The Rangers, Champions of Scotland thread: Season 05/06

Ter

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good article by Jim duffy here, i am by no means sticking up for the FTP brigade and don't think a football match is the place for ANY type of sectariansim in this day and age, the sooner it stops the better (and puts Spiers and McNee out fo a job)

UEFA joke not getting any funnier as they ignore the bigger issues

======================================

UEFA would infuriate me if they weren't so laughable. There they are getting all high and mighty about some "discriminatory chants" allegedly made by Rangers supporters yet when they have the opportunity to tackle the bigger problem of racism in the likes of Spain, they hand out a derisory fine that couldn't even be construed as a slap on the wrists.

Now, I haven't seen the dossier allegedly compiled by UEFA highlighting the perceived injustices but I'm guessing there wasn't a player so reviled by whatever the fans were singing that they wanted to leave the field, as Barcelona's Samuel Eto'o tried to do as a result of racist abuse in a recent match against Real Zaragoza. The fact his team-mates said they would have followed him off the pitch underlines how bad that issue is getting there.

In 2004, soccer's anti-violence committee announced a series of measures, including five-year stadium bans and fines of up to €60,000 against fans guilty of racist behaviour, while Spain's secretary of state for sport, Jaime Lissavetzky, got the federation, clubs and players' unions to sign a grand-sounding Protocol Against Racism, Xenophobia and Intolerance in Soccer.

Yet, instead of banning the fans or dishing out the kind of punishment that would force Real Zaragoza to get their own house in order, the club was fined €9,000 and the Spanish authorities still refuse to accept that racism is a major problem in their game.

Don't get me wrong, I am not trying to make light of bigotry or pretend that sectarian behaviour is acceptable in civilised society, but look around Europe at all the other problems - the fact Atletico Bilbao will only sign Basque players is surely discriminatory against everyone else, or what about clubs in the former Yugoslavia, where racism and bigotry is part and parcel of their signing practice?

At least Rangers are trying to address the problems posed by a section of their support. David Murray has done so much to try to break down religious barriers. He allowed Graeme Souness to sign Mo Johnston and has launched a number of initiatives and made public his disdain of bigoted behaviour. There is no sectarian signing policy and fans have been banned by the club for behaviour that was deemed unacceptable.

I remember the days when the intros to certain songs were played over the loudspeakers at Ibrox and then turned down to let the fans sing the rest. That doesn't happen any longer. Rangers have done so much to combat the problem and while more must be done, UEFA don't need to stick their noses in. David Murray is determined and more than capable of seeing this thing through himself.

It's the equivalent of police hounding a guy on probation for nicking sweeties instead of going out and catching the murderers. If everything else in the garden was rosy then, OK, let them clamp down on the clubs with sectarian fans - and Rangers are by no means the only offenders in Europe, let alone Scotland - but it's not, and I for one would prefer to see them tackling the bigger issues before they start flexing muscle over this one.

The other laughable factor in all this is the fact that the behaviour of Rangers fans breaches UEFA's strict Fair Play code of conduct. They have a d**n cheek. Watch top level football and there is no such thing as fair play. All that matters is winning and winning at all costs. That's what UEFA need to address.

We see kids walking out hand in hand with the players, there are special flags, t-shirts and players are asked to hold up cards at times, all extolling the merits of fair play but then the match starts and we have players diving all over the place, following the command of managers who tell them to waste time, or get opposition players booked. There are players writhing around in agony yet television replays showed there was absolutely no contact.

Maybe UEFA should sort out the bad boys on the pitch and get their own house in order before they start wielding torches and pitchforks and marching to the doors of clubs who, yes, historically have had a problem with sectarianism and bigotry, but are very publicly trying to tackle the issue and doing a pretty good job of it considering it will take time to wipe out something that has been inherent in our culture, never mind our football, for more than 100 years.

If UEFA want to take action from the Villarreal v Rangers game, then maybe they should be attacking the Spanish side's goalkeeper, whose actions discriminated against any decent football fans and who made a mockery of the Fair Play motto.

As I've said, sectarianism is not something to be condoned but UEFA are setting a dangerous precedent. Because views vary on what is discriminatory.

