we can keep him the whole year. The big clubs- like Chelsea, Manchester United, etc... are starting to scout him regularly."

Thanks HD icon_smile.gif

"Lord?"

"Yes, Lady?"

"Have you pierced the curtain to this other world in the last while?"

"Nay, Lady. I have tried, but have encountered some resistance to my efforts. It feels like I can extend possibly a thin tendril of my thoughts, but I haven't been able to fully make my way through as previously."

She was obviously thinking for a moment, "Lord, I perceive some type of change to the curtain. It is almost as though someone or something is unconsciously aiding me."

"Why do you feel so, Lady?"

"Because as I struggle to maintain your presence here, I have the impression that a thin veil has been added to the barrier. It is almost as if there is someone or something adding a light touch of deception to my efforts."

Worridly he asked, "Do you think this is the Dark Lord? Do you think he is adding this to prevent me from journeying there?"

He could almost sense her head shaking in disagreement, "Nay Lord, I would know that touch all too well. I believe it is some assistance to keep the curtain hidden."

"It is affecting my traveling through it, but I do believe I can force more of my mind and thoughts through. Do you think I should Lady?"

She was quiet a long time, "Yes, Lord. I believe you should continue to exert yourself. Do not ask me why I feel this is correct, but it has a feeling of being the right thing for you to do."

Dundee United (2) Parma (2) UEFA Cup 1st Round 2nd Leg (Parma advances on 5-3 aggregate)

Dundee United- M.Nicholls 9,67

Parma- H.Nakata 48 R.Di Matteo 54

MOM- Hidetoshi Nakata, Parma

"I really thought we had a great chance- after Mark (Nicholls) scored the only goal of the first half. If we could have come out stronger from halftime...Ah well," offered Faramir.

"They were just a better club than we were. Even once Martin Djetou was sent off, we couldn't get a lot of chances," replied Gond.

Parma Brooms Dundee United

by Sammy Gohl

Italy ruled at Tannadice Park as Dundee United's fans had to be disappointed with their performance in drawing 2-2 against Parma- thus ending their short-lived run in the UEFA Cup. Despite taking the lead and then having a man advantage when a questionable call sent off Martin Djetou, Dundee United could not exert any kind of offensive pressure. Their lone bright light was Mark Nicholl, who scored a pair of goals.

Hearts (2) Dundee United (2)

Hearts- A.Hinchcliffe 8-P H.Murray 54

Dundee United- M.Keith 36,90

MOM- Marino Keith, Dundee United

"It sure looked like we were going to wind up with a loss," grimaced Gond.

"Yeah, I have to agree- I thought we were going to come up short. It was Marino's determination that kept him going and he got to the loose ball first. Jamie Langfield was a tough customer tonight."

"There was a lot of talk about your resting Tassos (Venetis) for this match."

"He needed a rest. Same reason Paul (Gallacher) was back in net for this one. It's still early in a long season- there are going to be times players need a match off."

Morton (0) Dundee United (3)

Morton- None

Dundee United- R.Youssef 13,57 J.Fullarton 45

MOM- Rabi Youssef, Dundee United

"That was just what we needed- a nice comfortable win, with plenty of good effort and execution," rumbled Faramir.

Gond tapped at the chair's arm with his clipboard, "It was an efficient win to be sure- I was glad we never let them have a hint of hope in the match."

"You're right, you don't want to give the minnows hope at home- things can turn bad very quickly that way."

"Are you sure?"

"He just agreed to a contract. We will announce it tomorrow."

Iversen for Paterson

In a straight swap of players, Dundee United swapped out leftback Jim Paterson and received from Tottenham talented 24 yr old FLC Steffen Iversen. Iversen will likely move directly into the starting lineup and both the Board and the fans were happy at the addition of the Norwegian forward.

Dundee United (0) Dundee (0)

Dundee United- None

Dundee- None

MOM- Danny Griffin, Dundee United

"This lack of scoring is killing us," exclaimed Gond.

"It will sort itself out. Give it time. We are generating the chances we need, but the combination of hot keepers, unforgiving posts and mis-aimed shots are keeping us off the scoreboard now. That will change if we can just keep the boys from getting too frustrated."

Kilmarnock (1) Dundee United (5)

Kilmarnock- M.Pizzo 52

Dundee United- S.Iversen 29,33,46,67 A.Barsom 90

MOM- Steffen Iversen, Dundee United

"I bow to the wise ways of the master," chanted Gond in low, mock chant.

"Oh, stop it. You knew we were going to start scoring too- you saw how well things were going in practice."

"True, but I wasn't sure Steffen (Iversen) was comfortable with our offense yet. He is."

"There is another problem now though. Mark Nicholls told me he thinks we have too many quality forwards and is unhappy about it. I told him both Lilley and McIntyre are on their way out, but that didn't make him happy."

"Is he upset enough to make a stink about it?"

"Not yet. For now it is just a frustration thing."

St.Mirren (2) Dundee United (4)

St.Mirren- C.Wreh 47-P A.Ormerod 68

Dundee United- C.Miller 2 J.Buchan 13 R.Youssef 33 T.Venetis 76-P

MOM- Charlie Miller, Dundee United

"What a strange match," said Faramir as he shook his head. "First Thomas (Myhre) is sent off on the questionable call in the area, then he sends Simon Lappin from them off on a questionable call in the area."

"Equally unusual officiating," asked Gond with a smile. "Still, it is going to hurt losing Myhre on the inevitable supsension."

"Alan (Combe) will be moving up for the meantime."

"I guessed that."

"It was a good offensive effort in the first half. With that cushion, we could afford the couple of goals they managed to score on Paul (Gallacher)."

"Yes, but it was nice to regain the cushion when Tassos (Venetis) converted the penalty," stated Gond.

Dundee United (4) Aberdeen (0)

Dundee United- T.Venetis 42-P M.Kerr 45,52 S.Iversen 81

Aberdeen- None

"The complexion of the match certainly changed when Derek Whyte pushed Mark (Kerr) in the area. Once Tassos (Venetis) converted the penalty- it seemed all the pressure was off," commented Gond.

"And we were off to the races at that point as well. We played superbly after we got the lead. Up until then, Alan (Combe) did some excellent work in net to keep the clean sheet. It was good to see him step right in and play well- despite not being on the senior side before now this season."

"Mark really had a stellar match. Hopefully, we won't start seeing all the bids on him too."

Faramir shrugged, "Our squad is drawing a lot of interest from big clubs right now- we are going to see more bids on players whether we want to or not."

Dundee United (0) Motherwell (2)

Dundee United- None

Motherwell- K.Twaddle 64 S.Nicholas 79

MOM- Ange Oueifio, Motherwell

"That was certainly a poor exhibition on our part. We really didn't do much right in the match," flatly stated Faramir.

"They wanted the match more than our boys did, they really had the jump on us the entire match. When we did get a chance- Brown was there in net."

"This is one time when we deserve whatever crap that Sammy Gohl dishes out."

Motherwell Smothers Dundee United

by Sammy Gohl

Motherwell, looking every bit the title contender that many expected of them this season, gave Dundee United a thrashing at Tannadice Park in front of a vocally restive crowd. Two second half goals punctuated the win and one has to wonder how upset the Dundee United board will be at such a dismal performance.

Dundee United (2) Hibs (1)

Dundee United- S.Iversen 51 Butra 90

Hibs- M.McCulloch 66

MOM- Mark McCulloch, Hibs

"Butra snatched the win for us, but I thought he didn't have his usual electric pace out there today," stated Gond.

"I think all the bumping going on affected him- he isn't the biggest person. The entire match was very physical today and we were fortunate to take three points from it."

"Steffen (Iversen) continues to impress me. We really do have a class scorer up front now- and it should help."

He walked through the quickening darkness, the sunset now providing only its dusky glow to the familiar surroundings of the path. The autumn night seemed almost still with anticipation, as though it sensed something would bring the chill wind momentarily.

Musing to himself he considered his two previous meetings with the old man. How could he have not even learned his name? That seemed odd, yet he knew there was a strangeness about the old man that went beyond normal reckoning. Despite not knowing his name, he somehow found he trusted the old man and his promise that he would meet him again when he was able.

Suddenly, he stopped in his tracks. The opening was there again. He had looked for it night after night on his regular vigil, but tonight it was here. Would the old man be there? With a slight bit of trepidation he strode toward the opening and entered once again.

"I knew you would be here," a soft, yet firm voice stated. "Who are you?"

A bit stunned, Faramir realized the speaker was a woman, a young woman. "Who are you? Why are you here?" he asked.

"I asked you first," she stated firmly.

Glancing around and realizing that she was alone, that there was no old man this time, he took his time answering. "I am called Faramir," he finally said in a low tone.

"Welcome then Mr. Faramir. I knew I was meeting someone, but not who I would be meeting."

Seeing her seated patiently waiting, he realized that she wanted him to sit. He sat upon the same log he remembered from his last visit. "I answered your question. Now could you please tell me who you are?"

