The Rangers, Champions of Scotland thread: Season 05/06

Ter

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Hagi [romania kick ass]:

For the love of god.

The last couple of posts have been a joy to read. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good addition to the debate. icon14.gif

At least for those who were depressed that Sunday was poor quality, Anfield tonight is proving positively suicidal! icon_frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by GingerFurball:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Stan petrov:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Frankie:

Aye, conclusive proof that Petrov doesn't dive... Nae wonder he's laughing.

Petrov from Sunday

PS: Re: The other incidents I hasn't seen, I have now seen them on TV. Hartson didn't touch Soti and Soti should have been booked for disgracefully diving.

The Keane challenge is slightly more dubious. Cynical, very late and could easily have been a red card. But like Frank said, if a red card was given every time for that then it would be 5 a side. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Your having a giraffe, how is it a red card? icon_rolleyes.gif

He's nowhere near goal, it wasnt particularly dangerous, and you dont get sent off for being late. icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Because there's absolutely no attempt to play the ball whatsoever. If he'd made a bad challenge going for the ball, then arguing for a red card would be ridiculous - but cynical fouls like Keane's have to be stamped out some how - sending him off wouldn't have been the worst decision in the world.

And are you still claiming that Petrov doesn't dive? I'm stuck as to which dive was worse - his or Kyrgiakos' </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, Im not claiming that. What Im claiming is he doesnt fall like a girl when someone almost lands him with a slap, or brushes his leg against him, unlike a few Rangers players in the recent past ie. You cant slag Petrov when your teams full of divers icon14.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FrankJJ:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Hagi [romania kick ass]:

For the love of god.

The last couple of posts have been a joy to read. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good addition to the debate. icon14.gif

At least for those who were depressed that Sunday was poor quality, Anfield tonight is proving positively suicidal! icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

was just thinking that myself, at least there was a goal in the OF game icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Stan petrov:

No, Im not claiming that. What Im claiming is he doesnt fall like a girl when someone almost lands him with a slap, or brushes his leg against him, unlike a few Rangers players in the recent past ie. You cant slag Petrov when your teams full of divers icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

stand up man, ffs! icon_wink.gif

• SI Staff

The other day you were saying Petrov NEVER dives though. Sure, loads of players dive and it's something that should be stamped out by giving players yellow cards for diving based on video evidence.

If we did that Petrov would never get a game.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ter:

The other day you were saying Petrov NEVER dives though. Sure, loads of players dive and it's something that should be stamped out by giving players yellow cards for diving based on video evidence.

If we did that Petrov would never get a game. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree with that sentiment but in all honesty then you'd be missing 3 players, we'd probably lose Maloney as well even though he's just a wee boy, Hearts wouldn't have a captain, Motherwell wouldn't have a forward and Porto wouldn't have a team. icon_wink.gif

(Thought I'd mention Porto to keep the Edinbuggerers content icon_cool.gif )

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ter:

And neither would Prso or Lovenkrands.

Right, it looked bad when I said that, only for Stan to do that the very next game icon_biggrin.gif

But he doesnt dive often enough to be labelled a diver though, and his ability should be applauded before his diving is reprimanded.

Prso

Lovenkrands

Ferguson ( done it in the OF game there, no-one mentioned it)

Kyrgiakos

Novo

need I go on?

• SI Staff

Neither of them dive with as much regularity as Petrov though. Prso does go down very easily for a big fella and Lovenkrands does dive every now and again but I wouldn't say they have the same reputation as 'divers' like Petrov has. Maybe I'm just biased. Where's E_R? icon_biggrin.gif

the worst diver of the lot is that Boruc guy, always falling over in the box.

seriously though, this conversation is nonsense, there are equal offenders on each team. For Soti's faint, see Petrov's spectacularly delayed stumble. For Prso's well everything, see Maloney. For Lovenkrands, see McGeady. etc etc

It's a pointless argument, both are as bad as each other and it's got nothing to do with either team. Fifa aren't doing a thing to stamp it out, and its clearly an effective tactic, so why not?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">But he doesnt dive often enough to be labelled a diver though, and his ability should be applauded before his diving is reprimanded. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Petrov is one of the few "class" players left in the SPL that could do a job in the big leagues in Europe I reckon, but he's still the biggest diver out of the two teams - I reckon most neutral fans (ie, non-OF) fans would say that he is