If UEFA had previously issued a warning stating that a particular chant or song would be liable to punishment and Rangers had been aware of that and the fans had still belted it out then OK, but, as far as I am aware, that's not the case.

If the chants were about the Pope perhaps that discriminates against people who like the Pope (and remember not everyone in this world does, not even every Catholic!) but where does it stop? Virtually all songs could be considered discriminatory to someone (even if it's just the opposition supporters or perhaps a certain player's wife or family). If the Dambusters tune is played at a ground is that discriminating against all Germans? Maybe UEFA should compile a list of tunes and chants which are acceptable - their own Top 40.

As I said, it's a joke. But that's UEFA. Instead of tackling issues like racism, I'm just awaiting the day they make it compulsory to join in the dreaded Mexican Wave.

i agree with a lot of that. although <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

It's the equivalent of police hounding a guy on probation for nicking sweeties instead of going out and catching the murderers. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> is a terrible metaphor

it's because club from small nation = soft target.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ter:

Hatem Ben Arfa (loan)

Juninho

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Couple more for your list there, Vidmar.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Vidmar:

Heres a better list :

<STRIKE>1 GK Grégory Coupet </STRIKE>

3 DF Cris

<STRIKE>4 DF Patrick Müller </STRIKE>

5 DF Caçapa

6 MF Jérémy Clément

7 MF Mahamadou Diarra

<STRIKE>8 MF Juninho </STRIKE>

9 FW John Carew

10 MF Florent Malouda

11 FW Fred

12 DF Anthony Réveillère

13 FW Pierre-Alain Frau (on loan to RC Lens)

<STRIKE>14 FW Sidney Govou </STRIKE>

15 DF Lamine Diatta

<STRIKE>18 FW Hatem Ben Arfa </STRIKE>

19 FW Karim Benzema

20 DF Eric Abidal

21 MF Tiago Mendes

22 FW Sylvain Wiltord

23 DF Jérémy Berthod

24 DF Sylvain Monsoreau

25 GK Joan Hartock

26 MF Benoít Pedretti

27 DF Johann Truchet (on loan to Stade de Reims)

<STRIKE>30 GK Rémy Vercoutre</STRIKE>

31 DF François Clerc

34 FW Julien Viale (on loan to FC Istres)

35 GK Rémy Riou

36 DF Alexis Genet

4 out of 29 and he hasnt been announced as manager yet. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Now 6 out of 29.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Stan petrov:

Juninho icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You'd think, after recent developments, folk would be less quick to so wholeheartedly mock unlikely appointments at Ibrox.

But, do carry on.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Hairy Coo:

Is it safe to come back yet ? icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_biggrin.gif take it you enjoyed the game then

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dm_gers:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Hairy Coo:

Is it safe to come back yet ? icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_biggrin.gif take it you enjoyed the game then </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Immensely icon_rolleyes.gificon_wink.gificon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by McD:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Stan petrov:

You'd think, after recent developments, folk would be less quick to so wholeheartedly mock unlikely appointments at Ibrox.

But, do carry on. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

you expecting Juninho to join Rangers then? icon_biggrin.gif

Le Guen was unemployed for a start, Juninho has a place in the Brazilian squad to think about, he kisses that goodbye as soon as he plays a game in the SPL. He's far too good as well, and the 10 million transfer budget wouldnt be enough to buy him. Im shocked someone got serious about that...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by McD:

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Aye, that's exactly what I'm implying. No fooling your, sir. icon14.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by GP1873:

Anyone here the talk of Zizou joining? icon_wink.gif Whos need him when we have Boab "Spray it aboot" Zidane icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

the whole of France will be linked in the summer icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TM:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by GP1873:

Anyone here the talk of Zizou joining? icon_wink.gif Whos need him when we have Boab "Spray it aboot" Zidane icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

the whole of France will be linked in the summer icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Franck Sauzee's over the British Channel as we speak.

Le Guen was unemployed for a start, Juninho has a place in the Brazilian squad to think about, he kisses that goodbye as soon as he plays a game in the SPL. He's far too good as well, and the 10 million transfer budget wouldnt be enough to buy him. Im shocked someone got serious about that... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I certainly don't expect Juninho in a blue jersey any time soon.

But I'm sure when Le Guen was first touted, some people would have said similar.