"I'm Allye Owen."

"My pleasure then Allye, but why are you here?"

She sighed and shook her head, "You wouldn't believe me if I told you."

He chuckled, "Try me."

Staring intently at him, as if to see if he was making fun of her, she finally said, "My waking dreams told me to come to this place."

Thoughtfully, he rubbed his chin as he considered her statement. "These dreams wouldn't happen to have featured an older man, with a grey beard would they?"

She stood up staring in shock at him, "How did you know?"

He shook his head at the comment, "It was just a guess."

"It was more than that. I sense that much in your comment. Still, I will tell you about the dream- it seems it was in the heavens for me to meet you here." She glanced at him almost shyly, "That is if you want to listen to them."

"Why wouldn't I want to hear?"

Looking downcast, "You mean you don't know about me?"

"I am sorry, but I know nothing of you. We haven't met before have we?"

"No, I am certain we haven't- unless somewhere other than this time." Now holding her chin up a bit proudly and defiantly, "I am known as the crazy woman by more than a few. My ancestors were druids and seers, and I have the ability..." her voice dropped into a quiet whisper "the ability to see things and foretell...well, sometimes..." her voice drifted off into a tortured murmur. "Who am I fooling? I play at being a seer- a fortune teller- but I can't actually see the future."

"Why are you here then?"

"I told you. A waking dream told me to come to this place. An old man saying quietly to me, "Take a walk to the hollow, you will be met."

He quietly regarded her in the dwindling light, "You aren't crazy. I am familiar with this old man too. I don't know what he has in mind- but it is obvious he wanted us to meet, though I can't tell you why."

DANGER!

The thought crossed unbidden in his mind, as he grabbed up a stout branch laying on the ground. She too was on her feet glancing around at the shadows.

"Allye, did you sense someone warning you?"

"Yes."

Something swept out of the shadows as Faramir and Allye stood more or less back to back at the edge of the circle. Without being able to explain it, Faramir realized something-someone was controlling his actions and his use of the branch as a weapon felt entirely fluid and natural. As the shape hurtled at him, he whipped the blunt edge where the branch had broken off and was rewarded with a muffled gasp as the shape collapsed in a heap. Out of the corner of his eye he saw her whip out an extending baton and swat one of the shapes over a log. He whirled around and caught another shape with the pointed end of the stick and it dropped as another muddled shape on the ground. Looking around he was in time to see Allye lash out with her foot and drop another bundle.

As they gasped for breath, the fire in the circle behind them suddenly flared to life and there was a general anguished

scream that came from the surrounding shadows. They sensed whatever had attacked them had been sent fleeing by the sudden appearance of the light. Even the shapes on the ground had vanished with its arrival.

"What were those?" gasped Allye.

"Something of the dark," muttered Faramir.

"How do you know that?"

He shook his head, "I don't fully know. I think it's time for us to leave this place though- let's get to someplace with a bit more life."

They were seated in the corner booth of the pub. Though not brightly lit, it still warmed their spirits after the encounter in the woods.

She looked urgently at Faramir, "Do you know what is going on?"

He shrugged, "Not really Allye. I know a bit more than you, but I am also in the dark on what it all means."

Staring pensively at him she urged, "Tell me what you do know, maybe we can make some sense of this."

Leaning back against the booth, he looked at her, "My turn to make you think I am crazy then. I think I am receiving someone's thoughts. I can't tell from where, but from what little I have seen it is someplace not of this earth."

"Could you be getting thoughts from your ancestors?"

"What?"

"I have heard that sometimes people can get thoughts sent years before by their ancestors."

"Where did you hear that- the tabloid press?" he asked with sarcasm.

Stung into silence by the rebuke, she remained staring at him.

He closed his eyes and then sighed, "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to snap at you Allye. Look, I believe the thoughts may come from the imagination of my brother and I- they seem to be of Middle Earth."

"Lord of the Rings? JRR?" she exclaimed excitedly, "they are favorites of mine."

He nodded mutely.

"You said you think they are somebody else's thoughts. Why do you think that?"

"Because I have the oddest sensation of looking at my memories and now seeing them differently. They aren't the same memories that I had of my imagination playing with my brother. They are much more real and vivid in my thoughts now. Strange things have happened to me as well in the last year. For example meeting you tonight and fighting with a branch like a quarterstaff- when I have never actually fought with anything but my fists. By the way, how did you learn to fight like that?"

"I was picked on too much when younger, I got tired of it and took many, many self-defense classes. I can hold my own and have had to occasionally since then. Seers are generally seen as easily picked upon crackpots, I have had to crack a few heads now and then to change that perception."

He shook his head in slight amazement, "I don't think I was sent to protect you then- maybe the other way around."

She hunched her shoulders, "Was yours like a waking dream too? Like I described?"

"It seemed much more real than a waking dream."

"You told me that whatever attacked us- was of the dark. How did you know that?"

"I don't know. I just know it- sense it- somehow."

"Here, give me your palm," she stated.

"I thought you told me you weren't a real seer?"

"I'm not- well, I don't think so at least. But after tonight, I am not as sure as I was."

He offered his palm up to her over the table.

She took his larger hand in both hers and then took her right hand and traced it along the creases of his weather worn palm.

Almost as if bitten, she suddenly withdrew her hands. She stared at him, her breathing gasping, "That has *never* happened before."

"What happened Allye?"

"I saw something when tracing the lines," she shook her head as if to clear the vision.

"What did you see?" he asked with some urgency in his voice.

"I saw you. I also saw a shadow you. It seemed like someone perched just over your shoulder looking on. The shadow you seemed to smile to reassure me somehow."

"Lady?"

"Yes, Lord?"

"I was seen."

"By whom?" the alarm in her voice was evident.

"I do not know. It was across the curtain. A young lady it seemed. She stared at me. I did not want to frighten or threaten her- all I could do was smile. Somehow she sees the real me here- even though she lies on the other side of the curtain."

"This is all very strange Lord. I have no knowledge of what might be happening. I was worried that somehow something might be pulling your mind across the curtain, but I can sense that this is not what is happening."

"I could not talk to her, but she does see me there. Could it be that like you- she can see into other's minds?"

"That is possible Lord. We know nothing of the world on the other side of the curtain- you seem to be the only one who can really sense anything actually beyond the curtain."

"Are you OK Allye?"

"Yes, it just startled me is all."

"You asked me how I knew those *things* were of the dark. I wonder if the 'shadow' me is somehow providing me knowledge - and maybe helping me somehow."

She looked thoughtful, "That would explain why it seemed to merge with you as I kept looking. As soon as I wasn't touching you- I couldn't see it anymore."

"It would also explain some of the strange memories I have. Maybe I am sharing my mind with this apparition."

"Someone else- the Old Man- set me on the path to see you. It could be that this was why- to make you more aware of your 'shadow'."

"How did you get to the hollow anyway? I have been there twice before and never have been able to find it while searching other times."

"I just walked along the path that the Old Man set in my mind. When I got to the hollow, I knew it was the place he had intended me to be when he told me that 'I would be met'."

He stared at the dim table lamp for a moment, "I expected to see the Old Man again when I entered the hollow. I wasn't prepared to meet you."

"You *met* the Old Man?"

"Like I said, I have been to the hollow twice before- and each time the Old Man was there. He certainly seemed real enough when I was there talking to him. He hinted that I had to make some kind of journey."

She stared a hole through him, "Look. I told you about me- about how I have pretended to be a seer, pretended to be a daughter of druid ancestors- this is the first time I have ever had anything happen that remotely resembled what I would expect a real seer to experience."

Plaintively she asked, "Please let me come along."

He looked a bit surprised, "Come along on what? I don't have a clue what is going on. The Old Man wouldn't tell me any more than that."

"I don't care. Just promise me that I can come along on whatever journey you are taking."

Snorting, he stated, "Look Allye. You don't even know me. You don't know what journey I might be taking. I don't even know what journey I might be taking."

Stubbornly, she cut him off, "You are the nexus. I know you will make the journey."

Suspicion now clouding his face, he hissed, "What did you call me?"

Startled by the sudden change is his demeanor she stopped, "You are the nexus."

"Where did you hear that?" he demanded.

"I didn't hear it. I see it. I can't explain it, but I knew somehow when I touched you and saw the 'shadow' that you were the nexus. The nexus is something real seers can routinely sense- so you have to take my feeling that you are that with a grain of salt- since I still have little claim to being a real seer."

He relaxed into a frown, "You appear to be on your way to becoming a real seer Allye. The Old Man told me that I am the nexus."

They both looked down, lost in their own thoughts.

Rangers (2) Dundee United (0)

Rangers- T.Flo 47-P B.Ferguson 54

Dundee United- None

MOM- Stefan Klos

"I think Thomas (Myhre) is starting to get a bad rep with the referees. To get sent off on a borderline call wasn't what I expected when the he blew the whistle," sighed Faramir.

