The Rangers, Champions of Scotland thread: Season 05/06

Ter

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Haz:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FrankJJ:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Colin14:

he turned down the tic too (Y) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Of course he did. icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Must be so painful living in denial </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Stop being so gullible, remember who your chairman is. icon_biggrin.gif

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was the player who said it, not Murray...

Not like Lawwel making last minute phone calls is it...?

"Erm is that you John, Rose.. sorry Jose? Gonnae no sign for they Rangers bassas? Meet us at Asda's car park at Clydebank instead. Aye, we're signing plenty of players. What do you mean you're not a striker? Do you know where wee Craigy is?"

Believe what you like Frankie, but all these comment make it seem as if you just buy whoever Celtic want. It's aincredible how many Rangers signings have turned down AC Milan/Barcelona/Bayern Munich/Arsenal/Ajax/Celtic. (Almost as many as have knee injuries icon_wink.gif)

It's just spin and we all know it, although I will definitely admit your PR are department are good at it if a little repetitive.

In saying that, on paper he appears a good signing, although like Ter, he's someone I have seldom heard of. icon14.gif

• SI Staff

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">are you too lazy to check him out in the database? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm still in my bed, so yeah icon_biggrin.gif

Only pulling your chain mate. Those kind of quotes keep the masses happy, especially when the signings are not of the Gascoigne/Laudrup calibre... icon_wink.gif

However, we are making decent progress with regard to replacing the guys who've left and we're now only 2 players short of having our best squad in a good few years.

Surprised Celtic haven't risen above their daily transfer speculation and made more moves but I'm sure that will happen eventually. Of course, you need to do it a bit quicker, but you first CL game shouldn't be too much of a problem even if you do play 2-2-6.. icon_wink.gif

Serious question. Do you think Sutton will be playing in defence next year with the amount of forward players you seem to be signing?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ter:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">are you too lazy to check him out in the database? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm still in my bed, so yeah icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

CA of 131 I think. Not brilliant but not bad either.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FrankJJ:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Haz:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Colin14:

he turned down the tic too (Y) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Of course he did. icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Must be so painful living in denial </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Stop being so gullible, remember who your chairman is. icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Gullible, me? Seen Robbie Keane at Celtic Park lately? icon_biggrin.gif

I know you were but for god sake leave the tired and huddled masses out of the loop. icon_mad.gif

I'm not too bothered about them taking their time, if they secure value for money in whatever deals are pulled off. The season is still far enough away and to be honest considering the management and players are all of playing in JP McManus' golf tournament in Ireland makes me think they are unworried. icon_rolleyes.gif(I hope)

The thing that annoys me is that Celtic get slaughtered for not spending money they don't have yet it's a sound financial policy if anyone else does it. icon_rolleyes.gif

As for Sutton, well, erm, yes, eh, actually I think you might be correct, he may be used in a sweeper position which would rather remove Bobo, who of course turned down Bayern Munich, Schalke and Bayer Leverkusen to stay, from being the very last liability in defence. I think he will more likely play in central midfield as a playmaker which he does well but is no way near as effective as he is up front. The other problem with that is that we would have pace all round the team except right in the middle of the park! Who knows, maybe wee Gordon worked it out with Lawwell on the tenth tee yesterday! icon_biggrin.gif

Guest sav112

Looks like another good signing in the bag, I’ll feel a bit better when we sort out Soti or his replacement and probably a left winger.

Alex and Martin can now move on to the next target icon14.gif

Its a bit like a new signing. icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Rae of hope for Gavin

Forgotten Rangers midfielder Gavin Rae is hoping to put his injury misery behind him and make an impact at the club this season.

Rae has undergone successful surgery in Sweden and will be hoping to make some sort of impact this year.

Rae suffered ligament damage to his left knee last year and developed tendinitis in his right knee during the recovery and has barely featured in a Rangers jersey.

