Do you change

how often do you change your tactics do you change then every time a patch comes out or every time another FM is released is there anyone that has used the same tactics since the FM series began i just want to know how often you change even if you change every day i am just intrigued,

i see a lot of people there only goal is to crack the m.e like it is the morse code, so when a patch comes out they will put that tactic in the recycle bin

I create a tactic from scratch every time a new FM is released and for the last few versions I have not changed it at all after creating it with the demo/release version.

I've had times where certain versions/patches have helped or hindered me but I've never made huge changes because of this. When I create a tactic I try and create a style of football I am happy with, not one that will necessarily score hundreds of goals and destroy the AI.

I create a tactic from scratch every time a new FM is released and for the last few versions I have not changed it at all after creating it with the demo/release version.

I've had times where certain versions/patches have helped or hindered me but I've never made huge changes because of this. When I create a tactic I try and create a style of football I am happy with, not one that will necessarily score hundreds of goals and destroy the AI.

that's good to hear there are still people like you around because for some its all about cracking the AI, i am the same only i have used a formation and style for the last 3 versions pf FM, the only thing that's changed it for me was the new tactics creator where there are a lot more options to get technical with which was much needed IMO

that's good to hear there are still people like you around because for some its all about cracking the AI, i am the same only i have used a formation and style for the last 3 versions pf FM, the only thing that's changed it for me was the new tactics creator where there are a lot more options to get technical with which was much needed IMO

I've been using the exact same formation for at least seven version now, possibly more :D

I think SI have actually made the problem with people trying to "crack" the AI worse with the wizard, which is one of the many things about FM10 I didn't like.

What I do tactically has more to do with what sort of teams I'm playing with, along with what country they're in, or the level they're at.

Over the years, I've usually used one or another variant of the 4-4-2 formation, which I also include offshoots like the 4-2-3-1 which isn't too dissimilar.

I try to base my system on a sound and logical framework and as yet, haven't had to change anything once a patch is released. I'm never looking to beat or "crack" the match engine though, only the teams in front of me. I'll often stick with the same core tactic throughout a whole save, though I will change the philosophy and use shouts to make changes before and during matches. I may also change the odd role if I'm able to bring a player in with the right attributes.

In my current save with the attacking 4-4-2 I'm using, I would love to incorporate a deep-lying playmaker on "defend" duty. Someone who will sit deep in front of my defence and be a good passing outlet to initiate forward moves. As I've been unable to find or sign someone who's attributes fulfil what I would require to suit the role to my satisfaction, I'm maintaining the more simple MC "defend" and MC "support" roles in midfield.

In this current lower league save though, I've stuck with a 4-4-2 formation and have two variants setup in the match preparation menu. The only difference between the two is a couple of the team instructions. I have a "winter" setup and a "summer" setup.

The winter setup uses less creative freedom and a more balanced philosophy, in an attempt to keep things more simple on poor pitches and in bad weather. This is because trying something a bit more "fancy", even with quality players, on a boggy lower league pitch in the midst of a wet winter, won't tend to work so well.

The summer setup takes more advantage of better playing surfaces and dryer weather, by allowing a more fluid philosophy and more creative freedom. It allows my players to use more flair and try more creative things, because the playing surface and weather conditions allow these things to work more.

Depends who I am managing. If I manage Man united for example I'll create 1 tactic that plays to the strength of all my player's and then leave it because I expect to dominate most games anyway. If I manage a relegation candidate then I'll change tactics a lot to try and outwit the AI and do better than expectations. With Wolves I was 9th half way through the season and I was having a great time getting stuck in to the tactical side of the game

It always depends on what kinds of players I have. I'm managing both Man Utd and Italy. With Man Utd, I play a rigid 4-4-2 with lots of creative freedom but based around a midfield playmaker, either Anderson or Wilshere. With Italy, I play a narrow 4-1-3-2 that actually plays like a Brazilian 4-2-2-2 because Italy has lots of good midfielders and lacks good wingers.

It always depends on what kinds of players I have. I'm managing both Man Utd and Italy. With Man Utd, I play a rigid 4-4-2 with lots of creative freedom but based around a midfield playmaker, either Anderson or Wilshere. With Italy, I play a narrow 4-1-3-2 that actually plays like a Brazilian 4-2-2-2 because Italy has lots of good midfielders and lacks good wingers.

can you explain a bit more about your italy formation it sounds interesting i play a brazilian stlye 4.2.2.2

I preferably use the same tactics 4-5-1 in every game... However as a tactical surprise thanks to new match preparation wizard i also use 442, 4231, 41212, 352 in different seasons...

I think my 451 goes well with every match engine. however i had to change my 442 when i imported my fm10 tactics in fm11

can you explain a bit more about your italy formation it sounds interesting i play a brazilian stlye 4.2.2.2

The back 4 is the same as brazil 4-2-2-2 with 2 wing backs. Instead of 2 anchormen to cover them, I rely on Daniele De Rossi, as well as playing slower pace than the Brazilians while keeping possession by short passing. The 3 CMs include 1 in support (Marchisio) and 2 in attack (Montolivo and Pirlo) who stay in the middle, pass more, take more long shots, and run less to the sides than the 2 Brazilian AMC (like Kaka and Ronaldinho). Up top, I play one deep forward, who can dribble and lure the defenders, and a fast poacher. During offense, you have 2 attacking CM and 2 forwards to score with.