"It isn't much use worrying about it now- but if they don't make that call, we might well have turned this match around. We had a lot of pressure on Stefan Klos and if he hadn't played so well, the result could have been better for us," replied Barry Gond.

"True. For the most part I was pleased with our offensive effort today. Still, it was a loss we couldn't really afford- given how hot they have been lately."

Rangers Roll Past Dundee United

by Sammy Gohl

Rangers used the aggressiveness of Dundee United keeper Thomas Myhre against him as they encouraged him and he earned his 2nd redcard in the last 5 League matches when he took down Mickael Mols in the area. Rangers used the penalty and a booming blast from Barry Ferguson as they vaulted into first place in the SPL on the basis of their 2-0 win.

Livingston (2) Dundee United (4)

Livingston- S.Whalen 17,32

Dundee United- D.Hannah 70 S.Iversen 77 M.Kerr 80 T.Venetis 87-P

"Superb win for us. To play as poorly as we did in the first half and early 2nd half- and be down 2-0- it was a great match to win," cheerfully commented Gond.

"Once we figured out how to put the clamps on Stephen Whalen, the match swung back our way- he was a one-man show for them today and based on that performance, I bet Celtic or 'Gers grabs him up quick."

"Once we got that first goal, the floodgates seemed to open- it was like the pressure was off and they relaxed and executed some nice passing sequences."

"Combe disappointed me again though- I thought he might build on his other good performance- instead he was out-of-position on both goals."

Dundee United (4) St.Johnstone (1)

Dundee United- A.Barsom 11,80 M.Keith 33,37-P

St.Johnstone- T.Lovenkrands 24

"It is good to see our players stepping up and filling in for the regulars, when given the opportunity," said a pleased Faramir. "Everyone is contributing and that is the way you survive a long season like this..."

"Abgar (Barsom) was excellent today- he really controlled the flow of the entire match. Marino (Keith) also deserves a lot of credit- the first time he has played in over a month and he chips in with a pair of goals."

Celtic (1) Dundee United (1)

Celtic- P.Rudden 20

Dundee United- M.Kerr 68

"That damm Douglas," frothed Gond.

"My sentiments exactly. I thought we had him beat at least 4 times in the second half after we evened the match. Instead he made brilliant work on every one of them."

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">

************************************************************************************************

Scottish Premier Division - Saturday 30th November 2002

************************************************************************************************

================================================================================================

2002/3 Table

================================================================================================

Pos Team Pld Won Drn Lst For Ag Won Drn Lst For Ag Pts

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1st Rangers 19 7 2 0 22 8 4 4 2 22 17 39

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2nd Dundee Utd 19 6 1 2 21 9 5 4 1 25 16 38

3rd Aberdeen 19 7 1 2 29 14 4 2 3 14 17 36

4th Motherwell 18 4 2 3 13 13 5 3 1 16 11 32

5th Dundee 19 7 1 2 20 12 2 4 3 11 15 32

6th Celtic 18 6 3 0 27 8 2 3 4 16 15 30

7th Hibs 19 4 4 1 25 17 3 0 7 19 25 25

8th Livingston 19 3 2 4 15 17 2 3 5 10 21 20

9th Hearts 19 4 4 2 19 14 0 2 7 6 26 18

10th St. Mirren 19 3 4 3 15 14 1 1 7 14 22 17

11th Kilmarnock 19 1 3 6 11 27 1 3 5 12 23 12

12th St. Johnstone 19 1 3 5 14 20 1 1 8 8 23 10

</pre>

Dundee United (5) Hibs (0) League Cup Quarterfinal

Dundee United- D.Hannah 28 S.McDonald 36 T.Venetis 50,77 Butra 74

Hibs- None

"A complete rout. After all the problems Hibs have given us over the past two years- they sure didn't show up to play today," said Gond with a shake of his head in amazement.

"To be honest, they looked pretty tired. I think they have had to stick with their regulars starting a lot more than we have."

"Still, we were without Charlie (Miller), Danny (Griffin) and Billy (McKinlay) due to injuries- we were even money with them going into the match."

"It just proves where depth will get you. Our depth is really the reason we are doing as well as we have this season."

Dundee United Signs Morkore

Dundee United today announced the signing on free of veteran Faroe Island National midfielder Allen Morkore. Morkore, a 31 yr old DMRC was pursued by at least a dozen clubs, but chose Dundee United because of a chance to join a successful club and help make a difference in League and hopefully future European play.

Dundee United (3) Hearts (1)

Dundee United- M.Kerr 16 A.Barsom 55 M.Nicholls 80

Hearts- S.Simmons 50

"For once we finally figured out a way to solve Antti Niemi!" smiled Gond.

"I wasn't sure we were going to be able to, after that first half he had. How much did we outshoot them by?"

Gond glanced down at the stat sheet, "19-4 for the match."

"That about sums it up- it was a good performance by everyone on our side today."

"Only the top clubs are left," said Gond reading the results in the newspaper. "Rangers and Celtic both dumped their opponents easily in the League Cup Quarters last night."

"Hopefully, we face one of them in the Finals- if we can get by Aberdeen in the Semis."

"Why? Why did you sell him?" asked Gond with a tone of disbelief in his voice.

"Two reasons. First, he is 33 and we weren't going to sign him to a new contract. Second, I found out that he was feeding Sammy Gohl inside information on the club."

"Ouch. Ok, I understand now- but he had played well for us this season."

"We should be fine with David (Hannah) and Jamie (Fullarton) to cover the role."

Kilmarnock Buys McKinlay

Dundee United today announced the sale of veteran midfielder Billy McKinlay to Kilmarnock. The 33 yr old DMC reportedly was purchased for somewhere around a half million.

Dundee United (1) St.Mirren (2)

Dundee United- C.Easton 68

St.Mirren- C.Wreh 71-P I.Nicholson 77

"Grr, another frustrating penalty call. How many have we had this season?" asked Faramir of the ceiling.

Gond looked intently out the window. "I think that makes 5 so far this season. 2 for Myhre alone. It wasn't just the penalty, but the fact they took control of the match then..."

"Unfortunately true, we lost our composure today- me included."

St.Mirren Slams Dundee United

by Sammy Gohl

After a completely boring first half, St.Mirren yielded the lead to Dundee United and then stormed back to overtake them for the 2-1 win. The Tannadice fans again saw a disappointing effort by their poorly prepared side as David McCracken's vicious tackle in the area earned him a well deserved redcard and penalty for St.Mirren. Taking advantage of the plodding home side, the visitors struck for their 2nd goal in a 7 minute span to gain the win.

Dundee United (2) Kilmarnock (0)

Dundee United- M.Kerr 15 T.Venetis 24

Kilmarnock- None

MOM- Darren Moore, Dundee United

"Another solid performance for us," said a pleased Gond.

"Very workmanlike, we need that kind of effort every time out."

"Kerr drilled that shot, I guess I hadn't realized his shooting had improved that much."

"It has, but he is still more of a 'right time, right place' scorer for now. He will get better as he gets older."

Dundee (2) Dundee United (1)

Dundee- Beto 14 G.Nemsadze 45

Dundee United- S.McDonald 71

MOM- Mike Franks, Dundee

"A bad combination- abysmal shooting combined with a poor match by Thomas Myhre. That was what equaled a loss when we actually played well enough to win the match."

Gond rubbed his chin thoughtfully, "Once Scally was sent off and then McDonald scored- I thought for certain we would even the match. That Franks really did a number on us down the stretch- we had quit missing the net, and he wasn't going to let us even it up."

"It was a loss we could ill afford with Rangers, Celtic and Aberdeen all winning."

Dundee Derby Win

by Sammy Gohl

Dundee won their Derby match up with Dundee United on the spectacular shot from Georgy Nemsadze and strong defensive work. The 2-1 win will no doubt leave the Dundee United Board wondering how the rest of the season will go for their overachieving side.

"Just in time is what I would say, we have *so* many injuries on the backline," offered Gond.

"I was looking at having to start David Hannah at rightback against Aberdeen, but now that the deal has gone through. Best of all- this was a reinvestment of the money from the McKinlay sale- so McKinlay for him?"

Gond laughed, "Certainly a fair deal in my book."

Dundee United Purchases Schembri (II)

Dundee United completed their transfer purchase of Italian rightback Angelo Schembri (II) from Gattopardo for a reported cost of 500K. Schembri (II), a promising 18 yr old DRC, may step directly into the Dundee United starting lineup, as injuries to Danny Griffin, David McCracken, Jamie McCunnie, Jamie Buchan have decimated their backline.

Aberdeen (3) Dundee United (1)

Aberdeen- R.Winters 23 R.Anderson 35 H.Zerouali 63-P

Dundee United- Butra 65

MOM- Robbie Winters, Aberdeen

"That was a bad match. I am glad we have an 18 day break now, we need it to rest up the backline and get back to the basics on coverage," said an unhappy Faramir.