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Stephen Wilson:

seriously though, this conversation is nonsense, there are equal offenders on each team. For Soti's faint, see Petrov's spectacularly delayed stumble. For Prso's well everything, see Maloney. For Lovenkrands, see McGeady. etc etc

It's a pointless argument, both are as bad as each other and it's got nothing to do with either team. Fifa aren't doing a thing to stamp it out, and its clearly an effective tactic, so why not? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Indeed, common sense speaks.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TM:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">But he doesnt dive often enough to be labelled a diver though, and his ability should be applauded before his diving is reprimanded. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Petrov is one of the few "class" players left in the SPL that could do a job in the big leagues in Europe I reckon, but he's still the biggest diver out of the two teams - I reckon most neutral fans (ie, non-OF) fans would say that he is </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

How do you label him the 'biggest' - through how well he does it, or how much he does it? what?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TM:

Petrov is one of the few "class" players left in the SPL that could do a job in the big leagues in Europe I reckon, but he's still the biggest diver out of the two teams - I reckon most neutral fans (ie, non-OF) fans would say that he is </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's funny that Prso is the one that gets booked for diving, twice in Euro2004, once in Europe this season and once in the SPL this season, but yeh Petrov does go down a bit 'easily', his technique must be slightly better than Prso's hence the lack of bookings.

BTW, I don't think my post was meant to be taken as Celtic players dive, Rangers players don't. Of course we have a few players who do this. Every team does.

It was just a post to make that very point clear and to show that no-one can go on about one player trying to cheat at the weekend, when another player was just as bad.

IMO, in the same way video evidence is used to discipline elbows, kicks and spitting; it could be used after the fact to penalise divers such as Soti and Petrov.

Behaviour like those 2 players of the weekend is embarrassing and shouldn't be tolerated.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Stephen Wilson:

It's a pointless argument, both are as bad as each other and it's got nothing to do with either team. Fifa aren't doing a thing to stamp it out, and its clearly an effective tactic, so why not? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Completely agree with that.

If the refs started booking more players for doing it then it would have to stop, simple.

Diving is a disease that is poisoning the game in the last 3 or 4 years- referess need to clamp down on it but it is not easy to spot in real time and dead easy with an action replay- there have been lots of instances where the ref has tried to clamp down and got it wrong so in my view the authorities should use instant replays and charge the offenders. It is a bit like dissent which is also rife- the players do it because their Managers do it and they all get away with it.

Read Brian Clough's biography and he said he didn't allow dissent and anyone showing dissent got fined and didn't play the next week- simple but effective!. What is the point of dissent anyway- how many times has a ref changed his mind?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

Read Brian Clough's biography and he said he didn't allow dissent and anyone showing dissent got fined and didn't play the next week- simple but effective!. What is the point of dissent anyway- how many times has a ref changed his mind? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If I remember correctly Cletic have a system like this implemented for the under 18's and reserve teams. If any player gets booked for dissent then they are imediately subsituted.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Anton:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

Read Brian Clough's biography and he said he didn't allow dissent and anyone showing dissent got fined and didn't play the next week- simple but effective!. What is the point of dissent anyway- how many times has a ref changed his mind? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If I remember correctly Cletic have a system like this implemented for the under 18's and reserve teams. If any player gets booked for dissent then they are imediately subsituted. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

All fine in theory, but what happens when a 4th player gets booked for dissent?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Villarreal chief scout Javier Cabello, has attacked Rangers' rearguard ahead of their Champions League showdown next week at Ibrox.

He was speaking as captain Quique Alvarez was ruled out with a muscle tear during their 1-0 defeat by Celta Vigo at the weekend.

"The Rangers defence, especially the centre halves Kyrgiakos and Andrews, are very weak and too slow.

"While they are good in the air, we can take advantage of them," he said.

Cabello, who attended Sunday's Old Firm encounter, is clearly confident ahead of next Wednesday's Ibrox clash and is encouraged by the fact that Alex McLeish's side are under-performing in the Scottish Premier League.

