The Rangers, Champions of Scotland thread: Season 05/06

Ter

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

An interesting decision last night and it can be considered a victory of sorts for the sound Rangers legal argument.

Like the chairman has since said, and Davie Edgar before him, this isn't a ruling to say that Rangers don't have a sectarian problem per se. Of course we do. However, the extent of and what is actually sectarian can be debated and as such it's very difficult for anyone to prove certain stuff without a shadow of a doubt. There is obviously a fine line between offensive and criminal.

I hope Rangers fans do take this opportunity to look at themselves and ask some searching questions. For the most part the majority of our fans do appreciate the problems we have and freely admit them. You never hear any of us on here deflecting or denying the issues we have. Now we have to try and eradicate the offensive stuff - not for our detractors but for ourselves and our future generations.

Moreover, it's now time for the likes of Graham Spiers and the 'independent' parties who reported this to UEFA (we know who you are!) to be more responsible in their lives. Condemning something is all well and good but if this isn't done constructively then it only serves to build divides and make the problem worse.

Education is the key here and for this disease to be cured we need all parties working with each other - not against and in a selfish manner like the people who reported this!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Fat Bhoy Tim:

I remember last season it took the Rangers supporting mods about 30 seconds to change the title of both Old Firm topics after the title was decided.

Why the delay this year guys? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I love conspiracies.

Who are these Rangers supporting OTF mods? We should be told so we can welcome them into the fold without fear of further mischief-making and suggestions of bias from the establishment fans.

SI better watch out, the unhappy guys will get the corduroy crusader himself, Graham Spiers, round. Hope you have good double-glazing.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Fat Bhoy Tim:

I remember last season it took the Rangers supporting mods about 30 seconds to change the title of both Old Firm topics after the title was decided.

Talking *****, mate. Don't know about the Celtic thread, but we never had the Champions bit in the title until the end of June when the one for this season was started. Check the Rangers 04/05 thread in the HoF.

I wouldn't go so far to say it was a punding.

Davie, as usual (and this time having the same priviledge as being in the studio as Spiers), was fair, honest, articulate and dignified without resorting to any petty oneupmanship.

Hopefully Graham Spiers might try to be the same with his future reporting. I won't hold my breath.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">An apology has been issued to Rangers keeper Ronald Waterreus following the misinterpretation of some of his comments to Dutch magazine Voetbal International.

The Gers star had to endure jeers from some of his own supporters during the win against Motherwell, but The Sun have now accepted that their translation of his interview was an unfair representation of his opinions.

It had been reported that the former Manchester City shot-stopper was strongly critical of the club and his team-mates for letting departing boss Alex McLeish down.

Waterreus was still selected for the clash with 'Well and performed superbly, drawing praise from all quarters.

"He can have his opinions if he likes," said team-mate Steven Smith. "But that's the way he is - that's the man he is - but he showed why he is here.

"Ronald's always Ronald.

"He gets on great with everybody, and we are just happy to have him at this club."

Manager McLeish backed his keeper and offered an insight into the matter.

"Fans don't like what they read but I'm not at liberty to speak about this because it's in the hands of the club's lawyers," explained the Ibrox boss.

"They have felt they have read something that has done Ronald a disservice, to be honest, because we have seen the Dutch transcript."

Rangers are aiming to overtake Hearts in the SPL table as the season reaches its climax. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hopefully, with this and the UEFA stuff cleared up, fans and players can pull together and make it a positive, exciting end to the season. icon14.gif

Agree completely, everybody should be focusing on catching up with Hearts now, we can bitch and moan about things later, the only thing that matters for us now are the games until the end of the season.

'Mon the Gers!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Bayern Munich midfielder Bastian Schweinsteiger has poured cold water over reports he has been approached by Scottish club Rangers regarding a potential transfer.

The 21-year-old, one of Germany's bright young talents, insists there has been no contact with the Glasgow giants and reaffirmed his commitment to his current club.

"No-one (from Rangers) has spoken to me," Schweinsteiger said.

"I like the atmosphere over there but I also love Bayern and have to say that I have a very long deal with them."

Schweinsteiger, who should be part of Germany's squad for this summer's World Cup, admitted he could be tempted by a move to England - but only in the distant future.

"Yes, but I am only 21 and want to do well with Bayern," he added. "As long as we're winning, I'm happy."

General manager Uli Hoeness has insisted his talented midfielder is not for sale.

"If somebody came to us, I would say 'Let's have a nice dinner' but I would tell them there is no chance," said Hoeness, who is unaware of any interest from Rangers.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Like we didn't already know icon_biggrin.gif

Posted minutes after Celtic won the league;

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Haz:

If thae thread titles arny changed within 3 minutes it's a conspiracy I tell ye icon_mad.gif

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

And sure as eggs is eggs....

icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gary Toner:Posted 07 February 2006

In other news I joined the RST, Frankie will be proud *weeps* </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

2 months and still waiting icon15.gif

Gary, unfortunately as has been posted on FF many times, the delay in membership packs being sent out is outwith our control.