"They always give us problems, but today they controlled the midfield throughout the match. Even the lone goal we got was because of Butra's individual effort."

"Another match- another redcarded keeper- another penalty- this is getting rather monotonous."

Aberdeen Routs Dundee United

by Sammy Gohl

As Dundee United faint title hopes disappear, their Board must be wondering how this club could fall so far, so fast. Aberdeen crushed visiting Dundee United 3-1 in front of their delighted fans. Dundee United even threw 18 year old Angelo Schembri (II) into the fray, hoping to stem their tide of inferior backline play. The referees are obviously on to the Dundee United ploys now- as keeper Paul Gallacher was redcarded for pulling a player down in the area.

Dundee United (4) Rangers (1)

Dundee United- M.Nicholls 20 C.Miller 45 Butra 81 A.Barsom 90

Rangers- G.Teale 7

"I think Sammy G. may be a little quiet about this one," laughed Gond.

"Likely so," stated Faramir wryly. "It was very nice to not only end their 13 match unbeaten streak- but to pummel them while doing so. That was one of our strongest offensive performances this season."

"Don't forget the good work defensively early on though- because they had early pressure and Thomas (Myhre) held firm after Teale's goal."

"If they are willing to accept 700K for him, he is a bargain," stated Gond.

"That's what I thought and even though we have a full stable of forwards- I think he would be a good addition."

Dundee United Adds a 'Shef'

Dundee United announced the transfer purchase of Finnish forward Shefki Kuqi from Stockport. The 24 yr old FRC had been unhappy about his lacking of playing time at the English side and ready to move anywhere that would offer the prospect of starting. The reported purchase price was 700K, much less than Kuqi was originally rated at.

Hibs (1) Dundee United (2)

Hibs- M.McIntosh 55

Dundee United- A.Barsom 7 S.Kuqi 22

MOM- Thomas Myhre, Dundee United

"Another match, another penalty- and this one wound up being much too close because of it. Those last moments were a bit heart-stopping, watching Thomas (Myhre) string one good save after antother together."

"At least we saw that Shefki (Kuqi) will fit right in. If Iversen starts hitting the net with his shots- those two could be a pretty potent combo," answered Gond.

Dundee United (0) Raith Rovers (0) Scottish Cup 3rd round

Dundee United- None

Raith- None

MOM- Allen Morkore, Dundee United

"Unfortunately, that is why I felt we needed to add Shefki (Kuqi) and Steffen (Iversen)- we just weren't getting scoring from some of other forwards. We didn't get it today either."

Gond nodded thoughtfully, "That and the fact that we took them for granted. That isn't a bad little club they have- and Nacho Nova is definately an SPL class forward."

"Just have to put a better lineup out there for the replay."

Dundee United Finds Farnerud

Dundee United beat out Sheffield Wednesday in the pursuit of promising young Swedish midfielder Alexander Farnerud. The 18 yr old AMFRLC was playing at Landskrona and the reported purchase price was only 50K. Farnerud may see some senior level play this season.

Raith Rovers (2) Dundee United (3)

Raith- R.Huggon 40 R.Mathieson 60

Dundee United- R.Youssef 9,64 T.Venetis 86

MOM- Rabi Youssef, Dundee United

"It certainly wasn't the prettiest win, but we kept battling for it," stated a tired Gond.

An equally tired Faramir rubbed his hand through his hair, "I was surprised that Tassos (Venetis) wasn't able to really play a great match- they didn't match up with him at all. He just doesn't seem to have that extra gear in his pace that he had last season."

Gond shrugged, "He was there in time to fire home the match winner."

"True, have to give him that. Rabi (Youssef) played great today and the youngster (Alexander Farnerud) had a solid debut- I think he will help us a lot in depth down the stretch."

Dundee United (4) Livingston (0)

Dundee United- S.Iversen 10 C.Miller 21 M.Kerr 48 A.Barsom 72

Livingston- None

"That was a nice win, but we could have done without all the associated injuries," said a perturbed Faramir. "What does the physio's score card look like Barry?"

"Thomas (Myhre) and Darren (Moore) should only be out about 10 days. Charlie (Miller) will miss at least two weeks with his ankle- it looks a mess right now."

"It was great to see Tassos step up- that was his first time in as a sub."

St.Johnstone (0) Dundee United (2)

St.Johnstone- None

Dundee United- Butra 78,90

MOM- Butra

"Great match for Butra, he sparked us as usual," asserted Barry Gond.

"Their manager, Joe Royale, was screaming bloody murder after the match. I might have been as well- having lost two goals to offside calls, before we scored either of ours. Both calls were close, but they looked correct on tape."

"I doubt that will sway him much."

"It wouldn't me either, but then we were on the right side of the whistle this time around."

Aberdeen (1) Dundee United (0) League Cup Semifinal

Aberdeen- R.Winters 20

Dundee United- None

MOM- Jonathan Gould, Aberdeen

"That was a woeful performance, and we deserve every bit of scorn we garner for it," declared Faramir.

"Give Gould credit, he may have earned himself back on to the National side with that brilliant bit of keeping," answered Gond.

"It is still hard for me to believe, despite his heroics, that we could not score when we had a two man advantage on them for most of the second half- with their best players, Darren and Derek Young both off on their 2nd yellow cards. We *should* have scored- that is all there is to that."

Aberdeen Aces Dundee United

by Sammy Gohl

Aberdeen had to fight some of the most blatant favored officiating ever seen in an important Cup match- but was able to persevere and overcome as they will move on to the finals of the League Cup on their 1-0 win over Dundee United. With their two Youngs (Derek and Darren) in a flurry of bad decision yellow cards- they still managed to prove that Dundee United's moribund offense was no match for their defense. The Board of Dundee United should be seriously looking at why they allowed their Manager to waste their funds on Iversen and Kuqi.

Dundee United (5) St.Johnstone (0) Scottish Cup 4th round

Dundee United- S.Kuqi 37,90 T.Venetis 54 J.Fullarton 56 C.Easton 63

St.Johnstone- None

MOM- Shefki Kuqi, Dundee United

"Looks like Shefki (Kuqi) was a little upset at Sammy's comments," said Gond with a smile.

"He was out there to make his presence known tonight. I loved the fact when he would talk to the other reporters, but wouldn't answer any of Sammy's questions. It didn't take long for the other press to pick up on that either," laughed Faramir.

Motherwell (0) Dundee United (0)

Motherwell- None

Dundee United- None

MOM- Ange Oueifio, Motherwell

"Lovely match, but it would have been much better if we had scored," sighed Gond.

"Both clubs gave it their best effort. We had chances to win, but so did they- it was a good match by both (Mark) Brown and Thomas (Myhre)."

Dundee United (3) Celtic (2)

Dundee United- A.Barsom 25,69 M.Kerr 61

Celtic- J.Hartson 14-P S.Nicholas 84

"That penalty call - and Hartson's goal- really seemed to wake us up, we weren't sharp in the early going," commented Gond.

"It was about then that Abgar finally got it in gear too- from that point on, they couldn't defend him," agreed Faramir.

"Mark (Kerr) had a good match too- he hadn't been playing well in practice and I was worried about him."

"I was more worried that I couldn't use Tassos (Venetis) in the match. Darren (Moore) really shouldn't have been in there- with him not fully recovered- but I felt we needed him in again."

Dundee United (4) Partick Thistle (0) Scottish Cup 5th round

Dundee United- A.Barsom 7 S.Kuqi 16,28,44

Partick- None

MOM- Shefki Kuqi, Dundee United

"Yes, he does know how to score," grinned Gond.

"Well, given that this was an undermanned Partick Thistle side- yes he has little problem scoring when the backline can't handle him physically. Hopefully, he will continue to exert that presence in League games."

"I wish we could get Iversen going at the same time- if both of them were on fire, we would be tough to beat down the stretch."

Faramir banged his desk with his hand. "I knew this was going to happen!"

Gond leaned into the door, "What's wrong?"

"Chelsea just made a bid that met Charlie Miller's minimum fee release. Just when he had gotten comfortable with the idea of staying here- and we had just begun negotiations on a new contract."

"Any chance he will stay?"

Faramir gave Gond a slow glance, "What do you think?"

"Ah, no chance at all."

"I wouldn't mind losing him after the season, but right in the middle of our stretch run- not to mention for our Scottish Cup Semifinal against Hibs- oh well. At least we have the depth to survive the loss in the short-term, and it will please the Board since it will be a record transfer sale."

Chelsea Chooses Charlie

Chelsea, involved in a battle to grab a spot in Europe next season, splashed out 7.75 Million to purchase Charlie Miller from Dundee United. Miller, one of the keys to Dundee United's success the past two seasons, was happy for the chance to move to the storied side and prove himself against EPL competition.

Hearts (0) Dundee United (2)

Hearts- None

Dundee United- T.Venetis 49-P M.Kerr 61

"When Robert Tomaschek hacked Tassos (Venetis) down in the area, I wasn't sure they were going to call anything- let alone a penalty," said a weary Barry Gond.