Alan Hutton is another player on the way back after a lengthy spell out with a broken leg and McLeish is looking forward to seeing them back in contention.

He said: "Having Gavin back will be a bit like having a new player, providing everything goes well and there is no reason why it shouldn't.

"He's just had a successful operation in Sweden and we still have Alan Hutton to come back as well."

But, if Rae and Hutton thought breaking into the first team at Rangers was tough before, it has just become even more difficult. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> BARRY FERGUSON has been appointed captain of Rangers ahead of the new season.

The midfielder - who skippered the club to the treble in 2003 - inherits the armband from Stefan Klos who was made captain at the start of last season.

The decision to reinstall Ferguson as skipper was made by manager Alex McLeish who felt it important to have an outfield player leading the side rather than a goalkeeper.

McLeish said: "It was always my intention to use an outfield player as captain.

"Stefan Klos did a magnificent job for us at a difficult time when there were no outstanding candidates and so many new players in the side.

"He knew at that time that it was always my intention to use an outfield player as captain and that is why Barry will take up the mantle.

"There's no doubt that Fernando Ricksen showed excellent leadership qualities when he take over from Stefan in the Alex McLeish and Barry Fergusonsecond half of last season.

"But I think Barry is the right man for the job and I am pleased that he will be skippering the side next season." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

hmmm...Ricksen/Klos did a good job, but I think it was pretty obvious to see Barry would get handed the job this year

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Rangers have turned down the chance of a loan swop deal with Fulham for their out-of-favour French striker, Steve Marlet.

The Londoners would have received Michael Ball in return but the Rangers chairman, David Murray, decided not to pursue matters when he discovered Marlet earns more than Ball's £23,000 per week salary.

Speculation suggesting they were back in the race for Craig Bellamy has been dismissed by Newcastle </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

• SI Staff

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Hungary midfielder Szabolcs Huszti could be involved in another signing tug-of-war between Panathinaikos and Rangers, according to his agent.

Sam Stapleton says West Brom could also enter the race to sign the 20-year-old out of contract from Ferencvaros.

"There is interest from Pana in Greece, as well as Rangers, and West Brom are contemplating following up their January interest," said Stapleton.

Panathinaikos and Rangers are arguing over the future of Sotirios Kyrgiakos.

The Scottish champions want to keep the Greece defender after a successful loan spell, but the two clubs are at odds over the fee involved.

Now they could be in competition for Huszti, who scored two goals for Hungary in a friendly against Scotland last year.

Compatriot Zoltan Gera has already been a success in the English Premiership with West Brom.

And Stapleton said: "Huszti is regarded as the new Gera and it's important to find the right club for him.

"There are a few top Championship sides monitoring the situation, but we'll see what happens."

Huszti turned out in Luis Figo's All-Star charity game over the weekend and is now close to making a decision on his future.

"It's an exciting time for him and he is looking forward to a new challenge," added Stapleton. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Would be a good signing I think. Hopefully we can get him in.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jambo:

Hearts were linked with him a few months ago </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, we've continually been linked with for a good while now.

I'd imagine Hearts would struggle to attract him or afford his wages. Could be wrong if you board do eventually put some money up.

icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

"There is interest from Pana in Greece..." said Stapleton.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

b0ll0cks

Guest sav112

We certainly need a left winger. What’s the score with the forward line do you think we’ll stick with Novo and Dado with Thomas Buffel floating behind or will Nacho be placed out on the right again.

When you think about it, there sure is a bit of talent out with what I’d consider the first choice team.

Steven Thompson

Gavin Rae

Hamed Namouchi

Alan Hutton

Chris Burke

Team shaping up

Klos / Ronald Waterreus

Fernando Ricksen

Marvin Andrews /Sotirios Kyrgiakos

Jose Karl Pierre-Fanfan

Ian Murray

Brahim Hemdani

Barry Ferguson

Alex Rae

Dado Prso

Thomas Buffel

Nacho Novo

Mind you I can see at least another good signing.

