The Curious Incident of the Dog......oh Wait Thats Been Taken.....

Peacemaker7

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

During the season I had taken a bit of a gamble on my career, when I turned down what would surely have been a lucrative move to Hearts. It just didn't seem the right time, or the right club to move. During the summer, the Forfar Athletic board also took a bit of a gamble. They decided to spend £5M on rebuilding Station Park. Apart from the expense, which left us over £1.5M in debt at that point, the re-building process - which wouldn't be complete until March 2011 - meant we would have to play elsewhere. The board decided to use the park of local junior club, Forfar Albion. Guthrie Park had a safety certificate for only 2500 people and no seating area. It was certainly going to be an eye-opener for whoever we drew in our first ever season in European Competition and would lose us money based on the fact we could only attract halof the crowds we were now used to.

The debt may have seemed large, yet the board still allocated me £1.5M to spend on new players. Mind you, from player sales I managed to raise £1.5M and we also had the £875,000 from the TV to come in, annoyingly £125k less than last season. Plus we struck a new sponsorship deal worth just over £200k a year. Finances were going to be the least of our worries.

Mind you, the bulk of the money I'd brought in was from the sale of star striker Stephen Dobbie to Dundee United for a cool one million pounds. The supporters were far from happy to lose their hero, but his sale was inevitable. Also on the way out were Steven Evans to QPR for £250,000 and Manuel Serrano to Hibs for £100k. I had wanted to bring in fresh players, especially in defence, and indeed in our opening friendly with Portsmouth, there were NINE changes to our normal starting line up.

With money to spend, I spent it - £1.3M in all as I risked the clubs financial future on my ability to judge good players. Stanley Aborah (£400k) and Robert Davidson (£325k) were our biggest signings and it would be interesting to see how the team shaped up once I got together all the new players I wanted. I pre season, as well as Portsmouth whom we beat 2-0, Everton to whom we lost 2-1 and Hartlepool with whom we drew 1-1, we also played Sparta Prague. A 1-1 draw was a decent enough result, but the irony became clear when the UEFA Cup 1st round paired us with Sparta's rivals Slavia. A tough, but highly winnable tie.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Pjotr Houtman:

Great story, shame about the sh*te league tho. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Considering most of the important people on here are Scots (Including one of the mods) I'd watch what I say if I were you. If that is your real name.

Thanks rukus icon_smile.gif

There was probably as much an air of frustration amongst the Forfar support, as there was excitment about the new season ahead. Especially for those who would miss out on our home games. There was little we could do about that though. If we wanted to stay in the SPL, we needed a better stadium, and sacrifices had to be made somewhere along the line.

The whole team had a different look to it, and it would take the fans a bit of time to get used to that as well. But new heroes would be born, they always are in football.

Scott Murray (22) hadn't played too badly in goal last season. It was hard to judge whether the sixty goals he conceded in his 42 matches were a result of poor keeping, or a poor defence. The truth was probably somewhere in between. With the move of back up keeper Callum Reidford to St Mirren for no fee, we needed someone else to come in and in 22 year old Spaniard Ignacio Martinez I believed we had found someone who was a whole lot better than Reidford and could even push for the starting berth. £110,000 was enough to tempt Middlesbrough to part with the U-21 capped player.

At right back, Stephen Purches (30) had a decent enough season, but this season 19 year old Gary MacDonald, who gets a place in the squad due to the U-21 rule, will be pushing Purches and will probably start the season. MacDonald is a product of the Forfar youth system, and is probably on a similiar skill level to Purches, perhaps a little bit better and of course has time on his side. On the left side, Kieran McAnespie has also turned 30. Again, an adequate season, but new signing Gregor Robertson (26) comes in from Shamrock for £16,000 and is likely to be first choice.

The departures of Steve Evans, Graeme Watson, Ryan McGuffie and Dean Keenan have left the central of the defence looking short of competition. Eddie Forest (31) remains, and will be partnered by new signing, 22 year old Clayton McDonald who cost £150,000 from Manchester City. Deals for other players broke down, and that leaves the only other centre backs as 19 year old rookie Steven Campbell and Cypriot international Giorgios Pelagias (25) a £100,000 signing from Olympiakos Nicosia.

I felt Michael Bacher (22), didnt have the best of seasons in the holding role and there is a chance he will play further forward this season. Another new face, 26 year old German Chris Krause who arrives from Nottingham Forest for £20,000. Whilst Danny Boshell (29), Mike Flynn (29), and Steven Lennon (22) all remain at the club, they are likely to play a less involved role thanks to the arrivals of Belgian Stanely Aborah (23) from Ajax for a club record £400,000 and another German in 26 year old Eugen Bopp from Nottingham Forest for a fee of £130,000. Seventeen year old John Burns, another youth product, made his 1st team debut last season making three sub appearances and scoring a goal. Thanks to the U-21 rule he likely to get some more games this season, and for sure a place on the bench.

Up front, the departure of Stephen Dobbie has left a gaping hole. Colin Boylan (27) managed 17 goals in 44 starts last season, and although that is decent it's far from brilliant. Former Forfar player Paul Shields, now 28, returns to the club on a free transfer from Hibs. Also in are Mark Burchill (30) from Dundee on a free, and Robert Davidson (24) from Rangers for £325,000. Gary Wales (31) also remains at the club. Yet despite a healthy competition for places, it remained to be seen where the goals would come from.

Our opening matches certainly showed that the defence was much stronger - but we lacked a cutting edge. A 1-0 opening defeat at Dunfermline wasn't the start we wanted but a 2-0 win over Hearts at Tynecastle, Colin Boylan with a brace, and a 2-0 win over Aberdeen at Guthrie, Davidson and Bopp and on the scoresheet at least showed we definately had tightened it up. Two 1-1 draws, with Motherwell and Dundee left us lying midtable as we prepared to welcome Slavia Prague to Forfar for our first ever competitive match in European competition.

Thanks binny. Not sure if we can overhaul the OF. This is quite an interesting game cos I think its about the longest I've ever gone without winning anything, and its the first time I've had a case of moving out of the ground thing. of course irl, it simply wouldn't be allowed, but then rl sucks.

The match with Slavia turned out to be as hard fought and difficult as we expected. We survived a few early scares as nerves were abundant, but when we got chances of our own we just couldn't take them and in the end it was goalless. Not a disaster by any means. Before the second leg, Rangers came to Guthrie Park and won all too easily by 2-0. Consistancy seems to something we have no idea about at the moment as we went to Easter Road where goals from Gary Wales and Stanley Aborah gave us a moral boosting win before we headed off to Prague.

Not having conceded a home goal gave us a decent chance, but by half time to game was still goalless. Two minutes into the second half though, Stanley Aborah stunned the tiny home crowd of just over 3000 and now Slavia needed to score twice. Three minutes later they were level, but on 64 Robert Davidson added a second and the Czech's gave up. It was a great away win, and earned us just over £500,000. The group draw was harsh, as we found ourselves in with Sampdoria, Schalke, Auxerre and Nacional de Madeira. There seemed very little chance that we could end anything but bottom of this group, and in the end thats the way it worked out.

The trip to France proved too much for us as we succumbed 2-0 to Auxerre, and then went down bravely by 1-0 at home Sampdoria. We were effectively out already as we travelled to Germany and gained a creditable 0-0 draw. Hopes were high that we could end the group with a win against Maderia, and finish in 4th place but after just half an hour we were 2-0 down and in danger of a thrashing. A second half brace from Paul Shields though earned us another draw, and although we did end 5th we certainly hadn't humiliated ourselves.

Back in the League, things were going not so well. There was little rythym or consistency to our play, and by the time the New Year cam we say 5th in the table, a long way out of any title race. Perhaps it was playing our home games at a strange park, or perhaps the new players were just rubbish. January would hopefully bring in new faces, and we might get lucky and keep ourselves in what would still be a quite decent top six placing.

As March approached, it was becoming clear that there were serious problems with the re-building of Station Park, so much so that the board had to admit that there was no chance we could return there in the near the future and we would have to stay at Guthrie*. £5M had been flushed down the toilet, and a lot of people, including myself, were very unhappy.

We crashed out of the Scottish Cup at the 4th round stage to Rangers, and although we were riding high still in 4th place, the fiasco over the ground had left me feeling very annoyed, and so on the 22nd of April when Hearts came calling for the second time, I decided it was probably an opportune time to say farewell to Forfar. I hoped I had left behind a decent legacy for the fans, and that they would eventually gain the success they richly deserved.

I took over Hearts with six matches left to play, as they say 2nd bottom of the SPL. It was a long way from the European hunt with Forfar, but I was already relishing the challenge.

One thing was very clear about this Hearts side - they were garbage.