This formation works better than the Brazil 4-2-2-2 because the CMs are more involved in keeping possession and defending the midfield than AMCs. They also don't dribble through the defense line or drift to the sides like AMC, but they stick close to 18-yard line to take shots. Hence, you need the right CMs good with both attacking and defending for it to work, which is why it only works with Italy so far for me.

I normally don't change the formation but i'll have different strategies depending on the strength of my team compared to the rest league.

Right now on my Novara save i got promoted with a 451(using inside forwards on the wings) pressing high up the pitch, playing possession football and basically dominating most of the games..

Now that i'm on the Serie A and my team is considerably weaker than the rest, i just sit back and play direct on the counter using the inside forwards sometimes or just plain-old classic wingers depending on the opposition, eventually when i have a strong enough team i'll go back to my original style.

I'm like that as well. I usually go with a 4-4-2 for should-win games and a 4-5-1 for difficult games. Absolutely love the tactic creator (was on FM09 before FM11), as it's actually made me change my approach more during/between games. The old/classic tactical slider system was just to tedious for the normal user. Glad it's still there for micro managing though.

I keep the same tactic, adopt it mid-game to suit how the opponent has set up.

For example, I generally start as Standard/Control, default passing. I'll listen to my Assman and change the passing after 15 minutes. At half time I check the stats of my wingers to see how effective they've been as an Inside Forward and change them to an out-and-out Winger if the stats suggest that's beneficial. I keep an eye on my "big man" up front and his heading/hold up play ratio and switch the crossing instructions. If I'm pushing for a game I press the opponents, play a direct passing game and toggle on play offside....

Loads of other stuff too. I don't believe "the AI has figured me out" theory applies if you're constantly changing the variables to adapt to individual games, so I find that I have one tactic, and I only change if I want to see a different style of play (such as a 4-2-3-1).

Well i used to do the same before 11.2,after that the game has become unplayable for me.When i start with a team it's two months at best and the struggle begins.I hardly ever score more than 2 goals in 1 game and start gettin' outplayed by almost every team.The tactic that won me Serie A in my very first season with Juve is now useless.The other thing that happens is that sometimes i outplay some small time team and yet i can't score more than 1.

metalistvchelseastatsma.th.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

martimovchelseastatsmat.th.jpg

chelseavcardiffstatsmat.th.jpg

I keep the same tactic, adopt it mid-game to suit how the opponent has set up.

For example, I generally start as Standard/Control, default passing. I'll listen to my Assman and change the passing after 15 minutes. At half time I check the stats of my wingers to see how effective they've been as an Inside Forward and change them to an out-and-out Winger if the stats suggest that's beneficial. I keep an eye on my "big man" up front and his heading/hold up play ratio and switch the crossing instructions. If I'm pushing for a game I press the opponents, play a direct passing game and toggle on play offside....

Loads of other stuff too. I don't believe "the AI has figured me out" theory applies if you're constantly changing the variables to adapt to individual games, so I find that I have one tactic, and I only change if I want to see a different style of play (such as a 4-2-3-1).

that's interesting tubey i have never once thought of listening to my ass man, but i might give it a go while in the match i forgot all about the in game advice from him:thup:

The back 4 is the same as brazil 4-2-2-2 with 2 wing backs. Instead of 2 anchormen to cover them, I rely on Daniele De Rossi, as well as playing slower pace than the Brazilians while keeping possession by short passing. The 3 CMs include 1 in support (Marchisio) and 2 in attack (Montolivo and Pirlo) who stay in the middle, pass more, take more long shots, and run less to the sides than the 2 Brazilian AMC (like Kaka and Ronaldinho). Up top, I play one deep forward, who can dribble and lure the defenders, and a fast poacher. During offense, you have 2 attacking CM and 2 forwards to score with.

This formation works better than the Brazil 4-2-2-2 because the CMs are more involved in keeping possession and defending the midfield than AMCs. They also don't dribble through the defense line or drift to the sides like AMC, but they stick close to 18-yard line to take shots. Hence, you need the right CMs good with both attacking and defending for it to work, which is why it only works with Italy so far for me.

sounds pretty cool, Italy do have some class midfielders and it seems like your making full use of that:thup:

When I have a good tactic (i.e one where I win most of the games I should), then that's the one i play continuously. The tactic I use depends on the FM in question (i.e what works well within the respective game engine).

Usually I make a tactic that suits my players. Then try and look towards making a tactic that means I can fit in as many good signings as possible.

I often find a lot of tactics just dont work, so I'll stop using them. For example the narrow diamond is useless now so Ill never use that.

I change my bloody tactics 20 times a match! It's pathetic how much most tactics don't seem to work on FM.

Load of crap.

There's your problem, especially if you're changing the shape and formation so regularly. Your players will never gain fluency with a particular system and it'll always be counter productive.

I download a tactic, apply it, and leave it there unchanged no matter who I play with. I'm in 2031 now and haven't touched it since I first downloaded it. Tactics just don't really interest me all that much, so I prefer someone else to do that part for me. I enjoy the money side of the game more.

Archived