Smashing read this...

Rangers get their man

DARREN TULETT

AT LONG last they have come clean! The rumours can cease. After much flirtation, Paul Le Guen and Rangers have finally made their relationship public. Tied the knot, so to speak. I'm convinced it's a match made in heaven and they will both live happily ever after - or for a good while at least, in this unstable world of football management. I must admit, though, that a part of me is sad to see him go.

We at Canal Plus TV in France knew that Paul would only be with us for 12 months, the time to recharge his batteries after leading Lyon to three straight French league titles. We knew that this talented manager would be targeted by clubs around the continent and that it would only be a matter of time before he chose his next destination. But he has been such a revelation on our Sunday night L'Equipe du Dimanche show (a sort of European Match of the Day), serving up lashings of wise insight and analysis and revealing his dry, incisive wit, that it will be something of a wrench to see him go.

Don't be fooled by his modest, under- stated style. Paul is diligent, hard-working and a bit of a perfectionist. He has wowed us with his encyclopedic knowledge of European football, and once you engage him in conversation you quickly realise that here is a man who watches a ton of matches. He knows his stuff.

Paul first told me of the interest from Rangers back in the autumn, when we were in Manchester to cover a Champions League game. I made him speak English for the next two hours while I showed him around the city, just to get an idea of his linguistic skills. While he still has progress to make, I can reassure Rangers supporters that on a scale going from Jacques Santini to Arsene Wenger, Paul is closer to the latter. And he is a quick learner. His English is already good, but, knowing Paul, he'll no doubt be brushing up his level in the weeks to come. Not that he'll be shouting that from the rooftops. Paul is renowned for his discretion, for keeping his counsel as well as his word.

In the face of intense media speculation and mounting pressure from club chairman Jean-Michel Aulas over the last six months of his three-year stint with Lyon, Paul stuck to his guns and refused to discuss his contractual situation (would he or wouldn't he be leaving at the end of the season?) until that third consecutive league title was wrapped up. Even his faithful No.2, the excellent Yves Colleu, claimed to be in the dark right up until the end. Those desperately seeking a fresh quote from Paul over the past few weeks should take heed. When he fixes himself a line of conduct, he sticks to it.

Paul has, up to now, refused to discuss the Rangers position out of respect for Alex McLeish, and he'll probably keep his thoughts to himself for some time yet. He did the same thing last year, declining to reveal his intentions even on the night Lyon sealed the French crown. In hilarious television scenes played out live from the giant bath in the Lyon dressing-room, Paul, who had been thrown in head-first by his celebrating players, sat up in the water in his soaked suit and tie to respond to questions from an equally wet interviewer. No, he explained, trying to remain sober among the havoc being played out all around him, he couldn't say what decision he had made until he had first confided in Aulas. Respectful to the end, even while wearing a suit in a bath.

During those final months at Lyon, Aulas tried every trick in the book to persuade his young coach to extend his tenure - including very public flattery. Aulas repeatedly compared Paul favourably with managers at top European clubs before settling on the man most in France think he resembles. "Why am I so keen to convince Paul to stay with us? Because in him I have the future Arsene Wenger", Aulas liked to say. Lyon now have the former Liverpool boss, Gerard Houllier, in charge, leaving Rangers with the future Wenger. I can understand the comparison. Paul, too, has a reputation for bringing the best out of his players and leaving them a certain amount of freedom of expression. His teams have played attacking, flowing football, not unlike Wenger's Arsenal. Paul, though, is a pragmatist. He'll work with what he has, moulding his own style, and will never ask players to do anything they can't. He likes to work with a squad of 18 or 19 senior pros, with up to half a dozen youngsters that have come up through the ranks included in the first-team plans. But he's no sentimentalist. They have to be good enough to play to make the squad. And in his quiet, unassuming way, he'll make it clear who's boss. Just ask Michael Essien, who last season was obliged to fill in at centre back for Lyon when injuries struck in spite of his very public dislike for the position.

I've noticed that some in Scotland are questioning Paul's motivation for joining Rangers. I've read he's just in it for the money, and sees Scotland as a stepping stone to England's Premiership. While I can't claim to be inside his head, I can show a couple of examples to suggest those claims are ill-founded. For a start, were he a money-seeker, he had only to take the much more lucrative contract Lyon were offering him this time last year, or accept the buckets of cash on offer from Dynamo Moscow at the end of last year. Also, he wouldn't have gone so close last summer to joining Bordeaux, where he would have earned less than at Lyon.