Sitting as they were in 11th place out of 12 in the SPL might well have given that away, but it wasn't until you actually saw the players trying to play the game that you realised just how utterly abysmal this team actually was. Fortunately, most of their contracts were up at the end of the season or they had little time to run and could freed for a small fee. There were even those teams who were worse than Hearts who actually wanted to buy some of our players. You had to feel really sorry for the supporters of those clubs.

With Dunfermline far enough adrift, we weren't really in any danger of being relegated. Which was just as well really. A 2-0 loss at Falkirk game me the idea of how much work needed to be done here, but draws with Hibs and then Falkirk again perhaps gave a small false sense of security, before it all came crumbling down in a 5-2 thrashing at Tannadice. The last two matches were defeats to Aberdeen and then finally relegated Dunfermline. A bloody shambles.

There was just over £3M to spend, and it would all be spent in the summer. Only Peter Ferris, whom I'd had at Forfar, and six other players would remain at the club, and only Peter and left back Darren Thompson would be in my ideal starting eleven. It was going to be a busy summer at Tynecastle.

Scottish Premier League 2010-2011

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">

| Pos | Inf | Team | | Pld | Won | Drn | Lst | For | Ag | G.D. | Pts |

| ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

| 1st | C | Celtic | | 38 | 23 | 12 | 3 | 62 | 26 | +36 | 81 |

| ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

| 2nd | | Rangers | | 38 | 17 | 16 | 5 | 62 | 28 | +34 | 67 |

| 3rd | | Motherwell | | 38 | 16 | 14 | 8 | 60 | 44 | +16 | 62 |

| 4th | | Forfar | | 38 | 18 | 6 | 14 | 48 | 39 | +9 | 60 |

| 5th | | Gretna | | 38 | 10 | 15 | 13 | 39 | 46 | -7 | 45 |

| 6th | | Dundee | | 38 | 10 | 13 | 15 | 40 | 50 | -10 | 43 |

| 7th | | Dundee Utd | | 38 | 15 | 6 | 17 | 51 | 52 | -1 | 51 |

| 8th | | Aberdeen | | 38 | 13 | 10 | 15 | 47 | 51 | -4 | 49 |

| 9th | | Falkirk | | 38 | 11 | 14 | 13 | 38 | 45 | -7 | 47 |

| 10th | | Hibs | | 38 | 9 | 13 | 16 | 30 | 46 | -16 | 40 |

| 11th | | Hearts | | 38 | 9 | 10 | 19 | 45 | 66 | -21 | 37 |

| 12th | R | Dunfermline | | 38 | 6 | 13 | 19 | 39 | 68 | -29 | 31 |

| | | | | | | | | | | | |

</pre>

The goalkeepers Hearts had when I arrived were both rubbish, so Kevin Stuhr-Elleggard was freed and Alan Marriot I conned Sunderland into buying for £12,000. Wolves bought Mark & David Paterson for a combined fee of £114,000 and Dundee United bought Dariusz Dudka for £45,000. I had never heard of any of these players, even though I had been managing in the same division and my team had played against them. Thats how crap they were. Six other players, who were even crapper, were given free transfers.

Of the sixteen new faces to arrive at Tynecastle in the summer of 2011, six came directly from Forfar, and one had previously played for them. It is after all, better the devil's you know.

Goalkeeper Ignacio Martinez (23) was unwanted by new Forfar manager Billy Davies and so I snapped him up for £210,000. As back ups, in came Rangers reject Allan McGregor, now 29, from Israeli club Maccabi Tel Aviv, where he'd just had a dreadful season. Twenty year old Scotland U-21 keeper Mark Graham arrived from Dundee United for £100,000.

Twenty two year old French right back Sicot Cedric impressed me enough to bring him to Forfar, and was one of the first players I targeted after my move to Tynecastle. £350,000 was enough to secure his signature and he will be backed up by 21 year old Lithuanian Vytas Vytautas, one of the few players already at the club whom I decided to keep. Darren Thompson (28), was another I've kept, and his deputy is 26 year old Cypriot international Giorgos Pelagias from, of course, Forfar at the cost of £100,000. Giorgos can also play as a centre back.

At centre back, in comes another player whom I'd only recently taken to Forfar, 24 year old Spaniard Jesus Collado. Jesus comes in at a cost of £100,000. Burkina Faso legend Lamine Traore (28) will partner Jesus at the back after arriving from Peterborough in a £550,000 deal. Dean Keenan (25), comes in from Partick - to whom I sold him from Forfar - for £12,000 and 26 year old Bulgarian international Adrian Olegov, who arrived on a free after being released by CSKA Sofia, are the back ups at the back.

As you know by now - or damn well should do if you've been reading as you said you said you had - I like to play a player sitting in front of the defence and that role will be taken this season by 24 year old Pole Lukasz Mozes, a £300,000 signing from Amica. Jiri Bilek, 27 year old Czech from Blasny at £250,000 is the back up and could well challenge for a regular start, I haven't decided yet.

In the middle of the midfield, in comes a player who refused to come to Forfar for me, former Rangers starlet Charlie Adam, now 25. After all, its the Hearts way to sign Rangers rejects and I felt the need to keep up that tradition. Adam cost £300,000 from Luton and will be partnered by a player from the other side of the Glasgow fence, former Celtic and of course Forfar player, David Burke (25) who cost me half of one million pound coins. Thirty one year old Bolivian Ronald Gutierrez and 29 year old Fergus Tiernan were both at the club when I arrived and have been deemed good enough to stay. For now.

Another player deemed good enough to stay, and who will play behind the strikers, is former Forfar player Peter Ferris (22), whom Hearts signed from Dundee last season for three quarters of a million pound notes. Peter has fulfilled his early potential by breaking into the Welsh national side and now has 10 full caps. Hungarian international Daniel Tozser (26), comes in from Ferencvaros on a free transfer.

Up front, another player I failed to lure to Forfar suddenly seems happy enough when its Hearts who are calling. Former Liverpool striker Neil Mellor (28), signs on a free transfer and he should be partnered up front by promising Forfar youth product John Burns who is still just eighteen. Billy Davies didn't seem to rate John and allowed me to have him for £100,000 but I'm hopeful that the striker can fulfil the potential I believe he has - even if he did only manage 7 goals in 32 games last season. Former Raith Rovers player Craig O'Reilly (23), is yet another bastard who thought he was too good for Forfar, but is happy to sign on for Hearts. Mark McCusker (21) and Gary Moffat (19) are the last remaining remnants from last seasons Hearts side and are allowed to stay - as long as they make the tea.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Mark McCusker (21) and Gary Moffat (19) are the last remaining remnants from last seasons Hearts side and are allowed to stay - as long as they make the tea. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

"...excuse me Mark, Gary.....Bring that tea trolley over here will you lads.....Cheers....White with 2 sugars thanks....oh and pass me a couple of those Jaffa Cakes."

icon14.gif

The end of last season probably hadn't instilled a lot of confidence in the Hearts support as regards the abilities of their new manager. Their wait to see how the new faces would fit in would have to wait a bit longer - all three of our pre season games took place away from Tynecastle. Narrow wins over Partick, Brighton and Bristol City did little to raise expectations, and ten minutes into the opening league match at home to Gretna, there were no doubt a portion of the home supporters who were wishing I would GTF. Neil Mellor and Craig O'Reilly though seemed to have set us up with a win, but in injury time Gretna snatched a point. Bastards.

With our next match at Ibrox, few were expecting anything there, and they weren't to be dissapointed as we went down by 2-0. There was still little to be excited about as a Hearts fan, even when Ferris and Mellor gave us a decent 2-0 home win over Dundee United. A 5-1 gubbing of newly promoted Clyde and then a competant 3-0 destruction of Falkirk set us up nicely for the first Edinburgh derby if the season, at Easter Road. Rather stupidly, the Hearts fans seemed to have gained an air of confidence, but in a dour game a 26th minute McManus goal gave the Hibbees the win.

There were signs though that the new players were starting to fit in, and Peter Ferris was revelling in the role I had given him. A brace from the Welshman gave us all three points at Dens Park, and then scored the only goal of the game at Rugby Park in the League Cup, and suddenly Hearts were right up there challenging. The tune had changed as the doubters became believers once more. The Forfar came to Tynecastle.

Forfar had started the season badly, as predicted by a certain journalist from Ayr. An opening day win over Clyde had been their only success, and even their UEFA Cup sojourn was over as they crashed out to Polish side Wisla. The stage was set for them to come to Tynecastle and upset my new team. But they didn't. Three goals in the first half hour from Ferris, Burns and Mellor secured an easy win, and it was all too obvious that Billy Davis didn't have a clue what he was doing.