• SI Staff

My team would be...

Klos

Ricksen

Ball

Fanfan

Kyrgiakos

Hemdani

Ferguson

NEW LEFT SIDED PLAYER

Buffel

Novo

Prso

If we can't bring anyone in before the start of the season then I would be trying out Burke/Fetai there to see how they do in the pre-season matches.

I'd like to see another striker brought in to compete with Dado and Nacho, but they'd be preferably an out and out one, not one who drifts about outside and inside the box

personally i wouldnt be lokking for loan players to fill problem positions. look at vignal. he was looking like solving our left sided problem either in defense or midfield, but let us down at the end of the season by trying to shaft us for massive wages. somebody permanent would be the best option. there must be a couple of decent left sided players on the bosman market.

i would like to see somebody like riordan playing the kind of role henry played at france in the 451/433 formation mcleish first used when he got the job... it was also the only formation lovenkrands played well in

• SI Staff

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Vidmar:

Bit of an odd one today we've been linked with Lionel Messi of barca comming on loan for a year </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Strange one indeed but I doubt he would come to us on loan to be honest, but you never know.

He's looked a cracking wee player when I've seen him though with bags of ability.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gary Toner:

Argie striker at Murray park now according to reports on Synde, Evening times report a "major signing in 24 hours"

According to FF atleast. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Crespo or Saviola hmmmm icon_wink.gif

looks like Ross could be off

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Sheffield Wednesday are hoping to sign defensive duo Maurice Ross and Graham Coughlan.

The Owls have had an offer for Rangers full back Ross accepted and have also lodged a bid for Plymouth stopper Coughlan.

Rangers are willing to allow Scotland international Ross to leave Ibrox after he failed to nail down a regular starting role under Alex McLeish.

The fee is believed to be in excess of £100,000, with Ross due to return from Rangers' pre-season trip to Canada to discuss his move to Hillsborough.

Ross could be followed to the Championship club by Coughlan, after Sturrock made a move to be reunited with the centre half.

Sturrock signed the 30-year-old for Plymouth during his time at the Home Park helm and will hope he has not left his bid too late.

Bristol City have already had an undisclosed offer for the defender accepted by Plymouth but talks over personal terms have been delayed due to the birth of Coughlan's son.

The Robins are still optimistic of landing Coughlan but the player may favour the chance to stay in The Championship and work with Sturrock again.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If it's an Argie you can be sure it's "the new Maradona" icon_rolleyes.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i'm always a fan of the "new George Best" icon_cool.gif

bring back Lee Feeney icon_mad.gificon_biggrin.gif

If it's an Argie you can be sure it's "the new Maradona" icon_rolleyes.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Even the new Madonna would be better than Lovenkrands...

PS: lionel Messi from Barca is the man isn't... icon_smile.gif

• SI Staff

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Rangers are hoping to sign Argentinian prodigy Leo Messi on loan from Barcelona.

Messi was the star of the recent Fifa World Youth Championship in Holland as he helped Argentina beat Nigeria in the final.

The teenager is tipped for greatness but reports suggest that, before he makes his name at Camp Nou, he will gain experience in Glasgow with Rangers.

Speculation suggests that Rangers boss Alex McLeish is aiming to strike a deal to take Messi to Ibrox on a season-long loan.

The capture of such a mercurial young talent would be a major coup for The Gers but it remains to be seen if McLeish can tempt the attacker to the SPL.

He was recently rewarded for his progress at Barcelona with a new contract which ties him to the club until 2010, while his buy-out clause stands at a mind-boggling €150 million.

Messi has also been promoted to the Barca first team from the B team, while the club's sporting director Txiki Beguiristain has ruled out a move for the 18-year-old.

Beguiristain feels the Argentine ace will have a role to play at Camp Nou next season after making his debut last term.