"We score a lot of goals from set-pieces and will try to hurt them when we are playing near their penalty box," he said.

"I have to say that the Rangers players look to be low on morale.

"It seems Rangers run out of ideas and have a mental block when they try to take the initiative."

Amid his frank assessment, Cabello was full of praise for Chris Burke on his recent spying missions, while hinting that the winger could prosper elsewhere in the future.

"I saw Rangers against Aberdeen and Celtic and the player who really caught my eye was Chris Burke," he said.

"He has everything and I expect him to have a tremendous future. I have no doubts about this.

"It was exciting for me to see him taking the ball and trying to go forward. Rangers have a real prospect.

"I will not be surprised if this boy ends up playing for a big club very soon."

Meanwhile, it has been reported that the Villarreal players locked their own coach out of a crisis meeting as they search for ways to reverse their poor form ahead of the Rangers game.

The Spanish side were given a boost though, as playmaker Juan Riquelme looks set to win his fitness battle, wherehis absence having coincided with a slump in domestic form.

Midfielder Riquelme has responded well to treatment in Buenos Aires and is expected to make the journey to Glasgow. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Burkey \o/ icon_cool.gif more people who realise that Marv/Soti are a weak link, too bad Eck hasnt seen it though

Midfielder Riquelme has responded well to treatment in Buenos Aires and is expected to make the journey to Glasgow. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by deerokus:

i can see you getting something out of them you know. they're not playing well and sound overconfident </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'd agree with you more if we weren't so ****.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by GingerFurball:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FrankJJ:

Strachan isn't subbing players for dissent, but is fining them. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Does that mean Lennon's been playing for free this season? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why?

Strachan isn't subbing players for dissent, but is fining them. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Because

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Eleanor_Rigby:

Why? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Because </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Because how?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Eleanor_Rigby:

Why? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Because how? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just because ffs icon_rolleyes.gif

Why? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Because how? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just because ffs icon_rolleyes.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Are we nearly there yet? icon_smile.gif

Forgot all about this thread. icon_biggrin.gif

Good to Stevie Smith being rewarded for a very promising couple of months in the first team. Reports of him in the reserves and U19s regularly noted him as a decent talent, so its heartening to see the guy proving them right. Him and Burkey have been two of the few bright spots in a dismal season.

And hopefully Gavin Rae makes an appearance tommorrow at some point. A type of player in a position we are sorely lacking. Sadly he has an injury record we are all too used to, but fingers crossed he can put that behind him now.

Finally, for anyone in Dundee next Tuesday, and at all interested in the history of the construction of Ibrox (and other stadia), author Simon Inglis is giving a talk on designer Archibald Leitch at Dundee Uni.

More details:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Britain's first great football ground designer

The work of the man who shaped most of Britain’s great football grounds will be explored in a lecture at the University of Dundee next week.

Scotsman Archibald Leitch defined the distinctive look of British football grounds during the first half of the 20th Century, and at one point had over half of the top division clubs in England among his clients as well as having other work closer to home, including the surviving main stand at Dens Park in Dundee.

Leitch’s work will be examined by writer Simon Inglis, editor of the Played In Britain series, in his lecture at Duncan of Jordanstone College on Tuesday, part of the current series of the Dundee Conservation Lectures.

Leitch, who was born in Glasgow, did his first stadium designs for Rangers and Kilmarnock, and by the mid 1920s over half of the first division football clubs in England, including Liverpool, Everton, Chelsea, Fulham and Southampton, were among his clients.

He designed the first Old Trafford in 1910. Closer to home, in addition to Ibrox he designed the national stadium, Hampden, and stadia for Hearts, Dundee and Hamilton. Born in 1865, Leitch died in London in 1939.

Today, only 11 of his football stands survive, but in varying condition. Ibrox and Craven Cottage now enjoy statutory protection and are reasonably secure, while Everton’s Goodison Park has a good Leitch stand but only the cores of Leitch stands survive at White Hart Lane and Anfield.

Even closer to home, Dundee’s main stand is another important Arhchibald Leitch survivor and, while it cannot claim to be his most sophisticated work, unlike some of the others it is in good shape having been extensively refurbished some ten years ago.