That wasn't my problem though, as next up we had struggling Champions Celtic, who lay down in 7th place. I still hadn't experienced victory against either Old Firm side in my managerial career, but that was about to dramatically change. It took an own goal from former Hearts player Neil Janczyk to give us the lead on the hour, before Craig O'Reilly wrapped up the win three minutes from time. I had broken my Old Firm duck, and we moved to the top of the table, suddenly people were talking about Hearts as title challengers.

Wins over Motherwell and Aberdeen, by 4-0 and 2-0 respectively, saw us go six games without conceding and with having played everyone once, we now sat proudly atop the SP a point clear of Dundee United, with Rangers and Celtic in 3rd and 5th place. Poor Forfar lay 11th, and already their fans were starting to turn on Billy Davis.

This though wasn't going to be a runaway title triumph for the Hearts. Or indeed for anyone. A defeat at Tannadice ended our winning streak, and indeed seemed to severely dent our confidence as we went on to lose at home to Clyde, and it would be another five games before we would finally win in the league again. A 2-1 home defeat from a Hibs side who wouldn't even finish in the top six was particularly galling. Indeed, two draws at Easter Road meant I was still waiting for my first derby win.

Three games in eleven days in March against Celtic, would go a long way to shaping our season. A 1-0 loss at Celtic Park in the Scottish Cup Quarter Final ended our interest in that competition, and then at Hampden Park we battled out a goalless draw in the League Cup Final, only to lose out on a dreadful penalty shoot out. Another 0-0 draw in the League at Tynecastle was uninspiring, but at least kept both sides title aspirations alive.

Indeed, the title race was turning into something of an electrifying experience as, come the ludicrous split, all of the top six teams were in with a shout of winning, only 10 points seperating 1st from 6th. The reality though was that sixth placed Dundee were probably just too far out of the running. Nevertheless, with Dundee United leading the way on 62 points, Celtic on 60, ourselves on 59, Aberdeen on 57 and Rangers on 56 it was shaping up for perhaps the greatest title race ever seen. As long as we won.

With two home matches, followed by three away, our quest for the title was going to be a tough one. We would start at home to Celtic, then Dundee United and be away to Rangers, Aberdeen and finally in the match that could win us the title – Dundee. Erm I seem to remember that scenario. Whilst we would be attempting to keep ourselves in the title race with a win over Celtic, Rangers would be hosting Aberdeen and the Dundee derby would be at Dens Park. It promised to be a hugely exciting afternoon of football.

With the relegation issue already decided – Clyde having totally failed to make any impact, and so saving Billy Davies neck at Forfar, all the focus was, as it should be, on the Championship race. There were still the minor issues like, who would win the First Division, but those were ignored for now. There was one issue of note in the First Division though, as Ayrshire rivals Kilmarnock and Ayr United for once joined forces and came out in sympathy for each other – both were relegated to the Second Division. There was something ironically funny about that.

As the Celtic game came round, we had no injury or suspension worries, and so it was my strongest eleven that took the field. January signing Glenn Morris (28), had come in from Hull at a cost of £925k. The keeper had been a key part in our recovery over the past few months, and had helped keep us in the title race. Vytas Vytautus had taken over from Sicot Cedric at right back when the Frenchman had gotten injured, and had played so well that he couldn't be dropped again. At Left back, Darren Thomson has had a quiet but effective season and in the middle Jesus Collado returns from suspension to captain the side and is partnered by Lamine Traore. The midfield quartet of Lukasz Mozes, David Burke, Charlie Adam and Daniel Tozser have done very well for us recently, Tozser finally getting a chance of a run in the team after the January sale of Peter Ferris to Rangers. Up front has been a struggle at times, as none of the strikers have been outstanding – even if we are the top scorers in the SPL. Craig O'Reilly with 10 goals from 33 matches and Neil Mellor with 13 from 28 appear to be our most effective partnership.

On the bench is rookie keeper Mark Graham, defenders Gutierrez and Olegov, young teenage midfielder Gary Sim who forced his way into first team reckoning even though he was only 16. Having just turned 17, Gary has signed a three year professional contract and is a player who looks to have a great future in the game. Gary Moffat and the so far dissapointing John Burns complete the make up on the bench. Clearly, there will be a lot of excitement around the ground, with both sets of fans also keeping an ear on the scores at the other two games that matter.

With just six minutes gone, Dundee United's hopes took a dent at Dens Park, and four minutes later Rangers were ahead at Ibrox. That lead though didn't last long as Aberdeen fought back, their own title aspirations needing to be kept alive. No sooner had Aberdeen pulled level at Ibrox, than Dundee went 2-0 up, and suddenly Tynecastle erupted as David Burke sent us into the lead. As blood pressures rose across the country, Daniel Tozser sent us 2-0 ahead after 21 minutes, and it seemed we had finally cured our scoring problems against the Celtic. A couple of minutes later United pulled a goal back at Dens, and Pearson gave battling Celtic a lifeline. All our good work was undone four minutes from halftime, when when we allowed Celtic to pull level, and as the half time whistles blew around the country, the title race was getting that bit tighter.

Charlie Adam had picked up a bit of a knock, and so I decided to replace him with John Burns. Perhaps the occasion would help him finally deliver the promise he had so far failed to fulfill. Just seconds after the restart, news came through that Dundee United had copied Celtic in pulling back a two goal deficit, but that news was quickly forgotten as Burns delivered a spectacular goal on 51 minutes to restore our lead, and a few minutes later, as news came through that Rangers were back in front at Ibrox via an own goal, Burns set up Craig O'Reilly and we were back in command of this match once more. The thrilling title race shifted once more, as on 68 minutes Dundee United took the lead at Dens, and if it stayed that way then Dundee's slim hopes would surely be finally buried.

On 77 minutes, Kris Boyd surely wrapped up the points for Rangers, and just seconds later, Celtic broke through our defence to make it 4-3 now, and once more it was nail biting time for the Tynecastle faithful. This was turning into an incredible game and from the restart we raced up the field and won a corner. David Burke floated it in, and it was Daniel Tozser who placed a fine shot behind the helpless Celtic keeper, and after a series of games between these clubs that had produced very few goals, now we had eight and there was still twelve or so minutes left to play. That goal though finally seemed to break Celtic resistance, and we managed to control what was left of play, and hold on for an excellent win. With Dundee United and Rangers both winning, Dundee were now officially out of the race, being 13 points behind with four to play. United were of course still top on 65 points, then ourselves on 62, Celtic on 60 Rangers with 59 and Aberdeen trying desperately to maintain an interest with 57. Four matches to go, and if the drama got anymore intense, it would be a wonder if anyone survived.

With Adam's injury not being serious, it was therefore the same eleven players who took to the field for the vital match with Dundee United. This was our last home match of the season, and it was one we simply had to win. The luck of the draw meant this would be our third league match of the season against United at Tynecastle. Considering we had won our two previous league games here against them, and had lost at Tannadice, that could well be a huge factor when the trophy was handed out. Of course, we couldn't win the title today, but we could certainly lose it. If we lost this match, we would be six points adrift with three tough away matches to come, and it would be quite some feat to pull that back.

Rangers would be at Dens Park, whilst Aberdeen traveled to Celtic Park knowing that anything less than a win would be the end of their challenge. Two early Lovenkrands goals settled the Rangers nerves, and on 17 minutes Danny Invincible stunned Celtic as he sent Aberdeen into what would be a half time lead. At Tynecastle though, nerves were clear as both sides made and failed to take chances. There was a lot at stake, and showed. Thirty six minutes gone, and a through ball from Mozes sent Tozser clear and the Hungarian easily slotted home his 10th goal of the season to give us the half time lead, and to lift us to the top of the table on goal difference. There was no need for anything to change and so it was the same side who went back out after the break.

The second half was only three minutes old, when disaster struck as Lee Wilkie sent United level again. As time wore on, two late goals gave Celtic the win they needed over Aberdeen and Rangers ran out comfortable 4-2 winners at Dens Park. The drama at Tynecastle though wasn't over yet. With time running out, and a stalemate on the cards, I decided to send on Burns for Adam and Cedric for Vytautas. A draw of course wouldn't be a disaster, but we really needed to win I felt. With time running out though, the match entering the final minute of normal time, a draw looked like it was what we would have to settle for. The referee had other ideas. As United pressed forward, trying to find the goal that would certainly destroy our title dream, the referee – a Gordon McDonald – decided to help them out. As Traore jumped in the area with Stephen Dobbie, the McDonald decided to see something that no-one else had, and pointed to the spot. Up stepped former Forfar player Dobbie, blasted the ball past Morris, and everything we had worked for all season had fallen apart.