"I think it must have looked worse from the angle the referee was at. I did not expect him to give him a red card though. The penalty was reward enough- after Tassos converted the kick at least. Overall, it was a very good effort today."

"There didn't seem to be too much ill effects of losing Charlie (Miller)- at least today."

Dundee United (3) Dundee (2)

Dundee United- M.Kerr 57 Butra 64 S.Iversen 90

Dundee- F.Caballaro 21,47

MOM- Fabian Caballaro, Dundee

"We dug ourselves out of quite a hole in that one," observed a happy Gond.

"The first half looked like a replay of our last loss to them. We lost a goal on offsides and watched (Mike) Franks play out of his gourd in net. Still, we managed to right ourselves this time."

"It was some good, hard work in their end that earned us our goals."

"Looked like they expected us to back off the pressure once we got back to 2-2."

"A draw wouldn't have helped us, not with Rangers already on a winning way, we had to keep going for the win. I am glad Steffen got the match winner after losing his earlier goal on Shefki's offside- he really did deserve to get the goal."

Hibs (3) Dundee United (1) Scottish Cup Semifinal

Hibs- M.McIntosh 16-P L.Andrews 45 C.Guntveit 62

Dundee United- S.Kuqi 14

MOM- Martin McIntosh, Hibs

"You are going to get fined for that one," commented Gond.

"Let them fine me! I don't care! I can't believe that kind of officiating in a Semifinal match. Here, you look at the stat sheet- we were called for *21* offsides- they were called for 1? We lost two goals to those offsides calls. Beyond that, he awards them a penalty- and then ignores the same kind of foul on Mark (Kerr) in the area?" At that pointed comment, Faramir sent his clipboard crashing against the wall. "Look, I give Hibs a lot of credit, because they played well- and I included that in my remarks. But if the officiating isn't going to give us a chance to win it ourself, I am going to comment on it."

Faramir Loses Cool Over Loss

by Sammy Gohl

In an all too typical unsportsmanlike act, Dundee United's manager Faramir cried foul over the officiating in the Scottish Cup Semifinal. To hide his club's poor effort that saw them broomed from their 2nd straight Semifinal, he attempted to bring blame upon the referee. To this observer, it is only so many sour grapes- as the officiating was surely fair and even.

Faramir threw the paper back on the table after reading it, "You know, I intensely dislike him- but he is right in this case. I lost my cool and we are certain to get no help from the referees the rest of this season because of that."

Gond laughed, "Like we have gotten any help from them anyways? Are you forgetting the number of penalties awarded against us this season? No, I don't think we are going to be missing much."

Thanks OMD- there is plenty more to come (since story is lagging well behind actual playing of the challenge)

The voice seemed to awaken him in the night. Still groggy he lay there.

"Let time and troubles wash over you. Seek to leave behind the foundations for those who would follow..." echoed in his dreamlike thoughts. He considered the thoughts and then finally surrendered to sleep again.

"You seem in good humor Lord." quizzically asked the Lady Galadriel.

"Yes, Lady. I believe I am guilty of lecturing the mind I am sharing with. I was just giving it some of my learnings on ruling."

Kilmarnock (2) Dundee United (2)

Kilmarnock- B.McKinlay 52 A.Calderon 64

Dundee United- A.Farnerud 31,74

MOM- Alexander Farnerud, Dundee United

"Great match from Alex, your purchase of him ranks highly in forethought- given the loss of Charlie (Miller)," offered Gond.

"I didn't expect to lose Charlie, but when he was available- it was dirt cheap for such a talented player and I couldn't turn it down."

"You were right on the referees today though, Mark Nicholls getting knocked over three straight times in the area with the referee sticking his whistle in his pocket was somewhat blatant- even if expected."

"You notice how I went out of my way to avoid commenting on today's officiating in the press conference?" asked Faramir with a grin.

Aberdeen (1) Dundee United (2)

Aberdeen- B.Bett 49-P

Dundee United- S.Kuqi 4 R.Youssef 67

MOM- Jonathan Gould, Aberdeen

"You know that really is the best way to answer those kind of calls," grinned Faramir.

"I was watching you," laughed Gond. "I thought for sure I would see you blow up when Thomas (Myhre) earned his 4th redcard this season and they evened the match on the penalty kick. But, you were calm, cool and collected- I couldn't even tell anything had happened by looking at you."

"I quit wearing my heart on my sleeve," chuckled Faramir. "It has been a valuable lesson to learn, both in humility and in leadership. Even better was Rabi Youssef torching their defense to score the match winner- that was a bit of sweet revenge all the way around."

"We aren't going to catch 'Gers though- with their win they need only one more win to clinch the SPL crown."

Dundee United (3) Hibs (1)

Dundee United- S.Iversen 13,55 S.Kuqi 31

Hibs- L.Andrews 4

MOM- Steffen Iversen, Dundee United

"Now that was the kind of match I was hoping we would see out of him- sooner or later," cheerily stated Gond.

"No question about it, he was the dominant player on the pitch today. It was a good performance by both he and Kuqi up front."

"Celtic beat the Rangers 4-1 to keep our hopes alive."

"Now, all we need to do is beat them here in our next match- easier said than done."

Dundee United (2) Rangers (2)

Dundee United- T.Venetis 55,84

Rangers- N.McCann 45 B.Ferguson 47

"It's too bad we let down on defense against them at the end of the first half and start of the second half. We outplayed them overall for the match," commented Gond.

"Tassos (Venetis) really had a great match and almost carried through to the win. I thought that last second shot was in, but it clanged squarely off the crossbar after going by Klos. The draw means they will almost certainly clinch the title in their next match."

"It still was a good comeback though, even with not winning it. The boys showed a lot of heart."

Motherwell (2) Dundee United (2)

Motherwell- U.Fatello 36 D.Clarke 58

Dundee United- T.West 33 M.Kerr 59

MOM- Taribo West, Dundee United

"You're still holding yourself very well, you know," chortled Gond.

"Calm as ever," smiled Faramir. "Though you know if I was the type to blow my top- I would have when they waved off Iversen's last second goal on *another* offside."

"It was a good match, even if we didn't win."

"We have 2nd place locked up now at least- and Rangers clinched 1st."

Celtic (2) Dundee United (0)

Celtic- B.Petta 9 A.Thompson 68

Dundee United- None

MOM- Dianbobo Balde, Celtic

"That was a forgettable way to end the season."

Gond nodded, "We looked really tired and slow out there today. No zip at all."

"The match didn't mean anything, but it would have been nice to show a bit more heart and desire."

Celtic Finishes Out Dundee United

by Sammy Gohl

Celtic showed what little heart Dundee United had as they plowed them under in their 2-0 win at Celtic Park. Dundee United does not deserve to finish in 2nd place based on this and other showings during the season, but they have managed to wind up there due to some failings from clubs that could deservedly be much higher.

"It was great to see Mark (Kerr) was selected Young Player of the Year," said Gond happily.

Faramir, also extremely happy at the selection, replied, "Four Players on the Players of the Year team too- Thomas (Myhre), Tassos (Venetis) and Danny (Griffin) all got starting nods. Mark (Kerr) was selected as a reserve."