Simon Inglis is a writer and architectural historian who since the Hillsborough disaster has sat on various advisory bodies on stadium design. He is a passionate and entertaining speaker on Britain’s sporting heritage.

As editor of the "Played in Britain" series, Simon Inglis has contributed a number of titles to the series including Engineering Archie, a study of Archibald Leitch’s life and work.

The lecture takes place at 6 pm in Lecture Theatre 5013 at Duncan of Jordanstone College, Perth Road, Dundee. For members of the public there is a £5 entry fee, students and sponsors of the programme are admitted free. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

going back to PLG for a minute here, I was thinking the other day: if this was a player and we werent getting an answer quickly from them, wouldnt most of it be saying "if they dont want to play for Rangers, why are we bothering buying them?"

obviously it's a good manager we are talking about here and I really want him to come in, but surely we'll get the answer soon?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by McD:

Forgot all about this thread. icon_biggrin.gif

Finally, for anyone in Dundee next Tuesday, and at all interested in the history of the construction of Ibrox (and other stadia), author Simon Inglis is giving a talk on designer Archibald Leitch at Dundee Uni.

More details:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Britain's first great football ground designer

The work of the man who shaped most of Britain’s great football grounds will be explored in a lecture at the University of Dundee next week.

Scotsman Archibald Leitch defined the distinctive look of British football grounds during the first half of the 20th Century, and at one point had over half of the top division clubs in England among his clients as well as having other work closer to home, including the surviving main stand at Dens Park in Dundee.

Leitch’s work will be examined by writer Simon Inglis, editor of the Played In Britain series, in his lecture at Duncan of Jordanstone College on Tuesday, part of the current series of the Dundee Conservation Lectures.

Leitch, who was born in Glasgow, did his first stadium designs for Rangers and Kilmarnock, and by the mid 1920s over half of the first division football clubs in England, including Liverpool, Everton, Chelsea, Fulham and Southampton, were among his clients.

He designed the first Old Trafford in 1910. Closer to home, in addition to Ibrox he designed the national stadium, Hampden, and stadia for Hearts, Dundee and Hamilton. Born in 1865, Leitch died in London in 1939.

Today, only 11 of his football stands survive, but in varying condition. Ibrox and Craven Cottage now enjoy statutory protection and are reasonably secure, while Everton’s Goodison Park has a good Leitch stand but only the cores of Leitch stands survive at White Hart Lane and Anfield.

Even closer to home, Dundee’s main stand is another important Arhchibald Leitch survivor and, while it cannot claim to be his most sophisticated work, unlike some of the others it is in good shape having been extensively refurbished some ten years ago.

Simon Inglis is a writer and architectural historian who since the Hillsborough disaster has sat on various advisory bodies on stadium design. He is a passionate and entertaining speaker on Britain’s sporting heritage.

As editor of the "Played in Britain" series, Simon Inglis has contributed a number of titles to the series including Engineering Archie, a study of Archibald Leitch’s life and work.

The lecture takes place at 6 pm in Lecture Theatre 5013 at Duncan of Jordanstone College, Perth Road, Dundee. For members of the public there is a £5 entry fee, students and sponsors of the programme are admitted free. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Inglis is a good speaker and writer, and Leitch was way ahead of his time. icon14.gif

going back to PLG for a minute here, I was thinking the other day: if this was a player and we werent getting an answer quickly from them, wouldnt most of it be saying "if they dont want to play for Rangers, why are we bothering buying them?"

obviously it's a good manager we are talking about here and I really want him to come in, but surely we'll get the answer soon? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We already have the answer mate, or should I say Murray does, but he wont go public until after Villareal (or after the quarter final/ semi / final)

Yeah, I'd take the silence to be more promising than not. If a deal has been struck, Murray made it clear nothing would be announced until after the Euro ties. This Wednesday thing seemed to come solely from Colleu. No news is good news, and all that (hopefully).

Inglis is a good speaker and writer, and Leitch was way ahead of his time. icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good to hear, Frank. Sounds like an interesting subject.

Not sure I'm going to be able to make it down myself, but I know Dundee Uni's Press Officer and he was badgering me to let Rangers fans know. icon_biggrin.gif

Archived