In football, and probably quite rightly, its the goals that we always remember that make the results that decide who wins the prizes. After all, without goals, there would be no winners. Yet its not always the actual goals that are scored that decide results, quite often it's that crucial save made by the keeper, impossibly diving to his right and saving the day. But all that is forgotten in the heat of victory – or defeat. As we went to Ibrox, we knew that we simply had to win. Other results would have little meaning if we came away empty handed. Of course Rangers had to win as well, and with home advantage would not be giving up anything easily. At Tannadice, something had to give, as United took on Celtic. Ideally, we would prefer a Celtic win, even though that would keep them above us – should we win of course. And in the end, a Celtic win was what we got, as the title race took another little twist, Roy Aitken's side coming off 2-1 winners. Now it was United's turn to feel the pain of a title, possibly, thrown away. Except they at least had the advantage of still being top.

We fielded once more an unchanged line up. It wasn't lack of effort, or any players fault, that we had lost to United and I felt the players who had gotten us this far deserved the chance to see the season through if possible. Half an hour into the game, Neil Mellor stunned the Ibrox crowd as he sent us ahead, a lead we took into the break. We had played well, and didn't look like losing. Football though is a funny old game, that can change in an instant, and I felt we really needed that second goal to make ourselves that bit more comfortable. Sure enough, with six minutes of the second half gone, Craig O'Reilly sent us two up, a lead we were to hold onto and with the result at Tannadice going our way, the title race was back on again.

With two matches left to play, Dundee United still of course led the SPL with 68 points. Celtic were second on 66 and we were 3rd with 65. Rangers were now effectively out of the race, sitting back on 62 points. The penultimate matches in this incredible season would see us travel to Pittodrie, whilst Celtic would be at home to Dundee, Dundee United at home to Rangers. It meant of course, that on the final week of the season, the Old Firm would clash. Yet that was irrelevant at the moment, all that matter was the here and now. I decided to change the line up a little, bringing in young Gary Sim in place if the slightly tired Charlie Adam. The match was to turn into a long slog, with neither side looking much like scoring. I felt though that we were the better side, and with news coming through from Tannadice that Rangers wer horsing United, we needed a goal. And as time wore out, one of tose heart stopping moments, as Aberdeen were through on goal, only the keeper Morris standing in their way. Yet as it seemed certain that ball was destined for the back of the net, Morris performed miraculous acrobatics, tipping the ball round the post and we could breath for a few more moments at least.

And as luck would have it in those sorts of occasions, just seconds later, with less than four minutes remaining on the clock, Neil Mellor provided the goal we needed as we finally broke down a stubborn Aberdeen defence and as Dundee United went down by 3-1, and Celtic could only manage a goalless draw, we had moved back to the top of the SPL on goal difference from the Tannadice side, with Celtic a point back. People would remember that Mellor goal as being what dragged us back into the title race, but the reality was the save from Morris was equally, if indeed not more so, important. But how many times woyld they replay that on match of the day?

We only had to go to Dens Park and win, and the title was ours. Unless United won by fourteen goals more then we did...... well you never know.

The interesting thing about the last day matches was that now, if things went their way, Rangers could still actually win the title. It would take a big win for them at Ibrox and big defeat for us at Dens, with of course defeat for Dundee United, but it could still happen. And the way this season had gone so far, you would be foolish to write anything off. With our 69 points, we had a goal difference of +31, Dundee United had a goal difference of +18. Celtic, a point behind, and a goal difference of +24, with Rangers on 66 points and a goal difference of +25. Nothing, but nothing, was impossible and we were taking absolutely nothing for granted.

Charlie Adam was restored to the starting line up, with Gary Sim dropping to the bench, and that was our only change from the side that had beaten Aberdeen. In 1986, Hearts had gone to Dens Park needing a draw to win the title, and on that day had gone down 2-0. Today, fate couldn't be so cruel, lightening couldn't strike twice. Or any other cliché you can think of. None of that would matter once the matches kicked off.

Four sets of supporters went to their respective matches, all hoping and dreaming that by the final whistle, their teams would be crowned as Champions of Scotland for 2012. At Pittodrie, neither side would score in the first half, leaving the visitors tense and nervously waiting for news from the other grounds, which wasn't long in coming. Fifteen minutes into the matches at Ibrox and Dens Park, the title race took another twist as the home sides both took the lead at the same moment. It was gut wrenching for us, as we desperately tried not to throw this away yet again. Dundee, even though they had nothing much to play for, were not about to lie down and it would take all our skill and belief to come throught this. As news filtered through from Ibrox that Celtic were level three minutes from half time, we just had to keep plugging away and hope that our pressure would pay off. Seconds from half time, it finally did as O'Reilly powered home the equalizer and with all three matches level at the half way point, we were just 45 minutes away from glory.

We had played well enough in the first half, and I was reluctant to change the team at this crucial point. Fifty four seconds into the second half my loyaly was repaid as this time O'Reilly was the provider, Daniel Tozser the hero as we put ourselves firmly in the driving seat. Yet the season had not come this far without so many twists and turns of fortune, and it was not about to end without at least one more. With fifty one minutes gone, right back Vytautus picked up a second yellow and we were down to 10 men. Cedric was sent on to secure the defence, with Neil Mellor having to come off. It was going to be backs to wall for the final 40 minutes or so.

With our ten men tiring at the end of hard season, so Dundee were gaining chances – too many chances and with 65 minutes gone, the inevitable happened as they pulled the match level, McGlinchey firing home after a corner. I sent on Gary Sim and John Burns for O'Reilly and Burke, the final throw of the dice on a day in which fate was enjoying herself way too much. There was little more I could do except hope and pray that we could hold out – and that other scores would stay our way, as they still were, unchanged since half time. Yet fate was not through yet with its twist and turns and cruelty, and with fourteen minutes left of the season, David Scott plunged a knife deep into the hearts of our support as he sent Dundee ahead, and the title once more out of our grasp.

With ten men, tiring and fearing the worst, with no news coming through from other grounds, which surely meant no more goals, we simply had to find one final twist. One final turn of events in our favour, and we could uncork the champagne. With time running out, John Burns, whose promise he still seems to keep on ice, finally grew up as he took the ball past the Dundee defence, and the match once more was level at 3-3. As the referee played four minutes of nail biting, heart stopping injury time, he eventually decided enough was enough and brought the 2012 season to a final and dramatic end. We had come here needing a win, and now we were left waiting to see what the dying seconds at Ibrox and Pittodrie had produced to see if we were Champions, or if indeed we were once again going to be left with nothing from a season in which we had given so much, and deserved so much more.

The summer of 2012 saw the Finals of the European Championships in Serbia & Montenegro. Of course this in itself wasn't particulary remarkable, given that the Championships are held every four years. However given that Scotland, under the leadership of Graeme Souness, had qualified, there was a fair bit of interest in the country, intensified by the dramatic domestic season that had just concluded with Hibs lifting the Scottish Cup for the first time since 1902 after a 1-0 win over Raith Rovers.

From a personal point of view, it was pleasing to see my country do rather well at the Championships, even if there were no Hearts players involved. Yet although wins over Holland and Sweden and a draw with Spain were enough to see Scotland through to a Quarter Final with Russia, my excitement was at this point purely personal. I had no idea that after losing out 2-0 to Italy in the Semis - Russia having been seen off by 4-2 - Souness would decide to call it a day as Scotland boss, and when the new boss was announced, there I was sitting beside the SFA President. And not because I fancied him either.

There were of course those in the media who beleived that it would be impossible for me to juggle World Cup qualification with Scotland, along with the domestic and European season with Hearts. Nevertheless, whilst I was understandably thrilled to lead my country, I was in no way ready to give up on Hearts right now. Not when we had just gotten back into European competition. Not when we were in the Champions League. And certainly not, when we had a domestic title to defend.

The summer was both hectic and exitement, but truth is I had paid very little attention to the Scotland job, something that made me feel a little bit guilty as they were after all, paying me a deal of money. But I had other things to take care of, with new players need for the new campaign with Hearts. Scotland could wait, it wasn't as if there was that much choice over the players.