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">

Dundee United - Saturday 10th May 2003

2002/3 Senior Club Stats

No Name Apps Gls Con Pens Asts Yel Red MoM Av R

24 Barsom, Abgar 32 (10) 12 0 0 10 2 0 5 7.55

45 Boyce, Anthony 2 (2) 1 0 0 1 0 0 0 7.25

5 Buchan, Jamie 41 (1) 1 0 0 9 1 0 0 7.40

15 Butra 0 (30) 9 0 0 2 0 0 1 7.17

23 Combe, Alan 2 0 2 0 1 0 0 0 8.00

26 Davidson, Hugh 1 (1) 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 7.00

46 Duff, Stuart - - - - - - - - ----

12 Easton, Craig 6 (10) 2 0 0 1 0 0 0 7.25

37 Farnerud, Alexander 2 (2) 2 0 0 1 0 0 1 7.25

47 Fionda, Tony - - - - - - - - ----

17 Fullarton, Jamie 6 (13) 2 0 0 4 4 0 0 7.21

13 Gallacher, Paul 13 (4) 0 18 0 0 0 1 0 7.47

6 Griffin, Danny 38 1 0 0 1 4 0 1 7.66

11 Hannah, David 33 (2) 2 0 0 10 6 0 1 7.31

27 Iversen, Steffen 29 11 0 0 1 1 0 2 7.34

9 Keith, Marino 10 7 0 1 (1) 0 0 0 1 7.50

8 Kerr, Mark 41 12 0 0 9 0 0 5 7.68

34 Kuqi, Shefki 16 9 0 0 1 0 0 2 7.88

10 Lilley, Derek 2 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 7.50

19 McConalogue, Stephen - - - - - - - - ----

18 McCracken, David 12 (2) 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 7.14

2 McCunnie, Jamie 20 (2) 1 0 0 3 0 0 1 7.23

31 McDonald, Kevin - - - - - - - - ----

44 McDonald, Scott 14 (1) 3 0 0 1 0 0 0 7.60

30 Moore, Darren 31 0 0 0 1 7 0 2 7.87

3 Mørkøre, Allan 5 0 0 0 1 1 0 1 7.00

1 Myhre, Thomas 35 (1) 0 40 0 0 0 3 1 7.31

25 Nicholls, Mark 21 6 0 0 4 0 0 0 7.52

33 O'Connor, Sean 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 ----

28 O'Donnell, Stephen - - - - - - - - ----

14 Partridge, David 4 (8) 0 0 0 0 2 0 0 7.25

29 Reilly, Colin - - - - - - - - ----

21 Schembri (II), Angelo 3 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 7.33

43 Shine, John - - - - - - - - ----

7 Venetis, Tassos 39 (2) 17 0 4 (4) 9 3 0 7 7.68

20 West, Taribo 40 (1) 2 0 0 7 4 0 1 7.44

35 Winters, David - - - - - - - - ----

38 Youssef, Rabi 11 (5) 8 0 0 0 0 0 2 7.38

</pre>

Phase 1 Completed

Allye and Faramir met for lunch a few days later. A quiet, but brightly lit, corner resteraunt seemed to chase away the gloom and the shadows that both thought stalked them.

"I guess it doesn't seem that ridiculous after all," groused an unhappy Faramir.

"It was real! I don't really care what you believe it was- but it was real enough to take a slash at me. I don't need any more convincing, thank you!" said an insistent Allye.

"There is nothing more that I know though Allye. You are seeking answers I don't have. I don't disbelieve the reality of it- I am just lost at what to make of it."

"Well, take the facts for what they are. The old man told you that you were the nexus. He told you that you would be called on to make a journey, but not when that journey would start. I think you will see the old man again. Maybe even sometime soon. If you do, I want to be with you- I need my own answers!"

"I still am not about to promise you that you can come on whatever journey he is talking about. If it is dangerous, then you are staying put."

"The hell I am!" she exploded. "Listen Mr. 'Protect-the-damsel'- I don't know where you got ideas like that, but I can take care of myself. I have been for most of my life. If you think you are going to dictate to me..." She sat down suddenly, almost in shock.

Sensing something momentous had stopped her tirade, Faramir stared at her.

"I saw him."

"Who?"

"The old man."

"What??"

"He just walked by on the street. He seemed to glance at me and wink."

They both looked at each other and then stood up. Throwing some money on the table to cover their fare, they both hurried out into the lengthening shadows as the sunset glowed bright orange above the horizon.

"Which way?" asked Faramir.

"This one," said Allye determinedly as she started walking fast down the street.

After a short lighted interlude, they came again to the park. It's spaced lamps offered little pockets of bright light in the swelling gloom, but both were apprehensive about entering.

Finally Faramir said, "He must have come here- this has been the place I have seen him every time."

Sliding her telescoping baton into her hand she looked at him, "Let's go then."

They strolled for a ways into the deeper shadows of the park's centre. "That's it Allye," said Faramir in a soft voice. "Do you see it too?"

"The opening in the woods, yes I see it. Guess we have to chance going in?"

"Guess so."

They entered the small circular clearing, "Well met you two!" chuckled a soft, but firm voice.

The fire flared to life again, seemingly on its own, and the old man looked at them with amusement.

They both sputtered a moment, before the old man held up his hand. "Please be seated both of you. Now is the time for a few answers to both of your questions."

Both sat down quietly, but expectently as the old man continued to smoke his pipe. Finally, they could see he was settled enough to begin.

"First of all, you both must understand I am not real."

They both gawked at him, but before they could say anything he continued, "At least I am not real in the sense of realness in this world. You might equate me with a strong vision perhaps- or some type of manifestation, but I am not flesh and blood of this world."

He waved both of them to begin, "Let's dispense with your questions first."

"Why did you meet me here? Why did call me a nexus? What journey do you say I will have to take?" asked Faramir in a string of quick words.

Allye Owen sputtered her own set, "How did you reach me in a waking dream? Why did you have me meet this man? What were those things that attacked us?"

Chuckling quietly at the explosion of words, the old man leaned back. "Maybe that was not the best approach. I think I will tell you both a story and then we can see if you are more satisfied."

Piercingly, he stared at Faramir. "Listen closely boy, this has everything to do with everything you have been experiencing. Your 'shadow' needs to hear this as well- so he can relay this tale, so do not be alarmed if you feel company. I am calling him to you." With a wave of his hand, the old man gestured at Faramir and he suddenly felt as if someone was looking over his shoulder.

"Lady!"

Startled at his urgency, she immediately appeared to him, "What is wrong Lord?"

"Something- someone is calling me across the curtain. I feel compelled to go. I sense it will not harm me."

Quickly she replied, "Go Lord, follow the calling- perhaps it will provide some answers. I sense nothing fearful either watching or interfering with you- us."

Nodding he let himself fall into a dreamlike trance.

"There now, welcome fellow shadow traveller," softly said the old man to Faramir as he struggled to settle his mind. Suddenly, Faramir realized his eyes now serviced more than just himself- but the feeling was of an old friend visiting, so he managed to stay at peace with the realization.

Allye Owen stared wide-eyed at Faramir. Whispering she said, "I see him. Your shadow self is back."

"Nothing to fear dear girl. Now, we must not waste time. My presence here is a danger- but this story and the explanation are both necessary, so it must be risked."

"To both of you, this may seem a fairy tale- but take heed- it is all too real. I told you I am not real in this world- that is true- but I am real in the world of my time and place. The fact that I can present myself to you in this manner is a grave concern, because it leads me to believe an event may be coming that would fully breach the barriers between the world of my reality and yours- and that if this event comes to pass, then I fear the darkness that would pass over both our worlds."

"The beginning of this tale lies long ago even in my world's time. In the world of my reality, magic is real- and powerful. The consequences of magic being used for good, and evil, have shaped my world. They continue to shape my world. We are under the threat of a terrible dark storm rising and sweeping over the land. This darkness is evil incarnate and should this come to pass, all the goodness in our world would vanish for many lifetimes."

"As I said the beginning lies in the storied past. Once, during the heady peaceful times when the darkness was thought vanquished, there were wondorous things of magic. One of these wonders were powerful magic seeing balls- called palantirs."

Faramir was startled at the sudden swaying of his eyesight and vision. He cautiously said, "I have heard of these before- but they were only the inventions of a writer on our world. His name was J.R.R. Tolkein and he wrote a story known as "Lord of the Rings" about Middle Earth- a fantastic tale."

"The tale is not as fantastic as you might imagine," chuckled the old man. "His writings have bearing on the story, but I may not tell you much- we are already playing with fire here. The winds of destiny howl around us, so I must be cautious."

Allye spoke up, "What do these palantirs have to do with us? With our world?"

The old man turned and stared at her, "There, dear girl. You have hit upon the crux of the story. The palantirs were created to allow magical sight. In the last war against darkness in our world, something happened," he paused a moment, choosing his words carefully. "I believe that somehow, whether by accident or design, one of these stones was sent across the curtain between our worlds and came to your world. Because this stone is of our world, unless it is found- I fear it will continue to open the breaching between the worlds."

He paused a moment, "That is the reason I need your help. This is not something I can do- I am not of your world. You must seek what has become of this stone."

Faramir leaned, hunched over gazing into the fire, "I understand now why you need our help. But how can we accomplish this task? To be honest, I still don't understand the task..."

The old man grimly laughed, "Oh the task is easy enough boy. Find the stone. Once the stone is found, I will help you return it over the curtain- that we may fully close the developing gateway that the stone appears to be causing."

"How will we be able to do that?"

His bony finger pointed at Allye. "She will help find it."

"Me?" squeeked Allye.

"You can sense it dear girl. That is why I chose you. I will help you as much as I am able, but you must understand that my presence in your world is dangerous. If the dark forces of my world sense opportunity- they may well try to force a breach on their own, before we can close it off completely. So, this meeting will be something rare- I will need to communicate with you through a friend." He stared over Faramir's shoulder.

"Why me then?" asked Faramir.

"You were chosen because of a special affinity, somewhat a parallel to my world. This affinity eases the crossing of the curtain for your helper- or as the girl called it, your 'shadow'. I will need to use this unique affinity to assist you. Your 'shadow' is no mere pretender boy. He is a Prince of the world and a warrior. Not only that, but he understands both stealth and judgement. See how he even now is drinking in my words with nary a moment of any interruption."

"I need be brief, the effort to maintain myself here is draining me and I badly need this strength in the coming days. I can give you little clue as to the whereabouts of the stone in this world. The only information I can give you on it is that I believe it came to rest in this Kingdom on whatever this isle is. I also feel it must be somehow fractured or broken, because of the fragments of power I feel- instead of the fullness of it."