Coach Frank Rijkaard is currently assessing how much involvement Messi will play in the new campaign and could sanction a switch to Rangers if it will benefit his career. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If we manage to pull this one off then I'll be highly impressed icon14.gif

Rangers are hoping to sign Argentinian prodigy Leo Messi on loan from Barcelona.

Messi was the star of the recent Fifa World Youth Championship in Holland as he helped Argentina beat Nigeria in the final.

The teenager is tipped for greatness but reports suggest that, before he makes his name at Camp Nou, he will gain experience in Glasgow with Rangers.

Speculation suggests that Rangers boss Alex McLeish is aiming to strike a deal to take Messi to Ibrox on a season-long loan.

The capture of such a mercurial young talent would be a major coup for The Gers but it remains to be seen if McLeish can tempt the attacker to the SPL.

He was recently rewarded for his progress at Barcelona with a new contract which ties him to the club until 2010, while his buy-out clause stands at a mind-boggling €150 million.

Messi has also been promoted to the Barca first team from the B team, while the club's sporting director Txiki Beguiristain has ruled out a move for the 18-year-old.

Beguiristain feels the Argentine ace will have a role to play at Camp Nou next season after making his debut last term.

Coach Frank Rijkaard is currently assessing how much involvement Messi will play in the new campaign and could sanction a switch to Rangers if it will benefit his career.

i will shoot my load if he signs for a year.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> The curtain came down on the Diego Maradona era in the shirt of Argentina 11 years ago after a 2-1 win over Nigeria.

Now another victory by the same scoreline against the same opponents brings hope that Argentina, in 18-year-old Lionel Messi, have a player capable of making the decisive interventions in a game in the way that Maradona did.

The significant fact is not that Argentina beat Nigeria on Saturday to claim the World Youth Cup in Holland - this, after all, is a competition that Argentina have dominated in recent years.

What makes the 2005 triumph special is that it is the fruit of individual genius. Only 18, Messi practically won the championship on his own.

Diego Simeone pointed out recently that while Argentina produces excellent players, Brazil produces stars - a thought that was on many Argentine minds as those four Brazilian goals went flying in at the final of the Confederations Cup in Frankfurt.

But after Saturday's triumph in which Messi converted two penalties, Argentine football now has its own star.

Messi's contributions in Holland were as decisive, and as thrilling, as that of Diego Maradona in the 1986 World Cup.

Argentina had to get through four tough knockout games to lift the trophy, and against Colombia, Spain, Brazil and Nigeria.

In each game it was the same story. Messi tipped the balance.

In this age of physicality, Messi looks a most unlikely footballer.

He looks more like the pigeon-toed runt of the litter - until he gets the ball.

He has all the skills - fluency and balance, a superb left foot, the ability and confidence to try the unexpected.

He also has a football brain. As Spain coach Inaki Saez said after Messi eliminated his side: "He sees on the pitch what other only see from the stands."

Messi's combination of individual talent, collective sense and cool temperament justify the hope that he will blossom into one of the game's greats.

He has already made the move to one of the giants of European football - in unusual circumstances.

Messi in action for Barcelona

At the age of 13 he went to Spain in search of treatment for a hormonal problem which was preventing his bones from growing properly.

Barcelona were tipped off about his potential, and club stalwart Carlos Rexach went to have a look. "I snapped him up in half a minute," Rexach recalls, "and the first contract was signed symbolically on a serviette."

As he developed at Barca, Messi was offered a place in the Spanish youth side.

He turned it down. "I told them I'm an Argentine, from Rosario, and a leper," he said - referring not to another medical condition but to the nickname of supporters of the Newells Old Boys club.

The pressure will now be on for Messi to be fast-tracked into Argentina's senior side.

National team coach Jose Pekerman has announced his intention to bring Messi along slowly but there is a clear case for taking the youngster to next year's World Cup, if only to gain experience.

Argentina are currently built around the playmaking of Roman Riquelme, a wonderful passer of the ball, who nevertheless has a tendency to blow hot and cold.