SPL Table 2011-2012

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">

| Pos | Inf | Team | | Pld | Won | Drn | Lst | For | Ag | G.D. | Pts |

| ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

| 1st | C | Hearts | | 38 | 21 | 6 | 11 | 66 | 35 | +31 | 69 |

| ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

| 2nd | | Dundee Utd | | 38 | 21 | 6 | 11 | 56 | 38 | +18 | 69 |

| 3rd | | Celtic | | 38 | 19 | 11 | 8 | 55 | 31 | +24 | 68 |

| 4th | | Rangers | | 38 | 17 | 15 | 6 | 59 | 34 | +25 | 66 |

| 5th | | Aberdeen | | 38 | 17 | 7 | 14 | 41 | 42 | -1 | 58 |

| 6th | | Dundee | | 38 | 16 | 9 | 13 | 56 | 51 | +5 | 57 |

| 7th | | Motherwell | | 38 | 14 | 11 | 13 | 50 | 42 | +8 | 53 |

| 8th | | Hibs | | 38 | 12 | 14 | 12 | 43 | 49 | -6 | 50 |

| 9th | | Gretna | | 38 | 11 | 11 | 16 | 47 | 57 | -10 | 44 |

| 10th | | Falkirk | | 38 | 10 | 10 | 18 | 35 | 46 | -11 | 40 |

| 11th | | Forfar | | 38 | 10 | 7 | 21 | 38 | 69 | -31 | 37 |

| 12th | R | Clyde | | 38 | 5 | 3 | 30 | 21 | 73 | -52 | 18 |

| | | | | | | | | | | | |

</pre>

With the Champions League campaign to tackle, I felt we might need a little bit of experience in the squad. And we also had to replace those players who, for whatever reason, decided to leave. Ronald Gutierrez retired, but as he hadn't played that much for us and wasn't very good anyway, he wouldn't be missed. Ignacio Martinez, who wasn't exactly happy about losing his place, eventually agreed to move to Aberdeen for £100,000 after turning down quite a few offers from Rangers. Youngster Gary Moffat was another player I had tried to move on, but who had turned down quite a few clubs before eventually agreeing a £350,000 move to Chelsea.

Two players the fans were not happy to see the back off were David Burke and Daniel Tozser, both stolen by Celtic in a combined deal worth £3.5M, which most Hearts fans felt was a bit cheap. Personally, I thought we had struck a decent enough deal, given that the fee was slightly more than both players combined minimum fee release clauses. Celtic, now under the new management of Gordon Strachan after the disgraceful sacking of Roy Aitken, had been well and truly conned. Ha ha.

Glenn Morris (28), despite being chased by a few clubs in the summer remains as our number one choice keeper. A decent season since his signing from Hull and its easy to see why he was so sought after as he made 11 shout outs from 21 starts. Youngster Mark Graham, who has just turned 21 will be hoping to break into the side and impress me enough for a Scotland call up. To be honest though, he has a lot of work to do on both fronts.

At right back, Vytas Vytautas (22) had a great season after coming to replace Sicot Cedric (23) when the Frenchman was injured. Both players are good, pacey full backs and its great to be able to have such a choice of personel, even though Sicot is not overly happy at being 2nd choice. Darren Thompson (29) continues to hold down the left back spot. He doesn't quite provide the pace and technique of his right back colleagues, but a good solid player who has rarely put a foot wrong and can't be faulted. Might have been knocking on the door of the Scotland squad if he was a bit younger - and indeed a bit better. Twenty seven year old Cypriot Giorgios Pelagias continues to be the back up in this position but gaining only six starts since his move from Forfar, he might be looking for a more regular game, although he is virtually guaranteed a place for his country whatever he does.

In the centre of defence, Spaniard Jesus Collado (25) is another who had a good season, and was thrilled to captain the side to the title. Last season he was partnered mainly by Burkina Faso international Lamine Traore (29), but the arrival of 25 year old former Italian U-21 cap Gian Diego Tipaldi from Feyenoord for £750,000 means Traore's place is in doubt. Tipaldi looks a decent player, who started his career at Juventus before heading to the bright lights of London and Arsenal. He spent most of his time there on loan to Huddersfield and Cardiff before being sold on to Feyenoord where he also failed to make much impact. Even so, he looks a player who can do a job for us and finally establish himself as a regular starter at a club. Bulgarian Adrian Olegov (27) also remains at the club and has done well enough when given the chance.

The midfield, of course, sees some new faces. Experience Italian Simone Perrotta (35) comes in on a free after being released by Middlesborough. Another Italian, 25 year old Stefano Menegat also arrives at the club in a £400,000 move from Monaco. Like Tipaldi, he is a former under 21 player, but has failed to make much impact and settle at a club. He is though a good player, and will be a more than adequate replacement for Burke. Charlie Adam (26), will feel he is knocking on the door of an international call up after a good season on the left side of the midfield. Whether he makes my first squad selection for the World Cup qualifier with Portugal, I very much doubt, but if he keeps up his level from last season he might have a chance for other matches. Seventeen year old Gary Sim is a player who is surely a future Scotland international himself. He has been used sparingly so far, with only four starts and ten sub appearances for the first team, but he is certainly a player who should make the grade. Another youngster who should make the grade is of course John Burns, who is just turning 19. Despite scoring the goal that clinched the title, his place in the team is far from guaranteed, although the departure of Tozser might give him a wee chance to take the role behind the strikers. I still can't decide if he is better here or up front, and really it's up to him to show me where his best position is. Ten goals from 23 starts and five sub appearance is something he certainly needs to improve on.

Fergus Tiernan (30), Lukasz Mozes (25) and Jiri Bilek (28) will all also be competing for places in the midfield. Mozes has done well enough, but the other two will probably not last if bids come in for them. Which so far they haven't.

Up front Neil Mellor (29) and Craig O'Reilly (25) were the main partnership last season. Their haul of 28 goals between them though isn't exactly that of a class pairing, and so I looked to the transfer market to see if anyone better could be found. Two million pounds saw the acquisition of Norwegian international Daniel Andersen (23) from Stabaek. Its a fair amount of money, but the player has certainly been scoring in Norway, with 51 goals from 73 games and would be expected to do just as well in Scotland. Competition for places up front though is bound to be fierce after the capture of 33 year old French veteran Nicolas Anelka who was release by Arsenal and 34 year old Ivory Coast international Didier Drogba who was released by Chelsea. They may be nearing the twilight of their careers, but their experience will be invaluable when we take on the Champions League.

Pre season was far from overly impressive as we lost 1-0 to Derby, and beat Swansea 4-2 and Norwich 2-0. But then, there is little point in going out and playing your utter best football when it doesn't count, is there. The Champions League saw us into the group stages automatically, only the 5th Scottish team to do so after the Old Firm, Dundee and Motherwell. The draw was difficult to assess, as we were in with Leverkusen, CSKA Moscow and Lyon. No doubt, three very good teams but we had a small feeling that we might just about be able to get 3rd place in this group, and with a little bit of luck even second. Of course, we were probably being stupidly optomistic.

Having a good European Champonships, and indeed a semi decent time under Souness, Scotland were actually ranked 9th in the world. The draw for the World Cup Qualifiers put us in with Portugal (12th), Switzerland (35th), Greece (93rd), Luxembourg (106th) and Azerbaijan (178th). Technically, we should have been favourites to win the group. Then again, this is Scotland and nothing is never that easy.

With the first match in September away to Portugal, and then being away to Greece in October before hosting Switzerland, it was certainly going to be a tough start. From the Hearts squad, only Charlie Adam and possibly Darren Thompson would have any legitimate claim to being included in the squad, but for now I felt it was better to leave them both out. I didn't want any accusations of bias. The line up them for Portugal would be :

(4-1-2-1-2):

GK: Craig Gordon (29) 70 caps, Birmingham.

LB: Steven Hammell (30) 8 caps, West Ham.

RB: Alan Hutton (26) 0 caps, Plymouth.

CD: Zander Diamond (27) 43 caps, 1 goal, Tottenham.

CD: Andy Webster (30) 39 caps, 2 goals, Aston Villa.

DM: Ian Murray (31) 53 caps, Celtic.

CM: Barry Ferguson (34) 73 caps, 16 goals, Birmingham.

CM: Gareth Williams (30) 5 caps, Rangers.

AM: Derek Riordan (29) 37 caps, 15 goals, Blackburn.

SC: Stephen Dobbie (30) 0 caps, Rangers.

SC: Scott Agnew (25) 19 caps, 1 goal, Rangers.

Subs: Paul Gallacher (GK) (33) 12 caps, West Brom; Gary Caldwell (30) 25 caps, Bolton; Patrick Scullion (26) 9 caps, Celtic; Stephen Pearson (30) 37 caps, Celtic; Darren Fletcher (28) 55 caps 12 goals, Manchester United; David Clarkson (27) 12 caps 5 goals, Fulham; Garry O'Connor (29) 49 caps 23 goals, West Brom.

A lot of fuss was made in the press about the fact few of our players were home based, and it was hardly a squad lacking in experience. But having just reached a major semi final, I didn't feel the squad needed that much changing overall, just a few tweaks to bring in players like Dobbie and Hutton and to fit players into my system. I was happy that we could go to Portugal and pick up a decent result. Expectations were sky in Scotland of course, and there was a fair bit of pressure on us to succeed and continue the countries rise back up the rankings. After a good start, in which we dominated possession, Derek Riordan became the first player to score under my management as we took the lead on just 16 minutes.