"Oh great!" Faramir exploded, "Not only do we have to seek this ball. It is broken in a million pieces! How are we supposed to find them?"

"Nay boy. The stone is likely only in a very few pieces. Remember the magic of it is weakened in your world, but it still would not be totatlly ineffectual. I believe it may be in 3 or 4 pieces. If this is the case, we must gather those pieces together. Once in the same location, I can meld them and we can safely bring it across."

Allye Owen spoke up, "Ok, you say I can sense it. Can you give me any idea what that feeling is like? So I know..."

The old man gestured and she could feel the jangling sensation of something raw upon her nerves. "That would be the feeling close to it. It might rather feel like a more pleasant tickle- an inviting feeling- at a distance. It is not natural to this world, so concentrate upon that."

"If she can sense it, why do you need me?" asked Faramir.

"I told you boy- so I can communicate with both of you. There is another reason, but I may not reveal it. I can tell you that you are essential to the quest's completion. You also have the kind of travelling occupation that should allow you both to wander in this search."

"Oh, that's comforting- I have been seeking job security and you suddenly have sentanced me to being a vagabond."

"Only until the completion of this quest."

"What if we don't believe you?" Faramir asked with the sarcasm heavy in his voice.

"Then your world is doomed," stated the old man rather simply.

Allye and Faramir looked at each other- then nodded in unspoken agreement.

"Good! Your search will be an epic journey- that I have seen as well."

"Do you see anything of my friend, my assistant manager Barry Gond?"

The old man nodded, "He will accompany you. I sense the strong bond of his friendship will be essential to the success of this journey."

Allye looked at the shadows a moment, "What were those things that attacked us here?"

The old man looked sharply at her, "Those provided the needed clue- a starting point for your search. They also helped me to understand the stone is almost certainly fractured. Those shadows were a defense- something of the stone that it must have developed once on this world to help ensure its safety. The first piece is somewhere close by..."

"I must leave now- battle calls all too soon. Be well you two, you will hear from my messenger soon." With that he swirled his large cloak and walked off, once again disappearing as soon as he stepped beyond the edge of the trees.

The regal lady seemed to be staring a hole through him as he came out of the trance.

"My Lady, we now have some of the answers to our questions."

Quietly, but urgently she said, "Tell me Lord."

"I know not your perception of the curtain, but the story I listened to said the curtain was thinning due to a palantir somehow being sent across the curtain to this other world. The time of this would have been sometime during the last war against the Dark Lord."

"3000 years and we never suspected," sighed Galadriel. "It makes sense in many ways. This cleansing haven was only discovered sometime around then, so it is likely that it is a byproduct of the ball's migration. I will seek to reach Elrond to see what he might make of this information."

"There is more Lady. The story was told by an old man, but he mentioned he is of our world and not theirs. He talked about the danger of his ethereal presence there, that it might awaken the dark storm to the opportunities. Because of that he stated that he needed a messenger to convey his thoughts. This messenger must be me."

"You Lord?"

"Yes. He talked to the person whose mind I apparently can reach as if I were a shadowed presence that would communicate and assist him."

She was silent for a short time, "It is always unnerving to discover one's course may have been manipulated, but if what you are telling me is true, then my choice to bring your mind must have fit another's plans."

It was his turn for a quiet rumination, "Could the choice of me involve having a tool at hand and knowing it might be used?"

She nodded slowly, "Yes, that could be the case. I felt no urging to take this course with you, but I can't deny that the thought of spiriting your mind for safekeeping in this place came unbidden to me. This isn't a place I would normally have considered, nor even a course of action I would have chosen. Yet, when the moment arrived, I seemed fated to intervene for your safety and this place was foremost in my thoughts. It could well be that both of those thoughts were provided to me, yet to do so would surely be from a wizard of no mean skill, as I am not without my own talents and defenses. Did this person mention why you must be the messenger?"

"Not directly. He mentioned that because of the danger he would need a messenger, because he himself would not be able to make his presence there in safety. I believe he was speaking almost directly to me. The person whose mind I can co-exist with has some natural affinity that allows me to reach him across the curtain. Oh, and the person that can see me or my presence in that world was also in attendance. She again stated she could see me or at least a shadowed presence."

"Did they discuss why you have the ability to make your presence felt across the curtain?"

"No, but it must involve the person who I can reach. Something allows us to link. The man and the lady are beginning the search for the palantir on their world, but the old man believed that the stone might be in several pieces. He wants them to gather them up and then he will assist them in returning the stone to our world to heal the breech."

"I am at a loss to know how that might be accomplished," she stated thoughtfully.

The quiet, stern voice shocked them with its intrusion, "There are ways, dear Lady."

Both relaxed when the countenance of Gandalf was made plain to them out of the shimmering clouds. Galadriel murmured, "I might have known it was you, the reassurances lightly touching me had an all too familiar appeal. I thought you lost though. According to your companions you were."

Gandalf winced, "The tale is long Lady Galadriel, and now is not the time for its telling. You are well, brave Faramir?"

"Yes. I believe I must be deeply in your debt at present."

Gandalf waved his hand in a gesture, "Neither here nor there. I realize you must wonder at your presence here- but I don't have time for a fuller explanation. The needs of Minas Tirith are great at present. Know that you are correct- I need you to act as a messenger. You also have another key place in future events, but that may not be revealed- only that you must act with boldness when the moment arrives. I have every confidence in you. As you both suspect, time between the worlds is not the same. A blink of an eye in our world is much time in theirs. Now, you must pass along that the first portion of the palantir might be close to water. I believe it had some special relationship with water in our world. Please pass that along. I dare not linger here either because the Dark Lord would likely sense my presence, but I will continue to message you as I am able. Be of good heart, the quest has not yet failed and we may yet win the day."

Allye looked at him, "He still didn't give me any clues to where to start- other than he thinks it is nearby."

Faramir looked blankly at her, then suddenly said, "Somewhere close to the sea. He believes this one has a natural relationship with water somehow." He shook himself slightly, "I guess the messenger service works Ok."

She was talking to Faramir quietly as they lounged on a concrete ledge outside a store, "It's frustrating. I feel that tickle, but I always seem to get colder instead of warmer in the feeling after I start searching for it."

"Remember it's magic. Maybe something about it changes that feeling."

She stared at her clenched hands, "Maybe you are right. Maybe I am going about this wrong."

"No Allye. I think you are doing the best you can, but remember to be open to new ideas and feelings in searching for something like this.

She nodded, "It can't hurt to try. The feeling the old man gave me that night stays with me as if it were a moment ago, so I think if I can get close it might be easier to find."

"Ask around too. Maybe there is some real world indication of it. Remember it is likely considered crystal or something similar to it.

Faramir paced, "Look Barry, I know the entire story sounds fantastic and absurd. But both Allye and I believe it and she is searching for the first piece right now."

Gond looked at him with amusement instead of disbelief, "Strange things always happened to you. Even when we were all younger. I just have one thing to say- I want to go with you." He hurridly continued before Faramir could speak, "The only time we were apart from the time we were young was when you went in the army. Look at how that turned out! Just promise me that I can come along, Ok?"

He was surprised to hear Faramir laughing, "I already asked the old man about you. He said he saw that the bonds of friendship would be important to the quest and that you would come along."

They both started laughing hard and then shook hands with the smile of easy friendship letting both know that the journey would be made in fellowship.

"Faramir!" The voice spoke directly to his mind.

"Yes?" he answered feeling slightly foolish to have done so out loud.

"You must reach them. Warn them. They must move to another location, some danger is coming that will theaten both of them unless they are away from their current location. Do it now!"

Faramir was walking back to his apartment. "Hear me! There is danger coming to you- to both of you- where you presently are. You must find a new location to continue the search."

He shook his head to relieve the feeling of sharing it and the echo of the words and quickly went to his apartment. Once inside he called Allye's cell phone. "Allye, a message." Following their agreed upon code he said, "Meet me at the crossroads."

"What do you think it means," asked Allye.

"It's plain enough I think. There is danger here, somewhere close to us in Dundee. We have to get out of here- move to someplace else while continuing the search."

She smiled, "That is easy enough for me, but what about you?"

He shrugged, "I applied for the open positions at Arbroath and Stranraer. With my reputation at Dundee United, I should be offered one of the positions."

"Won't they wonder why you are moving to a lower division?"

"Not once Sammy Gohl gets going with his poison pen they won't. As soon as I know where Barry and I are going, I will call you and mention a location that starts with either A or S. Head for the appropriate town."

Financial Impoprieties at Dundee United?

by Sammy Gohl

Rumors of financial shennanigans gained more credence yesterday. Apparently, the Board have forced out Manager Faramir and Assistant Manager Barry Gond over the 'unusual' books they have been keeping. Despite the rumors, it appears the pair may have been hired at a small, desperate club in Division 2.

The cell phone rang, "Yes?" she answered.

His familiar voice said, "I hear that Athens is a lovely place. We will be there soon."