After the Confederations Cup Pekerman admitted that he needs to work on some variations to cover those days when Riquelme is blowing cold.

Next year in Germany he would surely be reassured to glance along the substitutes' bench and let his eyes settle on Messi's impish face. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> RANGERS sources have confirmed talks are underway with a "major target" and a signing is expected within 24 hours.

Speculation has linked Gers with an unnamed Argentinian striker, and a loan deal for Manchester United's Kieran Richardson, 20, a recent scoring hit with England after his season-long loan at West Bromwich Albion.

Ibrox chief executive Martin Bain is working on the deal and hopes to conclude business quickly.

As we revealed in SportTimes on May 14, French youngster Dany N'Guessan has been snapped up from Auxerre on a two-year contract.

The 17-year-old, who can play wide left or as an out-and-out striker, came through the famous youth system at the French club. He had a five-day trial at Murray Park and impressed boss Alex McLeish enough to win a contract today.

Dany and new defender Jose Pierre-Fanfan will fly to Canada on Sunday to join the Rangers squad on their pre-season here in Toronto.

And it is believed they will be joined by a third new signing.

Dany is viewed as one for the future, but he has already done enough to be included in McLeish's thoughts with the rest of the kids in the squad here.

Hungarian cap Szabolcs Huszti is also back on the radar and his agent, Sam Stapleton, claimed Rangers are heavily in for the 20-year-old Ferencvaros player.

Huszti is also being tracked by West Brom, who have countryman Zoltan Gera on board, and Panathinaikos. He is believed to prefer a move to Rangers and talks are on-going.

Huszti would cost in the region of £300,000, but the player, who can play anywhere on the left, has been on McLeish's wish list since he scored two goals for Hungary in a friendly win over Scotland at Hampden 18 months ago.

"There is interest from Rangers and he wants to move to a big club," confirmed the Hungarian's agent.

Meanwhile, Maurice Ross could well jet back to England as interest in the right back is stepped up.

Wigan have lined up a £200,000 bid and have bettered the deal being offered by Sheffield Wednesday.

He would prefer a move to Premiership new boys Wigan, who already have a big Scottish contingent.

McLeish will have been boosted by the news that Marvin Andrews came through 90 minutes unscathed in Trinidad and Tobago's 1-1 Gold Cup draw against Honduras.

But the big stopper, who is still continuing to play on through a knee ligament injury, will be thrust back into action again tomorrow when he skippers his country against Panama in Miami.

Rangers have still to confirm who they will play in their first tour game tomorrow night, although a Canadian League select has been lined up.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

• SI Staff

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Rangers have called a media conference to announce the signing of Argentine striker Federico Nieto.

The 22-year-old became a regular with Almagro in April.

He scored eight goals in 11 games as his side battled against relegation in the Argentine top division. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

please get us Richardson and Messi icon_mad.gif although I dont know much about Nieto, some guy (Almagro fan) on a Milan forum has told them to buy him icon_biggrin.gif maybe we could be looking at the next Marco Negri.... icon_wink.gif or Oleg Salenko icon_frown.gif

Guest sav112

Don’t know mate probably just another good acquisition like Dany N'Guessan from Auxerre. So that’s

Leo Messi, Szabolcs Huszti, Federico NIETO but I’d seriously doubt they would class any as

being largely unknown as a major targets but I suspect that they are close to pulling of a good class signing that’s well known.

Colin likes massi him all the same, a bit too much in my view. icon_biggrin.gif

We will see, the old Ibrox machine is in full swing it appears.

icon_cool.gif

Guest sav112

It on the Net

Rangers have signed striker Federico Nieto on loan until January with a view to a permanent deal.

The 21-year-old Argentinian forward arrives at Ibrox from Buenos Aires club, Almagro.

Nieto becomes the latest signing to join the Light Blues following the arrivals of Ian Murray, Brahim Hemdani and Jose-Karl Pierre-Fanfan.

Archived