It was certainly a far cry from the dark days of B*rti V*gts, but Portugal were no mugs either, and ten minutes later they were level through Andrade. A good first half from us as we went in level at the break, and nine minutes after the restart Riordan sent us back into the lead, with good play again between him and Dobbie and they certainly seemed to be gelling well enough. Hopes of an excellent away win though were thwarted when Cristiano Ronaldo pulled Portugal level just three minutes later and although we at time outplayed the Portuguese the third goal wouldn't come and we had to settle for a decent enough draw.

Ratings: Gordon 8, Diamond 8, Hammell 7, Hutton 8, Webster 7, Murray 8, Williams 8, Riordan (2) 8, Ferguson 7, Dobbie 8, Agnew 8.

Wow....Woderfull read Mr Peace. The thrills, the spills and the joy.

I've just killed an hour at work catching up with your well crafted story.

Congratulations to your Hearts (in their mouths) fans and good luck with the Scotland job. I grew up a stones throw from Sommerset Park (now living in Oz) so i'll be hoping for a long overdue World Cup run to glory.

icon14.gificon14.gificon14.gif

Stupidly optimistic.

The season had started badly, and was getting worse and worse. The title party had been a great occasion at home to Aberdeen as we opened the season for real, but once the actual match got underway it was clear everything was not as it should have been and we struggled to a dissapointing goalless draw. Still, title parties are notorious for going wrong, and we could put it down to a one off. Which didn't explain the lacklustre showing at Tannadice as we went down 1-0.

Yet event that could be explained, as after all United had almost taken the title last season and when goals from Drogba and Mellor gave us a 2-0 win over Celtic, it seemed there really was little to worry about and perhaps it was just taking the new players time to settle and the Champagne to get out of the players systems. Alarm bells were really starting to ring though as we travelled to Dunfermline and got gubbed 2-0. This wasn't what I expected from a title winning side, and with a trip to Moscow looming for our first ever Champions League match, the match at Forfar became even more vital.

It wasn't a great match, but a second half brace from the seemingly improving John Burns sent us on our way with a bit of confidence and credibility restored. The match in Moscow started off extremely well for us, as CSKA defender Krasnov was rather harshly red carded in the very first minute for holding back Anelka. Perhaps a yellow card would have been more appropriate, but we could only accept the help from the referee. The match was far from a classic, but although the Russians were down to 10 men, the still proved tough to break down and in the end we had to settle for a goalless draw, and our first ever Champions League point.

The result in Moscow certainly seemed to lift the team a little, as we easily dispossed of Gretna 3-1 with goals from the so far dissapointing £2m signing Andersen, Burns and Drogba also getting on the scoresheet. It was Nicolas Anelka's turn to score against Dundee, John Burns continued his early scoring form from the penalty spot and Gary Sim came off the bench to grab his first ever senior goal. Dundee were well beaten and it was shaping up well for the visit of Leverkusen.

Given our start to the season, it was easy to see why most people seemed to believe we didn't have much chance against the Germans. The last three match though had sent confidence soaring again, and we were ready to win this match and set us up for the season. With just two minutes gone though, Tynecastle was silenced as Leverkusen took the lead, and there suddenly a fear that we were in for a right good thrashing.

Much to their credit though, the players didn't let the early loss get to them and just ten minutes later Nicolas Anelka showed why we had brought him to the club as he pulled us level. Five minutes after the restart, John Burns again found the net as he finally started to deliver as I had always known he could. It was a great match, and as you would expect the Germans were always dangerous. As time ran out, they won a corner and sent everyone forward, including their keeper, seeking out a desperate last gasp equaliser. The corner was a poor one, landing at the feet of Tipaldi on the edge of the area, and with great vision he picked out Daniel Andersen who was just on the halfway line. With the German keeper still racing to get back, Andersen had an open goal as he ran forward and from just over the half way line hit a great shot into the empty net and we had pulled off a superb, glorious victory.

As luck would have it, after our great European night we had to travel to Ibrox in the League. With confidence high, we should have been able to at least challenge a fairly poor Rangers side. With Stephen Dobbie grabbing a hattrick, we were woeful on the day and the final score of 5-0 was as disgraceful as it sounds. And it could have been a whole lot worse. Yet if the support believed the Rangers result was a fluke, perhaps the result of a Euro hangover, they were about to recieve a bit of a shock. A stunningly poor performance saw us come away from Fir Park with a 2-1 defeat, goalscorer Charlie Adam one of very few players to come away with any credit at all.

Needless to say, there was again a feeling of utter dread as Lyon came to Tynecastle in the Champions League. Neil Mellor though was the hero this time as he sent us into a 9th minute lead and then restored our lead again on 66 minutes after Lyon had equalized. Our hopes of another fine win though were thwarted as Lyon levelled again and we had to settle for a not too un-decent draw. Back in the league though, things were not to get better. Daniel Andersen gave us a 6th minute lead at Tynecastle over Hibs, but whatever it was that getting into these players, they proceeded to throw away another match and we ended up losing 2-1. A further 2-1 defeat at Falkirk saw us sit in a disgusting 8th place after having played everyone, a full 13 points behind leaders Celtic.

October ended with the return Champions League match in Lyon. The French slickly took the lead on 21 minutes and when Jiri Bilek was red carded after 36, the match was beyong our reach, confirmed as Abidal sent Lyon two ahead just seconds later. Three more goals in the second half saw us slump to another 5-0 defeat, and even this early in the season I was starting to wonder if it might be time to quit. I was sure most people would understand if I said I wanted to devote myself wholly to Scotland. Even if it was a total cop out.

After a good enough result away to Portugal, the second match in the attempt of Scotland to reach the 2014 World Cup Final in Brazil would take place in Greece. With our world ranking and prestige as high as they'd ever been, with a Semi Final of the Euro's just completed and having reached the knock out phase of the 2010 World Cup - where we lost to Euro 2012 conquerors Italy by 1-0 - there was a feeling that Scotland had gone as high and as far as we could. Surely it would all start to totally unravel, and this trip to Greece would be a good pointed as to how far down the road to unravelling the national team was.

Greece had failed to make the last two World Cup Finals, and had also failed to make Euro 2012, due in no small part to being in Scotland's qualifying section. A 1-0 win in Greece and a 1-1 draw at Hampden had been the results then, and so although the Greeks were perhaps not as good as they once were, they would still be a tough nut to crack. Their opening 2-1 away defeat at Switzerland though told us that we didn't really have that much to fear.

For this match, both Charlie Adam and Darren Thomson were called up to the squad, although they would both be on the bench. Despite our less than brilliant start to the season at Hearts, Adam had been one of our few consistanly decent performers, and being left footed also helped. Similiarly, left back didn't seem to be our strongest position, and although Steven Hammell was first choice for sure, Thomson was in my opinion at least, a good enough back up. The team had played well enough in Portugal, and so with no injuries to first eleven it would be the same line up:

4-1-2-1-2):

GK: Craig Gordon (29) 71 caps, Birmingham.

LB: Steven Hammell (30) 9 caps, West Ham.

RB: Alan Hutton (26) 1 caps, Plymouth.

CD: Zander Diamond (27) 44 caps, 1 goal, Tottenham.

CD: Andy Webster (30) 40 caps, 2 goals, Aston Villa.

DM: Ian Murray (31) 54 caps, Celtic.

CM: Barry Ferguson (34) 74 caps, 16 goals, Birmingham.

CM: Gareth Williams (30) 6 caps, Rangers.

AM: Derek Riordan (29) 38 caps, 17 goals, Blackburn.

SC: Stephen Dobbie (30) 1 caps, Rangers.

SC: Scott Agnew (25) 20 caps, 1 goal, Rangers.

Subs: Paul Gallacher (GK) (33) 12 caps, West Brom; Charlie Adam (26) 0 caps, Hearts; Patrick Scullion (26) 9 caps, Celtic; Stephen Pearson (30) 37 caps, Celtic; Darren Fletcher (28) 55 caps 12 goals, Manchester United; Darren Thomson (29) 0 caps, Hearts; Garry O'Connor (29) 49 caps 23 goals, West Brom.