In recent months, Paul has also turned down offers from, among others, Benfica, Dynamo Kiev, Fenerbahce, Lazio, Olympiakos, Paris Saint-Germain and Stuttgart. He was looking for a stimulating challenge, but on his terms. He didn't want to take over from anybody mid-season. He wanted time to be able to plan for the campaign ahead. And, crucially, he wanted a club that shared his ambition, showed faith in him and was stable, well-run. I think he has found all that at Rangers, where he has been very impressed with chairman David Murray and the club's chief executive, Martin Bain. For Paul, the people he has to work with are of utmost importance.

Paul is a quiet, reflective man. A deep thinker about the game and a pertinent analyst. He has become very popular on our show thanks to his concise, lucid explanations and comments on the continent's top leagues. And perhaps the regular TV punditry has helped him with his timidity. Paul is a reserved man, aleit one with a dry sense of humour.

On the Sunday show he generally leaves the gags to others, but he showed his quick wit and sharpness last week after an impromptu question from the programme's host. Our resident Italian, Alessandra Bianchi, had just told the tale of 11 Napoli fans who had taken Italy's football federation to court over last year's decision to demote the club to Serie C following a series of scandals and mysterious goings-on that only Italian football could have come up with. The fans, claiming to have suffered "existential problems" since the decision, won the case and the judge awarded each of them €1,000 in compensation. After Bianchi wondered aloud what would happen if all the other Napoli fans went to court, presenter Hervé Mathoux turned to Paul for a quick reaction. "I'm a Napoli supporter," Paul dead-panned, with impeccable comic timing.

As I said above, I'm sure that the Rangers-Le Guen ticket is a winning one. I'm convinced he will do well in Scottish football. And I hope you enjoy having him as much as we at Canal Plus have.

• Darren Tulett covers British football for Canal Plus's showcase Sunday night show L'Equipe du Dimanche

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dm_gers:

I was watching Nacho Novo on Rangers World there saying he doesn't want to go back to Spain and he wants to stay with us for the rest of his contract icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nacho's never going to be a world-beater, and this season's been terribly disappointing for him, but a clean slate with a new coach might bring out the best of him next year. Correct me if I'm wrong, but, at Lyon, Le Guen played with three up front - a strong, target man with two pacey winger-cum-strikers - so, dependant on how the boss wants to approach things in Scotland, Novo might suit that style well.

At times on Saturday, when he got hold of the ball, there was a hint of the player we saw last year, so I wouldn't totally discount him at the moment.

so Burke and Lovenkrands on the wings maybe? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sounds alright to me, although Burke still needs to work a bit on finishing the ball. All depends on what personnell comes in during the summer of course.

so Burke and Lovenkrands on the wings maybe? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sounds alright to me, although Burke still needs to work a bit on finishing the ball. All depends on what personnell comes in during the summer of course. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep of course but main priority would be for me sorting out the defence and someone for Barry to work with in the centre of midfield and also a keeper

Certainly wouldn't have Lovenkrands out wide ever again.

However, Prso has played well on the left lately, so maybe he'd be a decent answer.

However, we must buy a left-sided player anyway. Someone like Kallstrom would be a great signing.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Hagi [romania kick ass]:

positining, angel making, and movement </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Along with his pace, I'd say those things were better parts of his game, especially when playing up front and not hugging a touch line, feared of going past a man.

At the end of the day, Le Guen will have a very firm idea of what type of player he needs for his system, so if Lovenkrands doesn't fit into that, he'll be punted.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Frankie:

Certainly wouldn't have Lovenkrands out wide ever again. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Still think the left hand side midfielder of a 4-4-2 is very different to the left hand striker of a 4-3-3, Frankie, so I personally wouldn't rule out that possibility entirely.

I feel asthough when outwide he just doesnt know how to create an angle to get rid of a player, opr recieve a through ball.

It's fair enough hugging the touchline, but when you hug the line in the most ridiculous positions possible, you are never going to get the ball, or have an impact on the game.

