The Rangers, Champions of Scotland thread: Season 05/06

Ter

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Eleanor_Rigby:

Dunno if this is a p!ss take, but according to Real Radio, hibs.net and a few peple at Tynecastle Romanov is going to out-bid any offer Rangers may table.

Don't want the wee chav at Tyncastle, so I'm hoping this is all just a case of chinese whispers </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Who does Riordan support?

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jorg:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Eleanor_Rigby:

Dunno if this is a p!ss take, but according to Real Radio, hibs.net and a few peple at Tynecastle Romanov is going to out-bid any offer Rangers may table.

Don't want the wee chav at Tyncastle, so I'm hoping this is all just a case of chinese whispers </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Who does Riordan support? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Celtic I think.

Not sure McD....

There are conflicting reports surrounding this. Rumour has it Riordan had a medical for us 2 months ago which might sound strange but I know the same thing happened with Ian Murray.

I think he will sign (or has signed) but the clubs are just sorting out the fee.

Wouldn't be a problem for most players as long as the money is right. Look at Kenny Miller.

Plenty of players play for teams they're not fans of.

Chris Burke was brought up a Celtic fan (and still is according to some)... icon_smile.gif

Very hard to say Jorg. Whilst it is quite easy to say I could never sign for the greatest rivals of the team I grew up supporting, you have to consider your career too so if it is your only shot at the big time shouldn't you grab it?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Haz:

Very hard to say Jorg. Whilst it is quite easy to say I could never sign for the greatest rivals of the team I grew up supporting, you have to consider your career too so if it is your only shot at the big time shouldn't you grab it? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I know what you mean, I am sure it would be a hard decision. Was Kenny Miller a Rangers fan?

• SI Staff

I don't think I could ever do it. If I was good enough to be offered a deal from Celtic and Rangers didn't want me then surely I could sign for the Killie instead. icon_biggrin.gif

Got to be pragmatic about these things. It's 2005. Considering the amount of mercenary foriegners (and Scots!) saturating the game, it would be churlish and pretty obstinate to turn someone down because they supported Celtic.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by McD:

Got to be pragmatic about these things. It's 2005. Considering the amount of mercenary foriegners (and Scots!) saturating the game, it would be churlish and pretty obstinate to turn someone down because they supported Celtic. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I am not saying we should turn players down, I was looking at it from a players point of view. Would they be able to give their all, especially in an old firm.

But how many players actually play for the team they supported as a laddie nowadays? This doesn't just apply to the Old Firm of course, but every rivalry in Scotland and beyond. If the professionalism is there, the team a player supports should have bearing.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Frankie:

Yeah, Riordan is a Celtic fan. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> His Dad's a Hibby as are all the family on the Riordan side, the other side of the family are either Hibs or 'Tic fans. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

From a family member on Hibs.net. There is no way Derek is anything other than a Hibs fan.

i thought he was a hibs fan. regardless, these guys have a different perspective on supporting than fans i'd say. paul lambert i think was a rangers fan? i'm not sure about that one. anyway when the rest of us were developing a fondness for a team as kids, they were busy actually being fantastic footballers. (well fantastic is too strong for a scottish player).

the career comes first.

i would sign for youse, if only to score a bunch of own goals in old firm games

i can believe romanov going for him, apparently we were offered but aren't interested (read 'can't afford').

if i was him i'd be desperate for kaiserslautern to come back in thpugh, would be far better for his career.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gary Toner:

Could you walk out on to the Ibrox pitch in the hoops of Celtic, nope not me :| </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Of course, it's easy for me to say no, sat here on my flabby arse in an office wishing my life away.

My response might be entirely different if I'd worked my entire life at a profession and been offered money and success at a rival. Career's a priority.

In Mo Johnston's book (written when he was still in France) he said something to the effect of "I might consider signing for Rangers.....if they paid me a million pounds cash and bought me Stirling Castle to live in" - but in the end I think we got away with giving him a far cheaper house than that one icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gary Toner:

Of course in reality(or fantasy in our cases) when the contract is on the table then things would tend to change one's view. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, and it all depends on a player's mentality. I do believe there are boys out there who would give it their all, irrespective of who they support.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Richey White:

From a family member on Hibs.net. There is no way Derek is anything other than a Hibs fan. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Fair enough... Just what I was told my a young guy at work who claims to know him... icon_smile.gif

Not sure I'm keen on this last day rush. Clubs seem to leave too much to the last minute and the papers cram four months' of gossip into one day. Makes it interesting, I suppose, but it reminds me of the shops on Christmas Eve. icon_mad.gif

Richey, are you sure that it's a family member that's telling you all this stuff? Is Riordan the one that's fae Muirhouse or is that Scott Brown? As it's the yin fae Muirhouse that's mainly a Celtic family. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

His uncle James that always posts on Hibs.net and the Bounce. No reason at all to doubt him tbh. I'd hazard a guess that this is a totally different opinion to yours (if you've come across him on messageboards) but he's always come across as an honest, eloquent decent guy.

• SI Staff

Yeah, 3-0 the score was. Dado getting 2 goals and Novo getting the other.

Julien Rodriguez, Dado Prso, Gavin Rae, Alex Rae and Brahim Hemdani all played 90 mins.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Frankie:

Eck may start moving folk about again to accommdate others though... /o\ </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

*groan*

Suppose it will depend to a large extent on the transfer movement over the next few hours.

• SI Staff

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by McD:

Good stuff. Hopefully Bernard doesn't just waltz back into the side to be honest. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hopefully he won't. Not been impressed at all. His defensive work is terrible. Caught ball watching all the time.

Archived