We expected a hard match against a Greek side who may not be the best team in the world, but who would certainly know how to fight for every ball. A goalless first half was not without its excitements, but we were happy enough to be level, and overall a draw would not be a disaster. Just before the hour mark we finally got the goal that our play just about deserved - although the manner of its creation was slightly ludicrous. Barry Ferguson had sent a poor effort wide of goal, but Greek keeper Sifakis goal kick was shocking, landing right at the feet of an incredulous Scott Agnew who happily danced into the area and slotted the ball home for only his second ever Scotland goal. Agnew's delight would turn to grief as he was red carded in the final minute of play, but he was still in the clouds after a goal he probably shouldn't have had - a goal that was to win the match. With 64 minutes gone, Gareth Williams and Barry Ferguson,- neither of whom were particularly outstanding - were withdrawn to be replaced by Darren Fletcher and debut boy Charlie Adam. There was no fairytale stuff from Adam, but he played well enough.

In the end, a decent performance and whats more important a very good away win and three points in the bag on the road to Brazil.

Ratings: Gordon 8, Diamond 8, Hammell 8, Hutton 8, Webster 7, Murray 7, Williams 7, Riordan 7, Ferguson 6, Dobbie 8, Agnew S/O 90 (1) 7. Subs: Adam (on 64) 7, Fletcher (on 64) 7

Four days later, we finally had our first game at Hampden under my charge and of course the first of this World Cup Qualifying campaign. Switzerland are far from the most illustrious nation in world football, but it's certainly true that, like a lot of nations, they have become a force that at least you can no longer take lightly. With 2-1 home wins over Greece and Luxembourg, the Swiss were off and flying, but we expected to bring them crashing back down to earth a bang.

There would, of course, have to be changes this time. Scott Agnew was suspended and Stephen Dobbie had picked up and injury. That meant a rejigging of the forward line as James McFadden and Ross McCormack came into the side. The rest of the starting eleven remained unchanged though.

(4-1-2-1-2):

GK: Craig Gordon (29) 73 caps, Birmingham.

LB: Steven Hammell (30) 10 caps, West Ham.

RB: Alan Hutton (26) 2 caps, Plymouth.

CD: Zander Diamond (27) 45 caps, 1 goal, Tottenham.

CD: Andy Webster (30) 41 caps, 2 goals, Aston Villa.

DM: Ian Murray (31) 55 caps, Celtic.

CM: Barry Ferguson (34) 75 caps, 16 goals, Birmingham.

CM: Gareth Williams (30) 7 caps, Rangers.

AM: Derek Riordan (29) 38 caps, 17 goals, Blackburn.

SC: James McFadden (29) 81 caps, 22 goals Birmingham.

SC: Ross McCormack (26) 34 caps, 9 goals, Tottenham.

Subs: Paul Gallacher (GK) (33) 12 caps, West Brom; Charlie Adam (26) 1 cap, Hearts; Patrick Scullion (26) 9 caps, Celtic; Stephen Pearson (30) 37 caps, Celtic; Darren Fletcher (28) 56 caps 12 goals, Manchester United; Darren Thomson (29) 0 caps, Hearts; Garry O'Connor (29) 49 caps 23 goals, West Brom.

If the Tartan Army were expecting us to go out and blow Switzerland away - and no doubt there were a section who did expect this - they were soon to be dissapointed. This was to be a dour and stuffy match, with not a lot to write home about as the Swiss very effectively put up a brick wall that our forwards found very tough to break down. An injury to Zander Diamond after just 14 minutes was a blow defensively, but Patrick Scullion came on performed well enough.

As the match wore on, nothing seemed to give and I decided to bring off Ross McCormack and move Derek Riordan up front, sending on Charlie Adam to play in the 'hole'. This isn't a position I use Adam very much at Hearts, but I know he can do a job there if needed and I felt Riordan could do more damage as an out and out striker. And indeed, just five minutes after the introduction of the Hearts midfielder, we finally broke the deadlock. Adam started the move on the halfway line, playing a short pass to Williams who sent Riordan through, but being too heavily marked he had little chance to score and instead played the ball to Adam who had kept up his run and thundered the ball into the back of the net for his first ever international goal.

It was a match in which we were rarely in any danger of losing, but for a long spell looked as if we would have to settle for a draw. In the end, the slender 1-0 win was good enough for me - it gave us all three points. With three friendlies now due before Luxembourg arrived at Hampden in March, we could use these to consolidate the squad and perhaps introduce one or two new players. Or perhaps not.

Ratings: Gordon 7, Diamond (inj 14) 6, Hammell 7, Hutton 7, Webster 7, Murray 7, Williams 7, Riordan 8, Ferguson 7, McCormack 7, McFadden 7. Subs: Scullion (on 14) 7, Adam (on 66) (1) 7

After the devastating defeat in Lyon, my Hearts side were really in the dumps and a 2-2 draw at Pittodrie didn't really shake off those blues. And then, suddenly, against Dundee United at Tynecastle we showed something of the form that took us to the title last season. Neil Mellor hasn't had that much of a look in, yet when he does play, he certainly seems to score. Of course when you're competing with a £2M signing and two international class veterans then getting a place in the team isn't going to be a sure thing. A brace against United staked his claim though, and with Anelka grabbing a glorious hattrick we cruised to a superb 5-0 win. Mellor though spoiled it a bit by being sent off in the dying seconds. Certainly an eventful day for him.

That win set us up nicely for the return match with CSKA in our penultimate Champions League group match. A win here would still leave us in a decent position, and in fact would guarantee us a place in the UEFA Cup - which in reality is about as much as we really should be expecting. Neil Mellor was again on fire with another brace, John Burns matched him and Nicolas Anelka grabbed a late fifth and we had secured that UEFA berth in style. Now all we needed was a draw in Germany against Leverkusen, or the match between CSKA and Lyon to end level and we would reach the last sixteen of the Champions League. Not bad for a side who were hiding when it came to the domestic scene.

Yet just as you think you've perhaps turned the corner, when you go to Celtic Park and get gubbed 3-0. Its almost as if I have two very different teams. A League Cup 3rd round tie with St Mirren gave us a bit of a break from the harder matches and we easly dispossed of them 3-1, before seeing of Dunfermline 3-0 in the League. Our confidence on the rise we headed of to Germany and promptly fell behind on the 19th minute. Even if we lost this match though, as long as the other tie stayed level we had made the last sixteen. As we contained the Germans for the rest of the game with a decent enough display, we could only keep our fingers crossed and sure enough CSKA and Lyon could only play out a goalless draw in Moscow and we had done it. The draw for the last sixteen gave us a dream tie as we were paired with Arsenal.

After a 3-0 defeat of Forfar to move into the League Cup Semi Final, the year fizzled out with three successive draws, before unbeaten in 20 league games Rangers came to Tynecastle. If it hadn't been that nine of those games were draws, Rangers would be streaking away with the title. As it was, Celtic were streaking away and we were so far the only side to inflict defeat on them. Given our supremely erratic form, and the fact Rangers had yet to lose in the League this season, it was odds on that we would win. And indeed, we did as a 78th minute Stefano Menegat goal gave a superb victory that leaves us 4th in the SPL at the turn of the year - but a massive 24 points behind Celtic.

As the transfer windowed opened again in January, so a group of players left the club. Goalkeeper Glenn Morris claimed that he 'had lost confidence in the managers ability'. Perhaps, given that we were actually in the last 16 of the Champions League, it was his intelligence that needed a confidence boost. A £250,000 move to Everton got rid of him, but it does leave us with only one keeper on the books. Sicot Cedric also leaves the club after failing to hold down a regular start, Middlesborough paying £250,000. Central defender Jesus Collado was the third player to leave, his attitude recently has been very bad and so the £500,000 from Rangers will do very nicely.

I would like to get rid of a few more players, but there is also the problem that we need to keep players for Europe so although there will be new faces, there might not be as many as I would like and the players we have will just have to get their heads out of their arses and start playing again!

Before the next World Cup qualifier with Luxembourg in March of 2013, Scotland had two friendlies in November 2012 and a third in February 2013. All the matches were at home, and for the first one against the Faroes I cheekily included 17 year old Hearts midfielder Gary Sim. Gary is a player I feel will one day be a regular for the Scotland side, and has made a few appearances for the Hearts first team and is a regular on the bench, which is where he started in this match, coming on after 55 minutes. Three minutes into his debut, Sim scored a fine goal and 13 minutes later was taken off injured. Scott Agnew and Derek Riordan had scored a goal apiece in the first half, and Garry O'Connor scored a late brace as we romped to a nice and easy 5-0 win.

Finland should have posed a tougher test, and in a sense they did as they actually scored a goal with five minutes left to play. By that point though, goals from Barry Ferguson, Garry O'Connor, Stephen Pearson and a Stephen Dobbie brace had put us 5-0 ahead, and O'Connor even had the luxury of missing a penalty. A few months later against Singapore, recalled Celtic striker Paul Gallacher grabbed a brace with other goals from Pearson and O'Connor in an easy but goal starved 4-0. It would surely be a lot tougher than this when the qualifying got underway once more.