There is a market shortage of share certificates so despite our best attempths at sourcing these elsewhere, new members may have to wait a few months on their certificate.

If you want your membership pack though, contact us through the site and we'll sort it for you.

Cheers.

No probs mate. Questions are always welcome.

Joanne, our secretary, really does a superb and thankless job. A lot of people don't realise the amount of work that goes on in the background for such a voluntary organisation and it's not always easy to fir everyday life around our RST work... icon_wink.gif

We usually send the packs ou in batches anyway. It's less costly and more efficient to do this, but does mean it's not strictly a super-quick service.

It's only going to get busier in the next few weeks. Our profile is getting bigger and better all the time and with Sharesave imminent, the future is certainly bright.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Frankie:

I wouldn't go so far to say it was a punding.

Davie, as usual (and this time having the same priviledge as being in the studio as Spiers), was fair, honest, articulate and dignified without resorting to any petty oneupmanship.

Hopefully Graham Spiers might try to be the same with his future reporting. I won't hold my breath. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The best part was when the debate reached Neil Lennon and his DOB remark.

Spiers: "I did condemn Lennon"

Edgar: "You said it was foolish"

Spiers: "So foolish isn't condemning?"

Edgar: "Ok, I think fans who use the F word are foolish."

Brilliant, and showed up Spiers' hypocrisy in an instant.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Frankie:

Now I believe that's called ownage. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hardly Frankie icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

Talking *****, mate. Don't know about the Celtic thread, but we never had the Champions bit in the title until the end of June when the one for this season was started. Check the Rangers 04/05 thread in the HoF. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Fact still remains, we had our thread title edited within hours of the title changing hands.

However I'm still finding it funny that anyone actually bothered to respond icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Haz:

If thae thread titles arny changed within 3 minutes it's a conspiracy I tell ye icon_mad.gif

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Umm. Duh icon_biggrin.gif

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Umm. Duh icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

oh sure, the old "pretending i was being ironic" schtick

However I'm still finding it funny that anyone actually bothered to respond icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Similarly, I found it amusing that someone bothered writing it in the first place.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by McD:

However I'm still finding it funny that anyone actually bothered to respond icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Similarly, I found it amusing that someone bothered writing it in the first place. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Speculate to accumulate

• SI Staff

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Fact still remains, we had our thread title edited within hours of the title changing hands </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Rubbish

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Rangers are considering a move for France Under-21 goalkeeper Steve Mandanda, presently with Le Havre. (France Football)

Le Havre are accusing Rangers of tapping goalkeeper Steve Mandanda. (Daily Express)

Uefa bosses are set to appeal against their own football court's decision to clear Rangers fans of chanting sectarian abuse. (The Herald, The Sun) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

All from the gossip column.

Personally I'd rather they kept Klos on and spent money on outfield players although for all I know this keeper could be absolutely amazing.

I can't see how UEFA can turn round and appeal now. What punishment are they going to hand out if they're appeal is succesful, especially as they've just come out today and declared bigotry to be a problem throughout scottish football.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ter:

How the hell can they appeal their own decision? icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Never question Uefa's loonacy icon15.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I can't see how UEFA can turn round and appeal now. What punishment are they going to hand out if they're appeal is succesful, especially as they've just come out today and declared bigotry to be a problem throughout scottish football. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

it's absolute rubbish, just Britney and Leckie clutching at straws due to t heir rage of us getting off with it

UEFA have said that it's a national problem, therefore they dont have anything to do with us now as they arent investigating us anymore

if you watched Scotsport Fanzone last night, you'd have seen how fuming Spew Keevins, Britney and Leckie were at the idea of us getting the fine for the window icon14.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Vidmar:

Leckies column was an awesome read on wed, he was basically greeting icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

When has he written a column where he hasn't had a whinge about the OF or Hearts ?! He confuses controversial writing with waffle. He should stick to 'supporting' the Buddies with Chick Young

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Vidmar:

Leckies column was an awesome read on wed, he was basically greeting icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bit like a thread not so far from here where there's been some hilarious chip on the shoulder stuff going on

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ter:

How the hell can they appeal their own decision? icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

They've got some department within themselves that if someone feels it's unfair then they will appeal it against themselves absolute madness though.

Bit like a thread not so far from here where there's been some hilarious chip on the shoulder stuff going on </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Can't be this one with all the people having TWO chips! icon_biggrin.gif

Team against Aberdeen -

Wattereus

Hutton

Rodriguez

Soti

Smith

Burke

Hemdani

Ferguson

Buffel

Prso

Boyd

Subs:-

Novo, Murray, both Raes, Campbell, Andrews, Klos

Stream should be here

As someone mentioned earlier, tricky fixture today. We'll have to be better than last week to take three points.

Archived