Yes, i would agree that his movement and positioning is far better through the middle.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Hagi [romania kick ass]:

Also, that position would require him to drop back into the midfield at times. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hm, at times, yeah.

As I said, Le Guen will know better than anyone which players he wants to fit in where, and we are all, to an extent, basing our judgement on the current squad dependant on how and where they've played according to McLeish.

Like Novo, and some others (Hemdani? Buffel? FanFan even?), I think we're all looking for players to be more effectively employed next season (and to perform with more hunger, of course), so it would be hasty to rule out pretty much anything at the moment.

Sort of relevant to what we've been speaking about...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Murray warns of Le Guen clear-out

Rangers chairman David Murray has warned the club's players they could be on the way out of Ibrox if they fail to impress in the remainder of the season.

Murray says new manager Paul Le Guen will be allowed to make whatever changes he deems necessary.

"Every manager sees different things in different players, so it's fair to say there will be changes," said Murray.

"How many is up to Paul, dependent on how the players play until the end of the season," he told Rangers World.

"There is no doubt in my mind a manager can plan and prepare early after getting notice to go to a club.

"This will be beneficial to us. We are announcing it many months before he starts, but Paul will be working far earlier.

"He will be preparing, analysing the team, working out what is required and then letting the players at Rangers know at the right time if they are not needed.

"Every single player at Rangers knows now that, not only do they have to work hard for Alex to let him go out on a high, it's crucial they prove to the supporters and to the new manager they really want to be part of this new era at Rangers."

Murray believes he has pulled off a significant coup by appointing the former Lyon manager.

"You've always got this dichotomy whether you go with a domestic or foreign manager," he added.

"That doesn't come into it. He is the best man for the job and the club at this time as Alex McLeish and Dick Advocaat were at the time.

"He is young, vibrant, has good experience and good thoughts on the game and he is the envy of many other clubs.

"At the end of last season, when he retired from Lyon, he was offered the Lazio, the Olympiakos and the Auxerre jobs.

"He turned those down and then two months into the season he was offered the job to go to Monaco, after Didier Deschamps went, and then he was offered other jobs. The timing wasn't right - which suited us.

"We showed patience and integrity in dealing with him.

"We saw that he wasn't going to be hustled into the job and he had so many boxes to tick in his own mind.

"He saw where his children had to grow up and decide if his family would be happy.

"When we signed the contract a fortnight ago I was very relieved.

"I travelled twice and Martin (chief executive Bain) travelled four or five times to meet him so that was six or seven meetings face to face and numerous phone calls.

"It was never about money with Paul as during those meetings we explained what the situation was.

"We explained what the package was, the budget we could afford and that was sorted out very quickly.

"Paul has not come because he couldn't make better money elsewhere but because he saw Rangers as a big club, a big challenge and he really wanted to come." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Vidmar:

Heres a better list :

<STRIKE>1 GK Grégory Coupet </STRIKE>

3 DF Cris

<STRIKE>4 DF Patrick Müller </STRIKE>

5 DF Caçapa

6 MF Jérémy Clément

<STRIKE>7 MF Mahamadou Diarra </STRIKE>

<STRIKE>8 MF Juninho </STRIKE>

9 FW John Carew

10 MF Florent Malouda

11 FW Fred

12 DF Anthony Réveillère

13 FW Pierre-Alain Frau (on loan to RC Lens)

<STRIKE>14 FW Sidney Govou </STRIKE>

15 DF Lamine Diatta

<STRIKE>18 FW Hatem Ben Arfa </STRIKE>

19 FW Karim Benzema

20 DF Eric Abidal

21 MF Tiago Mendes

22 FW Sylvain Wiltord

23 DF Jérémy Berthod

24 DF Sylvain Monsoreau

25 GK Joan Hartock

<STRIKE>26 MF Benoít Pedretti</STRIKE>

27 DF Johann Truchet (on loan to Stade de Reims)

<STRIKE>30 GK Rémy Vercoutre</STRIKE>

31 DF François Clerc

34 FW Julien Viale (on loan to FC Istres)

35 GK Rémy Riou

36 DF Alexis Genet

4 out of 29 and he hasnt been announced as manager yet. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

cheers gaz!

Archived