Nodding understanding to herself she said, "See you there."

Just a note of explanation- I will be gone camping for the next week or so. Educated Hick has graciously agreed to keep up the daily posts on my stories while I am gone. Thanks again Educated icon_smile.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Apologies to all- that didn't work out too well because Educated never received the text files. In any case back from camping and the story continues...

2003- A New Place -- Arbroath

"Well Barry, what do you think at first look?" asked Faramir as they reviewed notes after running their first training session at Arbroath.

"Actually, I am encouraged- I am not sure how they managed to get themselves relegated, but they certainly do seem to have a bit of talent."

"I hope so, the Board expects us to gain promotion with them."

"It looks doable, if we can get some additional players. I think there is a solid core of talent on the club already."

"I was happy to sign on Mark Wilson right away after our old club (Dundee United) released him. He should be a good defender for us. What do you think of the keepers?"

"They aren't overly impressive, but as a group David Hay, Craig Wight and Alan Frame are not bad for Division 2 level. Are you going to keep looking?"

"Yes, hope that I can find a bargain veteran keeper possibly. Besides Mark Wilson, the backline has a bit of talent too- Kirk Willoughby, Steven Fallon, David McInally, John Fisher, Graeme Brown, Paul McAanenay and Andy Connolly. Unfortunately, we are going to lose Connolly in the next few days."

"Why is that?"

"Sheffield Wednesday offered a bid that met his minimum fee release."

Gond winced, "Well, such is the life of a small club. We seem to have very little midfield depth. There is some talent with Billy Macdonald, Amit Bose, John Elliott, Brian McColligan, John Cusick, Mark Bentley, David Arbuckle and Stuart Merron. Despite the bodies, there is not much depth."

Faramir nodded, "That's a problem area that I hope to fix quickly. We have a bit of transfer funds from Connolly's sale and the sale that just went through from last season on the French midfielder Leclerc. That should be enough to allow us some solid additions. I am going over our past scouting reports now."

"We seem to have the same problem at forward by the way- there are only Michael Moore, Kevin Steele, Kevin Heenan and Paul Brownlie on the club."

"One of those 4 wants out as well. Brownlie was related to the past manager and doesn't want to stay now that John Brownlie isn't here anymore. I am obliging him with a place on the transfer list."

"More additions there as well?"

"Hopefully, though we may have to settle for some free signings to bolster them- most of the forwards are pricier than midfielders."

"The first transfers have gone through," said an obviously pleased Faramir.

"Oh, and how are we doing so far," asked Gond.

"Very, very well. With Alex coming, at least one impact player and a good start as we now have midfield depth."

A Day of Signings at Arbroath.

Arbroath, splashing out some of the funds from the sale of promising young defender Andy Connolly, today announced several transfer signings. The biggest name in the signings is established midfielder Alex Burke, who was also the priciest addtion. Besides Burke, Arbroath landed Philip Creaney, Danny Spiller, Gary Shearer and Chris Jackson in a swath of signings designed to bolster the midfield.

Burke is a 25 yr old AMRL who starred at Clydebank for the past two seasons. His reported transfer price was 120K, by far the highest of all the signings. Jackson, a 29 yr old MC, skippered Stenhousemuir for the past two seasons after moving down from Hibs, and will be expected to provide veteran leadership on a young side. Shearer, a 23 yr old MC, was a teammate of Jackson's at Stenhousemuir, but saw no senior club playing time there. Spiller, a 21 yr old DMC, is expected to apprentice in support of Billy Macdonald and John Cusick in the defensive midfield role. Creaney, a 20 yr old AMC, joins Arbroath from Falkirk where he hadn't been able to break into the senior side.

"I feel a bit better now that we have at least some extra bodies at forward," mentioned Gond to Faramir after the news.

"Well, we may have one more- a bigger splash- tomorrow. Depends on the agent accepting the contract. But at least we do have a few more players with some talent. The bad news is despite the additions, we will now likely lose both Brownlie and Kevin Steele. Steele's agent called me to let me know that Kevin wants to move to a higher level side. Given that he is our highest rated player- I am inclined to let him move if someone will bid his minimum fee release."

More Signings at Arbroath

Arbroath continues to bring in new players to match with their new manager as three more signings were announced today. Signing on free transfer to come to Arbroath were 23 yr old Portugese DMC Francsico David Sousa, 19 yr old SC Trevor Clarke, 18 yr old SC Mark Pearson. Sousa, reportedly already being scouted by several Portugese sides after the signing, had played with the Real Madrid B side the past several seasons. Clarke and Pearson are both signings from the England scouting trip taken recently by Arbroath manager Faramir and several scouts.

Arbroath Brings Burchell

Arbroath today announced the transfer purchase of Kieren Burchell from Elgin City. Burchell was one of the top goal scorers in Scotland last season as he notched 20 goals and earned significant attention. The reported purchase price was somewhere around 50K. The 19 yr old SC is said to be already penciled into the starting lineup, which lends credence to the rumored departures of Kevin Steele and Paul Brownlie.

Arbroath Lands Laguardia

Arbroath announced another free transfer signing today as they signed Spaniard Luis Laguardia. Laguardia, a 26 yr old FC, had been with Real Union until released after last season. Reportedly the versatile Spaniard will help provide cover in both the midfield and forward positions.

More Arbroath Moves

In what has seemed to be a continuous flurry of player movement heralding the new regime at Arbroath, more transfer moves were announced yesterday. Arbroath sold midfielder Mark Bentley to Shrewsbury for the nominal sum of around 15K, but also completed the transfer purchases of Grant Munro and Ruben Hazell. Munro, a 20 yr old SC, was purchased from Hamilton at a reported cost of 40K and will likely pair up front with fellow youngster Kieren Burchell. Hazell, a 24 yr old DRLC, was purchased from Tranmere for around 65K and could start in any place on the Arbroath backline.

Malcolm Moves to Arbroath

In their continuing series of player moves, Arbroath announced the transfer purchase of 23 yr old DC Stuart Malcolm from St.Johnstone. Malcolm, who had seen little senior side time, was pleased to arrive with the prospect of more regular playing time. The reported purchase price was around 75K.

"I thought you were happy with our defenders?" asked Gond.

"I am, for the most part. That doesn't mean I won't grab off a promising youngster like Stuart, if I can get him cheaply enough."

Lavety Leaps to Arbroath

In what must be considered their 2nd major transfer signing, Arbroath continued to raid Clydebank as they purchased veteran forward Barry Lavety. The purchase of 28 yr old SC reportedly enriched Clydebank's coffers for over 100K and though they are now sufficiently well off in money, their two best players from last season- Alex Burke and Lavety are now both going to be in the starting lineup at Arbroath. With Kieren Burchell and Gareth Munro already in the mix, it is now certain that Kevin Steele will be moving to a new club at some point in the season.

Arbroath Grabs Griffiths

Arbroath completed the transfer purchase of promising leftback Thomas Paul Griffiths from Hednesford Town for a reported 18K. Griffiths, a 21 yr old DL known for his top rate pace, has been an exceptional player for his first two seasons and is expected to move into the Arbroath lineup. His arrival signals that established David McInally may well be on his way to a new club.

Raith Takes Cusick

Newly promoted Raith Rovers completed their transfer purchase of D/DMC John Cusick from Arbroath today. Cusick, who was thrilled at the prospect of playing in the SPL, jumped to Raith for a reported sale price of around 120K.

"Here is the senior squad to start the season Barry," said a tired Faramir.

"You are leaving me lots of talent on the reserve side," smiled Gond.

GK- Craig Wight, David Hay

Def- Thomas Paul Griffiths, Stuart Malcolm, Mark Wilson, Ruben Hazell, Paul McAnenay, Steven Fallon

Mid- Billy Macdonald, Francisco David Sousa, Danny Spiller, Chris Jackson, John Elliott, Alex Burke, Philip Creaney, Gary Shearer, Luis Laguardia, Amit Bose

For- Barry Lavety, Gareth Munro, Kieren Burchell, Michael Moore

Dumbarton (0) Arbroath (1) League Cup 1st round

Dumbarton- None

Arbroath- Gareth Munro 74

MOM- Stuart Malcolm, Arbroath

"Solid performance for our first real season trial," offered Barry Gond.

"It wasn't bad. We were hitting on most cylcinders- which I was happy to see. Our midfield played extremely well today, which was a great sign."

Forfar (0) Arbroath (3)

Forfar- None

Arbroath- Gareth Munro 65,75 Chris Jackson 86

MOM- Gareth Munro, Arbroath

"Three goals in two matches, I think we may have a sniper on our hands," smiled Gond.

"He certainly seems to have the finishing touch around the net. Our forwards look to be one of our strengths this season."

"Once Elliott gets a bit more comfortable in his role- we will have a lot of offensive weapons."

"About the only thing I am worried about at this point- is if we can get steady work from our keepers. If we get that, I think we can gain promotion without a fuss."

Archived