Back at Hearts, and the January transfer merry go round saw Craig O'Reilly move to Dunfermline for £180,000 with right back Vytas Vytautus - having decided he needed a 'new challenge' - moved on to Dundee for a quarter of a million. We needed new faces, but finding them wasn't easy. The fans were probably a bit dissapointed in acquisitions of 35 year old veterans Andrius Skerla and Raul Tamudo but both were on a free transfer and we really need that kind of experience at the moment. Also on the way in were 19 year old keeper Joe Holmes from Blackburn for a massive £3,000. Left back Stuart Sim (22) comes in from Torquayfor £110,000. The former Rangers players is someone I had been keeping tabs on and now seemed like the right time to move. Promising 19 year old right back Scott Connolly comes in from Manchester City for £10,000 and finally 30 year old defender Scott Wilson, whom I had at Forfar for a short spell, comes in from Bradford at £850,000. Hardly massive names, but about the best we can get right now. The lack of depth in the squad also meant that before the end of the season youth team players Chris Murray, John Kerr and Mark Thomson would all get run outs in the team, even though none of them I would consider to be ready yet for a regular start.

It was clear even to the most stupidly optimistic of Hearts fans that we were not going to retain our title, the best we could do now was simply try and finish as high in the league as possible. Starting 2013 at Easter Road against arch rivals Hibs was ideal - if we won. Going into this match I was still without an Edinburgh derby win, and of course the press were talking about 'a jinx.' These runs have to end sometime, and today was the day, as goals from Mellor, Anelka and Burns gave us an excellent 3-0 win and any jinx had been well and truly buried.

Wins over St Johnstone in the Scottish Cup and Falkirk in the League extended our unbeaten run to nine matches as we at last seemed to find a modicum of consistancy. A double header with Aberdeen ended that as we lost 2-1 in the League at Tynecastle as the sheepshaggers bagged two very late goals. Revenge was gained in the League Cup Semi Final as a 2-0 win set us up for a replay of last seasons Final with Celtic. Dundee United and Dunfermline were seen off in the League and Hamilton were eventually overcome 2-1 in the Scottish Cup and finally it was time to face Arsenal at Tynecastle in what would possibly be our biggest match of the season.

All right, I'm up to date now. Good luck against Aresnal.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Peacemaker7:

Thanks again Rukus. Are you as mad as HD about the 'Honest' men icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not following them as much as my dad. He still goes on about watching Alex Ferguson all those years ago. My uncle is a regullar though, never misses a game.

The excitement in the build up to the match with Arsenal was tangible. Having had a very sticky season in many ways, it seemed the team were starting to come good at the right time, even if the title was too far out of our reach by now. Yet if we could overcome Arsenal, that might well make up for our League dissapointment. And there was a growing feeling that we definately had what it takes to beat the London giants.

Four minutes into those match, all the hopes and dreams we had were somewhat destroyed as Francesc Fabregas sent Arsenal ahead. It was a devasting blow, and an away goal that would make it so much harder for us now. Fourteen minutes later, as Arsenal had been all over us, the English side were given a body blow of their own as they were reduced to 10 men. Yet even with an extra man, we simply found the task too much and Arsenal held on for their traditional scoreline. It was more than a little dissapointing.

With the heavy despair of such defeat still hanging over the players, they went to Forfar and were gubbed 2-0. Yet just as it seemed that perhaps confidence was dipping again, a visit from Champions elect Celtic might not be the ideal thing - unless we won. Which we did, by 2-0 and followed that up with an easy 4-0 win over Gretna. Those two wins behind us, we travelled down to London detetmined to salvage some pride for ourselves, and for Scottish club football which in reality hadn't been doing too well recently as the co-efficient had dropped down to 15th.

Few people gave us a chance. In fact no-one with any semblance of intelligence gave us a chance. Yet less than a minute had gone when the Emirates crowd were stunned into subdued silence as Neil Mellor sent us into a sensational early lead, and the away goal was cancelled out already. With Arsenal still rocked by what they had thought was impossible, we continued to dominate and only twelve minutes had passed when youngster Gary Sim added a second and suddenly the whole momentum of the tie was changing.

Arsenal now needed two goals, but of course they were more than capable of doing just that. Yet as the match progressed, it became clear that they simply were not going to breach our defence and we held on for one of the greatest results in the history of Heart of Midlothian Football Club. Amazingly we were in the draw for the Quarter Finals of the UEFA Champions League, and when we were paired with Barcelona no-one batted an eyelid. We were all still much to stunned to realise what we had done.

Yet perhaps the whole of our season could be summed up in our next game as, having pulled off such a fantastic result, we then proceeded to draw 0-0 with Airdrie United in the Scottish Cup. Yet perhaps this once the players could be forgiven and the replay was won easily enough by 2-0. Our third consecutive cup tie in a row saw us take on Celtic in the League Cup Final, a repeat of last seasons affair which Celtic had won on penalties. This time though we were determined to reverse the outcome, and even though Celtic would go and win the SPL title, they were far from invicible - a 5-2 loss at Gretna had shown just how poor a side they could be.

The match started well enough for us, and with 23 minutes gone John Burns sent us into the lead. Five minutes from half time the impressive Neil Mellor made it two and when Strasbourg bound Nicolas Anelka made it 3-0 just into the second half the match looked well and truly over. Somehow though it wasnt, and goals from Paul Gallacher on the hour and John Kennedy five minutes later suddenly had the Celtic support on their feet as they sensed a great comeback. Anelka and Mellor though both struck again to kill of Celtic dreams of the treble and bring the League Cup to Hearts in fine style.

Back in the League, as we chased what had once seemed an impossible Champions League place, Dundee were disposed of 4-0 and then in a tough fought derby at Tynecastle, Gian Diego Tipaldi scored a total fluke of a goal three minutes into injury time to send the Hibees home crying. As the season entered the home straight, our next stop was the Nou Camp to do battle with one of the most famous clubs in the world. If could overcome this obstacle, we could become heroes. But it was going to be a big ask!

If we had any belief that we could go to the Nou Camp and do to Barcelona what we had done to Arsenal, we were soon disabused of that notion. Thirteen minutes of relentless Barcelona pressure paid off with a goal from Robinho and twelve minutes later Iniesta added a second. Yet just as we were in danger of a serious beating, Barca took their foot off the gas and we managed to work our way back into the match - only for stand in Lukasz Mozes to get himself sent off fifteen minutes from time and end any chance we had of carving out a lifeline. Still, many better teams than us have been battered at the Nou Camp and in the end a 2-0 defeat wasn't the end of the world.

A 3-1 win over Motherwell in the League set us up for the return with Barca. We were kidding ourselves all week that the tie wasn't over yet, that if we could get an early goal then anything could happen. Two minutes into the second leg, Juan Carlos Pena sent Barca ahead and that was that. John Burns did level from the penalty spot but in the end the task was just too much and we bowed out of the Champions League after a glorious and fulfilling run.

As it had been after Arsenal, so it was after Barcelona as we headed for Scottish Cup action, this time the Semi with Celtic at Hampden. Neil Mellor gave us the lead four minutes into the second half, but Celtic hit back with 20 minutes left and the match went to a replay. Early goals from Burns and Mellor were enough to see us through, but dreams of a match with Hibs were ended as Rangers overcame our arch rivals and it was they we would face in the final.

It was also Rangers we were competing with for that vital 2nd place spot in the League. A 2-0 defeat at Ibrox in the final match before the split tipped the balance in favour of the Glasgow side, but a 3-2 win there for us just a couple of weeks later, added to by a 4-2 win over Champions Celtic wrapped up 2nd place and left us realising that this title could and should have been ours if it hadn't been for some silly performances early in the season.

The Cup Final against Rangers was a chance for us to a double, and to end a season of what might have been on a high note. Defender Scott Wilson sent us ahead after 14 minutes and just seven minutes later Nicolas Anelka made it 2-0. With Rangers having won only two trophies in six years, there was a level of determination about them to succeed and on the hour Stephen Dobbie gave them a lifeline and set us up for a tense final thirty minutes. Rangers battled hard, but moving into the last minute of the match, Neil Mellor finally added a third and the Scottish Cup was ours.

The summer was to prove a dissapointing time for the Hearts support as John Burns left for Chelsea and Charlie Adam demanded a transfer as well. The Hearts board were not providing me with enough money to replace the players who had left, and eventually I decided enough was enough and walked out on the club. I gave my public reasons as wanting to concentrate on managing Scotland which seemed fair enough, but didn't explain my letter of application for Newcastle United - a job I failed to get anyway.

For now then I would indeed concentrate on getting Scotland to the World Cup and then after that, it might be time to call it a day and enjoy all the lovely money I had made from the game.

Archived